• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

cheesekao

+8 stupid kirkhammer- the wep i never use!

made it into 2h version, got them next to each other, hugged the center of the cave, backed up in circles while doing forward jumps at angles so they couldnt hit me well. killed them with plenty of vials left!
You could've just shaman bone blade one of them to make things easier.

MilkBeard

btw..

you can get the Uncanny/Lost version of the new weapons from a vendor in the Chalice Dungeons. (you need to have the normal weapon first)

if you want to go there easy..

Use the code Sp5wddug to make dungeon. There is a vendor in a hallway,This is a basic dungeon, depth 1, Just go up the ladder in the main area, look for the hallway and the vendor is at the end.

Just to add, I found the bath shop after a little bit of digging. He indeed sells the different versions of the new weapons. He also sells regular items, but they are more expensive. However, you can buy poison knives here if you want which is nice, and rope molotov cocktails, which I have never heard of before. Pretty interesting.

myco666

.Also great time to point out that souls is in a very interesting place where random people take half the time to finish the game as others doing the exact same areas and I don't have a very good explanation for this.

Well I would say getting stuck on a boss is the biggest thing to get that playtime higher. Others might play more carefully in general as in walk slowly to new areas etc. Once I realized I can take out most enemies fast I decided to jog all the time. The main game of Bloodborne can be beaten in 8hours with every item picked without rushing and running away from enemies (aside from boss runs if you died).

4th BOSS IS DOWN. That was so intense holy shit. Easily one of the best bosses and really love the arena. Will upload video later.

Also people asking about the length and all that it really depends on your build and skill. I beat the story in 5 hours and I only got stuck on one boss as others went down second try. So I think 3-5hours is good approximation on the minimium length of the DLC. I also think that even if you get it done fast it is still worth it as the areas have really good level design and the art direction is maybe even better than it was in the base game. Highly recommending this even if the price tag is high.

myco666

What's the upgrade material quantity like? Any improvement of chunks drop rates in the new area?

Didn't get any drops or atleast I didn't notice picking any up from enemies. I have 14 atm and I already used 8 to upgrade one new weapon so you should be able to get atleast one of the new weapons up to +10 with the materials from the DLC.

Hanmik

Anyone know how to activate the
Laurence
boss fight?

yes
Before you go to the research hall, there is this big shrine thing you ride to get there. Make the elevator go up, but jump off so that you stay in the room. Then a new altar will appear with an item. Now just go to Laurence

Didn't get any drops or atleast I didn't notice picking any up from enemies. I have 14 atm and I already used 8 to upgrade one new weapon so you should be able to get atleast one of the new weapons up to +10 with the materials from the DLC.

That's my main concern- 10 new trick weapons and 5 new side weapon is fine and all but if you can't upgrade them to full then it's meaningless sigh...

mxgt

Banned
oh man, some of these impressions.

I'm level 155 on NG+++ and ready to start the DLC when I get home. preparing to get destroyed, gonna be great.

gunstarhero

I'm feeling at level 96 in ng + like I'm severely outgunned on the first boss and a couple of the hunters.

I feel Like if I jumped 20 levels it'd be a little closer to ng

Ug. I'm currently lvl 99 in NG+ with 37VIT, 28END and 50STR and this statement is making me think to simply start a new game.

MilkBeard

For all this talk about
Ludwig
being hard, I took him down first try. Granted, I had the help of a Cooperator and an NPC...and I'm surprised, this is the first time the NPC didn't die in a boss battle. This would have been a lot harder 1 on 1, but for those having trouble, just summon people and be done with it.

Also, here's a tip. He's easily parryable. I was parrying him with my hunter pistol. Also the charged R2 of the Boom Hammer makes him pause. Experiment with other weapons.

myco666

That's my main concern- 10 new trick weapons and 5 new side weapon is fine and all but if you can't upgrade them to full then it's meaningless sigh...

Well it seems about the same balance as the main game as in you now get around double the amount of materials. You still have to choose what you want to use.

Okay I am seriously missing something here.

Spoilers after first boss
The locked door where the guy bangs his head against the wall. Can you open the door or talk to the guy somehow?

Spoilers after 4th boss
The black thing on the 'squid' can you interact with it? And how the hell do you use Kos Parasite?

Really?!

I was reading EG review earlier and they comment on how little assets were re-used from the original game.

There are a few spots in the first location that are ripped wholesale from the base game, but the areas between them are new. They came off to me more like unsettling callbacks rather than laziness or anything.

Spoilers after 4th boss
The black thing on the 'squid' can you interact with it? And how the hell do you use Kos Parasite?

Slay the nightmare.

Thanks for the answers. My problem:

I have a Level 55 char and a level 138 (NG+) char. Hmmm...should I use the NG+ character?
I don't want to play the main game again to level up my second character.

Mendrox

Well it seems about the same balance as the main game as in you now get around double the amount of materials. You still have to choose what you want to use.

Okay I am seriously missing something here.

Spoilers after first boss
The locked door where the guy bangs his head against the wall. Can you open the door or talk to the guy somehow?

Spoilers after 4th boss

According to the second spoiler you are NOT finished :) You haven't slayed the last boss. How about making a gesture to talk to it? Or hitting it? (These are tipps, I know what happens) To use the item you need a certain rune
Milkweed Rune which is the Kin covenant
After this the item will be usable.

MilkBeard

Thanks for the answers. My problem:

I have a Level 55 char and a level 138 (NG+) char. Hmmm...should I use the NG+ character?
I don't want to play the main game again to level up my second character.

You could level your lower character up 10 levels and be set, or you could pop in NG + as is, I think it should be fine.

Still stuck on the last mandatory boss, but overall I think the DLC is incredible. Level design and complexity is absolutely on point, and the new bosses are tough as nails, but still very fun to fight. All of these baller new strength weapons are leaving me feeling a bit shafted going through with a skill character, though their general absence was a major complaint about the base game and I'm glad to see it addressed.

Minor last area spoilers
The atmosphere in Fishing Hamlet is just unreal. It feels so fucking heavy. I don't know how From does it, but they sure do it.

Just found this on EU PSN - so when did they crank the price up to £16 exactly? Wasn't it advertised around £12 when announced?

How much are our NA cousins paying for it?

Fuck off, Sony.

myco666

According to the second spoiler you are NOT finished :) You haven't slayed the last boss. How about making a gesture to talk to it? Or hitting it? (These are tipps, I know what happens) To use the item you need a certain rune
Milkweed Rune which is the Kin covenant
After this the item will be usable.

Ahh why I didn't think of that. Thanks!

Still stuck on the last mandatory boss, but overall I think the DLC is incredible. Level design and complexity is absolutely on point, and the new bosses are tough as nails, but still very fun to fight. All of these baller new strength weapons are leaving me feeling a bit shafted going through with a skill character, though their general absence was a major complaint about the base game and I'm glad to see it addressed.

Minor last area spoilers
The atmosphere in Fishing Hamlet is just unreal. It feels so fucking heavy. I don't know how From does it, but they sure do it.

Yeah that last area is fantastic.
This DLC as a whole is so Lovecraft but that area is all about that.

Ogawa-san

Man, the new weapons can make the old ones look boring.
Amygdala's arm, wtf

And I'm glad I'm overleveled...
Hunters everywhere.

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
Hi fellow hunters,
I can't seem to access The Old Hunters expansion.

At the weekend I beat the game (very proud :) )
I started a NG+, beat CB, beat FG, Killed Amelia, inspected the altar and turned day to night. Turned off console and left it at that.

Booted in to Bloodborne this morning and there is no Eye of the Blood-Drunk Hunter item available for me at the stairs within the Hunters Dream?

Have I done anything wrong here??

Thanks in advance!

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Need your input GAF:

I have two characters who are more or less at the same spot in the game, which is right before Father G. My 'main' is on NG+ and has all the nice stuff and a build/playstyle I'm comfortable with, she's around lvl 80-100 or so.

My other character however is new, probably only around lvl 10-15, but I'm having fun with his threaded cane 'build'. I would rather do the DLC with this new, low level character, but is that even a feasible thought?

I'm not that good at the game to begin with, so I'm concerned that I might not even be able to give it a fair shot with the latter, newer and weaker character...

Would appreciate any input :)

myco666

BWHAHAHA OH WOW! Just tried the 'optional' boss
Laurence
. Died on the first hit. I guess now is a good time to take a break.

Rozart

Holy shiiiiiit. The A
mygdalan Arm
. I haven't even gotten my hands on the bow or the pizza cutter blade but o my kosm, From really outdid themselves this time with all these insane weapons.

Man, this DLC is really good. Dat
Maria
fight. Maybe my new favorite boss in Soulsborne. Such a cool character... flashy moveset and stylish as fuck fashion. I stopped after discovering the area after said boss... I need sleep.

All the weapons and armor are awesome as well. I wish the rest of the game had the same loot density as the DLC.

Can't wait to pick it back up after getting some sleep.

Top Bottom