• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

If ya'll were to start a new build for either the Bowblade of MLGS, which would it be? I can't decide what to go with after my current run...

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
If ya'll were to start a new build for either the Bowblade of MLGS, which would it be? I can't decide what to go with after my current run...

Neither IMO ~

If you don't mind leveling quite a bit though, a 50 Skill / 50 Bloodtinge build would let you use Bowblade and then any other Bloodtinge or Skill weapon should you get bored.

neoism

some people hate the difficulty of the dlc bosses, but I disagree. the bosses in this dlc are ike super bosses in other japanese games like Terra and data bosses in KH2 or Father Rodin in Bayonetta1/2 etc.

I like that.

yeah lovin the dlc on my 179 character..using a 720att holy sword.. still dieing plenty.

holy shit at the failures boss.. dat ost....

myco666

No because at a certain point in the game they knew you were either about to finish, do the dlcs or start PVPing, so they didnt make it super difficult to max your weapons and armor. You can easily get titanite in the base game and the very first DLC has an excellent area for farming dragon bone and twinklings. Granted Bloodborne did regress back to making respec impossible so you are right in that you are stuck with a very finite number of weapons unless you level yourself out of PVP range but that no excuse to make it so annoying to max your weapons. Dark Souls also had this problem with only three regular slabs available per playthrough and a horrendous drop rate on Darkwraiths but at least wraiths are relatively fun and quick to fight. Unlike speedruning to chalice bosses.

I think giving player ability to easily max everything is a a problem that Dark Souls 2 had. It lacks commitment to anything since you can always just respec your character if you get 'bored'. You can easily get enough to max one and get one to +9 in Bloodborne and considering the low amount of weapons there really isn't much need for more. Now the DLC added new weapons but they also added bunch of chunks and a rock so you can get even more weapons to +10 and +9. Bloodborne is also really short game compared to Dark Souls 2 and you can easily finish out a new build for PVP in 6-8 hours.

Smooth operating on the first phase there. But yeah, using the bow form on him is difficult. I feel he's really strong in mid to long range and he closes the gap really fast, so it's not the best match-up.

After 10+ tries it should go rather smooth haha. Yeah it felt like there wasn't really any good time to actually shoot. I managed to get Visceral state on the first phase once though which I've never seen before. Couldn't really replicate it as it is really hard to hit the head.

That looked much cleaner than me trying to clear a full chalice with the regular +10 Bow Blade. I struggle using it as a standalone weapon. Well done.

Thanks! It really needs some playing to get used to. I would prefer if it was faster and did little less damage on blade mode since it now feels little bit too slow.

Derpot

Btw, I started a new game with a strength/arcane character this time, and I just grabbed the Boom Hammer.
What's your opinion on it, guys ? Is it a good weapon ? I need to try it more when I come back home.

Ratrat

What's the best(easiest) way to start the dlc? New Game or +1? Is it advised to finish most of the game first or can I head right in as soon as its open?

HORRORSHØW

Btw, I started a new game with a strength/arcane character this time, and I just grabbed the Boom Hammer.
What's your opinion on it, guys ? Is it a good weapon ? I need to try it more when I come back home.
i'm using it right now on ng+. it's just okay. not really worth it to use without it being lit up, and igniting/reigniting in between attacks are a little slow.

i need to mess around with it a little more.

konjak

I love it, the R1 -> L1 -> R1 combo is recommended for a fire combo, as well as fire leap attacks. But my impression is that most people find it a "use it if you love the aesthetic"-weapon more than one of the best. Personally, I love it, and it's been strong for me.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".

pizza cutter is life.

myco666

What's the best(easiest) way to start the dlc? New Game or +1? Is it advised to finish most of the game first or can I head right in as soon as its open?

On NG you can always overlevel to make the DLC much easier. You can't really overlevel that much in NG+. As for when to enter you should be around 50-65 range when entering the DLC and you will get bunch of echoes to level up if you feel underleveled. I would also to get your weapon to +9 before going in as everything has so much health.

bigjig

Finally beat Maria after two nights of trying, what a thrill! Easily one of my favorite bosses in the whole souls series :)

Nullabe

It's depends. If you want some good challenge, you can finish the game NG solo and then beat the DLC NG+.
I did that, it was pretty cool. I used coop to rush the beggining of my NG+ to start the DLC.

I finished the DLC yesterday, what an amazing piece of art. I loved every moment of it.

Bloodborne is my GOTY. I'm definitly sure of that.

EDIT : oshit i didn't read the word "easiest", so my post is off topic. sadness.

Nullabe

Finally beat Maria after two nights of trying, what a thrill! Easily one of my favorite bosses in the whole souls series :)

Maria is a beast. I loved the hunter like bosses too. The DLC bosses are outstanding (except, Laurence, he is bullshit, full of bullshit).

Ratrat

On NG you can always overlevel to make the DLC much easier. You can't really overlevel that much in NG+. As for when to enter you should be around 50-65 range when entering the DLC and you will get bunch of echoes to level up if you feel underleveled. I would also to get your weapon to +9 before going in as everything has so much health.

So...if I just run through and get to the dlc in say 6-7 hours on New Game, will my experience just be 'hard' or 'infuriating'? If its too much than I'll just play the main story and tackle the dlc in postgame.

It's depends. If you want some good challenge, you can finish the game NG solo and then beat the DLC NG+.
I did that, it was pretty cool. I used coop to rush the beggining of my NG+ to start the DLC.

I finished the DLC yesterday, what an amazing piece of art. I loved every moment of it.

Bloodborne is my GOTY. I'm definitly sure of that.

EDIT : oshit i didn't read the word "easiest", so my post is off topic. sadness.

Oh, I don't mind a challenge in spite of being pretty shit. I just read quite a few posts raging about the difficulty or doing ridiculously little damage. I'm fine with bosses dealing damage or even one shoting you with strong attacks. Just not a fan of chipping away health for 40 minutes. Especially because I only play offline.

myco666

So...if I just run through and get to the dlc in say 6-7 hours on New Game, will my experience just be 'hard' or 'infuriating'? If its too much than I'll just play the main story and tackle the dlc in postgame.

Oh, I don't mind a challenge in spite of being pretty shit. I just read quite a few posts raging about the difficulty or doing ridiculously little damage. I'm fine with bosses dealing damage or even one shoting you with strong attacks. Just not a fan of chipping away health for 40 minutes. Especially because I only play offline.

If you enter it as soon as possible you will probably be around lvl40 which atleast to me sounds too low. Haven't tried that low levels though but still. I would go there after Rom to get the 'intented' experience. As long as you have +9 weapon your damage output should be enough for NG and you even get a Blood Rock in the DLC to get your weapon to +10.

edit. It would be "infuriating" if you go early as possible.

Derpot

Grimløck;187523127 said:
i'm using it right now on ng+. it's just okay. not really worth it to use without it being lit up, and igniting/reigniting in between attacks are a little slow.

i need to mess around with it a little more.

I love it, the R1 -> L1 -> R1 combo is recommended for a fire combo, as well as fire leap attacks. But my impression is that most people find it a "use it if you love the aesthetic"-weapon more than one of the best. Personally, I love it, and it's been strong for me.

Hmm okay, so it's a good weapon, but for a strength/arcane build, Moonlight Sword seems to be the best option.

pizza cutter is life.

Haha well, I still need to get this one, but since my character is only lvl 17, I ran like a mad (wo)man through the Hunter's Nightmare to grab the Boom Hammer. I don't know if I can do it for the Whirligig Saw !

myco666

Hmm okay, so it's a good weapon, but for a strength/arcane build, Moonlight Sword seems to be the best option.

Haha well, I still need to get this one, but since my character is only lvl 17, I ran like a mad (wo)man through the Hunter's Nightmare to grab the Boom Hammer. I don't know if I can do it for the Whirligig Saw !

Don't you need to kill hunter for the Boom Hammer? Whirligig Saw is just laying around and you can run there rather easily.

Ratrat

If you enter it as soon as possible you will probably be around lvl40 which atleast to me sounds too low. Haven't tried that low levels though but still. I would go there after Rom to get the 'intented' experience. As long as you have +9 weapon your damage output should be enough for NG and you even get a Blood Rock in the DLC to get your weapon to +10.

edit. It would be "infuriating" if you go early as possible.

Thanks. Yeah, sounds like I should just do it post game. But If I reach level 50 before then I'll it a shot.

One thing I'd have like to see introduced is if you spam bullets on a hunter boss they do the same back to you or some such. Maria isn't all that hard to parry. Then add in that you can fish for parries till the cows come home it takes a bit of bite out of the fight. Although I did get parried by her once. No idea how.

Is the gatling gun any good? I'm afraid of wasting chunks. At +6 even with bone marrow ash it seems pathetic, but maybe that's my low BT.

I got it up to +8 and it wasn't performing super well. I wasn't using a Bloodtinge build, though the scaling on it is pretty ass anyway so I'm not sure how much of a difference it would make.

Is the gatling gun any good? I'm afraid of wasting chunks. At +6 even with bone marrow ash it seems pathetic, but maybe that's my low BT.

It's a pile of shit, don't go for it. I know it looks cool and when the DLC was launched I went for it right away, but it's absolutely terrible. I'm not even sure you can "parry" with it. At least it doesn't work in a way that you can just keep firing and hope to get lucky on enemies with small parry windows like I had hoped, but I might be wrong there. Just haven't been able to while using it. As for damage, it's also absolute crap, it doesn't get any better even at +10 and a good gem. Bone marrow ash is also wasted on it no matter what, yeah. So just...skip that one. It's probably the worst weapon out of ALL the DLC weapons.

I'm using a 50 BT build btw, just so you know.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
It's a pile of shit, don't go for it. I know it looks cool and when the DLC was launched I went for it right away, but it's absolutely terrible. I'm not even sure you can "parry" with it. At least it doesn't work in a way that you can just keep firing and hope to get lucky on enemies with small parry windows like I had hoped, but I might be wrong there. Just haven't been able to while using it. As for damage, it's also absolute crap, it doesn't get any better even at +10 and a good gem. Bone marrow ash is also wasted on it no matter what, yeah. So just...skip that one. It's probably the worst weapon out of ALL the DLC weapons.

I'm using a 50 BT build btw, just so you know.
Damn that's disappointing. Oh well thanks for the info.

I'm apparently missing one of the new weapons since I don't have that trophy yet. I don't care about trophies whatsoever, but I'm curious as to what I missed. Is one of the new weapons purchase-only?

Edit: oh, it's probably the piercing rifle, I saw that in the store but didn't buy it yet. Is that any good? :\ Seems like the new guns are kinda crap.

myco666

I'm apparently missing one of the new weapons since I don't have that trophy yet. I don't care about trophies whatsoever, but I'm curious as to what I missed. Is one of the new weapons purchase-only?

Piercing Rifle needs to be bought atleast as far as I know.

edit.
It has lower damage than Evelyn or RP but it should stun enemies.

Arjen

Edit: oh, it's probably the piercing rifle, I saw that in the store but didn't buy it yet. Is that any good? :\ Seems like the new guns are kinda crap.

Yeah piercing rifle is buy only, was the last weapon I got as well.

That's probably it yeah, I vaguely recall you get a badge thing from somewhere, so hope that's it. Otherwise it might be the bloodletter?

And personally, I don't like the piercing rifle either. Too slow for adequate parrying, range isn't too good either from what I remember. The church canon isn't TOO bad though, I mean the range and power is shorter than the regular canon but you can get more shots in due to the bullet requirement being less severe. So at least that one has something of an upside. But overall, the guns in the DLC haven't come anywhere close to the vanilla stuff frankly.

Can you parry with the fists of gratia?

No, unless they changed it in the patch.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Hmm guess I should try the church cannon. But it's hard to decide to try something when chunks are so rare and rocks are even worse, it feels like a waste if it ends up being mediocre. Wish there were a better way to farm them (like, say, a PvP reward... xD).

Is the fist any good? I can't see a use for that shit.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Hmm guess I should try the church cannon. But it's hard to decide to try something when chunks are so rare and rocks are even worse, it feels like a waste if it ends up being mediocre. Wish there were a better way to farm them (like, say, a PvP reward... xD).

No. I don't think the church cannon is so great either.

On the bright side, I think you've asked about all the mediocre weapons. Anything next should be pretty good.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I think giving player ability to easily max everything is a a problem that Dark Souls 2 had. It lacks commitment to anything since you can always just respec your character if you get 'bored'. You can easily get enough to max one and get one to +9 in Bloodborne and considering the low amount of weapons there really isn't much need for more. Now the DLC added new weapons but they also added bunch of chunks and a rock so you can get even more weapons to +10 and +9. Bloodborne is also really short game compared to Dark Souls 2 and you can easily finish out a new build for PVP in 6-8 hours.

I dont see any value in commitment to build or making it harder to try many new weapons. At least not a Souls game. Not if they actually care about PVP.

Roussow

OoK has tons of health, I've got his patterns down (at least in the first form), but god damn, this is going to take some time.

Edit: Fucker went down hard. Took every vial I had with him.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

If you want to do damage just stick with Repeating Pistol. It shits on all the other guns/magic/weapons from great heights in terms of potential ranged damage :)

You can farm chunks pretty easily though. I think this one 5pwujscd chalice dungeon you can get to the boss REALLY fast, like I think it was left and then up the stairs and follow it up for the lever. Like 2 minutes. Equip an eye rune and they should drop 1 to 2 chunks per fight. Watchers as boss btw, you can dispose of them real quick with viscerals.

And well, the fist....I dunno really, staggering works well but no parry on it. Maybe it has PVP use, I dunno, but PVE seems kinda useless to me for the most part. But I haven't tested it much.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
No. I don't think the church cannon is so great either.

On the bright side, I think you've asked about all the mediocre weapons. Anything next should be pretty good.
Hahaha, well, I already tried some of them of course, but I'm just really reluctant to waste chunks on guns.

I dont see any value in commitment to build or making it harder to try many new weapons. At least not a Souls game.
Yeah, I don't mind making new characters to specialize in some weapons or playstyles anyway, so it's not like the presence of abundant ore and Soul Vessels stopped me from making new toons in Dark Souls 2.

You can farm chunks pretty easily though. I think this one 5pwujscd chalice dungeon you can get to the boss REALLY fast, like I think it was left and then up the stairs and follow it up for the lever. Like 2 minutes. Equip an eye rune and they should drop 1 to 2 chunks per fight. Watchers as boss btw, you can dispose of them real quick with viscerals.
Oh, interesting. Gonna have to look into that, thanks.

I'd recommend you play a normal new game and enter the DLC relatively early on to check it out and pick up some weapons (they're lying around all over the place in the first area). Then leave when you get frustrated (for example: when you get to the first boss and realize there's no way in hell you're killing him) and do other stuff, then come back once you're done with the rest of the main game and pushing level 60-70.

I don't think doing the DLC for the first time on NG+ is a good idea. It's obviously tuned with NG in mind.

myco666

I dont see any value in commitment to build or making it harder to try many new weapons. At least not a Souls game. Not if they actually care about PVP.

I get what you mean and why you don't see any value in it but I disagree with you. I much prefer that you actually have to decide where you use your valuable resources rather than 'oh I can always fix this if it turns out to be bad'. Also I guess I don't care about PVP that much but it is really fast to roll out a new build for specific weapon for PVP purposes and if you really want to PVP you will go through those Chalices to get better gems and you get bunch of chunks and apparently even rocks while doing them.

edit.
Also you can try out all weapons without upgrading them. Just save some chunks so that you can upgrade a weapon you like once you've tried them out.

Anyone think this dlc is too hard on ng plus?

Not really. DLC is supposed to be hard compared to main game. I've played it through on NG before going to NG+ though.

Akara

Banned
I don't know why they made Church Cannon, and G Gun so bad. Rosmarinus and Flamesprayer do way more damage then G gun and cannon does more then church cannon LOL. Maybe G gun needs to be at like 99 bloodtinge??

Carcetti

Now that I have a high STR pizzacutter character in new game plus and will get beast mode for her too, and got a high arc character the parasite +10, I really want to experience a skill/bloodtinge character to see other weapons. What are the two best new weapons for skill/blood so I can save my Rocks for those?

TEH-CJ

Banned
Grimløck;187525629 said:
what level are you?

133 :\

I consider my self pretty damn good at Bloodborne but god damn it man the enemies hit hard! I just cant seem to judge these new enemies attack patterns. Especially the hunters with that long reach chain weapon, that you can't even dodge.

just cant find my groove like I did with the vanilla game.

cheesekao

I don't know why they made Church Cannon, and G Gun so bad. Rosmarinus and Flamesprayer do way more damage then G gun and cannon does more then church cannon LOL. Maybe G gun needs to be at like 99 bloodtinge??
Gatling Gun is a pvp weapon designed to chase back dash healing.

Top Bottom