• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blur |OT|

JambiBum

I can't decide if I want to buy this or not. I played the hell out of the demo. Got up to around the top 100 for a while. Only thing is that I can't decide if Blur will hold my interest long enough to warrant a purchase.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Aklamarth said:
Here's what the Eurogamer review says about Blur's graphics : "Speaking of which, Blur is a bit visually impaired next to last week's Split/Second. At times the environments look unfinished, as though lighting effects have still to be added, and the game's appearance isn't always helped by its dusk-to-dawn obsession with neon, which means tracks take a bit longer to stand out from one another. But it is still attractive."

SS has a lot of things right in the graphics department : detailed graphics, great art direction, nice animations and the track changes were great. First time someone implemented animations of that scale in a racing game.

I don't care what Eurogamer says. The graphics are still great and I find the art direction and track design to be better in Blur.

Dandy J

Opus Angelorum said:
Spilt/Second:

- Has more refinement (simple concept, executed precisely)
S/S is a lot of things, but it's definitely not refined. Blur however, is pretty refined and balanced in its design.

mescalineeyes said:
Blur is a game that has a coherent vision in both gameplay and art, while Split/Second is a dumb one-trick-pony that no actual person has played before it came out.
Yeah, pretty much.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
JambiBum said:
I can't decide if I want to buy this or not. I played the hell out of the demo. Got up to around the top 100 for a while. Only thing is that I can't decide if Blur will hold my interest long enough to warrant a purchase.
I feel the same way. I was hoping Split/Second would have turned out to have a more fleshed out multiplayer, and Blur's ability to keep people interested with its CoD ranking system is yet untested.

My beef with the early stages of the beta were similiar to a lot of GAFers... that after the first turn, whoever made it out alive (usually those who randomly scored a shield) would take off into their own private battle for 1st and 2nd, while the rest of the herd took turns taking shots at each other, effectively keeping anyone from the herd from possibly catching up.

Later in the demo, this seemed to be fixed by randomizing which power-up were in certain places, and putting random single power-ups in semi-hard places to reach. While in hours of gameplay I never really had any huge comebacks, once those changes were made, I was able to have those comebacks. Didnt happen all the time, but enough were if I played well and raced well, it was possible.

I have this arriving at my apartment today, can not wait! :D

DenogginizerOS

mescalineeyes said:
no power-ups are randomized, ever.
Does this mean that the same powerups are located on the same parts of a track every time? This sounds a bit like people racing to get the rocket launcher or sniper rifle in Halo.

Pete Rock

Isn't "a fun, pick-up-and-play combat racer" the definition of "...the type of experience you pop in for a few minutes with your friends when you're looking for a break between sessions of a game you really like marathoning."?

TwiztidElf said:
Doesn't sound like he was making obvious strategic weapon choices like Shunt, Sheild, RedShell, GreenShells, or using them properly, when leading.
Pretty much, things change significantly between overtaking a pack and keeping it that way. To me I like the sound of the campaign being just as insane as multiplayer, because I could have seen them toning certain things down to keep it more simple, which would be a disservice to the players when they went online.

My major beef is that there is no grace period on the power ups. I had this in the 20 man races in the beta. You'd get hit by a shunt, then a forward mine, then bolted up the arse while you spin out and to top it off you'd be wrecked by some twat driving past who hits you with a barge.
I can never really bring myself to do much but laugh whenever things go that bad for me, I really enjoy the give and take in the game. Even when I get spun out, barged by everyone passing by and then wrecked you get respawned with speed and it really doesn't feel all that terrible. I think it might be kind of screwy for balance if they gave you a period of invincibility frames after taking a hit from any given powerup. If you don't drop from 1st to 15th at some point, how can you have the awesome comeback in the last lap? :D

Mainly wouldn't be interested in this game at all but the beta was great, and the fact that Bizarre is going to be watching the data with the potential to shuffle powerups and add extra playlists is what really sells me on the game. Which is surprising, considering all of their marketing was trying doing the opposite.

On Random Powerups: they've said they are going to implement a playlist where all powerups are truly [?] random boxes, as well as a playlist with alternate shuffled layouts for each level. Don't know when that will be, but it's what I'm looking forward to most, after everyone learns all the maps it's the same lines and the same "nitro-blindness" in the lead position which gets about as stale as any other racing game.

When S/S hit and the lobbies were unrestricted it was pretty clear they were going to have similar problems as Pure. That game didn't really have a long online burn, a year after it came out you couldn't even reliably get a full lobby outside of one night a week.

DenogginizerOS said:
Does this mean that the same powerups are located on the same parts of a track every time? This sounds a bit like people racing to get the rocket launcher or sniper rifle in Halo.

that's exactly what that means, but since each power-up is used for different reasons you will probably not always go for the same power-up. When you're first, you probably want a barge or a shield to keep you safe, or maybe you will chose the needles over the shunt because your mods make those stronger for you.

so, yes and no?

Pete Rock said:
On Random Powerups: they've said they are going to implement a playlist where all powerups are truly [?] random boxes, as well as a playlist with alternate shuffled layouts for each level. Don't know when that will be, but it's what I'm looking forward to most, after everyone learns all the maps it's the same lines and the same "nitro-blindness" in the lead position which gets about as stale as any other racing game.

you can randomize power-ups in custom races, not sure if they are represented by question marks though as I am just now learning the track layouts, innit.

Um, while not random-random, where the box was quickly alternating between powerups, but on tracks where you had a line of 5 of them, yes, I was entering public matches in the beta, where those changed from race to race. Not during the race, but once you raced again, they had changed.

This absolutely was the case.

TheApatheticOne said:
Um, while not random-random, where the box was quickly alternating between powerups, but on tracks where you had a line of 5 of them, yes, I was entering public matches in the beta, where those changed from race to race. Not during the race, but once you raced again, they had changed.

This absolutely was the case.

it's not anymore. at least not in my experience.

Pete Rock

mescalineeyes said:
you can randomize power-ups in custom races, not sure if they are represented by question marks though as I am just now learning the track layouts, innit.
Right, I was just speaking in terms of what they've told us about matchmaking on their forums. I wasn't really sold on the game until they tested the shuffling, and I went over to their boards to verify I wasn't hallucinating, and it was in flames from guys who "raced on Barcelona 1000 times and never lost" and were "canceling their preorder b/c the goddamn powerups moved". Which I of course found hilarious, because seeing all those rank capped 15s have to think on their feet and eat wall every other turn was sooo satisfying. So they said that both shuffling and random would be their own playlists at a later date, as well as the most "popular" community made custom gametype, whatever that entails.

I'd really prefer to play with multiple layouts per track in matchmaking, but a lot of the rote memorization will be harder to hammer every time when we have 30 tracks to deal with rather than 4 from the beta, so I'm not overly concerned.

RiotPelaaja said:
Read the earlier posts. There's zero difference between the versions, I've played both.

With all due respect, no offense and all that, but there were people claiming the same thing about RDR. I am kinda looking for a pixel-counting type deal here.

Pete Rock said:
So they said that both shuffling and random would be their own playlists at a later date, as well as the most "popular" community made custom gametype, whatever that entails.

That's all I'll play once available. I dont know if I'd care for random as its nice to turn a corner and take a quick scan of what you need and where it is. But shuffling I thought made the races fantastic. It completely neutered the racers who automatically knew going into the race what the perfect "line" was and evened the field a bit. Such a small thing, but I swear in the final days of the beta I had some absolutely epic races, which did not really happen prior to that.

Goron2000

best junior ever
mescalineeyes said:
With all due respect, no offense and all that, but there were people claiming the same thing about RDR. I am kinda looking for a pixel-counting type deal here.

Why?

Goron2000 said:

I am just going to ignore your question and refer to your Die Antwoord avatar while listening to Beat Boy on repeat for the rest of the evening.

(I want to trade my 360 copy in for the ps3 version as all my friends are going to get it for that console)

Chorazin

mescalineeyes said:
I am just going to ignore your question and refer to your Die Antwoord avatar while listening to Beat Boy on repeat for the rest of the evening.

(I want to trade my 360 copy in for the ps3 version as all my friends are going to get it for that console)

Then do it? Any technical differences aren't going to matter for shit if you want to play with friends on PS3 but can't because you have it on 360.

EDIT: My 360 copy is out for delivery, WOOHOO!

Fladam

I was able to beat Split Second in a weekend. It is intensely gratifying the first few times you play through each track. Learning how to master the power plays is vital. Once you do that, though, the game loses its luster.

Blur has mounds and mounds of additional "achievements" to lengthen the single-player campaign. Between fan targets, one-on-one goals, fan combos, lights, etc, etc... it's all a little sloppy and incoherent... but it kinda works. There is enough variety in the power-ups to keep the races interesting.

I can see myself putting Split Second in for a few runs to showoff the impressive graphics, or to give first-time-viewers a thrill. Also, S/S's online pales in comparison. I'll definitely get more overall game time with Blur.

Chorazin said:
Then do it? Any technical differences aren't going to matter for shit if you want to play with friends on PS3 but can't because you have it on 360.

except that it will drive me insane and haunt my dreams forever. Might just have to double dip for the first time in my life.

Chorazin

mescalineeyes said:
except that it will drive me insane and haunt my dreams forever. Might just have to double dip for the first time in my life.

....wow. Just get the one your friends play and have a great time with them.

I double dipped on SSFIV and will again on BlazBlue: Continuum Shift because all my IRL friends play on PS3 and 'net friends on 360. :(

mescalineeyes said:

It really is the same game on both, I cant see no difference. With the problem of the PS3 version (I got retail) freezing everytime I try to play online. Really hope this is prelaunch server problems and nothing else. The few races I played on PS3 last night worked great, then the freezing started.

Klocker

user_nat said:
Matchmaking.

Most of the time you would join an in progress race and would have to wait for it to finish which sorta sucked.

yea I remember that now... tried the beta for a few races

Sysgen

Picked up the PC Version. Kudos to the "The Good The Bad and The Ugly" intro. Game seamlessly updated after prompting. Also plays nice with Comodo the Firewall/Defense dialog.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Mine just got here today via Amazon (20 bucks off from Galaxy 2 credit, ha!) and:

OMFG. I missed the beta so am going into this cold. I had faith in Bizarre (have played every PGR) but this is one of the most feature-rich and refined experiences I've ever had.

The racing is also inexpressibly dramatic and dynamic; it's like the team had a copy of Burnout Revenge nailed to a target on a wall with a large knife and a note written in human blood which read "BURNOUT MUST DIE."

I can see how the motif might turn some people off visually; it's dusky and dim in order to make the neon stand out. However anyone knocking the technical quality of this game needs their head checked: 20 players, with particle effects, explosions, and weapons on the track? And it is locked at 30fps? Even tried split screen locally, and it ran flawlessly with CPU cars on the track (10 cars for 2 way splitscreen. Dunno how it runs with 8 cars in 4 way.)

The friends leaderboard and challenge system is also the kind of sophistication I've been waiting for for the last five years with Xbox Live.

And about a million other details I've noticed in just the first few hours. Goddamn.

So, this is what happens when Bizarre is not pushed to rush their games out the door, and are allowed to bake them in the oven for another six months. Fuck.

ruxtpin

Banned
I'm considering picking this one up based on developer name alone. I've had a love affair with Bizarre since MSR on the Dreamcast. And PGR3 spent so much time in my 360 it's not even funny. =D

Sysgen

Only played a couple of races and one destruction event. Interface is polished. Feels like a Bizarre game. When you reenter the game it says "Last on Blur" and details your recent accomplishments. Game seamlessly updates without exiting and cleans up once you do. I7-920/4890 not o'c 1680X1050/16AF averaging: 8AA / 30FPS, 2AA 40FPS. This is just from a quick look and only on one track (airfield) plus I'm running a lot of background processes. Frame rate using FRAPS is all over the place depending on whats going on. I can get to 60 fps by turning AA and AF off but that's not an average. Graphics aren't great but I guess the with 20 cars this was their target and frankly I rather have more cars than great visuals. Only 2 views 3rd and 1st person, no in car view, no hood cam etc. Doesn't bother me, usually play in 1st person but from what I've seen better off playing in 3rd. Haven't tried m/p yet. Failing a fan challenge (running through gates) because you are getting pounded is irritating. So far I like the game. Got it at BB with a R/Z cert for $25.

DenogginizerOS

Sysgen said:
Only played a couple of races and one destruction event. Interface is polished. Feels like a Bizarre game. When you reenter the game it says "Last on Blur" and details your recent accomplishments. Game seamlessly updates without exiting and cleans up once you do. I7-920/4890 not o'c 1680X1050/16AF averaging: 8AA / 30FPS, 2AA 40FPS. This is just from a quick look and only on one track (airfield). Frame rate using FRAPS is all over the place depending on whats going on. I can get to 60 fps by turning AA and AF off but that's not an average. Graphics aren't great but I guess the with 20 cars this was their target and frankly I rather have more cars than great visuals. Only 2 views 3rd and 1st person, no in car view, no hood cam etc. Doesn't bother me, usually play in 1st person but from what I've seen better off playing in 3rd. Haven't tried m/p yet. Failing a fan challenge (running through gates) because you are getting pounded is irritating. So far I like the game. Got it at BB with a R/Z cert for $25.

Thanks for the impressions. I have $15 in R/Z certificates as well. May jump on the PC version if it takes off. Did you use the X360 controller to play?

Decado

Disappointed to hear that the single player isn't very strong. Will probably pass or wait for a big price drop.

Want a proper Burnout more than ever, now. ;__;

I hope we're getting a new Motorstorm this fall. Only arcade racing franchise worth a damn this gen, IMO (unless you consider GRID to be arcade racing, that is).

lawblob said:
Anyone got impressions they'd like to share?
It's awesome. Playing this and split second at the moment - and this is by far the better game. I actually think the environments work really well, I wasn't expecting a lot from the game...but I'm really, REALLY happy with it.

Sysgen

DenogginizerOS said:
Thanks for the impressions. I have $15 in R/Z certificates as well. May jump on the PC version if it takes off. Did you use the X360 controller to play?

360 controller works flawless. Pick from 3 predefined setups. Now people complain when developers do not remove the controller icons from the pc interface. Here they did but I rather have the icons.

BTW: No AF option, I had to force it. AA options /Off/2/4/8.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Sysgen said:
Only played a couple of races and one destruction event. Interface is polished. Feels like a Bizarre game. When you reenter the game it says "Last on Blur" and details your recent accomplishments. Game seamlessly updates without exiting and cleans up once you do. I7-920/4890 not o'c 1680X1050/16AF averaging: 8AA / 30FPS, 2AA 40FPS. This is just from a quick look and only on one track (airfield) plus I'm running a lot of background processes. Frame rate using FRAPS is all over the place depending on whats going on. I can get to 60 fps by turning AA and AF off but that's not an average. Graphics aren't great but I guess the with 20 cars this was their target and frankly I rather have more cars than great visuals. Only 2 views 3rd and 1st person, no in car view, no hood cam etc. Doesn't bother me, usually play in 1st person but from what I've seen better off playing in 3rd. Haven't tried m/p yet. Failing a fan challenge (running through gates) because you are getting pounded is irritating. So far I like the game. Got it at BB with a R/Z cert for $25.
No 30fps cap, thank goodness. Is it DX9 only or does it support DX10?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Sysgen said:
360 controller works flawless. Pick from 3 predefined setups. Now people complain when developers do not remove the controller icons from the pc interface. Here they did but I rather have the icons.

BTW: No AF option, I had to force it. AA options /Off/2/4/8.
So there are no 360 icons when using a pad? :\ Why not dynamically switch between the two? That seems to be the best solution.

Sysgen

dark10x said:
So there are no 360 icons when using a pad? :\ Why not dynamically switch between the two? That seems to be the best solution.

In game there are no icons (like Split Second) so it really doesn't matter. A is enter, B is cancel so that's all you need. On the PC interface you have SHIFT/CTRL/PGUP/PGDN keys for other functions like leader boards.

DenogginizerOS

Sysgen said:
In game there are no icons (like Split Second) so it really doesn't matter. A is enter, B is cancel so that's all you need. On the PC interface you have SHIFT/CTRL/PGUP/PGDN keys for other functions like leader boards.
Does the retail version have Steam built into it?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Sysgen said:
Meh, it works, but it really does cheapen the product.

When other console-centric companies like Capcom have no problems implementing this, it is definitely disappointing when it is omitted. RE5, for instance, switches on the fly between 360 buttons and keyboard/mouse buttons depending on which input method you use (and it changes just by pressing a button on any device).

Really enjoying the online portion. I didn't pre-order the game at Gamestop, but they gave me the bonus anyways and I keep getting an error that says this code is invalid (360). Anyone else get that?

Sysgen

Just ran my 1st checkpoint race and it was awesome. PGR / Burnout / Mario Kart all rolled into one.

Blur2010-05-2516-13-31-14.jpg

Top Bottom