• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boon to the PS3? Warner Bros goes Blu-Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.

dankir

Choke on the Magic said:
I can't see MS offering a Bluray add on. Wouldn't they have to pay Sony royalties for everyone they made?

They said they would if the market goes in that direction, but Sony also said they wouldn't create multiple SKUS for the PS3. So who knows.

Madman

Stinkles said:
Of course they do, btu they shouldn't. This would be a bigger deal if Warner announced it was making really good games for PS3, no? As it is, this is one more collection of reasons for PS3 owners to buy fewer games.
I would like to see the logic behind this negatively affecting software sales. That would be like saying the growth in popularity of DVDs hurt the software sales of the PS2.

Xisiqomelir

Madman said:
I would like to see how the logic behind this negatively affecting software sales.

"PS3 is a great Blu-Ray player, shame about the console lol"

It's like you don't know GAF's autoresponses.

Stinkles said:
Of course they do, btu they shouldn't. This would be a bigger deal if Warner announced it was making really good games for PS3, no? As it is, this is one more collection of reasons for PS3 owners to buy fewer games.

But it's also a reason for more non PS3-owners to become PS3-owners, and might as well buy some games while we're at it. I'm pretty sure this is quite relevant to a gaming forum.

gkryhewy

Choke on the Magic said:
when they stop making dvd movies. Just like when they stopped making VHS.

Wow, that'll be a long time coming. Probably a much larger gap between then and now than between then and the complete cessation of disc based media. I wouldn't be surprised to see DVD outlast BRD.

I really don't see this as much of a boon to PS3, although its BRD functionality remains very attractive. Standalones are already cheaper, and the mainstream format adopters will want still cheaper standalones.

Ajax

Banned
frankthurk said:
So gamers don't really care?

Unfortunately gamers care about sales and these news are directly linked to the success of PS3 so I bet they care. And I find a bit hypocritical from some members who are in every weekly Media Create and monthly NPD thread to whine that this one is on the Gaming Forum.

BeeDog

mysticstylez said:
But what is going to convice the average family that doesn't own a PS3 but own a DVD player to jump ship?

I think you underestimate just how much picture and sound quality can turn around customers. At least here in Sweden the adoption rate for HDTV's has been rocketing the last 2 years or so, and I honestly believe that sampling what HD movies have to offer compared to (upscaled) DVD's is enough to warrant an upgrade.

ZeroTolerance

TOKYO, Jan. 4 /PRNewswire/ -- Toshiba is quite surprised by Warner Bros.' decision to abandon HD DVD in favor of Blu-ray, despite the fact that there are various contracts in place between our companies concerning the support of HD DVD. As central members of the DVD Forum, we have long maintained a close partnership with Warner Bros. We worked closely together to help standardize the first-generation DVD format as well as to define and shape HD DVD as its next-generation successor.

We were particularly disappointed that this decision was made in spite of the significant momentum HD DVD has gained in the US market as well as other regions in 2007. HD DVD players and PCs have outsold Blu-ray in the US market in 2007.

We will assess the potential impact of this announcement with the other HD DVD partner companies and evaluate potential next steps. We remain firm in our belief that HD DVD is the format best suited to the wants and needs of the consumer.

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/news_press_release,250140.shtml

steve

Banned
gkrykewy said:
Wow, that'll be a long time coming. Probably a much larger gap between then and now than between then and the complete cessation of disc based media. I wouldn't be surprised to see DVD outlast BRD.

You're nuts. The real telling sign is seeing DVDs that routinely used to sell for 20 bucks, now sell for 5 bucks. They've become a bargain bin item, which is why for the first time ever, last year saw a decrease in overall DVD sales.

Make no mistake, high-def is here to stay, DVD is a dying format. It's not going to happen overnight, but it is happening.

Stinkles said:
1. According to the other thread, this war has already been won for a year.
2. The PS3 is no longer the cheapest Blu Ray player and will be one of the most expensive ones by Xmas 2008.
3. It still is and always will be about the games.
4. Profit.

Aren't you guys independent now? Don't need this damage control anymore, right?

j/k

DeadGzuz

Banned
mr_bishiuk said:
I agree, they wont want any negative goodwill, I guess they will cease production right away and start work on a blu ray drive to try to negate some of the benefit of having a ps3.

MS sold a HD-DVD add-on to make a stalemate in the format war, they have little incentive to reinforce Sony's inclusion of the BD drive. They will probably pretend the war has no winner and continue on selling the HD-DVD add-on, maybe with a lower price (it should be $99 already).

Madman said:
I would like to see the logic behind this negatively affecting software sales. That would be like saying the growth in popularity of DVDs hurt the software sales of the PS2.

Why buy Uncharted when you can watch Indiana Jones? Why buy Halo when you can watch Aliens? Why buy NFS Pro Street when you can watch Fast and the Furious?

Tobor

I don't know, this HDM stuff is still really niche, win or not. And DVD isn't even slowing down in the least. Doesn't anyone get a Laserdisc vibe here?

RavenFox

Banned
ZeroTolerance said:

lol I waited to long to post this. You beat me to it

Poor HD-DVD
dawson-crying.jpg

gkrykewy said:

A very long time coming. With HD becoming standard in 2010 I think BRD will last just as long as DVD. I really can't imagine them ever getting rid of DVDs though. I mean almost everone has DVD player and or burner. Although I'm sure people said the same about VHS long ago.

Dante

Tobor said:
I don't know, this HDM stuff is still really niche, win or not. And DVD isn't even slowing down in the least. Doesn't anyone get a Laserdisc vibe here?

:lol yeah nothing beat getting up and flipping to side 2 mid movie.

steve

Banned
Tobor said:

DVD witnessed its first ever decline in sales during 2007. That's not because people stopped watching movies. It's because they are spending their cash on HD.

Tobor

JB1981 said:
read the op.

Aha. We'll see I guess. I don't really buy movies anymore, so the iTunes rental announcement at Macworld is more interesting to me anyway.

steve said:
DVD witnessed its first ever decline in sales during 2007. That's not because people stopped watching movies. It's because they are spending their cash on HD.

Or rented via Netflix and DD. But carry on with the parade.

steve said:

You know its even more likely that much of these losses could be attributed to piracy, increases in renting, digital distribution and HD. They're all factors.

Soul Creator: it's not really the same. A movie is filmed on a specific media and then gets transferred to a multiple of mediums. They don't have to have DVD or Blu-ray in mind when making the movie. Same can not be said about creating software (games): CPU is specific, GPU is specific, bus might be specific, RAM etc. etc.

dankir said:
They said they would if the market goes in that direction, but Sony also said they wouldn't create multiple SKUS for the PS3. So who knows.
I thought Kutaragi envisioned all kinds of variety of PS3.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
TTP said:
Did HD-DVD players really sell more than BD ones in 2007?

Standalone players, perhaps. Toshiba likes to ignore PS3 sales.

I find it surprising that they said they'd be taking counsel on next steps, acknowledging the significance of this. Hopefully their partners tell them it's over.

BeeDog said:
I think you underestimate just how much picture and sound quality can turn around customers. At least here in Sweden the adoption rate for HDTV's has been rocketing the last 2 years or so, and I honestly believe that sampling what HD movies have to offer compared to (upscaled) DVD's is enough to warrant an upgrade.

It won't be happening anytime soon. Hell, Pirates of The Caribbean:At Worlds End, sold 7.3 million DVD's in its first week compared to only 160,000 for Blu Ray in the same time frame.

No time soon will better video/sound quality make those numbers come close together.

Tobor

Dante said:
:lol yeah nothing beat getting up and flipping to side 2 mid movie.

Dude, that was awesome at the time! I remember watching Return of the Jedi on Laserdisc at my Uncle's house. Mind blowing at the time. :lol

Chiggs

Gold Member
Dante said:
I'd venture to guess they were talking stand alone units.

Except Toshiba considered the 360 unit a standalone. The HD-DVD group was really good at spinning things. And by good, I mean pathetic.

JB1981

TTP said:
standalones did, yes.

they were like $75 at one point - been cheaper for several months.

software sales - now that is what Warner Bros. is looking at. BD has like a 69:31 marketshare edge YTD.

and that's with players that have been nearly 2x more expensive for a long long time.

PS3 saved blu-ray, pretty much.

DrXym

TTP said:

I doubt it unless the HD DVD camp do their usual magic trick of pretending the PS3 doesn't exist except when it comes to discussing attach rates. When discussing attach rates, it's best to acknowlege the PS3 since the attach rates go lower by comparison to dedicated HD DVD devices,

Amir0x

Banned
Don't think it'll help PS3 at all, but I do think it's great positive step for HD movies... because, for fuck's sake, this format war is ridiculous.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
So does anyone really think there is a flood of people just waiting for Warner Bros. to go Blu-ray before buying a PS3?

This is a positive move for Blu-ray as a format, but I just don't see it sending a significant percentage of fence sitters jumping off their perch and running for a PS3. Consumers interested in High Definition Warner Brothers films will buy a Blu-ray player. Consumers interesting in PS3 gaming will but a PS3. Sure, they'll be some overlap, but we've already seen that that segment of the market is nowhere near the driving force we're pretending it to be.

Amir0x said:
Don't think it'll help PS3 at all, but I do think it's a positive step... because, for fuck's sake, this format war is ridiculous.

This.

Visualante said:
Well I'm glad the format war is one step closer to being over. It wasn't good for consumers.

I read an interesting blog post that argued that Microsoft's support of HD-DVD exists only to confuse people as Microsoft plans to save the day with digital distribution and they couldn't care if they lose billions on the platform because they aim to own digital distribution channels around the World.
Yeah, I really do not care which one wins as long as one does...but I think HD-DVD is done...What do they have left? Like what is the split now between Blu-ray and HDDVD?

Firewire

Banned
TTP said:

HD-DVD against blu ray players stand alone players yes. But the HD-DVD group doesn't add the PS3 in those numbers. It's their (Toshiba/HD-DVD group) media spin, which has been scoffed at by industry analysts since late '06.

Chiggs

Gold Member
WickedCobra03 said:
Yeah, I really do not care which one wins as long as one does...but I think HD-DVD is done...What do they have left? Like what is the split now between Blu-ray and HDDVD?

70/30 - Arguably higher.

JB1981

Amir0x said:
Don't think it'll help PS3 at all, but I do think it's great positive step for HD movies... because, for fuck's sake, this format war is ridiculous.
i think if people can only get high-def media on blu-ray for the better part of 2008, it will most certainly have a positive impact on ps3 sales. how could it not? it will help and could very well end up helping out in a major way.

i mean, my brother just bought a Toshiba 37" LCD HDTV for $599 at Circuit City the other day. HDTV is getting cheaper, ps3 is getting cheaper, the media will hopefully get cheaper. Christmas 2008 could be very big. But who knows.

Riddick

I think it'll help PS3 considerably since it remains one of the best and most upgradable BD players in the world.

mysticstylez said:
It won't be happening anytime soon. Hell, Pirates of The Caribbean:At Worlds End, sold 7.3 million DVD's in its first week compared to only 160,000 for Blu Ray in the same time frame.

Ah, there were are. I've been looking for a comparison like that.

Firewire

Banned
Chiggs said:
70/30 - Arguably higher.

It would be a bit higher considering most smaller distributors & publishers back blu ray, but they don't get counted in among the big boys. It might not be to far off to say 80%.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
siamesedreamer said:
Was DVD ever "owned" by a company the way BluRay is "owned" by Sony?

I just don't see how that can be a good thing.

well someone has to invent this stuff after all. it doesnt rain from the sky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom