• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boon to the PS3? Warner Bros goes Blu-Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kittonwy

Banned
Doodis said:
It's the Internets. People are dicks.

I just got the HD DVD add-on for Christmas. Still torn about whether I should return it or not, but I'm leaning toward it. Save up for a PS3 or see if Microsoft will come out with a Blu Ray add-on. It's an overall bummer for folks in the HD DVD camp, but I understand why Warner did it. All the confusion was bad for business.

Get a PS3, you can finally play some of the great exclusive games like Uncharted that you didn't get a chance to play, AND you can watch Blu-Ray on it, that's like, killing two birds with one stone.
Indifferent2.gif

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
SolidSnakex said:
Probably months, especially if they're under contract.

Going neutral wouldn't technically require months if what Universal says is true - i.e. that they have made no commitments to be exclusive to HD-DVD, they're just doing it of their own volition.

But I expect it would take months anyway, because they've been so hardcore in their support for HD-DVD, I doubt they'd switch directions, even to neutrality, that quickly. It'll take some time and convincing.

SSM25

I'm waiting for the day Paramount goes blu-exclusive, PR is going to be fun

although, the gained 150 million, by doing nothing, so that a good deal for them I guess

JCBossman

Banned
Kittonwy said:
Did you buy the HD-DVD add-on? No offense but you made a move to prolong this senseless format war by supporting an inferior format, making it harder for me to get every single movie on Blu-Ray which is my format of choice, am I supposed to feel sorry for you?
Indifferent2.gif

It's too bad HD-DVD couldn't die sooner, I don't need new movies split into two separate aisles at my local HMV when with a unified format I can watch them all on my PS3.
Indifferent2.gif

No you don't need to "feel sorry" for me, but a little less, HAHA would be fine.I guess now on GAF, you are allowed to make fun of a losing sides? I also don't like the MASSIVE stack of PS3's blocking my view of all my great 360 titles at best buy:D

Kittonwy

Banned
gofreak said:
Going neutral wouldn't technically require months if what Universal says is true - i.e. that they have made no commitments to be exclusive to HD-DVD, they're just doing it of their own volition.

But I expect it would take months anyway, because they've been so hardcore in their support for HD-DVD, I doubt they'd switch directions, even to neutrality, that quickly. It'll take some time and convincing.

It will be much easier for BDA to lobby Universal to abandon HD-DVD now that the end is inevitable for HD-DVD, nobody wants two formats on the market, now Universal can make it happen quicker, not just for everybody else, but for themselves. I want to see Walmart start dropping support for HD-DVD, that should make Universal's decision easier.

as a dreamcast owner, i know how you feel when your beloved machine gets killed.
It would have been nice if Sony would have offered me o convert my DC game library into ps2 games but they did not.

Anyway it still works and play flawlessly Marvel vs Capcom 2 + REZ, some of the best games i've ever played

Kittonwy

Banned
JCBossman said:
No you don't need to "feel sorry" for me, but a little less, HAHA would be fine.I guess now on GAF, you are allowed to make fun of a losing sides? I also don't like the MASSIVE stack of PS3's blocking my view of all my great 360 titles at best buy:D

Well it's never too late, you make that stack smaller by buying a PS3, cuz your format HD-DVD is basically finished and Blu-Ray is going to be THE Hi-Def format now, and PS3 is both a great Blu-Ray player as well as the only platform on which you can actually play Uncharted, and Uncharted is a great game that anyone who calls himself a gamer should play.
Indifferent2.gif

gofreak said:

I think it'll depend on how much longer Toshiba really plans to push HDDVD. It seems like all news sites are basically saying its over with for it now. So its a matter of how much longer they want to drag this out knowing that its not going anywhere for them. If they start giving Universal clues that they're done with it then it could come alot sooner than we think.

Vashu

JCBossman said:
It is creepy, my support for HD DVD was to try to ensure it's future, as long as it survived, and got good support by all studios, I couldn't have cared less how Blu was doing. Alot of Blu boys seem to relish the thought of a fellow movie lover, losing his investment.

Well, it's not like you're going to lose your investment per se right? I mean, you still can get a lot out of your HD-DVD, and by the time the transition to full BRD comes, which is a sure-fire thing right now, you got a great catalog of already great movies. If I had invested in HD-DVD from the get-go, I would be happy with all the awesome titles I had in house. Great picture quality, good features, and I certainly wouldn't throw away the amount of titles I would've got if I had the finances to get a large quantity of movies.

It's like with consoles. The Xbox was pretty much a failure in the end, the same with the GameCube, in my book. I still got the damn thing, along with the games. But then again, I have trouble parting with most of the things I bought. I still have a collector's side to myself.

I don't know how many titles you got on HD-DVD, but if it were more than 30, I'd keep them. Get as much out of it as possible.

And don't worry, I dislike the annoyingly vocal Blu's and Red's as much as you do. I never had a thing for fanboys anyway. Even though I do have my preferences, you don't hear me being all 'NAH NAH! Blu-Ray won! You loser!'. Really, some guys are just whiny little kids trying to justify their purchase as if there was no tomorrow. Screw them, and just enjoy the things you got.

It's not like it magically evaporates right now.

Edit: And Kittonwy, you're being as feisty as ever. XD

Xavien

Raist said:
Which served no point since you were watching your DVD's with your good old component or SCART cables.
Well at least, with DVD's there's no quality loss over time. That was the main improvement over VHS.

Having an Analog signal transferred over a small cable doesn't diminish the picture quality by any visible degree. Copying and storing an Analog picture causes loss of quality by its very nature. Digital storage results in no loss of quality when storing and copying the media.

The removal of quality degradation through multiple play-throughs was merely a side effect of the transition.

Davidion

JCBossman said:

:lol They're called idiots who knew nothing about the industry feeling like they won something because they lucked out. Believe me, 99% of the people lauding Blu-ray's greatness are just fanboys who knows absolute jack about what's going on in the background.

Anyways, ebay the HD-DVD stuff now and go back to waiting. If the dominoes really will fall, then you shouldn't have to wait long anyhow. By next year we should ideally see the market settle down.

gofreak said:

Yes it will. Future pending releases won't be removed from the schedule just because a competitor made a move; a media corporation of Universal's size and caliber doesn't move that quickly.

Provided they move relatively quick away from HD-DVD, you can expect them to release their last HD-DVD title early fall this year.

Ponn

Banned
JCBossman said:

Nobody is forcing you to click on this or other threads like no one forced you get HD DVD.

Raist

Banned
Xavien said:
Having an Analog signal transferred over a small cable doesn't diminish the picture quality by any visible degree. Copying and storing an Analog picture causes loss of quality by its very nature. Digital storage results in no loss of quality when storing and copying the media.

Huh. If you PC monitor / GC allows it, try playing games or watching movies with a VGA cable, then a DVI-D (or I) one. The difference is pretty impressive.

@ for the ones who got an HDDVD player / addon this Christmas :
return them to store while you can as i just have the feeling it will not last long.

Kittonwy

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
I think it'll depend on how much longer Toshiba really plans to push HDDVD. It seems like all news sites are basically saying its over with for it now. So its a matter of how much longer they want to drag this out knowing that its not going anywhere for them. If they start giving Universal clues that they're done with it then it could come alot sooner than we think.

It's going to be interesting to see how Walmart will react to this news and the inevitable death of HD-DVD, if and when Walmart really starts pushing Blu-Ray ultra-aggressively, will they also be pushing the PS3 the same way as well?

I was looking through the Wikipedia at the "List Warner Bros. films".

Beowulf (2007) (co-production with Paramount Pictures)
Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (2007) (co-production with Dreamworks Pictures)

Since both of these movies were co-produced by a blu-ray and hd-dvd exclusive studios, how is it decided which format these will go on?

FLEABttn

Banned
Kittonwy said:
It's going to be interesting to see how Walmart will react to this news and the inevitable death of HD-DVD, if and when Walmart really starts pushing Blu-Ray ultra-aggressively, will they also be pushing the PS3 the same way as well?

I'd argue they'll push whatever player gives them the most money, which likely isn't the PS3.

Rand al Thor 19

I can't wait to play Uncharted in 10 months when the PS3 is reasonably priced. Plus, MGS4 should be out by then so at least the PS3 should have 3 good games at that point.

jett

D-Member
Rand al Thor 19 said:
I can't wait to play Uncharted in 10 months when the PS3 is reasonably priced. Plus, MGS4 should be out by then so at least the PS3 should have 3 good games at that point.

You will last long here.

ymmv

Banned
Barkley's Justice said:
i doubt anything relevant will come out of this thread at this point

Too bad because the past 36 pages were filled to the brim with wonders and surprises, insights and revelations. Why can't all Neogaf threads shine so bright!?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Rand al Thor 19 said:
:lol

Davidion

FLEABttn said:
I'd argue they'll push whatever player gives them the most money, which likely isn't the PS3.

I wonder if they'll have BD players in the $100-200 range by around summer time. From a consumer perspective, HD players hit a lot of strides during this holiday season due to Toshiba's push and similarly priced BD players will likely aid in "spreading the message" with HD's downward slope.

le.phat

Rand al Thor 19 said:
I guess I should have said "3 games that I wanted to play" instead of a general statement.

poor fella. Just sell your 360 addon + movies now while they're still worth a damn.

antiloop

Davidion said:
I wonder if they'll have BD players in the $100-200 range by around summer time. From a consumer perspective, HD players hit a lot of strides during this holiday season due to Toshiba's push and similarly priced BD players will likely aid in "spreading the message" with HD's downward slope.

I hope we will see some announcements at CES. Blu-ray movies are already cheaper here where I live but PS3 is basically the only "cheap" Blu-ray player.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
i think Universal and Paramount will try to suck as much money as they can out of HD DVD now, since its pretty clear that Blu Ray will be winning.

but they can still get a few sales whiel Blu-Ray matures and grows its market in the meantime, and when they finally release their HD catalog on Blu-Ray, they'll get huge sales, bed laid by HD-DVD sales.

antiloop said:
I hope we will see some announcements at CES. Blu-ray movies are already cheaper here where I live but PS3 is basically the only "cheap" Blu-ray player.

There should be something soon just so they can make sure HDDVD is done with.

ZeroTolerance

Won't it be funny if Warner released a statement saying they made a mistake and that they retract what they said. What they really meant to say was they were going HD DVD exclusive along with FOX ?

Yea right..lol

SSM25

Rand al Thor 19 said:

sell that 360 add on or that wal-mart A2 to someone that doesn't have a clue on what's happening right now....you need to act fast though

RavenFox

Banned
Xavien said:
Resolution only goes so far, the biggest quality increase from VHS to DVD was going from Analogue to Digital. The increased resolution helped improve the image quality still further, thats all.

You are so witty my friend, want a cookie?
Ahh your bitter tears are unsurprisingly quite sweet.

Rand al Thor 19 said:

Wow you again with this shit? No one payed attention to your crap the last time eh? Also no one cares about your dusty wallet or what you think of PS3 and what it should be priced to fit your needs. GTFO out of the thread because you really dont give a shit about whats being said in here or PS3.

Rand al Thor 19

le.phat said:
poor fella. Just sell your 360 addon + movies now while they're still worth a damn.

I don't have the HD-DVD addon so this doesn't affect me. I do sometimes download movies from the XBLM though. And I always planned on getting a PS3 sometime in the future.

LowParry

Rand al Thor 19 said:

Wow. :lol

Davidion

davepoobond said:
i think Universal and Paramount will try to suck as much money as they can out of HD DVD now, since its pretty clear that Blu Ray will be winning.

but they can still get a few sales whiel Blu-Ray matures and grows its market in the meantime, and when they finally release their HD catalog on Blu-Ray, they'll get huge sales, bed laid by HD-DVD sales.

This is why all these predictions of HD-DVD collapsing tomorrow is so laughable. Even if they announced pulling their support tomorrow, it'll take months to finishing rolling out their remaining titles. The HD market hasn't disappeared yet.

Also, don't count on all the back catalogs releasing in Hi-Def just yet; it's not going to happen until the market turns fully BD. The bulk of the releases will still be new release.

Mrbob

JCBossman said:
It is creepy, my support for HD DVD was to try to ensure it's future, as long as it survived, and got good support by all studios, I couldn't have cared less how Blu was doing. Alot of Blu boys seem to relish the thought of a fellow movie lover, losing his investment.

Sucks to be you for putting all your investment into the losing format.

This isn't the console business. Format wars are not good for the movie industry.

Buy a PS3.

ZeroTolerance said:

Speaking of doing what's right for consumers, we have an idea. Warner and the rest of the Blu-ray Disc Association should take the high road in the weeks ahead, and offer some kind of deal to HD-DVD enthusiasts as a nice gesture. It could be some kind of arrangement that allows them to exchange a couple of their HD-DVD movies for Blu-ray versions of the same title, or some kind discount on Blu-ray hardware and software. Think of it as a peace offering - a way to welcome HD-DVD consumers into the Blu-ray fold. It's just a thought we had, but we think it's something the BDA should seriously consider, to help put all this format war foolishness - and the acrimony it's inspired online - behind us.

They should actually do that. It'd make consumers even more sure that BR is the right way to go.

Wollan

Kinda ot but the Stanley Kubric movies on BD, is it possible to get a collectors box or do I have to pick up each individual movie?

JCBossman said:

God shut the hell up already I have no sympathy at all for with that crap.
It is creepy, my support for HD DVD was to try to ensure it's future, as long as it survived, and got good support by all studios, I couldn't have cared less how Blu was doing.

Yeah your support for HD-DVD is creepy.

I do relish the though of getting all the movies that were once exclusive to HD-DVD. Probably movies that are in your collection too.

Davidion

SolidSnakex said:
They should actually do that. It'd make consumers even more sure that BR is the right way to go.

It's obviously the right thing to do for consumers and could be a boon (hur hur) for publicity. If they're smart, they'll go that route for the sake of wider benefit of the industry.

FF_VIII said:
So, is it a matter of weeks for Universal to go neutral or full exclusive?

They probably have to finish out the contract, unless there was a loop hole is case this happened. Should be just in time for Indiana Jones on Bluray.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom