• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BO Wkd 06•16-18•17 - Queen is dethroned, all hail McQueen, ScarJo roughed up

GhaleonEB

Just got back from Wonder Woman.

I just wanted to say that as a father of two baby girls, I'm thrilled that this movie - with a female lead and a female director (that happens to be a damn fine movie) - is doing so well both critically and commercially.

As for the movie itself...it is cohesive, well written / directed and (for the most part) acted. Most of all, it's something no DCEU film has been to date...fun.

Gal blew away my expectations and - after seeing the film - I can't really imagine anyone else playing Diana. I loved how Diana is probably the most scantily clad female superhero yet not one shot in the movie felt exploitative. There was humor, emotional impact and the action was excellent.

My wife and I both had some issues with the film but none of them detracted from the movie as a whole or soured our opinion on the film.

Overall, it was easily the best DCEU film to date and its in my top 10 comic book films ever.

Can't wait to see it again.

Yup. Father of two girls here as well, and this really, really mattered.

3N16MA

Banned
Just got back from Wonder Woman.

I just wanted to say that as a father of two baby girls, I'm thrilled that this movie - with a female lead and a female director (that happens to be a damn fine movie) - is doing so well both critically and commercially.

As for the movie itself...it is cohesive, well written / directed and (for the most part) acted. Most of all, it's something no DCEU film has been to date...fun.

Gal blew away my expectations and - after seeing the film - I can't really imagine anyone else playing Diana. I loved how Diana is probably the most scantily clad female superhero yet not one shot in the movie felt exploitative. There was humor, emotional impact and the action was excellent.

My wife and I both had some issues with the film but none of them detracted from the movie as a whole or soured our opinion on the film.

Overall, it was easily the best DCEU film to date and its in my top 10 comic book films ever.

Can't wait to see it again.

My niece is heavily into Wonder Woman and the whole DC Super Hero girls theme. Glad that there is a great WW film out there for her to see in the future.

Did you see IDR?

Oh boy is that movie bad.
I remember being stunned at how bad this visual effect was

u1KLy4A.gif

It looks like a windows screen saver.

I don't think I have watched Mimic since it first released on VHS when I was back in college. Might need to revisit it. I remember having fun with it.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Glad you enjoyed it Bum. I share most of your thoughts on the actual movie and the cultural significance it has had.

Impressions from critics for Planet of the Apes are coming in on twitter and it's being called best-of-the-year material.

It is known. Not to delve into specifics, it's not unlike Logan earlier this year in having western sensibilities, if that makes sense.

Guy makes 2/3rd of, sure to be, one of the best blockbuster trilogy yet Matt Reeves keeps getting asked about Batman on the press tour.

It's wild when you think about what this current Planet of the Apes trilogy is. A pseudo-reboot-prequel to a series from 1968, ultimately focused on telling the story of Caesar, a CGI monkey, rather than any of the human character.

Wow what awful OD for t5 went wayy below my expectations I guess Wondy eating into it's gross. I'm thinking disappointing Intl numbers right now

Wow what awful OD for t5 went wayy below my expectations I guess Wondy eating into it's gross. I'm thinking disappointing Intl numbers right now

As usual, only coming in here about DC stuff. Maybe, just maybe, the fact that TF5 seems to be a shitty, horrible film is eating into its grosses more than anything.

DeathyBoy

Banned
I would say you were full of it.

I would almost believe you if you said the mimic sequels

The Mimic sequal that was basically a remake of Rear Widow, was actually pretty cool

I was in America a month or so go ago and there was a Universal Soldier film on TV. It had an extended eight minute, seemingly one take action sequence that spread through seven different rooms. Fucking stunning

Well shit, I was expecting a drop for T5 but not one that big. Looks like I massively overpredicted its US total. Come on China, you're my only hope.

And I'm very pleased by these tweets about Apes. I still can't believe that those films are somehow the best blockbusters being made right now.

kswiston

Transformers is having drops randing from 40-65% in local currency in most overseas territories we have first day figures for.

I think that all of us predicted too high. There's a decent chance Wonder Woman beats T5 worldwide unless things stabilize or China plays way stronger than presales suggest.

Transformers is having drops randing from 40-65% in local currency in most overseas territories we have first day figures for.

I think that all of us predicted too high. There's a decent chance Wonder Woman beats T5 worldwide unless things stabilize or China plays way stronger than presales suggest.

wwswirld23uke.gif

I was in America a month or so go ago and there was a Universal Soldier film on TV. It had an extended eight minute, seemingly one take action sequence that spread through seven different rooms. Fucking stunning

The DTV action movies have some surprising stuff in them, mostly (I think) because they let the directors play around a lot more than they'd normally be able to, since the audience is built in.

Like in Hard Target 2, there's a lot of really striking shots in it, and the character intro for all of the main players is one long roaming take, all dialogue, no action stuff

kmfdmpig

TF5 earning that low would be a problem due to the trajectory. Amazing Spider Man 2 (a dreadful film) made slightly less than Amazing Spider Man 1 (a bad film), which led to Sony throwing in the towel even though both should have made a profit in theaters.

kmfdmpig

Why would it be a problem?´ In the worst case, Bay is fired and they really want to do better stuff with the next one.

Once a series is perceived to be going down the drain it's hard to reverse that trend. Spider-Man getting a reboot after 2 movies was not the plan, but for a studio the goal is to have audiences excited about upcoming movies and the combination of bad word of mouth and declining audiences means that upcoming movies are less likely to be successful. Batman and Robin is an extreme example, but the decline in the series' perception among audiences was so bad that it killed the franchise for 8 years. If they make a TF6 it will have to overcome the bad memory/reputation of 5. If TF5 makes ~650 million (about 55% of what TF3 and TF4 made) then I think it's more likely that the reboot the series than continue on with TF6.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Once a series is perceived to be going down the drain it's hard to reverse that trend. Spider-Man getting a reboot after 2 movies was not the plan, but for a studio the goal is to have audiences excited about upcoming movies and the combination of bad word of mouth and declining audiences means that upcoming movies are less likely to be successful. Batman and Robin is an extreme example, but the decline in the series' perception among audiences was so bad that it killed the franchise for 8 years. If they make a TF6 it will have to overcome the bad memory/reputation of 5. If TF5 makes ~650 million (about 55% of what TF3 and TF4 made) then I think it's more likely that the reboot the series than continue on with TF6.

And why would that be bad? Transformers is already perceived as bad, it wont change much. In all seriousness, I dont see the issue.

kmfdmpig

And why would that be bad? Transformers is already perceived as bad, it wont change much. In all seriousness, I dont see the issue.

It's not bad for me. I didn't watch 3 or 4 and didn't like 1 or 2. I genuinely don't care if they ever make another TF movie. I'm saying it would be a problem for the studio as it would prefer to continue churning out 1.1 billion dollar earners rather than make about half that and have the uncertainty of rebooting a franchise perceived to be on the decline.

Schlorgan

Off-topic, but what are Lego Batman's chances for Best Animated Picture at the Oscars?

Unless Coco is Inside Out-tier, does it really have any competition?

Top Bottom