• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BO Wkd 06•16-18•17 - Queen is dethroned, all hail McQueen, ScarJo roughed up

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
My curiosity with Transformers' success begins and ends with the role its profit may play in future Star Trek films. An odd statement, no doubt, so I'll explain.

Paramount isn't doing too well. Paramount hasn't been doing too well for a while. There's a new CEO in town, and it was pleasant to see him publicly name-drop Trek shortly after taking over. We nerdy Enterprise diehards were -- and rightfully still are -- worried over the health of the Abrams-launched Star Trek movies after Beyond performed below expectations last year. It's especially irksome because Beyond was actually pretty cool.

So in walks Transformers. It prints money. Apologies, duckroll, but personally I got dragged to the first one in 2007 and ducked out from there; I didn't even like that one. But regardless of my thoughts on the franchise, it's made serious bank for Paramount, and Paramount has been in sore need of serious bank. Far less bank seems to be on the horizon than anticipated. That's going to influence the studio's operating revenue, and in turn, its creative decisions.

I guess I was hoping it'd do a bit better just for the sake of Jim Gianopulos looking solid and counting more coffers and potentially increasing the chances of me seeing Chris Pine and Zachary Quinto out there on at least one more adventure.

Maybe I'm way off-base though and this doesn't change the likelihood of a Star Trek 4 at all. In which case...

¯_(ツ)_/¯

AndyVirus

We'll finally get the F&F/Transformers crossover we deserve with Transformers: The Fast Knight. Charlize Theron in a decepticon sub.

FTF

Off-topic, but what are Lego Batman's chances for Best Animated Picture at the Oscars?

Unless Coco is Inside Out-tier, does it really have any competition?

The Lego movie wasn't even nominated, so that should tell us all we need to know about Batman's chances of winning :/

BumRush

The Lego movie wasn't even nominated, so that should tell us all we need to know about Batman's chances of winning :/

I actually liked TLM more than I liked Lego Batman, but I know "Best Animated Film" hasn't always gone to the "Best Animated Film" at past Academy Awards

kswiston

So, in light of Wonder Woman's continuing legs, Transformers 5 looking like yet another big budget miss in the domestic market, and the continuing talk about review scores and box office, I thought that it would be interesting to look at all big budget (>$75M) films released so far in 2017.

I decided to look at Total domestic gross, production budget, RT score and Metacritic scores. I am focusing on the domestic market, because other foreign markets have other priorities in their Hollywood films, and RT/Metacritic reviews have almost zero mindshare in places like China.

I have also put the Marvel/DC superhero stuff in its own group, because we wouldn't want superhero fatigue to drown out any trends. Since a lot of these films are still in theatres, I went ahead and estimated final grosses. Wonder Woman and Cars 3 are the only two that I could see being off by more than $10M from what I have listed below, so these numbers should be pretty close.

2017 Big Budget (>$75M) Releases - No Marvel/DC Superhero films

Code:
[B]TITLE					DOM GROSS ($ MIL)	Budget ($ MIL)	RT Score[/B]	Metacritic
Beauty and the Beast (2017)		505			160		71		65
The Fate of the Furious			227			250		66		56
The Boss Baby				175			125		51		50
Kong: Skull Island			168			185		76		62
Pirates of the Caribbean 5		165			230		29		39
Cars 3					155			175		66		59
Power Rangers (2017)			85			100		46		44
The Mummy (2017)			80			125		15		34
Alien: Covenant				74			97		71		65
The Great Wall				45			150		35		42
xXx: The Return of Xander Cage		45			85		43		42
Ghost in the Shell (2017)		41			110		45		52
King Arthur: Legend of the Sword	39			175		28		41
Monster Trucks				33			125		32		41
The Promise (2017)			8			90		50		49
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
[b]AVERAGE					123			145		48		49[/b]

- Beauty and the Beast bumped up the Domestic Gross average by $25M. Without it, the average big budget (non-superhero) film made $91M on a $144M budget.

2017 Marvel/DC Superhero Film Releases

Code:
[B]TITLE					DOM GROSS ($ MIL)	Budget ($ MIL)	RT Score	[/B]Metacritic
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2		390			200		81		67
Wonder Woman				375			150		92		76
Logan					226			97		93		77
The LEGO Batman Movie			176			80		90		75
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
[B]AVERAGE					292			132		89		74[/B]

- If you want to just look at the live action films, the average gross is around $330M on a $149M budget.

BumRush

- Beauty and the Beast bumped up the Domestic Gross average by $25M. Without it, the average big budget (non-superhero) film made $91M on a $144M budget.
- If you want to just look at the live action films, the average gross is around $330M on a $149M budget.

Amazing analysis as always. Bomb after bomb from big-budget non CBM...

Loving the correlation between highly rated films and box office success this year...

I honestly think Rotten Tomatoes is a "mainstream" thing now.

I hear total movie casuals talk about it now and it's brought up often on the radio / TV when discussing a new movies release.

I'm not saying it's the end all be all by Box Office standard but I do think it's become known well enough to the public that it is having some impact

kswiston

Amazing analysis as always. Bomb after bomb from big-budget non CBM...

Loving the correlation between highly rated films and box office success this year...

Here's the same group of films divided by RT's Fresh/Rotten boundary, instead of superhero/non-superhero. It also matches up with an over/under 55 score on Metacritic.

2017 Big Budget Films Rated "FRESH" on Rotten Tomatoes

Code:
[B]TITLE					DOM GROSS ($ MIL)	Budget ($ MIL)	RT Score	Metacritic[/B]
[B]AVERAGE					255			155		78		67[/B]

2017 Big Budget Films Rated "ROTTEN" on Rotten Tomatoes

Code:
[B]AVERAGE					72			132		37		43[/B]

The Boss Baby and Power Rangers were the only two rotten films (out of 10) to have domestic grosses that exceeded 75% of their production budget. All of the fresh films hit that mark.

kswiston

GotG2 had an excellent domestic run. Some of you just had expectations that were way too high.

Overseas was more on the "just OK" side of things. The first film had exchange rates working in its favor, which makes things look closer than they were in local currencies. I would have to check, but I think the local currency bump for GOTG2 was around 20%. However, the first film was already on the low side of things for an MCU film overseas, so there was definitely more room to grow. I was thinking $500M earlier in the year. We got $470M.

I feel like the RT score is just how the WoM will be, but doesn't directly influence people in most cases.

Idk I think there's a direct correlation that only really started picking up this year.

It's a wide enough thing now that the place I work has a section for movies with a big Rotten Tomatoes sign that says "These films all rated Fresh"

I don't think it's making movies bomb or take off in and of itself but I think it is playing a role currently

Idk I think there's a direct correlation that only really started picking up this year.

It's a wide enough thing now that the place I work has a section for movies with a big Rotten Tomatoes sign that says "These films all rated Fresh"

I don't think it's making movies bomb or take off in and of itself but I think it is playing a role currently
Nah man. I doubt that people care about reviews. Reviews feel also more important in the US. No one cares about it outside is my guess.

Wonder Woman is still weak in Europe and that had great reviews.

Nah man. I doubt that people care about reviews. Reviews feel also more important in the US. No one cares about it outside is my guess.

I think people are starting to care domestically for sure.

I agree about international though. It's pretty clear movie reviews don't mean much in markets like China

BumRush

Here's the same group of films divided by RT's Fresh/Rotten boundary, instead of superhero/non-superhero. It also matches up with an over/under 55 score on Metacritic.

2017 Big Budget Films Rated "FRESH" on Rotten Tomatoes

Code:
[B]AVERAGE					255			155		78		67[/B]

2017 Big Budget Films Rated "ROTTEN" on Rotten Tomatoes

Code:
[B]AVERAGE					72			132		37		43[/B]

The Boss Baby and Power Rangers were the only two rotten films (out of 10) to have domestic grosses that exceeded 75% of their production budget. All of the fresh films hit that mark.

PLEASE make this analysis into a thread.

kswiston

PLEASE make this analysis into a thread.

A few months back, I gathered domestic grosses and budgets for every wide release in 2015 and 2016 (over 260 films in total). I was going to do a followup post with fresh/rotten breakdowns for all $75M+ films since the start of 2015 (about 90 films total). I suppose that I could make it a thread instead. I'm not sure how many people care beyond those in here though.

kmfdmpig

A few months back, I gathered domestic grosses and budgets for every wide release in 2015 and 2016 (over 260 films in total). I was going to do a followup post with fresh/rotten breakdowns for all $75M+ films since the start of 2015 (about 90 films total). I suppose that I could make it a thread instead. I'm not sure how many people care beyond those in here though.
Your analysis is very interesting, and I think it would have appeal beyond those in an individual week's thread.

Your analysis is very interesting, and I think it would have appeal beyond those in an individual week's thread.
Yeah, I think more people would like to see this.

Bobby mentioned it on twitter, but I'm really hoping Lord/Miller get asked to jump on The Flash again.

BumRush

The individual threads have the same 14-15 posters each week, with some people popping in to either shit on a movie or shit on xaos titles. I definitely think there'd be appeal for something like this!

Lego Batman is a shame, really, especially the worldwide numbers. I wonder why that happened and if we'll still get a sequel.

Who knows, but at least Warners liked Chris McKay enough to give him a live action Nightwing.

I think if DCEU continues to do big business we could see a LEGO Justice League.

GotG2 had an excellent domestic run. Some of you just had expectations that were way too high.

Overseas was more on the "just OK" side of things. The first film had exchange rates working in its favor, which makes things look closer than they were in local currencies. I would have to check, but I think the local currency bump for GOTG2 was around 20%. However, the first film was already on the low side of things for an MCU film overseas, so there was definitely more room to grow. I was thinking $500M earlier in the year. We got $470M.

I'll concede my expectations were too high for GOTG2. I felt if there'd be a non-RDJ MCU cracking $1B, that'd be it.

Yeah, I think more people would like to see this.

Bobby mentioned it on twitter, but I'm really hoping Lord/Miller get asked to jump on The Flash again.

Every studio except for Disney must be trying to get them to sign on to one of their franchises right now. And I bet WB is first in line.

Boss baby was also the kind of film that was guaranteed to review badly regardless of quality. My kids dragged me to it and it was honestly a decent movie. Which helps explain why it did better than that score would suggest.

kswiston

$15.6M first day for Transformers domestically. A bit better than the early numbers from last night suggested. Still bad though.

With the official opening day number, it's time to revise the 5-day projections.

Code:
Pre:  $5.5M
Wed:  $10.1M/$15.6M
Thu:  $7.2M         -28.71%/-53.85%
Fri:  $10.9M        +51.39%
Sat   $13.2M        +21.10%
Sun:  $9.9M         -25.00%

3-day: $34.0M
5-day: $56.8M

It's... kind of surreal putting up numbers that low for a TF film, but here we are. It's possible the actual numbers vary pretty wildly, since there's a lot of different factors happening, but I don't see the film getting close to $70M for the 5-day.

So far, no Transformers film has missed a 2.0 multiplier off a 5-day cume, with Revenge of the Fallen coming closest at 2.01. TF5 faces a ton of competition in the following weeks, though, and WOM seems like it may be the weakest of the bunch, so it may end up holding worse than Revenge. If the next few days follow my predictions, I think the domestic total will end be $105-120M.

In other news, Wonder Woman's Wednesday number is $3.85M, down 39% from last week. It seems that, even with TF5 underperforming, it has still taken a bite out of it. Since last weekend had Father's Day, Wonder Woman is very likely looking at a drop around 45%.

edit: Cars 3's Wednesday was $4.3M, off 22% from Cars 2's comparable day. It's looking to have a second weekend in the low 20's.

Not to sound like a broken record, but we (europeans) don't really care as much about superheroes in general, aside from the already cultivated ones (saturday morning cartoons, basically). Wonder Woman never had much (screen) presence until BvS re-introduced her. It was always going to be heavily domestic biased. The other DC movies are also domestic biased, but not quite as much.

In terms of why Marvel isn't domestic biased, I think the Marvel movies are less held back by being 'superhero' movies because they're mostly just action movies first.

GhaleonEB

As kswiss pointed out earlier, TF opening knocked Wonder Woman from being down ~30% down week over week to down ~40%. I'm guessing that with the reception TF is getting, it rebounds a bit over the weekend, though.

Top Bottom