• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

NEO0MJ

Honestly I'm just so sick of the non-DLC that I don't want to go back. It's just a shame that a character I put so much time into is a liability to enjoying DLC. DLC should not endorse starting the game over. Just my opinion; it is bad design even if it is common for the series. And I am a big fan of DeS & BB.

Edit: Misread your post. Not sure how they can go about fixing this. NG+ is supposed to be more challenging though because you eventually reach a point of diminishing returns regarding stats the increase in character level can't keep up with the enemy power up.

gunbo13

Edit: Misread your post. Not sure how they can go about fixing this. NG+ is supposed to be more challenging though because you eventually reach a point of diminishing returns regarding stats the increase in character level can't keep up with the enemy power up.
Yea, it is tough. It's a problem with NG type games and DLC really. I think the way to fix it is to be able to downgrade characters for the DLC. Like I can respec my character for lvl80 when I enter the DLC. Then I can revert it otherwise. Scaling would be set to normal.

So I finally have time now to tackle The Old Hunters and realized I may have repurposed the flash drive I had kept my pre-ending battle save on and so I likely will have to tackle TOO via a NG+ run. For those of you that played TOO on NG+ or higher, how much harder was the DLC content? Are the enemies just less squishy?

Edit: Just read the above posts. So anything higher than a Lvl 50 character would be fine for the DLC on NG+? If so... muwahahahahahaha

myco666

Honestly I'm just so sick of the non-DLC that I don't want to go back. It's just a shame that a character I put so much time into is a liability to enjoying DLC. DLC should not endorse starting the game over. Just my opinion; it is bad design even if it is common for the series. And I am a big fan of DeS & BB.

Yeah I can see why it is a problem. I don't mind how it is now since I roll new characters all the time and I really like to do it.

So I finally have time now to tackle The Old Hunters and realized I may have repurposed the flash drive I had kept my pre-ending battle save on and so I likely will have to tackle TOO via a NG+ run. For those of you that played TOO on NG+ or higher, how much harder was the DLC content? Are the enemies just less squishy?

Edit: Just read the above posts. So anything higher than a Lvl 50 character would be fine for the DLC on NG+? If so... muwahahahahahaha

Nah for NG+ you want to be closer to lvl100 and even then it is really punishing.

is the summoning supposed to work now in this game? had tons of problems when i played it last summer.. and now still. my friend just can't seem to be able to summon me, incredibly frustrating.. i want to help him beat Amelia in his NG+ so we can explore the DLC together but nope, the password summoning just doesn't fucking work.

i am really tired of From's shoddy online tbh. ever since Demon's Souls i've had constant issues with each release (while other online games work fine).

Nah for NG+ you want to be closer to lvl100 and even then it is really punishing.

Ok. Can't remember what my level was when I finally finished everything. I'm guessing 150 at least considering I hadn't messed with Arcane much until I started grinding echoes towards the end, and ended up leveling it to 40 so I could play with A Call Beyond. Love me those Chalice Dungeons :)

gunbo13

Yeah I can see why it is a problem. I don't mind how it is now since I roll new characters all the time and I really like to do it.
Well on one hand, it is an ultimate challenge in BB to beat new bosses on NG+4 right off the bat. So if I persevere, then I got that going at the very least. But boy is it a rough path to take.

myco666

Ok. Can't remember what my level was when I finally finished everything. I'm guessing 150 at least considering I hadn't messed with Arcane much until I started grinding echoes towards the end, and ended up leveling it to 40 so I could play with A Call Beyond. Love me those Chalice Dungeons :)

As long as you have decent amount of Vit, +10 weapon with decent gems and high damage stats you should be fine for NG+.

Well on one hand, it is an ultimate challenge in BB to beat new bosses on NG+4 right off the bat. So if I persevere, then I got that going at the very least. But boy is it a rough path to take.

Can't imagine learning those bosses on that high NG cycle. Last DLC boss was pain in the ass on NG even when overleveled.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I hate when I get a double KO with an enemy and lose on their drop. Was in NG+3 with this character (my first one) and wanted to try the Madaras Whistle, but he 2HKOs me. Double KO, no whistle. Sigh.

Either respawn the item or just make it so that we get it automatically, grrr.

I just restarted the base game a couple days ago (got it at launch but stopped because other things got in the way)...so I just started fresh

I haven't done any of the bosses yet since I just wanted to get used to the gameplay again. Would getting the DLC change anything that early on in the game? I know you have to get past a certain point to start the expansion areas.

Sayad

I hate when I get a double KO with an enemy and lose on their drop. Was in NG+3 with this character (my first one) and wanted to try the Madaras Whistle, but he 2HKOs me. Double KO, no whistle. Sigh.

Either respawn the item or just make it so that we get it automatically, grrr.
My first(and only) fight against Madara he ambushed me while I was fighting the grunts on the bridge, I backed off near the check point to heal, he used Madaras Whistle while I was waaay out of range and then back dashed off the cliff! I got the item, but not the fight. :(

Kazaam

Normal enemies in DLC on NG+4 are tough but very beatable. The bosses though...are insane. The hardest chalice bosses are easier then DLC bosses on NG+4.

Can't imagine learning those bosses on that high NG cycle. Last DLC boss was pain in the ass on NG even when overleveled.

I would consider the bosses just as you described the normal enemies, "tough, but very beatable". I started the DLC on NG+++ with a level between 160 and 170 and while it was difficult and some bosses were quite frustrating (I'm looking at you
Laurence
), once you figure them out they become quite easy (or better put, very beatable). Which is why NG++++ for me now seems obviously much easier. Also I personally found some chalice bosses much more difficult than the bosses in the DLC.

Actually, while a lot of people complain about the issue of balancing difficulty between the DLC and the main game, I personally think it's quite great. I'm amazed they managed to create the same sense of difficulty I felt when I first played Bloodborne (even tho I started the DLC in NG+++ and I can sort of breeze through the main game now). First time I played Bloodborne some bosses seemed "insane" at first, but after understanding them they became "very beatable".

Also for the person asking about the whirligig saw weapon, the L2 attack on it is in my opinion the most OP thing against most enemies. It makes the
well fight in fishing hamlet
a joke and
Laurence's second phase
so much easier. I posted a few pages ago a video with the strategy for the
well
with that weapon, but I think it got overlooked so I'll bump it in case it helps anyone.
Here you go (Enemy spoilers for last DLC stage)

gunbo13

I would consider the bosses just as you described the normal enemies, "tough, but very beatable". I started the DLC on NG+++ with a level between 160 and 170 and while it was difficult and some bosses were quite frustrating (I'm looking at you
Laurence
), once you figure them out they become quite easy (or better put, very beatable).
I've played enough of BB. NG+4 DLC bosses are harder than all vanilla at NG+#. Chalice dungeons are a little more difficult to call, mostly because I block out the annoying ones from memory.

Your play-style also matters a lot. Which is why I don't get caught up in how I play, no items except potions, BoM/Burial, stylish wear only, etc... There are definitely a lot of weapons/armor/item combinations that work much better than what I run. That's not the point though. The problem is that I don't want to experience NG+4 just because I have a high level NG+4 character. NG+4 is not how BB starts; not even close. BB starts with damage that matters and damage taken that is painful. The problem with these NG+4 bosses is mostly their health. I had to hit Ludwig with probably around 90-100 hits. That is a ton of attacks and is not early vanilla BB. You also have to dodge basically perfect or you die.

It's bad design. There should be a way to put your NG characters into the DLC content, down leveling and removing scaling. The argument that the scaling makes it feel like starting vanilla BB is simply not true. And my experience with this DLC is a damn grind due to the boss health. It frankly kills 90% of the enjoyment because I am digging the levels.

SkylineRKR

Finally beat the hidden boss on NG+.

He wasn't that bad, just keep close and to his back right. When he transforms you can hit him from the side when he spits. But much like Cleric Beast, its a fight against the camera. After that I ran through Forbidden Woods with Kygo in my headphones and no sound. It was hilariously easy. Bodied the Shadows and quit. Its frustrating that I have to grab some missing hunter tools for my Platinum.

For NG+ I recommend level 120 and 40 vitality. Its very tough content. It also helps to do the chalice dungeons on forehand, I had 3 level 10 weapons and some 27.2% gems when I started the DLC. Over 800 att. First boss was still hard, the other few were a pushover. Last boss so so and hidden boss is frustrating.

RiggyRob

Even later than yesterday - episode 25, Pimmsy vs. Bloodletting Beast: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pKk2dlbc6E

Pimmsy went back to the cane for this fight specifically because it can be buffed with Fire Paper and it has much better range to hit the Bloodletting Beast's head in the whip mode.

I'm surprised having two NPC summons didn't affect its health too much, I was sure that she'd have to wail on him for ages. She did manage to mostly avoid the bullshit rocket punches, but then she was a much higher level than I was when I attempted the fight.

We haven't even attempted the Hintertomb chalices, so I don't actually know what the deal with Madman Wallar is at all.

ramyeon

Bowblade seems like a really good fit for my Skill/Bloodtinge build alongside the Chikage. But the Rakuyo is just too damn cool.

Bowblade seems like a really good fit for my Skill/Bloodtinge build alongside the Chikage. But the Rakuyo is just too damn cool.

I rock the Chikage along with the Bowblade and Yamamura armor. Shit's dope

EDIT:
Ebrietas really is a pushover with Bowblade. Took the chalice dungeon version down easy in NG+.

It is such a good boss-slayer. I was able to beat
Laurence's
final form relatively pain free with it.

neoism

The difference between a well planned BL 100 and BL 500 is pretty miniscule to be honest. Of course you have more options though.

i understand why pople do it i just like more options manly because im a one character player.. i dont make "build characters" id rather just make one all character so i can choose on the fly.... what to play... i just find it odd an i guess its why the game isnt as hard as for some gaffers but playing on like ng++ at level 100 or less or even 120 just seems to put extra difficulty there thats not needed.. personally i feel this game is the best difficulty out of all of from games...

demS is reallllllly hard
DS is reallly hard..
ds2 is just about right...
BB is definitely the easiest but still got some hard parts... but just feels the best...for the first time through

i just mastered the levling in these games once i kill a boss but still cant level id go farm a little in an area i know and get a level or two and then go to a new area i dont know...with little souls/echoes
the true difficulty in these games is that not knowing, exploring a new area and not knowing what could happen...its also the best thing about it other than dat feel you get from beating a boss after 10 or more trys...no games pump your blood like from games

I accidentally discovered a super short cut in lower Loran dungeon. You can get to layer 4 right from the beginning of layer 1. Made a video of it, in case anyone is interested.
https://youtu.be/84o6bf_c9ww

Well, it does look like you fell down about three layers. Never thought they were actually connected that way, though, I always figured each layer transition was basically a DS2 style area non-sequitur.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Well, all trophies successfully obtained.

Rating for DLC's bosses in terms of coolness factor:

Maria
Ludwig
Orphan of Kos
Laurence
Living Failures

Rating for DLC bosses in terms of BULLSHIT factor:

Maria
(ugh so goddamn relentless, can't even heal properly due to her INSANE range and little to no gap in-between the attacks. I died to her more times than any other bosses in the DLC)
Orphan of Kos
: massive HP even in NG, unpredictable attack pattern... also boasts insane range and relentlessness though IMO in a somewhat lesser degree than
Maria
. That HP though........ my God.....
Ludwig
(not really that bad, at least in NG)
Laurence
(Bowblade FTW)
Living Failures
(meh)

ramyeon

Maria
Ludwig
Orphan of Kos
Laurence
Living Failures

Maria
(ugh so goddamn relentless, can't even heal properly due to her INSANE range and little to no gap in-between the attacks. I died to her more times than any other bosses in the DLC)
Orphan of Kos
: massive HP even in NG, unpredictable attack pattern... also boasts insane range and relentlessness though IMO in a somewhat lesser degree than
Maria
Ludwig
Laurence
(Bowblade FTW)
Living Failures
(meh)
Didn't have much of an issue with Maria at all - got her on my first go and the fight was very reminiscent of the Cainhurst Hunter fight for me. Good parry timing makes quick work of her really, and I've always found human enemies to have easier to predict patterns than the beasts in BB.

I'd rate them so far....

Ludwig
Maria
Living Failures

In terms of difficulty - Maria definitely my favourite so far though. Ludwig was probably a lot harder for me because I was rusty from not playing the game for a couple of months.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Didn't have much of an issue with Maria at all - got her on my first go and the fight was very reminiscent of the Cainhurst Hunter fight for me. Good parry timing makes quick work of her really, and I've always found human enemies to have easier to predict patterns than the beasts in BB.

I'd rate them so far....

Ludwig
Maria
Living Failures

In terms of difficulty - Maria definitely my favourite so far though. Ludwig was probably a lot harder for me because I was rusty from not playing the game for a couple of months.

Grand Cathedral Hunter is a lot easier for me compared to her: in fact, I can always reliably defeat him with any of my character first time I engaged him in combat. He gives you plenty of breathing room where you can heal or do whatever in between his attacks. And he's quite easy to parry too/

That lady though... o_O Still need to learn her pattern I guess but hot damn she's so relentless and gives almost no breathing room at all! I died to her about 4 times before I managed to claim my victory.

In a slightly more comforting note to my damaged confidence due to her, hahah, I managed to beat the Well in my 1st try, not using the Shaman Bone Blade. Quite easy, to be honest, since my character can luckily deal enough damage to kill the 1st shark before the 2nd one comes down.

Roussow

How do people feel about arcane builds after this dlc? I always thought it was kind of lacking, at least compared to a bloodtinge build. How practical is it now to start a new game primarily focused on arcane now?

Kazaam

reminiscent of the Cainhurst Hunter fight for me.

If that's the hunter I think you're referring to, first time I fought him was probably my favourite moment in the whole game when it comes to fights and probably the most intense wise. It was also probably the longest fight I had against anything other than a person and at one point it started looking like ballet. I have very fond memories of that fight (obviously).
Maria on the other hand, while really cool, seemed so much less of a challenge when attempted (killed her on my second attempt without much hassle). Maybe you're right and it's just so reminiscent, I was just used to it. I'm actually quite jealous of people who had trouble with Maria, seems like an extremely epic fight presentation wise.

Grand Cathedral Hunter is a lot easier for me compared to her: in fact, I can always reliably defeat him with any of my character first time I engaged him in combat. He gives you plenty of breathing room where you can heal or do whatever in between his attacks. And he's quite easy to parry too/

That lady though... o_O Still need to learn her pattern I guess but hot damn she's so relentless and gives almost no breathing room at all! I died to her about 4 times before I managed to claim my victory.

Haha. I love when this happens. Just how different experiences with these games can be.

Definity

Finally killed the O
rphan of Kos
. Had to change my tactics a bit but was glad to get him out of the way. Guess the only thing I have left to do is the
Laurence
fight now. Loved the DLC!

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Been picking up some Bloodborne goodies over the last few months; thought you guys might like to see:

23796862111_6ce9f9be04_b.jpg

23583637890_394f937ef2_b.jpg

23583616940_7b555ea08d_b.jpg

23879354825_a0a3c6f327_b.jpg

Also for the person asking about the whirligig saw weapon, the L2 attack on it is in my opinion the most OP thing against most enemies.

um... L2 attack? does every weapon in transformed mode have an L2 attack?

.... did I play this game 100+ hours and somehow never notice this? o_O

ramyeon

If that's the hunter I think you're referring to, first time I fought him was probably my favourite moment in the whole game when it comes to fights and probably the most intense wise. It was also probably the longest fight I had against anything other than a person and at one point it started looking like ballet. I have very fond memories of that fight (obviously).
Maria on the other hand, while really cool, seemed so much less of a challenge when attempted (killed her on my second attempt without much hassle). Maybe you're right and it's just so reminiscent, I was just used to it. I'm actually quite jealous of people who had trouble with Maria, seems like an extremely epic fight presentation wise.
Yeah that's the one. Still my favourite fight in the game, and one I look forward to on every play through. They're much easier to take down with well timed shots/parries but heaps of fun nonetheless.
Maria felt like an easier version of that fight to me - no heals and less bullet spamming. It was still a great fight though, amazing atmosphere.

Trakan

I've been playing Bloodborne a lot lately since the DLC hit and while I enjoy it, it makes me really excited for DS3. I prefer the mechanics in DS so much more. Coop will work better, Invasions will work better, and the bosses won't have crazy HP/stamina.

I get making unique mechanics for a new IP like bell maidens, etc, but if you're going to do that at least make sure they work. I never understood the HP penalty in coop either. I also can't wait to never have to farm for gems again and my weapon will just be great on its own.

NEO0MJ

How do people feel about arcane builds after this dlc? I always thought it was kind of lacking, at least compared to a bloodtinge build. How practical is it now to start a new game primarily focused on arcane now?

They added two more spells, buffed the old ones, and introduced a pure arcane scaling weapons and another that benefits heavily from it in its transformed state. While not in the level of bloodtinge it's better than before.

laxu

Maria
Orphan of Kos
Maria
Ludwig
Laurence
(Bowblade FTW)
Living Failures
(meh)
Maria and OoK
are almost totally predictable. Does take a while to learn the attack patterns and how to dodge them though.
Laurence's
sweep attacks are a bitch though.

myco666

Laurence
), once you figure them out they become quite easy (or better put, very beatable). Which is why NG++++ for me now seems obviously much easier. Also I personally found some chalice bosses much more difficult than the bosses in the DLC.

Actually, while a lot of people complain about the issue of balancing difficulty between the DLC and the main game, I personally think it's quite great. I'm amazed they managed to create the same sense of difficulty I felt when I first played Bloodborne (even tho I started the DLC in NG+++ and I can sort of breeze through the main game now). First time I played Bloodborne some bosses seemed "insane" at first, but after understanding them they became "very beatable".

Also for the person asking about the whirligig saw weapon, the L2 attack on it is in my opinion the most OP thing against most enemies. It makes the
a joke and
Laurence's second phase
well
with that weapon, but I think it got overlooked so I'll bump it in case it helps anyone.

Balancing is still way off compared to main game even if you like the difficulty. Ludwig has more health and does more damage than last boss of the main game and the recommended level for Ludwig is 20-30 levels less and you shouldn't have +10 weapon at that point. I like that it is difficult but the main game doesn't prepare you for DLC at all considering how much easier it is.

Maria
Ludwig
Orphan of Kos
Laurence
Living Failures

Maria
Orphan of Kos
Maria
Ludwig
Laurence
(Bowblade FTW)
Living Failures
(meh)

Really?
Maria
was the hardest? I thought she was pretty easy considering you can get parries very easily and almost every single hit will stun her so that you can just spam R1 and dodge once you almost run out of stamina.

addyb

Laurence

a joke and
Laurence's second phase
well

LOL i never knew there was an attack where you just kept the blade out spinning like that.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Maria is easy with a fast weapon, and a pain in the ass with a slow weapon. I struggled against her with the Kirkhammer myself.

Man the Living Failures are not pushovers at NG+3. Killed them with 0 vials left lol.

I actually fought the Grand Cathedral Hunter on my way to the DLC on NG+4, because I forgot he was there and just assumed I needed to go there to enter the DLC because the lantern location disappeared as a warp point.

He's only really difficult because of his absurd bullet damage. Otherwise, he's basically like fighting another player who uses Chikage, just with more health.

Going to start this next over Christmas, looking forward to going back. With the Trophies, are there any missable ones? Quests you can mess up, bosses you can miss etc?

Cheers!

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I actually fought the Grand Cathedral Hunter on my way to the DLC on NG+4, because I forgot he was there and just assumed I needed to go there to enter the DLC because the lantern location disappeared as a warp point.

He's only really difficult because of his absurd bullet damage. Otherwise, he's basically like fighting another player who uses Chikage, just with more health.
IMO he's harder at NG than NG+. Or, well, first time I fought him was at NG++ and he wasn't a big deal. But fighting him early into NG on another character and... ouch.

Going to start this next over Christmas, looking forward to going back. With the Trophies, are there any missable ones? Quests you can mess up, bosses you can miss etc?

Cheers!
There are missables, but there are trophies for each of the 3 endings anyway so you need to play the game 3 times to get them all. Of course, that is unless you use the USB save trick like a low-life cheater. ;)

raven777

The newest update (v 1.09) has been released.

Major content for update 1.09:

Changes to weapons
The strength and stamina cost for several weapons has been adjusted.

Changes to Insight Shop
 ・In order to trade for the Blood stone Chuck, the necessary amount of Insight has been changed from 30 to 20.
 ・Trading for the Blood Rock is now possible. 60 pieces of Insight are required.
 ※ A certain portion of the main game must been cleared in order to access the above.

Several other fixes and adjustments have been made.

Please look forward to the implementation of the newest update.
Thank you for playing Bloodborne. Keep up the hunt.

http://www.jp.playstation.com/op/bloodborne/news/2015/12/update109.html

Eyeron

So there's a hunter at the Forbidden Woods lamp now and he wrecked me. Did I do something to prompt this? I've played through this area several times and never encountered him.

Edit

I see there was a patch. Very little info on the wiki about this NPC. Appears to be new. Interesting.

Top Bottom