• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blur |OT|

Anyone buying it just for single player? I have no real desire to play it online but I would love to play the single player, its just a question of how much it offers

Is the whole stats system in single player too? Got to fill those bars!

DaBuddaDa

While I am not sure about the stat bar filling, I think that playing Blur offline would be a lot like playing Mario Kart alone. You can still have fun, but it is not the same experience at all.

DaBuddaDa said:
While I am not sure about the stat bar filling, I think that playing Blur offline would be a lot like playing Mario Kart alone. You can still have fun, but it is not the same experience at all.

On the other hand I prefered CTR and Diddy Kong Racing alone because of the efforts put into the single player (exploring the hub world, etc...)

Hopefully the reviews reveal that the single player is still fun

mr stroke

Witchfinder General said:
Where the hell are the reviews for this game?

I'm buying it regardless but I'd still like to see what the reception is.

they must have put up an embargo up until release day. Which is really strange

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I am torn between 60FPS on PC with $39.99 pricing versus having friends to play against online on X360 or PS3. My other concern is how Activision will handle the DLC.

Swag

DenogginizerOS said:
I am torn between 60FPS on PC with $39.99 pricing versus having friends to play against online on X360 or PS3. My other concern is how Activision will handle the DLC.

I'll be your PC friend ;[

Psy-Phi

Hope there's a demo for the PC version. I'm also going to wait a bit to see if the PC community is actually substantial. No reason to buy a game like this only to have 100 people to play it with.

DLC concerncs me too. But that's more fear coming from Ubisoft than it is Activision. Stupid Prince of Persia DLC I'll never see....

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Vox-Pop said:
The one that is making fun of the awesomeness of Mario Kart.
16bkq49.gif

:lol

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
The commercials work because of the way the little guy sighs "Oh... wow... thats awesome."

He sounds just like Devil Doll (now who remembers THAT?) and that's awesome.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Kaijima said:
The commercials work because of the way the little guy sighs "Oh... wow... thats awesome."

He sounds just like Devil Doll (now who remembers THAT?) and that's awesome.
There's a second one?

Everdred

For the PC crowd worrying about a community... I have gone to several forums and asked if they are going with console version or PC and surprisingly majority are going with the PC version. Granted, I guarantee the console version will have a larger community, it sounds like the PC version is going to be just fine. Specifically with the hardcore crowd.

TwiztidElf

I have it now, but not going to get to play it much tonight as the Survivor Heroes V Villains finale airs tonight in Australia. (No spoilers please).

TwiztidElf said:
I have it now, but not going to get to play it much tonight as the Survivor Heroes V Villains finale airs tonight in Australia. (No spoilers please).

No excuse for either action taken or not taken! Survivor indeed! :lol Go and crash some cars, sir!

Jimrpg

^ Survivor is awesome :p

I'm very undecided about Blur. See PGR2 was a fantastic game because the selection of the cities was amazing, there was just a ton of work and as someone who travels a lot, I really enjoyed driving around the tracks. The career mode was just a collection of varied race events, but the real star was the online racing, the awesome cities and the radio stations. All the cities felt like they fitted together and there were no repeats from PGR1.

PGR3 on the other hand was back to PGR1 cities mostly, it was centred on the populous cities around the world obviously to sell the game to more people... it was a bit disappointing because I had raced those tracks before. It would have been amazing to race around brand new cities but it would have been far too much development work. So all in all PGR3 was a bit of a disappointment.

PGR4 is a title i enjoy but also really annoyed with at the same time... what i do like about it were the brand new cities, but the old cities felt extremely tacked on... fair enough its better they were there to give more variety, but the bikes felt tacked on too, and the whole game really lost FOCUS. it was just a whole bunch of stuff cobbled together into a game. The career mode wouldn't let you restart but during any race you could pause and restart it. Bizarre?

In PGR 1 you could 'bet' the number of kudos, for example the faster your time, the higher the number of kudos you received... which really felt like you were pushing yourself the whole time and gave great replay value... you could set the difficulty in a way until you were ready to move on... and a lot less frustrating than repeatedly being 0.01 sec off a platinum.

But to blur - again the FOCUS seems a bit lost... i haven't played the game, so ill cut it some slack, but Bizarre obviously wants to stick to what its good at - cities, real cars etc. but again the weapon systems feels a bit tacked on... is this something their core PGR fans want to see?

chixdiggit

Dandy J said:
Mark another one up for the PC version, I preordered it on Steam last night.

I got this and Split Second on PC. Both games combined were still under the cost of just one copy on a console.

Did anyone really like the demo/beta? I could never get into it. I do commend them for the "everyone has competition" philosophy, because it really did seem that no matter how bad you were doing there was someone to beat, but at the same time it never seemed like you could make *that* much difference in the race. It's like the race broke up into the folks that rolled shields for their first power-up and the folks that didn't, and never the two shall meet.

arbok26 said:
...But to blur - again the FOCUS seems a bit lost... i haven't played the game, so ill cut it some slack, but Bizarre obviously wants to stick to what its good at - cities, real cars etc. but again the weapon systems feels a bit tacked on... is this something their core PGR fans want to see?

I dunno, I think they've worked hard on the power-ups, and the ability to stack them means there's a broad canvas for experimentation and strategy. I'd say Bizarre want to foster, besides what we know they're good at, an addictive online community experience. Large grid of racers, chaos on the tracks, that sort of thing. The PGR games (and MSR, for that matter) always struck me as a much more comfortable single player experience. BLUR, on the other hand, screams online.

Sysgen

arbok26 said:
But to blur - again the FOCUS seems a bit lost... i haven't played the game, so ill cut it some slack, but Bizarre obviously wants to stick to what its good at - cities, real cars etc. but again the weapon systems feels a bit tacked on... is this something their core PGR fans want to see?

You can turn off the power ups and just do racing like PGR though since I haven't touched the the beta I have no idea about the handling. Will buy for PC if the reviews are good. Too much of a fan of this studio.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
TwiztidElf said:
Where did you get it? Or is it officially out here in Australia now?

Klocker

only thing gonna make or break this game is if the online catches on.

Anyone remember form the beta, did it have matchmaking? or lame ass lobbies where I need to wait for some asshat to finish his smoke and let the dog out to start the game? :lol

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Matchmaking.

Most of the time you would join an in progress race and would have to wait for it to finish which sorta sucked.

There's some folk online with promos. I've played both the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions for a good day both at the same time switching channels and there's NO difference between the games, that's some brilliant work from Bizarre.

The game is pretty damn good, especially the audio design and music is superb, but that's Liverpool for you.

There weren't too many people online yet, but as in the beta, winning is tough, once you get the lead you can hold on to it rather well, but that's still better imo than artificially fucking things up for you like in Modnation Racers.

Blur takes a while to get going. The powerslides are a bit rubbish, but once you get your hands on A-class cars, the handling and powerslides are miles better than in the crappier cars and then the game really starts coming alive.

RiotPelaaja said:
Blur takes a while to get going. The powerslides are a bit rubbish, but once you get your hands on A-class cars, the handling and powerslides are miles better than in the crappier cars and then the game really starts coming alive.

Good to hear. That's one of the two things I need to be certain of in a racing game - the drift and the speed. So damn keen for this vehicular mayhem. And even better to hear there is performance parity between the two versions! Great stuff!

IGN review says menus aren't cool and music is repetitive.

The menus are smooth to navigate, the design is clean and effective.

You can switch between licensed music or music made for the game, which is a bit more movie like. The tunes are banging ( (Ninja Tune, Jacknife Lee, Crystal Method) and the sound design is superb when playing with surround sound. I've played Blur, Modnation Racers and Split/Second a lto and the audio design in Blur kills both the other games, easily.

RiotPelaaja said:
IGN review says menus aren't cool and music is repetitive.

The menus are smooth to navigate, the design is clean and effective.

You can switch between licensed music or music made for the game, which is a bit more movie like. The tunes are banging ( (Ninja Tune, Jacknife Lee, Crystal Method) and the sound design is superb when playing with surround sound. I've played Blur, Modnation Racers and Split/Second a lto and the audio design in Blur kills both the other games, easily.

Hype me more, damnit! What else is killer about BLUR?

Well the game is really tough, this seems to be Bizarre's achilles heel, the fucking difficulty level is all over the place, but at least you can go back to the earlier Career races with a better choice of cars and then have a better shot at getting into the top 3.

The "social media" stuff is pretty good...Twitter/Facebook link allows posting of screenshots and also your scores, challenges etc, which is pretty cool.

RiotPelaaja said:
Well the game is really tough, this seems to be Bizarre's achilles heel, the fucking difficulty level is all over the place, but at least you can go back to the earlier Career races with a better choice of cars and then have a better shot at getting into the top 3.

The "social media" stuff is pretty good...Twitter/Facebook link allows posting of screenshots and also your scores, challenges etc, which is pretty cool.

How does the difficulty compare to Split/Second and Motorstorm? I could live with S/S difficulty but if it's like Motorstorm I'm going to bail out.

Top Bottom