• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BO Wkd 06•16-18•17 - Queen is dethroned, all hail McQueen, ScarJo roughed up

The Conjuring Universe is best horror franchise.

Universal Monster Cinematic Universe wishes it could have this kind of success.

They spun off a doll into a franchise but Tom Cruise couldn't jumpstart the UMCU after the Dracula misfire with Luke Evans a few years back.

Plenty of bad movies got killed at the BO last year. TMNT 2, Independence Day 2, Alice 2, X-men Apocalypse, Jason Bourne, Jack Reacher 2, etc. all did far worse than just about anyone predicted.

So far, I'd say the story of the last two summers (and to some extent, 2015 as well) has been these sequels and would-be franchises taking a dive.

I'm sorry, but Jack Reacher does not belong in that list. I've watched it recently, and it desperately needed McQuarry's input but didn't get it, but it's a fine 90s-era Clancy-style thriller. It's one of those late night thrillers that you put on, watch very casually, and when the credits roll you go 'alright' and go to bed. Like Law & Order basically.

It's neither offensive (and goes out of its way to make the co-actress into 'strong female archetype' with about 50-50 success), nor particularly great, but it's really quite alright for what it does.

It does not belong on the shit-list, is all I'm saying. Can't speak for the theathrical experience, but that's what the home version is like. It has very mild problems, except for when it decides to frame in the flashing lights from a military police car and that is distracting as fuck because those things are bright and flashy. The other part is that it lacks the violent dark edge the first movie (directed by McQuarrie) had and the story is okay but not particularly engaging beyond its pulp thriller origins.
But the closest movie series to it would be the Alec Baldwin or Harrison Ford John Clancy movies, like Clear And Present Danger, and so on.

Perhaps it's a movie out of time, more than calling it 'bad'. Because it really isn't.

edit: also, I'd say TNMT2 wasn't deeply terrible, just edited for speed to not be 'another Bay movie' but as result lost the sense of spectacle a bit. I appreciated the effort, but I also would never call it 'must see' either.
Either way, that movie has actual sensible editing in it, something that BvS, ID4-2 (IDR), and SS were all missing. I don't feel comfortable calling movies bad when they are mostly just failing to be surprising or interesting. Being boring is not a crime against cinema. Unhuman editing however, is.

I'm not going to get bogged down with arguing about the individual opinions of movies on that list. Jack Reacher 2 had a 37% RT score compared to the first's 62%, 42% audience compared to 67%, had poor legs for the genre, and ended up grossing 28% less than JR1.

The general consensus is that it was a big step down from the first. It absolutely does belong on a list of film who not only got a poor audience reception, but saw their box office grosses drop significantly from predecessors.

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/box-office-transformers-the-last-knight-2-1202474986/
The first day gross, which includes the previews, was estimated in the $14 million to $15 million range, which projects to a range of $60 million to $62 million for the Wednesday-Sunday period.

Though it's really not all that uncommon historically for franchises to see box office grosses get halved in the 4th or 5th installment, it is kind of surreal to see it happening here. I'd have a hard time seeing TF5 hitting even $120M domestically if the 5-day total is $60M.

Schlorgan

Went and saw Cars 3 with my wife and her family for her birthday. I enjoyed it. Way better than I expected.

4879811.jpg
I was laughing during IDR; I was shocked at how terrible it was.

BvS was just a miserable slog.

Transformers has been a pop culture punching bag for over a decade now. Memes about being critic-proof be damned, those chickens have to roost someday.

I'm not going to get bogged down with arguing about the individual opinions of movies on that list. Jack Reacher 2 had a 37% RT score compared to the first's 62%, 42% audience compared to 67%, had poor legs for the genre, and ended up grossing 28% less than JR1.

The general consensus is that it was a big step down from the first. It absolutely does belong on a list of film who not only got a poor audience reception, but saw their box office grosses drop significantly from predecessors.

Ah, I thought 'bad' was your judgment, not in the eyes of RT. You did not specify that distinction.

Ah, I thought 'bad' was your judgment, not in the eyes of RT. You did not specify that distinction.
No worries. Whenever I post about the quality of movies in these threads, I am talking about what I believe is the audience consensus, since my own opinion has essentially no merit on the box office. Heh.

Sorry if my post came off as snarky.

kswiston

The $220M Transformers 5 will be battling the $9M Split in the 2017 domestic box office ranking.

Who would have guessed :p

EDIT: Hell, Transformers 5 will be fighting to beat out Ghostbusters' domestic run last year.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
The $220M Transformers 5 will be battling the $9M Split in the 2017 domestic box office ranking.

EDIT: Hell, Transformers 5 will be fighting to beat out Ghostbusters' domestic run last year.

Holy hell.

Paramount is probably looking into whether they can ban critics from even seeing their movies.

I remember there being serious discussion around Into Darkness about their stopping the practice of press screenings.

They obviously decided to let them happen, but I distinctly remember that being a thing that almost happened around that time.

Jawmuncher

Transformers needs a break and a reboot.
Hasbro and Paramount need to chill and bring it back into that Hasbro Universe they have coming up. So we can have Gi joe vs Transformers

jackdoe

I remember there being serious discussion around Into Darkness about their stopping the practice of press screenings.

They obviously decided to let them happen, but I distinctly remember that being a thing that almost happened around that time.
That's weird. Into Darkness was very well reviewed.

gamz

I'd love to know Night's take home on that movie. Has to be a fortune.

Schlorgan

Paramount is really lucky that Viacom is as healthy as it is overall.

Wouldn't be surprised to see some executive shakeups though, if it hasn't already happened.

so... even sub-750 then? Like, even just 500-600-ish? (and that's assuming lack of a spectacular drop). That would mean the end for these things for a while, I'd think.

Also, as previously mentioned if the reviews were bad: we now have "cathartic" BO and RT threads.

carlsojo

The Conjuring Universe is best horror franchise.

If you had told me the Conjuring was going to inspire a bunch of random fucking spinoffs MUCH LESS A WHOLE CINEMATIC UNIVERSE when the movie came out I would have laughed. I would have laughed so hard.

I'm excited. Shared universes have just barely scratched the surface of their potential.

If you had told me the Conjuring was going to inspire a bunch of random fucking spinoffs MUCH LESS A WHOLE CINEMATIC UNIVERSE when the movie came out I would have laughed. I would have laughed so hard.

I'm excited. Shared universes have just barely scratched the surface of their potential.

Kinda funny that they legitimately just stumbled into it compared to the Dark Universe.
Ending up being a perfect starting spot.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
Transformers needs a break and a reboot.
Hasbro and Paramount need to chill and bring it back into that Hasbro Universe they have coming up. So we can have Gi joe vs Transformers

I'm normally not into rebooting stuff, but Transformers does seem like an obvious and probably good thing to be rebooted. The series is just awful and there's no reason for it continue on as is.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action

same! i love the idea of cinematic universes and i hope studios figure out how to organically and smartly create more

BumRush

Just got back from Wonder Woman.

I just wanted to say that as a father of two baby girls, I'm thrilled that this movie - with a female lead and a female director (that happens to be a damn fine movie) - is doing so well both critically and commercially.

As for the movie itself...it is cohesive, well written / directed and (for the most part) acted. Most of all, it's something no DCEU film has been to date...fun.

Gal blew away my expectations and - after seeing the film - I can't really imagine anyone else playing Diana. I loved how Diana is probably the most scantily clad female superhero yet not one shot in the movie felt exploitative. There was humor, emotional impact and the action was excellent.

My wife and I both had some issues with the film but none of them detracted from the movie as a whole or soured our opinion on the film.

Overall, it was easily the best DCEU film to date and its in my top 10 comic book films ever.

Can't wait to see it again.

That's weird. Into Darkness was very well reviewed.

If I remember right, it wasn't that they were worried about bad reviews. They were going to put out a movie they knew would be critically praised without running it past critics as basically "we don't really need you, and this whole practice is really more or less a bullshit holdover from the old days"

Ross61

Both Conjuring movies are so damn good, honestly think the focus on the characters is what makes it work so well.
Like I absolutely loved the scene with the dude singing Elvis to the family.

Anabelle was their first critical misstep and it still was massively successful. Now there using budding horror directors for the spinoffs and it just such a great idea.

Yeesh that's a very very poor start domesticly for Transformers. I think we all knew it would be down but this is looking even lower than I thought it would be

I'd love to know Night's take home on that movie. Has to be a fortune.

Don't forget M.Night also released The Visit which he also self financed like Split which did $98 million off of a $5 million budget.

Safe to say between just his last 2 films alone Night has made some BANK. Frankly I'm glad to see this comeback from him. He's made some terrible movies but some I've really loved too. To this day Unbreakable is one of my favorite super hero movies ever

Anth0ny

Just got back from Wonder Woman.

I just wanted to say that as a father of two baby girls, I'm thrilled that this movie - with a female lead and a female director (that happens to be a damn fine movie) - is doing so well both critically and commercially.

As for the movie itself...it is cohesive, well written / directed and (for the most part) acted. Most of all, it's something no DCEU film has been to date...fun.

Gal blew away my expectations and - after seeing the film - I can't really imagine anyone else playing Diana. I loved how Diana is probably the most scantily clad female superhero yet not one shot in the movie felt exploitative. There was humor, emotional impact and the action was excellent.

My wife and I both had some issues with the film but none of them detracted from the movie as a whole or soured our opinion on the film.

Overall, it was easily the best DCEU film to date and its in my top 10 comic book films ever.

Can't wait to see it again.

Glad you enjoyed it, your thoughts mirror mine!

Except I don't have kids. I just like good superhero movies!

ZeoVGM

Banned
I still feel like international will save Transformers but I can only hope that this pushes them to put their spinoff/universe/whatever plans on hold and just go for a full reboot in a few years.

Dysun

I had a small amount of good will from the Shia-era Transformers movies, but Age of Extinction snuffed that out. Glad to see people aren't still lapping it up

Anth0ny

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/box-office-transformers-the-last-knight-2-1202474986/

Though it's really not all that uncommon historically for franchises to see box office grosses get halved in the 4th or 5th installment, it is kind of surreal to see it happening here. I'd have a hard time seeing TF5 hitting even $120M domestically if the 5-day total is $60M.

yessssssssssssssssssssss

please china. do the right thing. kill this fucking shit franchise once and for all.

Following up on an earlier discussion in the thread, TF5 is currently sitting at 16% on RT, only 1 point above The Mummy. It will likely finish below it in the end, but even if it doesn't, TF5 has almost certainly won the race for worse average rating of the summer: 3.3/10 for all reviews, and 2.9/10 for top critics.

Top Bottom