• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BO Wkd 06•16-18•17 - Queen is dethroned, all hail McQueen, ScarJo roughed up

Schlorgan

Del Toro would be the better pick of the two for Transformers. As for Lin, in a short amount of time he achieved what Bay has been trying, and failing, to do for his whole career. The Fast movies now are what a well tuned Bay movie should be like.
I just think of Lin for Transformers because of the cars. A Fast and Furious movie where the cars transform into robots is a movie I need in my life.

kswiston

I wonder if the Fast and Furious series will see itself in the same position as Transformers is now by the time it reaches #10.

Guys, Del Toro is way too good to be wasted on Transformers.

I wonder if the Fast and Furious series will see itself in the same position as Transformers is now by the time it reaches #10.

It'll happen sooner or later, no movie franchise can resist entropy. What will be interesting is whether or not Universal will be able to Batman Begins that series after they reach that point.

Depends on whether Vin Diesel realizes he's not the reason anyone gives a shit about the series still.

I want both of your resignations on my desk by the end of business

Guys, Del Toro is way too good to be wasted on Transformers.

A Del Toro Transformers would never come out

Del Toro already made a movie with giant robots fighting and it wasn't very good.

7n_yHA.gif

I am curious how big a hit the visual effects in Pacific Rim 2 are going take. Wasn't there a story out there about the first one that ILM did it for like half price just to make a monster movie with Del Toro? And then they threw John Knoll in to oversee it. You know shit is real at ILM when they send Knoll.

Big project comes along with some major VFX challenges. Director or producers are panicked, worrying if it can be done on time and to the quality that they want. Then ILM says they are sending Knoll. The director is on the other end like this:

giphy.gif

El Topo

It seems I have stepped inadvertedly into a parallel universe where Pacific Rim didn't suck ass. Only movie I ever thought about walking out of the theatre.

Lima

It seems I have stepped inadvertedly into a parallel universe where Pacific Rim didn't suck ass. Only movie I ever thought about walking out of the theatre.

Breh I saw that shit 4 times back to back opening day. Caught all 4 showings in Dbox. I mean during the 3rd and 4th time I walked out to grab a coffee during the lame ass middle part but man the action fucking rocked.

jett

D-Member
I am curious how big a hit the visual effects in Pacific Rim 2 are going take. Wasn't there a story out there about the first one that ILM did it for like half price just to make a monster movie with Del Toro? And then they threw John Knoll in to oversee it. You know shit is real at ILM when they send Knoll.

Big project comes along with some major VFX challenges. Director or producers are panicked, worrying if it can be done on time and to the quality that they want. Then ILM says they are sending Knoll. The director is on the other end like this:

giphy.gif

And yet Pacific Rim still ended up costing 200M+. Although for years I've (rightfully) talked shit about these Bayformers movies focusing on the humans, it would probably be cost-prohibitive to give most of the runtime to these VFX trash-gobots.

Toa TAK

Banned
How do want to walk out of giant robots and giant monsters punching each other?

Pure bliss

jett

D-Member

Pure bliss

Like Bayformers, a lot of the movie focuses on awful, idon'tgivesinglefuckabout human characters. I haven't seen it in a long time but I think after the opening there's a space of 30 minutes where nothing of interest happens.

And yet Pacific Rim still ended up costing 200M+. Although for years I've (rightfully) talked shit about these Bayformers movies focusing on the humans, it would probably be cost-prohibitive to give most of the runtime to these VFX trash-gobots.

Precisely. Pacific Rim was that expensive at a steep VFX discount. It is nuts. Of course, one reason they were able to pull much of it off was they treated Battleship like R&D to get their water simulation effects to a certain level.

El Topo

If the movie was only that and not full of dumb, annoying shit then I could see your point. Frankly, most of the action isn't really all that great either. The fight in Hongkong is great, but that's about it.

Toa TAK

Banned
Like Bayformers, a lot of the movie focuses on awful, idon'tgivesinglefuckabout human characters. I haven't seen it in a long time but I think after the opening there's a space of 30 minutes where nothing of interest happens.
I'll take those guys over anyone in TF.

At least.

At least.

I didn't feel it was as painful to sit through compared to the last two TF flicks, either. I had a good time.
If the movie was only that and not full of dumb, annoying shit then I could see your point. Frankly, most of the action isn't really all that great either. The fight in Hongkong is great, but that's about it.
I guess? The highs in it made it up for me.

Again not to constantly compare it to Transformers (but here I am anyways), I've got an even bigger appreciation for it. It's campy fun.

At least you didn't fall asleep like many of the narcoleptics that populate GAF

It's hard to sleep when every theater a GAF poster enters is constantly undergoing waves of standing ovations and rolling laughter as the professional standups present at every screening they attend shout the perfect one-liners from their seats to appreciative audiences, welcome interruptions that just so happen to also perfectly reinforce the internal thoughts of the person posting.

All of these things happen every time, but only once the attendee has correctly calibrated expectations to "not Citizen Kane" before numbing their frontal lobe with a full tub of popcorn.

It's hard to sleep when every theater a GAF poster enters is constantly undergoing waves of standing ovations and rolling laughter as professional standups shout the perfect one-liners to appreciative audiences that just so happen to perfectly reinforce the internal thoughts of the person posting.

What are you talking about, my running commentary of The Hateful Eight was lovely

I did do this when I was a teenager though, I've stopped now cause I'm lazy

Top Bottom