• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boon to the PS3? Warner Bros goes Blu-Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davidion

Dante said:
Having Companies dragging out a format war sucks if you like buying movies. People are happy because this move is a signifigant step towards ending that.

:lol No they're not, people are happy because it means good news for their console and format of choice.

chubigans said:
MS has mentioned that they'd consider a BD external player down the line...once in 06, and again in March 07.

Yup. Peter Moore let slip they were considering it before Microsoft PR shut that up.

jonabbey

Raist said:
So how many days/weeks before Universal and Paramount join the BRD bandwagon ?

Paramount is rumored to have an 18 month deal with Toshiba, so they're probably stuck with it for awhile, unless there is an e$cape clause.

Universal might be able to switch at any time, it'll depend on what agreements they have in place.

Davidion

ZeroTolerance said:
Oh shit, as funny as that might sound, it can so happen. What would it mean though ?

It may prove to be a potent leftfield variable in the game because of the surging popularity of the wii, but realistically it won't mean much. Such an announcement is almost a certain impossibility anyhow.

Xisiqomelir

Forgotten Ancient said:
I'm building interest in a PS3 again, but only the 60 gig model. I'm mainly concerned with the quality of any used models I'll find though.

You can probably find new ones from launch :lol

Doodis

fistfulofmetal said:
I'm think all three of the LOTR movies were announced for BD in a European country, I think it was Spain
That was most likely a practical joke for Spain's "Fool's Day."

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
jett said:
Those WB fuckers need to release Begins first.

QFT.

It's even funnier to think this has happened when it seemed like for so long, WB was treating Blu-ray as second class.

[Nintex] said:
Kutaragi did the right thing we just didn't get it. Now Kaz and some clowns are running Sony much like Bell replaced Peter Moore *shrug*

:lol

Let's make a "Bringing Kutaragi Back" petition right now!!!!

jonabbey said:
Nonsense. There have always been more companies producing BD players than ever produced HD-DVD players, so there's plenty of competition to lower hardware costs. Remember the price trajectory of DVD players?

The only thing competition between the two formats might have done was engender competition at the patent/software licensing level, but those royalties are low enough that they were never going to be determinative between the two formats, nor anything that a customer would ever notice.

Perhaps you'll see BD movies be $1 a disc higher than they might otherwise have been or some such, but that'd be about the extent of it, and given that all of those prices will drop as volumes increase, the rising tide should lift the boats just fine.

Why is nonsense? The blu ray forum is basically a cartel designed to keep out the Chinese manufactures to keep prices high. DVD took years before it was at the prices you can pick up HDDVD and bluray drives now.

They got desenters on board by saying were going to put a drive in the PS3 and sell 100m units so they'd win by default!

ZeroTolerance

legend166 said:
Seriously though, can someone please tell me the advantages of Blu-Ray, and why people want it to win?

Well for me personally, is because I am a "Sonyman" and would like them to win. dat it.

gkryhewy

legend166 said:
Seriously though, can someone please tell me the advantages of Blu-Ray, and why people want it to win?

More storage space, more studio support, and purchase justification for lots of PS3 folks in here?

keep this in the gaming discussion

this is good news for the ps3.

the ps3 and 360 are competing not just on gaming alone.

maybe some people will see the ps3 as a "all in one" entertainment device

Chittagong

Gold Member
This will have HUGE ramifications on how this generation will play out. Massive. This is coming someone more attracted to Xbox than PS3. Suddenly a non-factor in the console turns into a real value proposition.

Just think of Christmas 2008, when you'll have Harry Potter in HD all over the place and Sony goes aggressive and pushes 40GB set to 249/299USD and enables software backwards compatibility. That'll be big trouble to Nintendo and Microsoft.

Also, this will negate any advantage a new Xbox HD-DVD SKU would have had.

Wow.

[Nintex]

asclepio_gtr said:
:lol

Let's make a "Bringing Kutaragi Back" petition right now!!!!
"9/9/09 believe " Peter Moore, "crazy" Ken Kutaragi>>>>>"Riiiiiidge Racer" Kaz Hirai,"Contribution to society" Jeff Bell

LowParry

djtortilla said:

That's how the PS2 was viewed in that sort of way. Not only does it play games, it plays DVD's.

Davidion

Chittagong said:
This will have HUGE ramifications on how this generation will play out. Massive. This is coming someone more attracted to Xbox than PS3. Suddenly a non-factor in the console turns into a real value proposition.

Just think of Christmas 2008, when you'll have Harry Potter in HD all over the place and Sony goes aggressive and pushes 40GB set to 249/299USD and enables software backwards compatibility. That'll be big trouble to Nintendo and Microsoft.

Wow.

Huge ramifications? Possibly. 2008 holidays? Much too soon. Expect the bulk of the impact of this news to really affect the market in 2009.

chubigans said:
MS has mentioned that they'd consider a BD external player down the line...once in 06, and again in March 07.
No shit?! I always remember reading how they were standing by the HD-DVD format. Where can I find the article?

Davidion said:
:lol No they're not, people are happy because it means good news for their console and format of choice.

Bullshit.

I have a 360 and the HDDVD add-on and I'm still very happy with this news. I don't care if I "picked the wrong side" - I simply went to the cheapest HD format I could at the time for me. I'd much prefer a dominant format that moves HD content forward than to lag behind in this confusing, half-assed competition that only hurts consumers.

Blu-Ray or HD-DVD I don't care.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
1. According to the other thread, this war has already been won for a year.
2. The PS3 is no longer the cheapest Blu Ray player and will be one of the most expensive ones by Xmas 2008.
3. It still is and always will be about the games.
4. Profit.

Kittonwy

Banned
Sage00 said:
Aren't Warner supposed to be speaking at the HD-DVD keynote?

Talk about awkward.. :lol

Warner Prez *walks on teh stage*: HD-DVD GODAI HURHURHUR.

*walks off teh stage*

Indifferent2.gif

Chittagong said:

Wow.
I don't think it will have nearly as big of an impact as you say, as long as Microsoft does a significant price drop right away. I for one, still could care less about HD. I think Nintendo has already proven that the price is more important than the option to have HD. I'm not interested in paying 40-50 bucks for HD movies when I can still enjoy non HD movies and buy them for cheap.

Eteric Rice

CcrooK said:
That's how the PS2 was viewed in that sort of way. Not only does it play games, it plays DVD's.

Yeah, but the PS2 also had massive hype behind it, so DVD just kind of sweetened the deal. Also, DVD was well known.

The PS3 on the other hand, has no hype behind it. And hardly anyone even knows what Blu-Ray is.

It migh effect the market waaay down the road, but by then you'll probably be able to buy a Blu-Ray player cheaper than a PS3.

lol @ people reading way too much into the format war.

MS threw in the HD-DVD add-on to market to offer a platform that was competitive to Sony's, and they weren't going to go with bluray for the same reason that sony chose Linux instead of Windows for the PS3 OS. They simply refuse to use their competitors technology if they can avoid it. It probably didn't even matter to MS if HD-DVD won or not, they made some money, and were able to offer a competitive platform for the last year. Now, however, they're either going to let sony have the way with the only console with high-def movie playback, focus on distributing high-def movies online, or bite the bullet and make a blu-ray drive add-on

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Stinkles said:
2. The PS3 is no longer the cheapest Blu Ray player and will be one of the most expensive ones by Xmas 2008.
4. Profit.

You sound a bit tempered to me. Let me fluff your pillow for ya.

lockload

Metalmurphy said:
Hopefully others follow soon.

2 Formats do nothing but hurt the industry

Yeh i agree it may already be too late i get the feeling the wide availability of cable, satellite tv and HD PVR;s there seems to be little appetite for HD discs

Chittagong said:

Wow.

If I knew that was going to happen, I'd buy a PS3 today. Right now.

bud

Linkzg said:
yay! third thread im saying it in, BUT BATMAN BEGINS ON BLURAY RIGHT NOW!

but will the brd version fix the terrible camerawork? probably not (lol) but that's my main gripe with it.

Firewire

Banned
I feel sorry for those that spent good money on HD-DVD players and movies, yes even those MS loyalists that purchased the add-on. Although I always found that rather confusing as many industry analysts and those in movie business always trumped blu ray as being the desired platform for the industry.

This announcement is pretty well one of the last nails in the coffin. Those (big & small) that support both formats will surely migrate to blu ray now.

watership

djtortilla said:

Actually the PS3 is competing with Other Blu-ray players.

gohepcat

Banned
Ugg. I was actually looking forward to a resolution that was the same as the CDR "+/-" wars. They both just become interchangeable and meaningless.

The price of entry for HDDVD was bumping up against the 99 dollar mark. I was hoping the war would just keep pushing prices down.

Stinkles said:
4. Profit.
He who has ears let him hear.

Davidion

Forgotten Ancient said:
Bullshit.

I have a 360 and the HDDVD add-on and I'm still very happy with this news. I don't care if I "picked the wrong side" - I simply went to the cheapest HD format I could at the time for me. I'd much prefer a dominant format that moves HD content forward than to lag behind in this confusing, half-assed competition that only hurts consumers.

Blu-Ray or HD-DVD I don't care.

Oh please, half of this forum would be pissing and moaning or dead silent if Warner went HD DVD. If you believe otherwise, I have a nice bridge here I'd like to sell you.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Stinkles said:
4. Profit.

:lol It's true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom