• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

I'm glad to see others enjoying this but the huge difficulty, the reused assets at the start, and the convoluted way the dlc is accessed really rubbed me the wrong way in review. I loved the core game, this... I could do without. Seeing as the game only has one save and I barely touched new game +. It sorta punishes those players that put it down shortly after beating it once. Maybe down the road I'll try again.

In NG the bosses have way more hp and do way more damage than anything else I the game.

So far I'm loving the levels up to the bosses. The bosses themselves seem tanky for the sake of difficulty, which I have never felt about a boss in DS or BB before.

But what ever. Co-op is there for people like me.

Spoo

Right. That's the problem with his second form though. I've gotten there but since it's only once in many attempts I can't get used to the attacks.

Next time you get there, yolo it with fire paper, run right up to him (just slightly off-center, to his left or right side) and go fucking ham on him. At some point he'll start to glow or something, at which point he performs an AOE. It worked pretty well for me.

At least, up until I got greedy and didn't run away from that AOE the second time.

myco666

I'm glad to see others enjoying this but the huge difficulty, the reused assets at the start, and the convoluted way the dlc is accessed really rubbed me the wrong way in review. I loved the core game, this... I could do without. Seeing as the game only has one save and I barely touched new game +. It sorta punishes those players that put it down shortly after beating it once. Maybe down the road I'll try again.

I though accessing the DLC was pretty straight fowarded. Game even straight up tells you how to access it.

What are people's impressions of the DLC weapons? Just about to start a fresh character.

Amygdalan arm seems really good, Whirligig Saw also seems like a nice weapon, Holy Moonlight Sword seems decent and Simon's Bowblade which I maxed to +10 seems decent also (went for it cus it complimented my Chikage build well). The rest I am not that convinced by yet. Bloodletter seems to have a good moveset, but I'm unsure the trade offs for some of those self damaging moves are really worth it. Church pick seems okay but kind of boring and the rest is either too slow and clunky or lacks reach from what I tested so far.

Of the sidearms, I'm not blown away by anything. Fist of Gratia might have its uses, especially for PVP, the Gattling gun has good range and okay power and can lead to parry opportunities, so with the extended firing that can be pretty good with certain bosses that have very small windows. The church canon seems just like a lesser regular Canon, less bullet use is nice but you trade off in power for that of course, so...might work for some. The loch shield has situational good uses I think. I believe the only one left there is the piercing rifle which seems pretty basic and straightforward, does seem to pack a punch at least though.

What level are you? Im scurred now since I got to Amelia on New Game+ and then stopped a while back.
If you got to Amelia then you're probably in the same boat as me. I skipped Old Yharnam/Hemwick in my NG+ playthrough (was trying to see how quickly I could get through the game)

I've been able to put up a fight but the most I've been able to do to the first boss is 1/2 health (generally using fire paper or beast pellets). After several tries I figure I'm gonna try and clear some areas to level up a bit because I really should be doing more damage (I generally don't even care about vitality though, if I'm in a position where I'm gonna die I'll die regardless)

It's funny because I wasn't feeling the determination for vanilla NG+ just because I wasn't completing areas to see what was next anymore. Now that there's the DLC, the vanilla stuff is contributing to that goal so I'm way more up for it (fuck forbidden woods though, not interested in that annoying boss again with bonus health)

Is there any reason not to/penalty for summoning NPCs to help you with bosses? I never did it the first time around in the game and I just noticed I can summon
Alfred
for the Blood Starved Beast.

Does the NPC die for good if they die in the boss battle or something?

anyone on this?

Positively do not give up. I'm on NG+++ as well. But you can absolutely do this.

1. What is your Arcane? Is the Phantasm Shell viable for you at all? You can definitely use the Phantasm Shell to add some damage to your attacks, which is really great for practicing, because it only costs three bullets. Once you can predictably get to the second phase, you can start using Fire Paper for an even bigger benefit. But it's good to be good enough to get to that second phase so you don't just waste all your precious paper.

2. Make use of regain. He usually has a considerable cool down between all of his attacks, so even if he takes away half of your health, you can recover a lot of it by just charging and wailing on him. This may even be an intended strategy, because the rune he drops boosts regain.

3. Don't be afraid to unlock and run away as fast as you can when you have to heal. You may have noticed you sometimes heal just to have him immediately slash away everything you just recovered. It is very hard to heal up close.

4. You should definitely be using a heavy weapon like the Hunter's Axe or Ludwig's to take advantage of stun.

5. In the second phase, it can be relatively safe to be RIGHT UP on him, because his swings will often miss. You can sort of camp there until he starts charging an area of effect attack, which is your cue to flee and heal.

6. You can do this.

Great tips for anyone struggling with the first boss, regardless of NG or NG++. I basically did exactly what you described and got him on my 3rd try solo.

Arjen

How do I open that cell with the dude blabbering about bells? I already got a key unlocking those other cells and I'm at the last boss so I guess I missed something.

Next time you get there, yolo it with fire paper, run right up to him (just slightly off-center, to his left or right side) and go fucking ham on him. At some point he'll start to glow or something, at which point he performs an AOE. It worked pretty well for me.

At least, up until I got greedy and didn't run away from that AOE the second time.
Thanks I'll keep that in mind. Problem with the chikage though is that I can't augment it with fire paper. I'm going to try with another character.

aly

One cool thing about the DLC is that there is so many people summoning for help. Which is fun and also allows for more trolling in invasions.

Nose Master

I'm basically just using the knocking guy to farm vials while I learn the first boss. Got him to about 60% with a shitty +5 Saw Spear. I reaaaalllly don't want to go get chunks.

Also: You can totally chain backstab the big guys right by him. They don't drop anything good, though.

Holy shit, holy shit, holy shit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! just leave me alone you
lawrence
!!!!

God lord this fight is just too much for me, he is down anyway but screw you From from covering his weakpoint

Finalow

mother of fuck. I realized only now that bought the digital version of the game in the US store, but I bought the DLC on the EU one.

so uh, I have to buy the DLC again in the US store if I want to play it with that digital version?

Soulflarz

Banned
mother of fuck. I realized only now that bought the digital version of the game in the US store, but I bought the DLC on the EU one.

so uh, I have to buy the DLC again in the US store if I want to play it with that digital version?

Probably, but hey, contact sony about a refund

ship it

One cool thing about the DLC is that there is so many people summoning for help. Which is fun and also allows for more trolling in invasions.

really? something is wrong with my game then. I've been waiting to summon or be summoned for over an hour and nothing.

Lunar15

Haven't started this yet, but all the talk of difficulty has me worried. I used the cane whip, which people often say is weak, but I had almost no issues getting through the main game.

Oh phew, I'm 95 on new game+ and I just dumped all my stacked up insight because I'm a baby. Wish me luck.

fb0.jpg

I was 134, it was fine till the first boss, you will suffer tonight.

Ferr986

Ok things are getting creepy in this game lol

2nd area is awesome, but gotta be in your toes, easy to get rammed and killed. Enemeis give me a big DS1 DLC vibe.

Btw I found a dude
at the ¿prison? and I think I answered the bad answer (first one, something about hearing a bell), did i fuck up something?

Oh man, this is the best DLC I ever played this gen

Grimløck;186669818 said:
don't know which weapons to level up. anyone have a list of all their scaling?

Most of them are Str, with few exception what weapon are you looking for?

Ok things are getting creepy in this game lol

2nd area is awesome, but gotta be in your toes, easy to get rammed and killed. Enemeis give me a big DS1 DLC vibe.

Btw I found a dude
at the ¿prison? and I think I answered the bad answer (first one, something about hearing a bell), did i fuck up something?

You will access that door later, dont worry, for now

TitusTroy

without giving away any spoilers at all, are the new bosses just re-mixed versions of bosses from the main game or are they completely new?...the DLC trailer showed a lot of current bosses but not sure if they were just showing a recap of the main game or if it was remixed bosses (like Smelter Demon from Dark Souls 2 DLC)

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Grimløck;186669818 said:
don't know which weapons to level up. anyone have a list of all their scaling?

Amy arm - A str / C arc
Beast. Saif - B skl / C arc
Beast Cut. - C str
Bloodletter - A str / S bloodtinge / C arc
Boom hammer - A str / C arc
Church Pick - B skl / C arc
Moonlight - B str / C skl / A arc
Kos Para. - S arc
Rakuyo - A skl
Simon's - S skl / S bloodtinge / C arc
Whirl saw - S str / B arc

Okay, first boss isn't seeming quiiiiite so impossible now. Took down a third of its health and got used to dodging it's attacks. Really cool fight but this is gonna take me an absurd amount of tried to beat like Ebrietas or Logarius I'm sure.

without giving away any spoilers at all, are the new bosses just re-mixed versions of bosses from the main game or are they completely new?...the DLC trailer showed a lot of current bosses but not sure if they were just showing a recap of the main game or if it was remixed bosses (like Smelter Demon from Dark Souls 2 DLC)

Well, the first boss is very much new at least. Dunno about the others, I think they are almost all new though.

HORRORSHØW

Amy arm - A str / C arc
Beast. Saif - B skl / C arc
Beast Cut. - C str
Bloodletter - A str / S bloodtinge / C arc
Boom hammer - A str / C arc
Church Pick - B skl / C arc
Moonlight - B str / C skl / A arc
Kos Para. - S arc
Rakuyo - A skl
Simon's - S skl / S bloodtinge / C arc
Whirl saw - S str / B arc

thanks so much. so amy arm and boom boom scale the same...god damnit

Haven't started this yet, but all the talk of difficulty has me worried. I used the cane whip, which people often say is weak, but I had almost no issues getting through the main game.

The Threaded Cane is a weak weapon with a very low stamina cost. It also has very long reach and a 20% damage bonus against beasts in whip mode. The Threaded Cane is great for evasive players who can master its moveset for maximum damage output. It's definitely a popular favorite.

You should always use the weapon YOU are most comfortable with using. No matter what that is. Lots of players are only really good with one weapon. The Threaded Cane is one of them.

If you were able to beat powerful bosses like Ebrietas and Martyr Logarius with your Threaded Cane, I wouldn't be too worried about anything in the DLC.

But the first boss is EXTREMELY HARD. The Prima guide says it's harder than most bosses in the entire main game, and it's not kidding. Perhaps your evasion skills, though, will fare you well.

Amedo310

Is there a spoiler or lore thread talking about the new stuff? I'm interested in:

The Orphan of Kos area. Wow at the scenery with many creatures bowing down along a cave to a single similar creature in the in a water with a dead dragon behind it.

Okay, first boss isn't seeming quiiiiite so impossible now. Took down a third of its health and got used to dodging it's attacks. Really cool fight but this is gonna take me an absurd amount of tried to beat like Ebrietas or Logarius I'm sure.

Yeah this has already topped Ebrietas for most frustrating/time consuming boss fight for me.

Finalow

Probably, but hey, contact sony about a refund
lol sony support.
goddamn. isn't there a way to transfer my characters to the disc (EU) version from the digital (US) one? Like copying the saves or something. I can play the DLC there but I have no characters, it's not too much of a problem to make a new one and reach the DLC but I won't be able to try all the builds I had with the new weapons. =^|

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Grimløck;186670787 said:

Well keep in mind how weird the letter scaling is sometimes. One might scale better than the other.

Which weapon do you like more? Amy arm is hideous looking IMO but the moveset seems great, while boom hammer is the opposite. Looks cool but I don't like the moveset so much.

Curufinwe

I managed to find and open the first gate and get back to the Dream without dying. I'm only level 115 on NG+ but I was doing good damage with my Axe +10.

SpokkX

Uh im level 160 on NG+ and get totally wrecked by the first boss..

Everything on NG+ is quite easy but this is just.. Well i am not sure i can beat it :(

Using threaded cane.. Perhaps thats the problem?

Okay, spoilers

First boss is new
Second Boss is a "reskin" with new moves
Third Boss is a reskin but new
just a hunter
Fourth Boss is new

Grimløck;186670787 said:

How is your playstyle?
Amy (lol) is basically a short range mace in its transform mode is a long range weapon
Boom hammer is a short hammer in its transform mode is a high burst explosive axe whichs requires constant reloads like the chikage

Uh im level 160 on NG+ and get totally wrecked by the first boss..

Everything on NG+ is quite easy but this is just.. Well i am not sure i can beat it :(

Using threaded cane.. Perhaps thats the problem?

Heavy weapons with high regain really help. Somebody quoted a list of tips higher on this page, check them out if you haven't.

Top Bottom