• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

Sounds like you're somewhat underleveled for the content.
You have 3 options:
* Go and level up some more
* Go get some of the NPC's in the area and don't get hit
* Do it yourself, but also don't get hit

I'm level 139 on NG+
Strength 50
Endurance 34
Vitality 42
Skill 50

Ludwig's Blade +10

It's impossible. I'm not doing any damage at all and the NPC died after 50 seconds. This is not a good difficulty setting at all. It seems From just wants to troll us.

convo

Getting into NG+ without leveling up should basically mean that you think you are skilled enough to dance around with the enemies regardless of their damage output.
Also i find the new weapons really appealing so i would need to put more resources into upgrading them to make them work on the NG+ enemies.

Also specific lore spoilers for the first boss:
Do you think the light spectres Ludwig saw were the same thing as the vermin the League hunts? The same creatures could just look different to some people.And maybe vermin aren't that bad to begin with.

Mandelbo

I'm level 139 on NG+
Strength 50
Endurance 34
Vitality 42
Skill 50

Ludwig's Blade +10

It's impossible. I'm not doing any damage at all and the NPC died after 50 seconds. This is not a good difficulty setting at all. It seems From just wants to troll us.

What about your blood gems? Just having a +10 weapon isn't enough - good blood gems can make a real difference.

Are you talking about
Ludwig
?

Yes, he does tons of damage. This is one of those fights where making use of regain can be really helpful. While he might take out a third or half of your health, you can often get close enough to hit him repeatedly and reclaim most of the damage you were just dealt.

It can feel really risky, and it kind of is, because you are constantly trading damage with him. But it's enough to keep you alive if your weapon has strong rally potential.

Other than that, unlocking and just running away as fast as you can is a very effective strategy. Once you are at a big distance, you have time to heal, and regain your footing. He can actually be really easy to "approach" because it is easy to react to his attacks when you have lots of room between you two.

I also usually hate this advice, but "getting under him" can also be really helpful. He can't reach you under there, and with a big weapon you have lots of room to connect. If you can get him against a wall, he won't have anywhere to go, and you can just run out your stamina meter. Usually he will start trashing and stomping, which will do lots of damage, but it also has a long animation.

So you can let him stomp you, but then run away and heal up. Then reapproach.

I used LHB buffed with a Phantasm Shell for this fight. Fire Paper did more damage, but I was failing too often to keep using it on every retry.

This will get you through the first half of the fight.

The second half is obviously way different. His attacks are even more powerful and can be even harder to dodge, but they're also much slower and much more plainly telegraphed. Once again, putting tons of distance between you and the boss will give you lots or room to approach. You can dodge his attacks more easily this way and damage him during his recovery animation.

Sometimes he will lunge forward, which leaves him open for a comparatively long time and enables you to approach from behind. Just wail on him here. This is usually your "big opening."

I didn't finish the fight gracefully by any means. I was consuming Blood Vials ravenously and burned through hundreds of them in my constant reattempts. I also never figured out how to predictably evade him when he jumps up and drops down from the ceiling. But I did get better every time, and eventually it worked.
Funnily enough, he actually drops a rune that increases rally potential. For me, I just fought him fair and square without cheese and it felt good. I got him the second time when I learned most of his move.

I'm level 139 on NG+
Strength 50
Endurance 34
Vitality 42
Skill 50

Ludwig's Blade +10

Damn, this boss sounds insane. I know this is a From game, but it sounds really punishing. Usually they're really great at throwing down the perfect amount of difficulty toward the player. Then again, I haven't played the DLC yet so I'll see for myself.

I'm level 139 on NG+
Strength 50
Endurance 34
Vitality 42
Skill 50

Ludwig's Blade +10

You're really well leveled. You're almost at the soft caps for Vitality and Endurance and have obviously reached it for Strength and Skill. You also have a +10 Ludwig's, so you should he doing really well. Do you not have any gems or something?

How much are you doing per hit? I was averaging around 700 with the same weapons and the same stats. I'm on NG+++.

Do you have the +10 and +15 Stamina runes on? Because LHB really, really benefits from that extra 25% stamina. Especially when it comes to being able to retreat.

Getting into NG+ without leveling up should basically mean that you think you are skilled enough to dance around with the enemies regardless of their damage output.
Also i find the new weapons really appealing so i would need to put more resources into upgrading them to make them work on the NG+ enemies.

Also specific lore spoilers for the first boss:
Do you think the light spectres Ludwig saw were the same thing as the vermin the League hunts? The same creatures could just look different to some people.And maybe vermin aren't that bad to begin with.

Looking at the rune form he probably saw the moon presence squids form, those little shiny things as he described, while the vermin are actually the centipetes you saw on Bryenwert corrupting the hunters and probably the origin of the Bloodlust that destroyed the hunters.

Interesting is he found comfort on those creatures and retained his pshyque even when he fell into the bloodlust

W Hudson

Haven't picked this up yet but was wondering what is everyone's favorite new weapon? My NG+ character is a strength/skill build but am considering starting a new arcane and/or bloodtinge centered character to utilize one of the new weapons.

I'm level 139 on NG+
Strength 50
Endurance 34
Vitality 42
Skill 50

Ludwig's Blade +10

"not doing any damage" - 50 skill 50 strength on a ludwigs blade, lol

Donos

quick question: i'm in the first area, did i miss the second lamp (first lamp is starting point of dlc) or do i need to get past
the blood pool with the spider ticks? Although they don't seem to be as aggresive as the Cainhurst ones.

convo

Damn, this boss sounds insane. I know this is a From game, but it sounds really punishing. Usually they're really great at throwing down the perfect amount of difficulty toward the player. Then again, I haven't played the DLC yet so I'll see for myself.

Well he is on NG+ and good blood gems can add a shit ton of damage. There is also the option to summon old hunters that help distract the boss.
But really you will still find people who think the bosses will be piss easy regardless.
People will surely find a way to R1 spam and visceral attack their way to victory, and then be disappointed with the games difficulty.

myco666

Haven't picked this up yet but was wondering what is everyone's favorite new weapon? My NG+ character is a strength/skill build but am considering starting a new arcane and/or bloodtinge centered character to utilize one of the new weapons.

I actually really liked every single weapon I managed to try out and really want to get some builds around those. Still need to try Skill and BT weapons on other character.

convo

Looking at the rune form he probably saw the moon presence squids form, those little shiny things as he described, while the vermin are actually the centipetes you saw on Bryenwert corrupting the hunters and probably the origin of the Bloodlust that destroyed the hunters.

Interesting is he found comfort on those creatures and retained his pshyque even when he fell into the bloodlust

So how do you trigger
Ludwig asking you about the Church Hunters he founded and if they became noble or the same monsters he has become
?

Nazo

The optional boss,
Laurance
, is a load of bullshit. He legit does 80% of my health with some of his attacks.

Fire paper was amazing when I fought him. Although I'll happily throw my name in the hat to Co-Op if you'd like?

Fire paper? interesting, I'll try it. Thanks, but co-op doesn't work for me in Bloodborne games. I don't know why. I hear the bell and the sound of the other player (connecting sound) ....but he never appears.

deoee

Any tips on
Ludwig
(First Boss)?

The pattern is not THAT bad but I deal NO damage at all.

I'm lvl 100, NG+ and using the Holy Blade +10, would love to use some of the new weapons but I'm missing upgrade shit
LLShC.gif

Ok I'm not the only one having problems...
It's impossible at this point and when I read that it's not much better for people at lvl 140 then grinding will do no good...

Already tried with the NPC in the area but did not help :<
Don't want to start a new char :-/

Any other way I can advance?

Spoo

Well, this sucks. Done trying :\ Would have liked to play this expansion, but I guess From decided to cater to bullshit boss bullet sponge rather than requiring skill.

myco666

The optional boss,
Laurance
, is a load of bullshit. He legit does 80% of my health with some of his attacks.

Yeah but luckily he is slow and telegraphs moves miles away. What helped me to not get killed with every touch was to equip
high fire resist set (used the old hunter set found from DLC) and fire resist rune.

Persona7

Banned
Fire paper? interesting, I'll try it. Thanks, but co-op doesn't work for me in Bloodborne games. I don't know why. I hear the bell and the sound of the other player (connecting sound) ....but he never appears.

Last night I was able to summon and join other peoples games without any issues but today I am getting absolutely nothing. Invading works fine though and I don't have to wait more than a minute at most.

So how do you trigger
Ludwig asking you about the Church Hunters he founded and if they became noble or the same monsters he has become
?

Dress like one.

quick question: i'm in the first area, did i miss the second lamp (first lamp is starting point of dlc) or do i need to get past
the blood pool with the spider ticks? Although they don't seem to be as aggresive as the Cainhurst ones.

There's a 2nd lamp
past the 2nd blood river section. It's on the right side of the swamp with two large Cthulu enemies.

Ludwig, as a beast, is weak to fire. Fire Paper will supplement your damage noticeably.

But Fire Paper is very expensive, and even if you have a reserve, you might find yourself wasting a lot of it.

I highly recommend being able to predictably reach the second half of the fight before you try leaning on Fire Paper. Because there is nothing more frustrating than buffing your weapon with paper and getting crushed before you can even make use of it.

I have a huge reserve of Fire Paper and am still conservative with it. Because if you spend it all during your trial and error phase, you won't have it when you can actually use it best.

Curufinwe

I'm level 139 on NG+
Strength 50
Endurance 34
Vitality 42
Skill 50

Ludwig's Blade +10

No I'm worried. Maybe I will have to start a new character.

Is there anything left in the DLC after the
Orphan of Kos
?

I've already
fought the optional boss.

Just want to make sure I haven't missed anything.

Nazo

Yeah but luckily he is slow and telegraphs moves miles away. What helped me to not get killed with every touch was to equip
high fire resist set (used the old hunter set found from DLC) and fire resist rune.

Thanks for the tip. I almost just killed it a moment ago, I got it into its second phase (witch was much easier) but I used up like all my vials in the first phase and died.

Is there anything left in the DLC after the
Orphan of Kos
?

I've already
fought the optional boss.

Just want to make sure I haven't missed anything.

So far, nothing, I thought the DLC would contain two DLCs. I guess the
Fishmen
area is another DLC or something

Spoo

Git gudddd.

I wasted all my gitting gud power when I platinum'd the original game, which is an expertly designed videogame.

This expansion, so far, has been a disappointment. I mean, I think I hit the first boss like 45 times, and it resulted in 1/4 of his health going down. That's not fun :\ Is it my fault for only having a NG+3 character? Yeah. I guess. But it still leaves me in the same spot, which is not actually feeling like I'm having a good, challenging-but-fair experience with the game.

Had a weird bug when fighting the first boss.

once you take down half his health or whatever it it, the cutscene plays. I skipped the cutscene and he was dead instead of still fighting him. I talked to his head afterwards and he quit talking and was making crazy screaming noises lol. Not sure if that's what he's supposed to do but it didn't seem like it. I hit him with my weapon and got the moonlight sword.

Don't know if it's been mentioned (I'm sure it has) but the free blood vials right outside the first boss room are very kind (and also hilarious)

Bloody corpse banging on fence, seems to drop 5 every time you kill him

I wasted all my gitting gud power when I platinum'd the original game, which is an expertly designed videogame.

This expansion, so far, has been a disappointment. I mean, I think I hit the first boss like 45 times, and it resulted in 1/4 of his health going down. That's not fun : Is it my fault for only having a NG+3 character? Yeah. I guess. But it still leaves me in the same spot, which is not actually feeling like I'm having a good, challenging-but-fair experience with the game.
Don't think irrationally; you're berating the expansion because you've hit a wall. Let's get away from that. What gems are you using?

Kaiken

Banned
I'm level 139 on NG+
Strength 50
Endurance 34
Vitality 42
Skill 50

Ludwig's Blade +10

I'm the same build but lower level (around 107-110) NG+ and I'm clearing out people with no problem in the very first area. I haven't gone too far yet but it looks completely doable. Make sure to repair your weapon and equip some good blood gems.

Persona7

Banned
Don't know if it's been mentioned (I'm sure it has) but the free blood vials right outside the first boss room are very kind (and also hilarious)

Bloody corpse banging on fence, seems to drop 5 every time you kill him

when I was helping people beat the first boss last night I grabbed five every time the game re-loaded lol

Top Bottom