• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

I literally can't beat the first boss. I'm on NG+3, level 170ish, I literally can't beat him. I've never, ever felt so defeated in a Souls game before, and I've played all of them somewhat extensively. The thing is, I don't feel like I'm getting better at the fight. He just does impossible shit that kills me if I get an unlucky combo from the boss. Some of his attacks are illegible. I don't think it's a good boss fight =\ It feels like a mashup of other BB bosses. He's got the lunge from BSB, the charge from the Watchdog, the (totally bullshit) jump from Amygdala. AND THEN PHASE 2. Fuck, man. I'm so dejected. I legit don't think I can beat him and I've never felt that way in a Souls game before. May have to play on NG just to see all this DLC.

You will absolutely hate bossname
Lawrence
I;m on ng+3 aswell and that fight was horrible.

Speak to him before you fight Maria and at the cathedral with cathedral being the first step, after beating Maria at the second bonfire in fishing hamlet you'll see him again.and he'll give you le key.

Any idea where? I definitely spoke to him both times to exhaustion.

Vire

Why is this shit so buried on the PSN store? I had to go through like twenty pages to find it.

Didn't Bloodborne sell like 2 million copies? Da fuq Sony?

Shin-chan

Can someone tell me the skill weapons available before the first boss? I found one but I'd like to play through the main game with a new weapon for a bit before returning to the DLC as I'm under levelled. I don't want to throw all my upgrade materials into a weapon I don't really want to use.

Finished for tonight, did
Ludwig
Living Failure's
and
Maria

Ludwig=Maria >>>> LF

I really dislike
mob bosses
but I guess they add some variety.

Maria
was amazing, especially
her 2nd and 3rd form
, it was super stylish and cool. Can wait to find that sword.
She
wasn't particularly hard beat
her
on my 3rd attempt but it was a close one.

Fisty

Holy shit the optional boss
Dickface Laurence
is an asshole. Tried probably a dozen times, tried a few times with a co-op guy, then i got lucky with 2 co-op bros and we took that MF'er to Pain Town

JimPanzer

getting absolutely destroyed by everything at lvl 50. haven't even seen the first boss. might spend some more time in the main game and level up.

Is there any reason not to/penalty for summoning NPCs to help you with bosses? I never did it the first time around in the game and I just noticed I can summon
Alfred
for the Blood Starved Beast.

Does the NPC die for good if they die in the boss battle or something?

Fisty

Why is this shit so buried on the PSN store? I had to go through like twenty pages to find it.

Didn't Bloodborne sell like 2 million copies? Da fuq Sony?

You can scroll down on the BB icon on your dash to find Related Items and grab it that way. It was tough to find it a few weeks ago, its Featured now

This damn boss...
Orphan of Kos
is handing me my own ass on a plate. Lowest ive gotten him is to 1/3 health left

I think From went a bit overboard with boss HP for this DLC. I"m level 81 in NG and it's taking forever to kill all of these bosses except
Maria
who is the only one so far to have a fair amount of HP IMO.

I literally can't beat the first boss. I'm on NG+3, level 170ish, I literally can't beat him. I've never, ever felt so defeated in a Souls game before, and I've played all of them somewhat extensively. The thing is, I don't feel like I'm getting better at the fight. He just does impossible shit that kills me if I get an unlucky combo from the boss. Some of his attacks are illegible. I don't think it's a good boss fight = It feels like a mashup of other BB bosses. He's got the lunge from BSB, the charge from the Watchdog, the (totally bullshit) jump from Amygdala. AND THEN PHASE 2. Fuck, man. I'm so dejected. I legit don't think I can beat him and I've never felt that way in a Souls game before. May have to play on NG just to see all this DLC.

I tried the first boss again about another 30 times. Got him down to about 1/5th health, but I have to say, he's a complete chore to fight. Pretty much all the bosses in the main game always felt like they were really well designed to be challenging, but fair -- this one is heavy as hell on stunlocks, has moves which kill in one hit, and hit boxes that seem arbitrary at best. Visually, it's a cool fight, but mechanically it just isn't fun to do -- and I say this as someone who had to do many, many attempts on a bunch of different bosses in the main game. I was always excited to go back in and try again on them. Not so much with this one. It just isn't a fun fight, not when compared to the bosses of the main game.

edit: of course, this all stems from the fact that this character is NG+3. I imagine the difficulty is a lot better on NG, or NG+ like most of you are playing. I really, really wish they would have added in some kind of "mode" option, where you could select to play the expansion at the values set by NG, NG+, etc. I'd drop it down by 1 since this character just recently turned over to NG+3.
In the same boat. The Boss an amalgamation of other bosses but doesn't have their weaknesses.

3DShovel

And in a narrow hallway!

Not to mention, when he feels like it -- "hey, we were fighting normally, now let me whip out my infinite ammo cheat and spam you up-close with the mini-gun so you actually literally cannot move"

Whatever the fuck is at the end of this cave BETTER BE WORTH IT.

Bebpo

Banned
What's the best place (in the DLC area 1 or main game) to sit and grind for 5-10 hours in NG+ to get the levels needed for
Ludwig?

Spoo

In the same boat. The Boss an amalgamation of other bosses but doesn't have their weaknesses.

For what it's worth, I've had the most luck running in and hitting his side like twice, then running away *fast* to spam a heal or two. When you go in, sometimes, he'll have his side to you, which is basically the *only* opportunity you have to get in like 3 or 4 hits depending on the weapon. You will get hit. Run away, spam more heals. The running away part is *intensely* hard to do correctly, since the boss likes to just jump/claw at you at super speeds. You may find you get hit just trying to run away to heal, even if it appears you're a good distance from the boss. I usually have 5 health potions left or so by the time I get to the second form.

His second form seems easier, actually, but because the first one recks me 29/30 times, I have only gotten to attempt it twice.

I literally can't beat the first boss. I'm on NG+3, level 170ish, I literally can't beat him. I've never, ever felt so defeated in a Souls game before, and I've played all of them somewhat extensively. The thing is, I don't feel like I'm getting better at the fight. He just does impossible shit that kills me if I get an unlucky combo from the boss. Some of his attacks are illegible. I don't think it's a good boss fight = It feels like a mashup of other BB bosses. He's got the lunge from BSB, the charge from the Watchdog, the (totally bullshit) jump from Amygdala. AND THEN PHASE 2. Fuck, man. I'm so dejected. I legit don't think I can beat him and I've never felt that way in a Souls game before. May have to play on NG just to see all this DLC.

He is just as much of a dick in NG lol.

The patterns I worked out in my 4 goes before co-oping were

First phase

Spin attack > follow up with a leap attack too his head

Combo = does two slashes thgen a flurry. As the finishes flurry > leap attack

Single slower attack > leap attack

He jumps in air > run at where the was and keep running.. Often doesn't hit you.

White breath thing > dodge right and towards him, hit in head.

Charges at you > ????????

Biting towards combo > ????????

Hit him in head can stun allowing a visceral

Second phase

Stay close, dodge behind and hit when you can. He charges up, Get back and behind,then attack.

His first phase is annoying as fuck though. He has as huge variety of attacks and short openings between some of them leeding to combos that wreck you. I don't think phase one is very fun. Phase two is pretty cool though. Shame he has a ridiculous amount of health.

How many of the bosses are optional by the way?

Grexeno

To ask again, where is the second lamp in Hunter's Nightmare? I got up to
the river of blood with the flea monsters.

Positively do not give up. I'm on NG+++ as well. But you can absolutely do this.

1. What is your Arcane? Is the Phantasm Shell viable for you at all? You can definitely use the Phantasm Shell to add some damage to your attacks, which is really great for practicing, because it only costs three bullets. Once you can predictably get to the second phase, you can start using Fire Paper for an even bigger benefit. But it's good to be good enough to get to that second phase so you don't just waste all your precious paper.

2. Make use of regain. He usually has a considerable cool down between all of his attacks, so even if he takes away half of your health, you can recover a lot of it by just charging and wailing on him. This may even be an intended strategy, because the rune he drops boosts regain.

3. Don't be afraid to unlock and run away as fast as you can when you have to heal. You may have noticed you sometimes heal just to have him immediately slash away everything you just recovered. It is very hard to heal up close.

4. You should definitely be using a heavy weapon like the Hunter's Axe or Ludwig's to take advantage of stun.

5. In the second phase, it can be relatively safe to be RIGHT UP on him, because his swings will often miss. You can sort of camp there until he starts charging an area of effect attack, which is your cue to flee and heal.

6. You can do this.

I'm glad to see others enjoying this but the huge difficulty, the reused assets at the start, and the convoluted way the dlc is accessed really rubbed me the wrong way in review. I loved the core game, this... I could do without. Seeing as the game only has one save and I barely touched new game +. It sorta punishes those players that put it down shortly after beating it once. Maybe down the road I'll try again.

I'm glad to see others enjoying this but the huge difficulty, the reused assets at the start, and the convoluted way the dlc is accessed really rubbed me the wrong way in review. I loved the core game, this... I could do without. Seeing as the game only has one save and I barely touched new game +. It sorta punishes those players that put it down shortly after beating it once. Maybe down the road I'll try again.
Wat

Vire

What level are you? Im scurred now since I got to Amelia on New Game+ and then stopped a while back.

For what it's worth, I've had the most luck running in and hitting his side like twice, then running away *fast* to spam a heal or two. When you go in, sometimes, he'll have his side to you, which is basically the *only* opportunity you have to get in like 3 or 4 hits depending on the weapon. You will get hit. Run away, spam more heals. The running away part is *intensely* hard to do correctly, since the boss likes to just jump/claw at you at super speeds. You may find you get hit just trying to run away to heal, even if it appears you're a good distance from the boss. I usually have 5 health potions left or so by the time I get to the second form.

His second form seems easier, actually, but because the first one recks me 29/30 times, I have only gotten to attempt it twice.
Right. That's the problem with his second form though. I've gotten there but since it's only once in many attempts I can't get used to the attacks.

What level are you? Im scurred now since I got to Amelia on New Game+ and then stopped a while back.

70 + and you get just destroyed. Lol I hope you enjoy it but I was bickering, fighting, and annoyed with it more in a few hours then I think all of my time with the core game. Most seem to love it so I'm sure your fine.

What are people's impressions of the DLC weapons? Just about to start a fresh character.

They are pretty cool. I have a strength build and went for the whirlygig saw. It really packs a punch as has fucking "S" strength scaling. If you go strength build, the pizza cutter is where its at. Also... im not spoiler tagging cuz the weapon is directly in OP

Top Bottom