• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blue Dragon (Xbox360) |OT|

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
So, when some people are finished with the game, I wouldn't mind seeing reviews.

Bepbo, I'll be on the lookout for yours. :)

IJoel

john tv said:
I think you're underestimating the power of having Sakaguchi and Toriyama attached to this title. Seriously.

I'm not sure the game would've received such a huge marketing push, specially putting Sakaguchi and Toriyama at the forefront (on ads) for many months, if it had been on any other platform. It's really not a one sided benefit. MS is making sure the new studio is successful, while Mistwalker is making sure MS has a big game that caters to the Japanese audience.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
DCharlie said:
seems to be the closest they've got to Japanese tastes at least, although taht might be a bit premature i guess - by disk 2 i guess i could be a bald space marine who circle strafes his way to glory!
:lol

You know, that would actually have been a great boss for an RPG like this. Throw in a bald space marine and load him up with lots of attacks based on such cliches.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
All I've seen of this game are a bunch of cinematic screen caps. There has to be some good gameplay footage out by now, can someone point me in the right direction?
.... FIVE of the above are in game.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
LegendofJoe said:
All I've seen of this game are a bunch of cinematic screen caps. There has to be some good gameplay footage out by now, can someone point me in the right direction?
I wish I could direct you to my site, but it looks like my game has been lost between the main shipping warehouse and my home so I may not be able to do some footage until tomorrow :(
A few shots posted by bebpo and the first 3 shots by dcharlie in this page are from the game itself.
Gameplay:
picssss224024.jpg

Wow, it never ceases to amaze me how good bright, colorful games look in HD-the picture clarity and style is stunning no doubt about it.

BTW if my last post sounded kinda trollish sorry, I was really just trying to get someone to link me to footage of someone playing the finished game. Thanks for that shot though blim.

duckroll

BenjaminBirdie said:
There's a HOSPITAL dungeon??

It's not much of a spoiler since it's in the first 4 hours but...
it's an abanonded underground hospital from ancient tech times.

I'm almost 10 hours into the game now and HOLY SHIT it's REALLY charming. Too bad I feel that I'm far enough that talking about what I'm seeing is pretty much all spoilers now! :lol

Seriously there's some AWESOME stuff coming up that's ****ing cute! :D :D :D

Oh and yes, I'm still on the first disc, it's not going to end anytime soon I think, so I don't think there should be any concerns about the game being really short.

DCharlie said:

"LOOKIT ALL DAT JUICE!!"

(They really need to make the next Blue Dragon like those Lilo & Stitch trailers where Stitch crashes through other Disney movies. Because in this shot he is clearly outside the Pumping Station.)

duckroll said:

JRPG Version Of Lost CONFIRMED.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
Bebpo said:
Got about 4 and 1/2 hours in now. Game dramatically picked up from the 2 hours mark to the point where when I look at the starting areas I swear they were made by some outsourced team in a shack or something.

Once you hit the DUNGEONS and not just the overworld a lot of the problems like "big bland areas" get fixed into "nicely detailed hallways" and "I can't see where I'm going" goes into "I can see down this hallway" :p The map system is still useless and down the line when dungeons get big and complex you might have to be drawing a map out on paper like the old days, but we'll see where that goes.

The battle system also picks up around then as once you start getting a decent bit in several jobs, the system really shines. It's a fantastic mix of FF5 x Grandia w/a touch of SMT. Monster interactions add to old school elemental interactions, job mixing can let you create highly damage attacks (for instance if you have "flame fist" which is a physical + fire attack, if you are the monk job and do a perfect charge you'll get about 2x damage. So if you do a monk job flame fist on a flame weak enemy you'll be doing about 4x damage). The timing bar is also an excellent addition as you can plan out strategies because due to enemy reactions to certain attacks or enemy "phases" you might want to hold your attack off until someone else has a turn and the bar lets you set it whenever you want. Also being able to charge and increase the effectiveness of you attacks/magic is a neat touch. Overall the game is already making great use of Blue Dragon's battle system by the 3-4 hour in dungeon and it's really good.

The game is also a lot more fun when enemies start doing damage :p Until about 2:30 in enemies would do about 2 points of damage per hit when I had 80+ HP... yeah, zzzz. But around 2:30 in they start doing 30-50 points of damage and coming in large packs and then...yeah, fun :)

The graphics are pretty nice looking, though there is still tons of screen tearing (basically any time you do an elemental attack with a dragon since you have the added elemental effects), but at least the tearing doesn't rear its head outside of battle besides for maybe 1/2 a second in a cutscene or two. I'm still really anti the over-use of the depth of field effect though, the village in those first two pics is JAW-DROPPINGLY GORGEOUS. But you can't really see anything past the building in front of you without it being a total blur >_< They should patch the game and let you turn off the filter if you want (though I guess it would kill the framerate since detail loads in like GoW as you approach things).

Music is still totally awesome. Despite what some may say, the boss battle theme is very fitting and quite the enjoyable piece :p

So yeah, now that dungeon-design is in place, the battle system is getting challenging and is very nice, and the areas are getting more colorful and detailed...it's definitely an enjoyable rpg. Story is still in the air, but at this point I can at least say that Sakaguchi still knows how to make a turn-based battle system :)

did you try switching to 720p? Just wondering.....:D

LegendofJoe said:
Door is over there.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
.... i see we have reached phase two of the review !

phase 3 due in about , hmm, 12 hours i'd say.

Is there still motion blur for the character movements? I remember when Sakaguchi first talked about the game's graphics, he said how they were able to use real-time motion blur. I wonder if they kept it in.

I think the reason they haven't set a firm NA dat e is becuase they want to use the japanese as a test audience. The few things that people don't like seem easily fixable.

Bebpo

Banned
DCharlie said:
.... i see we have reached phase two of the [p]review !

phase 3 due in about , hmm, 12 hours i'd say.

fixed. A review is something done when a game is finished and all the pros and cons are weighed. As always, on-going impressions are just that...on-going. As the game quality dips up and down so do the impressions. You never seem to get this aspect :p

Altermo

duckroll said:

I'm almost 10 hours into the game now and HOLY SHIT it's REALLY charming.

What do you think about Dragon Quest 8? Many people called it "charming", I think it`s REALLY boring.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Bebpo said:
fixed. A review is something done when a game is finished and all the pros and cons are weighed. As always, on-going impressions are just that...on-going. As the game quality dips up and down so do the impressions. You never seem to get this aspect :p
I have to support you on this.

It is incredibly common for a game to rise and fall in quality as you play through. By posting on-going impressions, it should be assumed that you are simply reporting on your feelings at a specific point in time (especially in regards to RPGs, which are typically quite lengthy).

Look at something like Grandia III. I absolutely loved the first 10-15 hours, and was enjoying it a tad less as I approached the end of disc 1...but the second disc really fell off in quality. Many of the aspects I enjoyed so much early on simply ceased to exist. The earlier impressions would have varied greatly from the later impressions.

dark10x said:
I have to support you on this.

It is incredibly common for a game to rise and fall in quality as you play through. By posting on-going impressions, it should be assumed that you are simply reporting on your feelings at a specific point in time (especially in regards to RPGs, which are typically quite lengthy).

Look at something like Grandia III. I absolutely loved the first 10-15 hours, and was enjoying it a tad less as I approached the end of disc 1...but the second disc really fell off in quality. Many of the aspects I enjoyed so much early on simply ceased to exist. The earlier impressions would have varied greatly from the later impressions.

yeah, Grandia III disc 1 and Grandia III disc 2 are separate games almost.

So, pretty random question, mainly for comparison of old DQ's and FF's: Does anyone know the total amount of "dungeons" in this game? And I trust you know what I mean by dungeons--not to be taken literally. Unless, of course, it's literally a dungeon!

duckroll

Altermo said:
What do you think about Dragon Quest 8? Many people called it "charming", I think it`s REALLY boring.

Well, if you don't mind spoilers a place you visit about 8 hours or so into the game... I think the trailers might have shown a small bit of this but I'm not sure.

There's this abandoned passage between a mountain path where you find this ancient race of....... drawings. They're literally moving cave painting of some silly cute beings on the wall that move along the walls and you can talk to them. There are also these small flying paintings on the wall that look like the bats in DQ, but they're..... cats according to the race of paintings. There are adult paintings and child paintings as well as male and female ones. The passage has about 5 big circular rooms of them connected between tunnels, so it's kinda like a small village.

In other news, after about 10 hours I finally got to Gibral castle. The castle town is nice and big, probably about half of FFXII's city size or maybe less, but just as populated. The castle itself is nice and big too. The plot's catching up to the TGS demo scene! Yay! About 11:30 hours now, still on disc 1! :D

well..
i was fighting the snake with several heads when near the end of the fight, i was about to kill her, suddenly she converted Shu into a bizarre green little creature, it was really annoying.. but i noticed that little green bastard which was then Shu is the same creature that appears in the Lost Odyssey demo, here's a pic of what i'm saying: http://www.paperbag.jazztel.es/lostodysseydemo/IMG_2736.jpg,
curious

BlimBlim what are your thoughts about the game? is it what you were expecting?

pswii60

argh! it's gonna be ages til this comes out in Europe :-(

Since Ico I haven't been this captivated by screenshots of a game. Trusty Chopin Bell Ends to look forward to too.

Just hope MS are already localising it for the US/Europe

Blimblim

The Inside Track
intheinbetween said:
BlimBlim what are your thoughts about the game? is it what you were expecting?
It's exactly what I was expecting, and I was expecting some great stuff. It's maybe even more beautiful than I thought it would be.

alterego

Blimblim said:
Yes got the game, first 10 minutes are encoding.
What a beautiful game :D

Blim will this video be streamable from a normal windows XP system to the 360?
(I think only WMV is supported)

Blimblim

The Inside Track
alterego said:
Blim will this video be streamable from a normal windows XP system to the 360?
(I think only WMV is supported)
Of course :) It'll be online in about 45 minutes.

I'll let you guys decide the caption for this :D
bd1.jpg

Bebpo, is the boring 30 minutes you speak of the whole sand fin thingy? Because to me it seems to be pretty well crafted and has a nice atmosphere to the whole thing.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
DarknessTear said:
Bebpo, is the boring 30 minutes you speak of the whole sand fin thingy? Because to me it seems to be pretty well crafted and has a nice atmosphere to the whole thing.
I think he's talking about what's coming right after it, you'll see it in the second part of my video but I've cut most of it out because it's indeed a snorefest.

Blimblim said:
I think he's talking about what's coming right after it, you'll see it in the second part of my video but I've cut most of it out because it's indeed a snorefest.

Ahhh that's too bad. I liked what I saw in the 10 minute video lots though.

Bebpo

Banned
DarknessTear said:

No, that's the intro, which is pretty nice. The boring section starts after the FMVs stop happening and lasts for about 1-2 hours.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
DarknessTear said:
Ahhh that's too bad. I liked what I saw in the 10 minute video lots though.
Well I wouldn't say it's "too bad", it's just a way for the real RPG newbies to get used to the fight system and exploration.
Can you believe this is realtime?
bd3.jpg

Top Bottom