• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

Finalow

this DLC is GREAT.

too bad it's ruined by the FRAME PACING issue FromSoft didn't bother to fix, which horribly destroys gameplay, atmosphere and level design

amirite

For those concerned about the difficulty, I fought the first boss in NG at level 55(40 vit, 13/12 STR/Skill). I got him to about 30% in my second fight and then summoned Valtr for the third. With a summon is was laughably easy and I beat him without ever feeling threatened. I'm probably slightly above average in terms of skill. So at least in NG, it is very doable. Get to level 80+ and it should be a cakewalk even without help.

NG+ is a whole different ballgame, it seems.

Ugh can't beat the hunter with
beast claws
fairly early on in the first area. He has so much health and his hits are sooo powerul, if he combo locks you you're done for.

Fisty

Anyone want to give me a hand with that son of a bitch
Laurence
? SL120 on NG, right outside the fight. Cant seal the deal during the final phase

Currently hit a wall on
Ludwig
, though I only fought once and decided to go bgrind for levels.

Gotta say, regular enemies in the new area are quite a challenge, and the fact that they respawn
instead of permanently dying like "normal" hunters
is bananas. Seeing them use several of the new weapons was a brilliant game design choice, since it gets the player excited to find them and try them out.

What's everyone's favorite new weapon so far? I have
Beast Cutter, Saif, and Boom Hammer
and my favorite is definitely the
Saif
. I feel like I do less damage against Beasts than I would with the Saw weapons, but dat range, dat lunge, dat back-and-forth L1 combo...

beast claws
fairly early on in the first area. He has so much health and his hits are sooo powerul, if he combo locks you you're done for.
Dancing around him with the Blades of Mercy in 2h mode worked well. R2 and L2 attacks to chip at him while keeping your distance against his AoE roar. Made for a pretty epic fight. Heavy weapons would probably fare just fine, too, though he had a tendency to roll/dash through some of my attacks and combo-kill me.

beast claws

Use a heavy weapon, like the Hunter's Axe or Ludwig's Holy Blade. You can super easily bait him into a charged R2 because of his jump attack.

But other than that, as human sized enemy, you can just stunlock him to bits.

beast claws
You can try parrying when he does his sparks on the ground move but if you mess up he'll punish hard

Otherwise just try to keep him running, there's no one else in that area

Spoo

Don't think irrationally; you're berating the expansion because you've hit a wall. Let's get away from that. What gems are you using?

Cursed tampering blood gem (4), (5) and tempering damp blood gem (5). Weapon is +10. Level 172 with: 60 vit, 61 end, 35 str, 50 skill. Skill-based weapon.

Donos

beast claws

dodge sideway and back. the attack with a heavy attack. Don't get into a corner, otherwise he can be doged fairly good. If you fight him in the bigger square.

Hale_C

Phew... Finally beat
ludwig
, NG+ SL 110. Took a lot of tries, in part because I stubbornly refused to use the
nearby summon. I've done everything in the Souls series and Bloodborne solo, and wasn't about to stop now.

Still, that was as hard and as satisfying as any Souls/BB fight. Bravo From, I tip my bloodstained bowler hat to you...

Sorry if it's been asked, but what's the general consensus on the appropriate level for those in NG++? I'm level 143, can deal with most of the hunters fine, but the first boss is merciless. I can barely make a dent.

Thanks for the advice guys! I'll switch from the saw blade to my Ludwig's and see if I can take him with that.

Edit: did it! It was a lot easier fighting him the bigger square where I couldn't get backed in a corner. Awesome fight.

Does anybody have any advice for the hunter with the
gattling gun
?

Because he is immensely powerful and obviously has tons of range AND will heal himself. Plus it's dark in there!

myco666

For those concerned about the difficulty, I fought the first boss in NG at level 55(40 vit, 13/12 STR/Skill). I got him to about 30% in my second fight and then summoned Valtr for the third. With a summon is was laughably easy and I beat him without ever feeling threatened. I'm probably slightly above average in terms of skill. So at least in NG, it is very doable. Get to level 80+ and it should be a cakewalk even without help.

NG+ is a whole different ballgame, it seems.

Having 40 Vit sure makes it really manageable and I think it is little bit overkill for NG. I had 30 Vit when I did it and it was more than enough health for it.

Alucrid

Banned
so i found two summons in the first area
Henrietta and Veltr. But I heard there was another one but I can't seem to find them anywhere.

squidyj

I think I might just start an entirely new character to run this, all the characters with builds i like are in NG+ already and after trying it with my BoM char..... it can be slower than I want

Ferr986

HOLY SHIT MOTHERFUCKING GOD I ALMOST GOT HIM! And Then
he did some weird ass fuck shit and half the room was green and then I was dead and wtf happened lol!
. He was near dead man....

Ludwig blade with fire paper is helpign thanks to him stunning a lot more.

RampantCereal

Neo Member
Okay, I've tried again and gotten the last boss to less than 50% and things got pretty crazy, but I still feel underwhelmed at the last boss maybe it's beacuse I was expecting to fight
Kos instead of it's child

Also, getting the rakuyo is a pain in the ass

myco666

HOLY SHIT MOTHERFUCKING GOD I ALMOST GOT HIM! And Then
he did some weird ass fuck shit and half the room was green and then I was dead and wtf happened lol!
. He was near dead man....

Ludwig blade with fire paper is helpign thanks to him stunning a lot more.

Is Fire Paper better than using Empty Phantasm Shell?

I've been helping people for xp because I can't beat him on my own and the last two fights have been abysmal in terms of performance. Might be network issues I suppose.

I bet it's because of the co-op, regardless of the connection. That makes more sense, and sucks.

Is Fire Paper better than using Empty Phantasm Shell?

Yes.

But the Phantasm Shell is obviously much cheaper and better for your early trial and error rounds. You might try getting through the first half with the Phantasm Shell and then doing the second half with Fire Paper, just so you're not wasting it on busted attempts.

Akara

Banned
Fking sharrk alien wielding anchor jerk rekt me 30 times, my arc build 99 with threaded cane aint doing diddly, lol, 25 vitality dont help either.

Metaledgeking

Neo Member
Anyone free to co-op Ludwig? I have been at the fight for about an hour now and get get him to the point where he has about 15% left of his health and then it always falls apart from there. lvl 160

myco666

Nope but thanks for informing me
you can go down it. It's the one a bit later with the magic bullshit machine that you can't kill without triggering anchor bastard.

That well is optional though and bullshit. For the point you are at just run past them. There is a new lamp immediately after them.

finalflame

Anyone free to co-op Ludwig? I have been at the fight for about an hour now and get get him to the point where he has about 15% left of his health and then it always falls apart from there. lvl 160

Sure, I'll help. What level/password? Have you
found the lamp really close to him yet?

Top Bottom