• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloomberg: Destiny 'Payback' was a spin off third person shooter, Final Shape didn't sold well, Bungie was planning to rebrand Destiny 2

Draugoth

Gold Member

TLDR:

• Final Shape undeperformed
  • Payback was a third person spin off that took place in Destiny universe, played like Genshin Impact, Warfarme
  • Bungie was planning to rebrand Destiny 2 to attract new players, abandoned the idea to focus on Marathon, but they are still working on making a smooth experience.
  • Destiny 2 is moving away from annual content

One of Bungie’s big bets was Payback, an incubation project set in the Destiny universe that would shake up the formula in major ways, according to the people familiar. It would pivot from a first-person to a third-person perspective and allow players to use the franchise’s characters to explore a large world while cooperating to battle monsters and solve puzzles. The pitch took elements from popular games such as Warframe and Genshin Impact.

Although several internet rumors over the last few months have suggested that Payback would be a sequel to Destiny 2, it was a significant departure from the previous two games, according to the people familiar, and would have been perceived more as a spinoff.

But two months ago Bungie canceled Payback to prioritize games that were more imminent, moving the bulk of its team to Marathon, which is targeting a release in 2025.

The company also plans to continue updating Destiny 2, although it will no longer pursue regular paid expansions as it did in the past, according to the people familiar. During one recent meeting, a company leader told attendees that sales of each expansion had declined year over year, including June’s The Final Shape, so they would be moving away from an annual release model.

Some staff said they’re optimistic about the vision for Destiny 2 under new director Tyson Green, a Bungie veteran who took the helm earlier this year. In the coming months, the people said, Bungie will look to retain and attract players with smaller-scale content drops modeled after Into the Light, a well-received update in April that added a new mode to the game. Rather than selling this content, they said, Bungie will aim to release it for free along with overhauls to activities that it hopes will appeal to hardcore players. Other vague plans for the future include a storyline that will feature characters and worlds that Destiny has not yet explored.

Fans have wondered if Bungie might one day start anew with a Destiny 3, but such a project has not been in development, according to the people familiar. Bungie is instead looking to create a smoother onboarding process for Destiny 2, such as a rebranding, to attract new players who might be turned off by a game that can now feel impenetrable to those unfamiliar with its ample proper nouns.

Those left at Bungie will now have to make do with a smaller staff, tighter schedules and a company that looks significantly different than it did three days ago. Longtime veterans Luke Smith and Mark Noseworthy exited this week, according to the people familiar, as did several other top leaders, leaving lingering questions about the future of decision-making at Bungie.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
It's really hard to attract ne as they are extremely elusive.
N - E - Body

Mean Girls Halloween GIF

;)

Killjoy-NL

Better Bungie (em)brace themselves for Sony's takeover the company. Bungie smells like hot pile of garbage of a studio currently. Sony did a terrible job by acquiring it and Firewalk Studios.
Bungie's problem was their leadership, not the quality they can deliver.

Edit:

Similar to Firewalk, for that matter.
Both studios make dumb business decisions.

Last edited:

Mobilemofo

I can't even be arsed with redownloading destiny. I get the urge to play it, but then remember it's a slog, and don't bother. Only bought two packs from years back, didn't bother with any of the others. Especially at the prices they were charging.

Haint

They're losing like 70-90% of potential new and returning Destiny players dragging Destiny 2's corpse behind the horse until it's a skeleton of grinded bones. The game is completely inaccessible and unapproachable. What a bunch of abject retards Sony and Bungie have working for them to spend $4 billion dollars on that shit and continue down such an obvious path to ruin. Good luck making a crossplatform extraction shooter a thing on consoles as 500Hz monitor mouse/kb hackers murder your most valuable Playstation customers before they can even finish their first match.

Last edited:
F2P evergreen titles like Fortnite or WZ or Apex are great at what they do and succeed because it doesn’t matter when you jump in, you can just jump in and go and even have a great experience paying nothing.

Destiny 2 is a joke of a F2P title and worst of all, new players are in for a world of hurt with all of the shit going on. Once the diehard fanbase of Destiny slows down/slowed down, it was never going to keep grabbing new players at a sustainable pace.

LectureMaster

Gold Member
I had 2500+ hours across D1 and D2, had great time with the Destiny community on GAF (tho many went to RE). I don't know, Bungie started to feel weird when they parted with Activision.

Pejo

Gold Member
I haven't played Destiny 2 in a very long time, but I seem to remember for the Final Shape that they went full DEI and then told players that didn't like it something like 'we don't want you playing our game then'. I always find it ironic that devs that spout stuff about "we want a wider audience" always ends up limiting themselves in this exact way.

Seems a little extreme to try and run 3 GAAS games at the same time. Guess Sony thought the same.
And yet miHoYo is sitting over here at over 160 million dollars of revenue per month in 3 live service games.
SY3jOY3.jpeg

Destiny 2 feels dreamy to play, but it’s so bloated and convoluted that it’s damn near unplayable on a casual basis. Which is why I was pumped for Marathon: that beautiful Bungie gameplay in a new, fresh setting.

And then that hero news came, total hype-killer. Fuckers.

I haven't played Destiny 2 in a very long time, but I seem to remember for the Final Shape that they went full DEI and then told players that didn't like it something like 'we don't want you playing our game then'. I always find it ironic that devs that spout stuff about "we want a wider audience" always ends up limiting themselves in this exact way.

And yet miHoYo is sitting over here at over 160 million dollars of revenue per month in 3 live service games.
SY3jOY3.jpeg

Probably helps that they are sort of all dung-based.

K' Dash

I remember having a blast with the first Destiny Game, so much time spent with good friends.

I didn’t get Destiny 2, though, could not justify sinking hundreds of hours again, as much as I wanted to, I was back to college and working to get a couple certifications, I would have for sure left everything to play 😂

ultrazilla

TLDR:

• Final Shape undeperformed
  • Payback was a third person spin off that took place in Destiny universe, played like Genshin Impact, Warfarme
  • Bungie was planning to rebrand Destiny 2 to attract new players, abandoned the idea to focus on Marathon, but they are still working on making a smooth experience.
  • Destiny 2 is moving away from annual content

All the blame can be placed squarely at the foot of Bungie for absolutely fucking this I.P. up leading to this point.

They were too worried about making their characters gay and jumping into the Sweet Baby narrative(hell, defense really) along with being a champion for DEI.

Anyone with a functioning brain cell could see where all this bullshit was leading and I suspect all the former Bungie employees who quit/moved on when this starting becoming evident
knew they should get out of there before the iceberg hit.

If anything, I think we're seeing Sony "clean up" the damage being done by DEI/Sweet Baby. The rumor has it most of those "laid off" supported the Sweet Baby/DEI expansion at Bungie.

That's the first thing Sony should be excising and it appears to be the case.

Destiny is on life support. I have so many awesome memories from playing the game. "Everything woke turns to shit!"-everyone with common sense.

Robot Carnival

Gold Member
I feel the biggest mistake they made was vaulting some of the older contents and make them unplayable. it's a bad look when you tell people that they can't go back to play what they had paid for, no matter how much space it's taking up or how unpopular it is. it also made for a terrible new player experience. so much so that most current players of Destiny 2 probably can't recommend in good faith the game for new players to hop in. me included. why can't they make it so that all the old contents can be download and play as a single player experience for those who want to? that would be at least something. I still plays the game a lot but I had definitely slowed down now that I had finished the Final Shape. I hope they are able to pull themselves together and get things sorted out.

as for the comparison with MiHoYo games, I feel that's rather unfair since those are completely different type of GasS types. being F2P on mobile makes a huge difference. that and the fact that there is a very high possibility that they're also supported by the CCP in one way or the other.

Pejo

Gold Member
I feel the biggest mistake they made was vaulting some of the older contents and make them unplayable. it's a bad look when you tell people that they can't go back to play what they had paid for, no matter how much space it's taking up or how unpopular it is. it also made for a terrible new player experience. so much so that most current players of Destiny 2 probably can't recommend in good faith the game for new players to hop in. me included. why can't they make it so that all the old contents can be download and play as a single player experience for those who want to? that would be at least something. I still plays the game a lot but I had definitely slowed down now that I had finished the Final Shape. I hope they are able to pull themselves together and get things sorted out.
Yea the vaulting of content was a shit decision and never panned out as they promised, where they'd re-release it regularly with updated content and exciting changes. Pft.
as for the comparison with MiHoYo games, I feel that's rather unfair since those are completely different type of GasS types. being F2P on mobile makes a huge difference. that and the fact that there is a very high possibility that they're also supported by the CCP in one way or the other.
Uhhh...
UAopVSF.jpeg

The point I was trying to make with HoYo is that they actually deliver on "wider audiences" and are successful at running 3 highly popular GaaS with huge populations and high revenue, so there's no reason Sony couldn't do it.

clarky

Gold Member
They need to stop trying to make destiny 2 happen. it's not going to happen. The game didnt sell all that well. And now we know they lied about the yearly revenues. Hope Sony sues them and gets its money back.
What? It already happened. Its been one of the top live service games of the last few years, what are you talking about?

Where does it say they lied about yearly revenues? Because if that's true i'd be expecting to see the finance director and CEO in court fairly soon.

Its at the end of its life, but its been going successfully for nigh on ten years.

Last edited:
It's sad to read if true. It felt like they were edging closer and closer to a third person shooter with some of the things they were doing with Destiny 2.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
What? it already happened. Its been one of the top live service games of the last few years, what are you talking about?

Where does it say they lied about yearly revenues? Because if that's true i'd be expecting to see the finance director and CEO in court fairly soon.

Its at the end of its life, but its been going successfully for nigh on ten years.
From Stephen Totillo.

But Bungie’s leaders had overstated their studio’s financial prospects to Sony, and Wednesday’s cuts were needed to stop continued losses that amounted to an ongoing reality check, three ex-Bungie sources told Game File.

“I think Sony overpaid for Bungie,” one of the former insiders said, on condition of anonymity to avoid damaging their career. “I think Bungie sold things they were just not able to deliver.”

clarky

Gold Member
From Stephen Totillo.

But Bungie’s leaders had overstated their studio’s financial prospects to Sony, and Wednesday’s cuts were needed to stop continued losses that amounted to an ongoing reality check, three ex-Bungie sources told Game File.
Overstating their financial prospects is not the same as lying about yearly revenues.

Being optimistic is not a crime.

Sony will have looked at their projections and agreed with them. That's on Sony. It went tits up afterwards.

Last edited:

Robot Carnival

Gold Member
Uhhh...
UAopVSF.jpeg

The point I was trying to make with HoYo is that they actually deliver on "wider audiences" and are successful at running 3 highly popular GaaS with huge populations and high revenue, so there's no reason Sony couldn't do it.

I said "mobile" didn't I? THAT is a big difference in terms of audience reach and potential income. and anime style is the new hotness right now so it's not like Destiny can just change their style all of a sudden. and you can't really compare a third person action game to a mostly first person shooting game. the amount of resource/time needed is rather different, I would imagine.

to Bungie's credit, outside of the halfass F2P effort, the core paying experience is still one of the best in the genre. Division, Anthem and any other co-op sci-fi shooter that's not name Warframe had pretty much all sunk. Destiny, no matter how much you hate it, still has one of the best co-op FPS raid experience out there. it's the other parts of the game that they need to figure out and fix in order to improve the game.

xBlueStonex

I'm an idiot and I bought Final Shape. At least it made me finally admit to myself that I hate this game.
We are the same person. Dropped $50 on the day it launched and literally got 3 missions in before I realized how much I was hating it. Haven't touched it since, and was suprised at the positive reception. Literally has some of the worst level design out of all Destiny 1/2 expansions.

D2 going into LightFall had so much going for it. LightFall was such a disaster that it essentially killed the franchise.

It wasn't all LF, however. I think LF just ended up being the culmination of players checking out after numerous shitty moves by Bungie.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
So instead of Destiny 3, just take the existing game, give it a new name and probably add some bells and whistles and call it a new game hoping to milk it for another decade. Got it.

Shubh_C63

Taking Into the Light update as an example for content to come is probably the wise decision. The update literally brought back Destiny 2 from its lowest morale point.
Means no rhythmic releases but staggered ones with probably a cool mini Dungeon exotic quest paired with a very grindy good activity.

If they commit to a staggered release this might play into their FOMO strategy with Destiny having the best player retention record already. Its attracting new players that is the problem.

I just can't believe they weren't making money because the game is just so popular. Consistently being under Top20 played games on Steam even with historic lows with Lightfall.

Possibly the worst acquisition in gaming history, certainly for the amount paid. Just more bad news for Sony first party studios, Bungie was meant to lead the GaaS charge for PlayStation but they dropped the ball and no one else picked it up. Bungie will be closed in less than 2 years and anyone who saw what these guys did in their heyday will realise how tragic that will be.

Top Bottom