• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

Yo, Gaf! Will be jumping in tonight for the first time, so obviously some straightforward, spoiler free answers are all I need.

I'm at level 110 in NG+. 50SKL and ~40-45VIT being the pertinents. What say you guys? Appropriate? Good challenge? I was able to clear all of the CDs at this level, for what that's worth.

Cheers!

TheTurboFD

Did they undo the update where if you dont find a coop match it will give back your insight? I canceled my search and re rang the bell only to find out it took another insight.

Yo, Gaf! Will be jumping in tonight for the first time, so obviously some straightforward, spoiler free answers are all I need.

I'm at level 110 in NG+. 50SKL and ~40-45VIT being the pertinents. What say you guys? Appropriate? Good challenge? I was able to clear all of the CDs at this level, for what that's worth.

Cheers!

God have mercy of your Soul.

Rise up those stats at 50 as fast as possible

Fhtagn

Cheers!

If you cleared the chalices like that, then you're probably good for at least the first area.

Persona7

Banned
I can invade without any problem but nobody will join my game lol

Did they undo the update where if you dont find a coop match it will give back your insight? I canceled my search and re rang the bell only to find out it took another insight.

I've gotten tons of messages about not being able to find a co-op partner so no insight was consumed.

I just want to say that first boss was just fucking amazing.

Are the rest of the bosses that good, or close at least? I honestly don't expect them to be lol, and that's okay.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
First main boss down. That was a pain in the butt! Had to remember how to play pretty damned quickly because some of these guys hit like a bloody truck. Might have been a mistake using my NG++++ character, but I've grown pretty attached to her.

Just beat
Lady Maria
. where is the optional boss?

also how can I open the 1rst floor balcony in the research building?

I was lazy and
killed the woman who wants brain shit

Also thats not the last boss

I just want to say that first boss was just fucking amazing.

Are the rest of the bosses that good, or close at least? I honestly don't expect them to be lol, and that's okay.

1 is utter trash, 1 is mostly a reskin, the other 2 are great though.

Auctopus

I don't know whether it's because I'm playing it for the first time on NG+ after a tiring day at work but the starting area of this is hard as fucking tits.

Spoo

I can't beat the first boss. He has too much hp and kills me in two hits. What the fuck?

Yeah, this. Level 170 on NG++ (edit: Actually NG+3 I think). It's... kinda hard for the wrong reasons imo, which so far has been this entire expansion. The encounters aren't really fun so far -- just kind of annoying.

edit: Yeah... I don't actually think I'm going to finish this. Got him down to 3/4 hp, and he 1 shot me with a dash.

myco666

People who play at NG++ what are your levels are you playing this at?
Ludwig
is basically killing me in one hit or two. Kinda rough jump from NG.

Anyone wanna coop/help me out with
Living Failures
? (Boss #2/3? spoilers)? Lv. 120!

On what NG?

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I can't beat the first boss. He has too much hp and kills me in two hits. What the fuck?

Sounds like you're somewhat underleveled for the content.
You have 3 options:
* Go and level up some more
* Go get some of the NPC's in the area and don't get hit
* Do it yourself, but also don't get hit

Ferr986

People who play at NG++ what are your levels are you playing this at?
Ludwig
is basically killing me in one hit or two. Kinda rough jump from NG.
?

Lvl 130, 50 VIT with runes (so around 1890ish HP). I can survive even 3 hits, no more than that (charge and jumps are almost a 1hitKO but I can survive them if Im near full HP).
50 SKILL, using Burial Blade+10 with Chalice Gems, I do +600 DMG per hit but sthil shit goes down slooooooooowly. Still stuck on him, was gonna give up but I can't yet lol.

Donos

ohhhh, the boomhammer moveset seems nice... and dat sound. Oh shit, these Cainhurst yard ticks ...

That
beast hunter with the claws
was nice. Quick little asshole. Time for a lamp *looking nervously at the 300k souls*.

I am lvl 117 in NG+ and it seems just the right difficulty. Taking it real slow everywhere.

Really love the dlc so far and i have only seen a tiny fraction of it.

convo

People playing at NG+ and above were basically asking for it. Especially hunters are gonna be grueling with their hp unless you are good at visceral attacks. Completely upgraded weapons with good gems help out a lot.

Having a hard time with the first boss on my BT build. Finding it tough to get enough hits in with the chikage's transformed mode before he dodges away, and with the health drain I have to constantly transform it back and forth. Lvl 71 on NG (~vit 30/skl 17/BT 35) and I can't summon anyone with my beckoning bell surprisingly (I can join others pretty easily though). What's the recommended level for NG?

Yeah being on NG++ was a mistake. The first Hunter that appeared knocked out 65%~ of my HP in one hit and I've got 50 VIT. YIKES. No interest in starting a newer character to have an easier time though since the game isn't really engaging enough and lacks the customization for me to start fresh on another character.

RampantCereal

Neo Member
Is anyone disappointed by the design of last boss? I loved the first and the third one, but i don't think it's final boss material, I don't know, maybe it gets cooler in later stages of the fight?.

EDIT: Is there any thread to discuss the new lore?

Spoo

People playing at NG+ and above were basically asking for it. Especially hunters are gonna be grueling with their hp unless you are good at visceral attacks. Completely upgraded weapons with good gems help out a lot.

I can deal with the hunters fine. They're annoying because you basically *have* to visceral, but the platinum didn't earn itself.

Sadly, on NG+3, the first boss is basically 1 shotting me at level 170. Only character I have, and I don't have time to play through the base game again from level 1 just so I can play DLC. Really disappointing that the difficulty couldn't be balanced in some way for people who want to have a "normal" experience.

Ferr986

Hunters are easy IMO. Hell I didnt die once on my way to the first boss, but I just cant get past him. I really think he has too much HP.

But yeah I could do a run with an NG character, Its just that I really wanted to finish this with my first one (and the one I put more work to it).

EDIT: Mind you, Im not saying "OMG TOO HARD NERF!!" just weird how big of a difficulty gap between the area and the boss itself (I still think depth 5 Chalices can be harder, minus the boss of course). If I can't beat it I'll suck it up and use another char.

myco666

Sweet, thanks. Password is: mtndew. I'm at the boss door!

Haha will ring the bell soon. Set network to worldwide.

edit.

Lvl 130, 50 VIT with runes (so around 1890ish HP). I can survive even 3 hits, no more than that (charge and jumps are almost a 1hitKO but I can survive them if Im near full HP).
50 SKILL, using Burial Blade+10 with Chalice Gems, I do +600 DMG per hit but sthil shit goes down slooooooooowly. Still stuck on him, was gonna give up but I can't yet lol.

I have basically same stats. This feels pretty hard.

Is anyone disappointed by the design of last boss? I loved the first and the third one, but i don't think it's final boss material, I don't know, maybe it gets cooler in later stages of the fight?.

yeah thats my biggest disappointment after, it doesnt end on a big known lore build up

Whats the level range for password co-op right now, i might run through it on ng+(x) if anyone wants some help

Yup, just more fuel for more mindless speculation since the Cosmic stuff goes to other direction as the one established from the main game.

watdaeff4

So I have a NG++ character at only level 140.

and a NG character at 23 in Old Yharnam.

What I'm gathering from this page, I should just bite the bullet and play with my NG character and level up and get to the DLC?

Sounds like the scaling for NG+ and beyond is crazy hard.

Feeling way better about my level now that I got (1st Boss) L halfway down. Could obviously be doing better but (at least for the first part) once you have the dodge down it's fairly straightforward

(NG+ Level 82 btw)

Are you talking about
Ludwig
?

Yes, he does tons of damage. This is one of those fights where making use of regain can be really helpful. While he might take out a third or half of your health, you can often get close enough to hit him repeatedly and reclaim most of the damage you were just dealt.

It can feel really risky, and it kind of is, because you are constantly trading damage with him. But it's enough to keep you alive if your weapon has strong rally potential.

Other than that, unlocking and just running away as fast as you can is a very effective strategy. Once you are at a big distance, you have time to heal, and regain your footing. He can actually be really easy to "approach" because it is easy to react to his attacks when you have lots of room between you two.

I also usually hate this advice, but "getting under him" can also be really helpful. He can't reach you under there, and with a big weapon you have lots of room to connect. If you can get him against a wall, he won't have anywhere to go, and you can just run out your stamina meter. Usually he will start trashing and stomping, which will do lots of damage, but it also has a long animation.

So you can let him stomp you, but then run away and heal up. Then reapproach.

I used LHB buffed with a Phantasm Shell for this fight. Fire Paper did more damage, but I was failing too often to keep using it on every retry.

This will get you through the first half of the fight.

The second half is obviously way different. His attacks are even more powerful and can be even harder to dodge, but they're also much slower and much more plainly telegraphed. Once again, putting tons of distance between you and the boss will give you lots or room to approach. You can dodge his attacks more easily this way and damage him during his recovery animation.

Sometimes he will lunge forward, which leaves him open for a comparatively long time and enables you to approach from behind. Just wail on him here. This is usually your "big opening."

I didn't finish the fight gracefully by any means. I was consuming Blood Vials ravenously and burned through hundreds of them in my constant reattempts. I also never figured out how to predictably evade him when he jumps up and drops down from the ceiling. But I did get better every time, and eventually it worked.

Moonlight Blade at +10 now, got the blood rock.

680 damage and since my strength and arcane are pretty low and I don't have top tier gems it's gonna go way up. Absolutely ridiculous.

Also tried the last two bosses. Whew christ, those guys are gonna have to wait until the weekend sadly.

Top Bottom