• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blue Dragon (Xbox360) |OT|

Blimblim

The Inside Track
duckroll said:
We need to round up those playing the Japanese version and compete to unlock all the secret achievements asap btw. :D
I doubt I'll have the time for this. Just making my way throught the main story will be difficult enough ;)

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Just got a preorder at my local store this morning. It has begun...

duckroll

Doomgaze-MWFR said:
One thing i really want to know is if the side-quest are going to be as the ff ones, with hidden places, hidden optionnal boss etc.

Yes. They are tied to achievements as well.

Acidote

duckroll said:
First Japanese Blue Dragon play sighting confirmed! 2 achievements! :eek:

http://live.xbox.com/ja-JP/profile/profile.aspx?pp=0&GamerTag=walkon

walkon.png

Forming assassination squad :lol

Nice. Hope we get a better quality version, and I hope they keep the Japanese voices in the US version since they sound pretty good. :)

Jcgamer60

vspectra06 said:
Nice. Hope we get a better quality version, and I hope they keep the Japanese voices in the US version since they sound pretty good. :)

That would be nice but i highly doubt they will keep the japanese voices.

ethelred

duckroll said:
I was digging around Japanese credits for Manabu Kusunoki, who's responsible for the Blue Dragon world design and worldview, and look what I found. :D

Panzer Dragoon (Sega Saturn):

Original Character Designer, Art Director, Dragon Model Production, Opening CG Production

Panzer Dragoon Zwei (Sega Saturn):

Original Concept/Design, Opening Production

Azel Panzer Dragoon RPG (Sega Saturn):

Original Concept/Design, Chief Designer, Supervising Director

:D

Haunted

That game looks really awesome, has there been any talk of a european release date? I hear it's coming out januar-ish in NA, I desperately hope we get some european love for the game as well. Can't wait to read some more impressions and reviews of this (possible) gem.

I swear, if this game bombs in Japan, there is nothing Microsoft could ever do to gain a foothold in that territory. This seems to be like the culmination of everything the japanese gamers love in their RPGs. Dragon Quest meets Final Fantasy.. add to that the extremely cheap value bundle, an agressive cross-media promotion with 2 mangas, an anime and music (by Uematsu no less) and you are doing everything right to succeed (on paper).

If this doesn't do well just because of the console it's on, I'll lose respect for the japanese gamers - honestly.

ethelred

Haunted_One said:
That game looks really awesome, has there been any talk of a european release date? I hear it's coming out januar-ish in NA, I desperately hope we get some european love for the game as well. Can't wait to read some more impressions and reviews of this (possible) gem.

I swear, if this game bombs in Japan, there is nothing Microsoft could ever do to gain a foothold in that territory. This seems to be like the culmination of everything the japanese gamers love in their RPGs. Dragon Quest meets Final Fantasy.. add to that the extremely cheap value bundle, an agressive cross-media promotion with 2 mangas, an anime and music (by Uematsu no less) and you are doing everything right to succeed (on paper).

If this doesn't do well just because of the console it's on, I'll lose respect for the japanese gamers - honestly.

This is a really tiresome remark...

It looks phenomenal, but it's still one game. And it'll probably sell well (particularly given its system). But you're crazy if you think one game is going to move hordes and hordes of systems. The PS2 was successful because it had masses and masses of the games that were exactly what Japanese consumers wanted, not just one of them. And even then, no RPGs beyond Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, and Pokemon did that well.

But yes, the game is going to perform relatively poorly, compared to some PS2 RPGs, because of the console it's on. And that doesn't mean there's something wrong with Japanese consumers that they should have some people they don't care about in another country "losing respect" for them.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
ethelred said:

It looks phenomenal, but it's still one game. And it'll probably sell well (particularly given its system). But you're crazy if you think one game is going to move hordes and hordes of systems. The PS2 was successful because it had masses and masses of the games that were exactly what Japanese consumers wanted, not just one of them. And even then, no RPGs beyond Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, and Pokemon did that well.
The PS2 was succesful at first in Japan because it was a cheap DVD player at the right place and the right time. But it's a debate for another topic :)

duckroll

Jcgamer60 said:
You expect them to buy a console for 1 game?
ethelred said:

But yes, the game is going to perform relatively poorly, compared to some PS2 RPGs, because of the console it's on. And that doesn't mean there's something wrong with Japanese consumers that they should have some people they don't care about in another country "losing respect" for them.

That's where you're BOTH wrong. There's a very good reason why everyone is watching Blue Dragon's performance in Japan VERY carefully. Not only is it MS' biggest push in Japan ever, it is also the most perfectly timed.

This is the first Xbox360 game in Japan to actually have ANY awareness at all outside of otaku-circles. People in Japan and even stores are paying attention and pushing the game because it really stands a chance.

MS has specifically timed and priced the Blue Dragon Core Bundle to be pretty much the Core System with the game being free of charge. Never before has a Xbox360 Hardware Pack seen such welcoming preorders in the Japanese market.

This might be one game but it's the game that has all of the marketing and timing perfected for the first time in Japan, and if it fails, it really is the end. Note that by fail no one is really comparing it with PS2 titles or any bullshit imaginary number. If this game pushes more than 30k hardware units in the week, it would be considered relatively successful, and MS's target for the game itself is 200k, while Sakaguchi is happy with 100k at the least.

There's a very, very good reason why this is literally the one game which other Japanese developers are watching to see if they should cancel their Xbox360 projects in 2007. :p

ethelred

Blimblim said:
The PS2 was succesful at first in Japan because it was a cheap DVD player at the right place and the right time. But it's a debate for another topic :)

Well, true, but I was more referring to its consistent long-term success, and the software successes that accompanied it. But replace PS2 with PSX, then -- same point applies.

duckroll said:
That's where you're BOTH wrong.

I'm never wrong, ducky!

duckroll said:
This might be one game but it's the game that has all of the marketing and timing perfected for the first time in Japan, and if it fails, it really is the end. Note that by fail no one is really comparing it with PS2 titles or any bullshit imaginary number. If this game pushes more than 30k hardware units in the week, it would be considered relatively successful, and MS's target for the game itself is 200k, while Sakaguchi is happy with 100k at the least.

There's a very, very good reason why this is literally the one game which other Japanese developers are watching to see if they should cancel their Xbox360 projects in 2007. :p

I wasn't ever implying that there is no way to consider the game successful, and that it's doomed to be considered a failure. I already said in my other post that I think it will sell well given the system it's on.

His statement was that "If it doesn't do well because of the console it's on..." When the truth is, its sales will be considered successful because of the console it's on. They'll be less notable than if it had been a PS2 game, though.

I want Blue Dragon to succeed, and I think it will push the numbers you suggest above. But that's not going to be a FF/DQ-level success, and it's not even going to be a big "Random Hit PS2 RPG" level of success, and to suggest that if Japanese consumers don't make it one of those there's a problem with them is... an off notion.

Haunted

Looking at the current situation of the 360 in Japan *imagines a dead fish in a barrel*, it's pretty clear that it won't sell at a PS2 level (that's really obvious), I should have clarified the definition of success a bit more. It should move a good number of systems though and it should definitely be the best-selling game for the console in Japan - even if that's not saying much. Sakaguchi says everything over 100k is a success, I really consider that number to be reasonable, with a possible 150k - 200k LTD in Japan (or something, gotta be careful with estimates here on GAF :D ).

And the argument that people won't buy a console for one game might be logical, but there have been enough exceptions to that rule in the past, so why should this game, which is specially tailored for this market not be one of those exceptions?

Having said all that, I simply can't help but feel bad for Blue Dragon's creators, given the effort and consideration for the japanese market going into that project. Reality can be so harsh sometimes. ;_;

As BlimBlim pointed out, this game comes at a crucial time for Microsofts presence in the jp market, and I can see that its success will be taken as a gauge for other 3rd party publisher's decision to keep or cancel their current/next 360 projects.

ethelred said:
I was just disputing the notion that Haunted's post seemed to be setting up, that if this game doesn't single-handedly reverse the fate of the 360 in Japan and turn it into a massive mainstream RPG hit machine, Japanese consumers are retards. Or that it should do as well as big RPGs regardless of the console it's on.

I wasn't really trying to set that notion up, sorry if I wasn't clear enough. :)

duckroll

ethelred said:
I want Blue Dragon to succeed, and I think it will push the numbers you suggest above. But that's not going to be a FF/DQ-level success, and it's not even going to be a big "Random Hit PS2 RPG" level of success, and to suggest that if Japanese consumers don't make it one of those there's a problem with them is... an off notion.

When did anyone here say anything about a FF/DQ-level success? Heck these days if you do 300k in Japan you're considered lucky. Look at Rogue Galaxy and even Tales. :p

ethelred

Haunted_One said:
I wasn't really trying to set that notion up, sorry if I wasn't clear enough. :)

Sorry if I overstated your point. The "The Japanese are racists for not supporting this" theme is so pervasive around here and other forums sometimes...

Anyway, no need to argue. I get you. I want the game to be a success, too. I hope it exceeds by a healthy margin the limited barometer of success Microsoft and Sakaguchi are holding it, too.

duckroll said:
When did anyone here say anything about a FF/DQ-level success? Heck these days if you do 300k in Japan you're considered lucky. Look at Rogue Galaxy and even Tales. :p

Pretty sure I already explained that in my last post.

Jcgamer60

For 360 to take japan they would need a whole fleet of rpgs. I'm sure Blue Dragon is interesting a lot of Japanese gamers. Now, if only there were a few more games that could interest them as much as blue dragon does, then i would say 360 has a very good chance of selling well this chirstmas.

Haunted

Jcgamer60 said:
For 360 to take japan they would need a whole fleet of rpgs. I'm sure Blue Dragon is interesting a lot of Japanese gamers. Now, if only there were a few more games that could interest them as much as blue dragon does, then i would say 360 has a very good chance of selling well this chirstmas.

Agreed. The DOAs, Lost Planet and Lost Odyssey on the (far?) horizon are not enough to convince the average japanese gamer I think. If Blue Dragon alone doesn't convince one to buy a 360, the rest of the current library won't help much.

Microsoft needs more games (doesn't even have to be a jRPG) of this caliber for Japan, just as you said.
or quickly do a 180 and release tons of 'non-games' - Microsoft Brain Training ftw
:D

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Jcgamer60 said:
Well in terms of RPG there are quite a few interesting ones announced on 360. In fact there are more seemingly good jRPGs announced on 360 than PS3 for the moment. With Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, Trusty Bell, Cry On and Infinite Undiscovery the 360 has one hell of a jRPG lineup.
And as for other games, Winning Eleven will be released on 360 this month, DOAX2 is out, Lost Planet will be released this month too, Idol Master is coming soon... The next few weeks in Japan are really really good in terms of 360 games. MS really planned this out well, december being a month where a lot of japanese people get their yearly bonus and go crazy on expenses. Nothing really to do with Christmas (correct me if I'm wrong!).
Now MS needs to keep this up and announce new games. This goes for for all markets in fact, it's been too long since we got anything new announced on 360.

Akira

Blimblim said:
This goes for for all markets in fact, it's been too long since we got anything new announced on 360.

The influx of 360 game announcements stopped when you stopped giving hints. :p

i.e. Heard anything recently?

I expect this game to either sell below 100,000k or over 200,000k in Japan. One of those, hopefully the latter if duckroll's words are true.

Ginko

*sigh*

Here we go again with the "will it push the 360" discussion.
Guys, if the game is coming out next year then hell, even I will join the discussion. But it's just a couple of days from now, so you might as well wait till then and see how good it does.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
I've watched the intro video like 10 times now. I'm so hyped for this game!!!! PLEASE MS, DON'T EFF UP THE LOCALIZATION!!! PLEASE, I BEG OF YOU!

dirtmonkey37 said:
I've watched the intro video like 10 times now. I'm so hyped for this game!!!! PLEASE MS, DON'T EFF UP THE LOCALIZATION!!! PLEASE, I BEG OF YOU!

I hope they enhance the NA version similar to what Sqaure did for DQ8. Then th ey can resell it as "the directors cut version" to japan becuase they love buying the same games twice over there.......

john tv

dirtmonkey37 said:
Considering MS's other Japanese localizations in recent memory (N3 comes to mind), I wouldn't get my hopes up too much for BD if I were you.

I do hope it turns out well, but MS has yet to prove they really know how to localize a game. Last generation was pretty bad, too.

john tv said:
Considering MS's other Japanese localizations in recent memory (N3 comes to mind), I wouldn't get my hopes up too much for BD if I were you.

I do hope it turns out well, but MS has yet to prove they really know how to localize a game. Last generation was pretty bad, too.

Seriously? Hmmm... I hadn't really seen a MS localization, myself... unless they localized NGB.

duckroll

john tv said:

But considering Sakaguchi collaborated with Alexander O Smith for the lyrics of Eternity, what are the odds that he might actually convince Smith to translate the game as well? Any ideas?

duckroll said:

More Obata love. :D

I really hope this manga has as little connection to the game as possible and goes off on its own tangent...this is not a comment on the quality of the game at all...just seeing some potential enjoyment in this manga, no tie in etc...seems like it has very little connection thus far

peace

duckroll said:
But considering Sakaguchi collaborated with Alexander O Smith for the lyrics of Eternity, what are the odds that he might actually convince Smith to translate the game as well? Any ideas?

Indeed... but what if the game name gets changed to "Blue Wyrm"? :lol

duckroll

DarknessTear said:
Indeed... but what if the game name gets changed to "Blue Wyrm"? :lol

Alex O Smith is actually very versatile. His use of old english for more serious fantasy games is a distinct style, but he's also also to translate to fit less serious games or scenarios in different settings. Check out his work on BoFV and Phoenix Wright 1. :)

duckroll said:
Alex O Smith is actually very versatile. His use of old english for more serious fantasy games is a distinct style, but he's also also to translate to fit less serious games or scenarios in different settings. Check out his work on BoFV and Phoenix Wright 1. :)

Bah don't take that post so seriously.

He has messed up before, though! "I wish I was a blitzball"

Ginko

nelsonroyale said:
I really hope this manga has as little connection to the game as possible and goes off on its own tangent...this is not a comment on the quality of the game at all...just seeing some potential enjoyment in this manga, no tie in etc...seems like it has very little connection thus far

peace

I think it does, at least a bit.

And about the localization, I don't have high hopes for that, so I'm all for surprises, MS.

Ginko

duckroll said:
Oh my, what could THIS be....

http://bigshadow.jp/

Edit: Hmmm, the source file says that Big Shadow is a play event that will be at Shibuya as well as on the net and is some sort of interactive thing....
What kind of play event? Hmm, I mean it's an RPG after all.

duckroll

Ginko said:
What kind of play event? Hmm, I mean it's an RPG after all.

Probably a promotional event where they push the game, maybe over the weekend? No idea what the net link is, but maybe they'll actually announce more details about the anime soon. :D

Ginko

duckroll said:
Probably a promotional event where they push the game, maybe over the weekend? No idea what the net link is, but maybe they'll actually announce more details about the anime soon. :D
Hopefully! After reading the Manga, I can see how good the anime can be.

Let's just wait and see what this Big Shadow event is all about.

Top Bottom