• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

Soulflarz

Banned
I'm probably just stupid, but how does the League covenant actually work? I have equipped the rune Valtr gives to you, and I want to co-op and help people, both in the main game and DLC, so I can collect some vermin.

Do I need to use some kind of bell or should I automatically be summoned into co-ops?

On this topic- Kotaku specifically said you want to join the league for the expansion for reasons they couldn't say, and I'm sitting here confused as to why you need to join the league. What does it do to the DLC, I wonder?

Also- what's this about full beasthood, I guess I never looked into that either :V

KRaZyAmmo

There's a sickness that transforms people into beasts.

Don't even ask me to explain anything or the alien shit beyond that. I'm just enjoying the challenge.

I got that sickness part. I just don't understand what the alien sh*t has to do with it.

Akara

Banned
Just wanted to make sure, am I the only one who has 999 blood vials and 999 bullets? #teamdoesntlevel #nodupe #justalotofgrinding

Hypron

Ring for a covenant npc. The fight becomes easy once there is someone else to draw his attention.

Nah it doesn't feel rewarding if something else helps out. I almost killed him on my last try so I can definitely do it. Some of his attacks do insane damage, I've got 1900HP and can still get 1HKO'd by 2 of them lol

taybul

Ah just beat this. Loved it all the way through.
Orphan was intense but also fun. Pretty much on par with Gehrman.
Now to play with the new weapons in the dungeons.

Fhtagn

Funny experience tonight. I spent a couple hours on my level 61, 30 VIT NG skill character, who doesn't have any fancy gems, and enjoyed bashing my head against that wall for a while but completely ran out of vials and bullets and wasn't interested in grinding so I switched over to my level 163, 70 VIT NG+ character, speed ran to the League guy, then did a ton of co-op in the first area.

Never once did we beat the first boss.

But then, last attempt before bed, I decide to try it solo, and because my health bar was full length and I was doing more damage, I took the boss down on my first try, using 15 vials and some fire paper to do it.

GREAT boss fight. My heart was pounding.

Then I explored the next area and had a perfect horror movie experience, so finely tuned that I thought it was a scripted event (but wasn't!) where I saw something pass behind me in a chilling glance.

So far, this DLC is A+!

Funny experience tonight. I spent a couple hours on my level 61, 30 VIT NG skill character, who doesn't have any fancy gems, and enjoyed bashing my head against that wall for a while but completely ran out of vials and bullets and wasn't interested in grinding so I switched over to my level 163, 70 VIT NG+ character, speed ran to the League guy, then did a ton of co-op in the first area.

Never once did we beat the first boss.

But then, last attempt before bed, I decide to try it solo, and because my health bar was full length and I was doing more damage, I took the boss down on my first try, using 15 vials and some fire paper to do it.

GREAT boss fight. My heart was pounding.

Then I explored the next area and had a perfect horror movie experience, so finely tuned that I thought it was a scripted event (but wasn't!) where I saw something pass behind me in a chilling glance.

So far, this DLC is A+!

Sounds incredible! Pay day today! Can finally buy this. Ca t wait for some bb action

So I unlocked L
aurence
and fought it a few times.
Not a big fan. The fight is pretty much the usual Cleric Beast MO. No lock-on and run around his right leg. The thing that makes the initial phase difficult is those obnoxious AOE fire blasts on some of its attacks that can catch you even if you dodge the move itself. That and the absurd damage. I have a fair bit of vitality (50 with a 10% rune) but even with that amount I get very close to being one-shot by certain stuff. I'm sure if I took off the rune I would be. Furthest I got was just as its lower half fell off an started leaking lava. I'll try it again later but from my initial impression this is BBs Blue Smelter Demon

As much as I enjoy this game From really needs to tone down the effects during boss fights if its to the detriment of the frame rate

Voidwolf

Planning to purchase this tomorrow. I know it depends on how difficult the game is for someone, but about how many hours of content does this add to the game?

klee123

I did a test of Blackside Eye at ARC 50

And it does just 6 points of damage less than the Evelyn +10 with the best Bloodtinge gem at BLD 50.

That's pretty impressive IMO.

Soulflarz

Banned
Just wanted to make sure, am I the only one who has 999 blood vials and 999 bullets? #teamdoesntlevel #nodupe #justalotofgrinding

No, keep it 100 less so you don't get the damn "item cant be sent to storage because ___" message every 4s, since you can't move with it up vs the normal item pickup message

Hypron

Speaking of framerate, it drops a lot when the first boss does its charged attacks in the second phase. Not ideal when they deal tons of damage haha

Soulflarz

Banned
Planning to purchase this tomorrow. I know it depends on how difficult the game is for someone, but about how many hours of content does this add to the game?

3 for those of us who unnaturally play souls fast to do the main story and another 1.5 for all items, probably 10-15 normal.

Going to farm until get to level 200 then I'll come back to the DLC.

uh...what NG are you on? On NG 130 was overkill by a mile, and someone in here did NG+ Ludwig at 85.

Fhtagn

I know I'll be sad once I finish getting all the trophies for this DLC, but on the upside, all bosses speed runs are going to be pretty interesting to watch for the next couple weeks as people optimize a new path now that there are all sorts of new weapons available early on (since you can grab a ton of them before the first DLC boss.)

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Stat question: I use the saw cleaver which I know is based more on my str than skill. I have 50 str right now and had 25 skill. I had 8 levels to use and I compared using them, and doing skill 8 times raised my attack like 10 compared to only like 4 when I tried raising str 8 times. I know that my str is hard capped, but my skill is soft capped so I figured str would still do more benefit. Does that mean that I should raise skill to hard cap before leveling str more? Or is there something going on behind the scenes that's too meta for me?

Thanks!

Never, *ever* raise a stat that has reached 50, unless you already has 50 in everything. Little to no point of doing that. It would be much more beneficial for you to raise Skill, especially since with higher Skill you will also raise the damage of your viscerals.

jmaine_ph

3 for those of us who unnaturally play souls fast to do the main story and another 1.5 for all items, probably 10-15 normal.

uh...what NG are you on? On NG 130 was overkill by a mile, and someone in here did NG+ Ludwig at 85.
NG++ idk maybe I'll just go to 175-180

jmaine_ph

I'm 150 and it's really enough for NG+3 tbh. I just stacked up on health and switched to the ludwig holy sword to maximise my damage output. It's normal souls difficulty now instead of being ungoldy hard.
Idk man I've been getting my ass handed to me. It just doesn't feel good. Usually after I level up after feeling this way I'm good. Plus I'm rusty. Haven't played since May when I got the platinum.

Wagram

Fuck me I had O
rphan
of K
os
at 5% on the first try and blew it.

Got it on third try. This DLC seems to have a nice balance between good boss fights and punishing boss fights (my personal favorite). Onto the final encounter!

Hypron

yesssssssss

fuck you ng+3
ludwig

How do you like being killed by
your own sword
huh?

:D

Idk man I've been getting my ass handed to me. It just doesn't feel good. Usually after I level up after feeling this way I'm good. Plus I'm rusty. Haven't played since May when I got the platinum.

Yeah fair enough! Later chalices are pretty much the best place to farm echoes for levelling up :)

Soulflarz

Banned
I'm 150 and it's really enough for NG+3 tbh. I just stacked up on health and switched to the ludwig holy sword to maximise my damage output. It's normal souls difficulty now instead of being ungoldy hard.

It's moreso by that point levels have hit such diminishing returns that it's not worth the effort to level vs learning to get great at each boss for the DLC.

Lingitiz

Okay finally took down the first boss, got down to no blood vials and got super lucky on a stun.

Damn I forgot how exhilarating these games can be when they pose a significant challenge. Definitely had a rush of adrenaline throughout the whole thing that I didn't get too often with the second half of the main game.

Revengineer

Unconfirmed Member

I'm going to out myself here as a really shitty gamer - NG (no pluses) and at level 100 the DLC is still challenging.

It doesn't help that I played Souls 1 not long ago.

mstevens

Never, *ever* raise a stat that has reached 50, unless you already has 50 in everything. Little to no point of doing that. It would be much more beneficial for you to raise Skill, especially since with higher Skill you will also raise the damage of your viscerals.

Not even vitality? I know it's only raising by 8ish now that it's hard capped but I feel like that could add up quickly and be more useful than arcane and bloodtinge.

jmaine_ph

yesssssssss

fuck you ng+3
ludwig

How do you like being killed by
your own sword
huh?

:D

Yeah fair enough! Later chalices are pretty much the best place to farm echoes for levelling up :)
Yea right now I'm in a dungeon getting about 100k in 2 mins.

Tips for 1st boss stage 2? I've got the first half down well (barring the occasional one-shot out of nowhere)

Sword swings are so fast, Idk what the fuck I'm doing

MilkBeard

Tips for 1st boss stage 2? I've got the first half down well (barring the occasional one-shot out of nowhere)

Sword swings are so fast, Idk what the fuck I'm doing

Best is to try to understand which direction he's swinging. Often I make the mistake of dodging the same direction and I end up rolling into the end of his arc.

jmaine_ph

I'm going to out myself here as a really shitty gamer - NG (no pluses) and at level 100 the DLC is still challenging.

It doesn't help that I played Souls 1 not long ago.
They did an amazing job with this DLC. Its tough but I love this game so much I'll never let it win. I just have to git gud lol

Roussow

Should I not beat Vicar Amelia before installing the DLC? Or can I just come back to the skull at any point in the game after?

Managed to make it to the
Rakuyo
at level 53, my brother and I both played the character to see how far we could go. Did only what I had to to unlock the DLC, now I get to enjoy the rest of the game with my shiny new weapon.

Top Bottom