• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boon to the PS3? Warner Bros goes Blu-Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
le.phat said:
poor fella. Just sell your 360 addon + movies now while they're still worth a damn.

Should I sell my DVDs too? When Blu-ray turns off HD-DVD players will DVD get powered down? Why don't they make three-ply toilet paper?

No_Style

Rand al Thor 19 said:
I guess it's not possible that I really am only interested in just three PS3 games.

It is, but what did you expect when you said this:

Rand al Thor 19 said:
I can't wait to play Uncharted in 10 months when the PS3 is reasonably priced. Plus, MGS4 should be out by then so at least the PS3 should have 3 good games at that point.

instead of:

Rand al Thor 19 said:
I can't wait to play Uncharted in 10 months when the PS3 is reasonably priced. Plus, MGS4 should be out by then so at least the PS3 should have the 3 games I am interested in.

Just saying..

Beatbox said:
6jbcjdz.jpg

The "Wow" factor is clearly greater and larger.
Nice pic and cool tag. Your reputation precedes you. Really, though, this pic shows that the jump to HD really is greater than many believe. When people talk about how the jump to DVD was so much greater, they're confusing resolution increase with the quality increase that came from going digital. Also, as has been stated, before, the resolution increase will be more noticeable the larger the display gets.

As for whether the recent turn of events is a boon to PS3, I say, no doubt. While the PS3 is no longer the cheapest(yet best) option for a Blu-ray player, those still wanting it for its gaming capabilities have even more incentive to get one, now.

urk said:
Should I sell my DVDs too? When Blu-ray turns off HD-DVD players will DVD get powered down? Why don't they make three-ply toilet paper?
You make no sense and sound like a whinny little kid.

DVD's are going to outlast HD-DVD Believe it! You can still buy DVD's when Blu-ray takes over it's alright. I saw a lot of commercials for DVD/Blu-ray so you'll still be able to get DVDs but I don't see HD-Dvd lasting much longer.

No ones stopping you from watching the HD-dvd's that are out now and coming out for a little while longer.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Rand al Thor 19 said:
I guess it's not possible that I really am only interested in just three PS3 games.
It's possible but comments like yours are generally more indicative of someone who knows less about the game library in question than they claim. We all look forward to the day you actually get a PS3 and discover games you didn't even realize existed.

Vashu

No_Style said:
It is, but what did you expect when you said this:

instead of:

Just saying..

Wow, some people really are a little too worked up about certain things. So he phrased it a little badly, my god people, what is this? Gamefaqs? So far the discussion here has been pretty rational and civilized, which is a miracle in itself. Don't start with inane drivel like this and try to badmouth anyone who isn't complying to what you like more.

He already rephrased himself, let him be.

Davidion said:
It's obviously the right thing to do for consumers and could be a boon (hur hur) for publicity. If they're smart, they'll go that route for the sake of wider benefit of the industry.

Especially since many people did by HDDVD players during Christmas due to the price. So if they could atleast trade in any WB movies they bought for the same movie in BR it'd be a nice way of making sure this whole thing ends as quick as many want it to. And it helps get rid of the bad blood that might be there from some consumers for feeling like they'd been screwed over.

urk said:
Should I sell my DVDs too?

:lol

As a format-neutral supporter, I'm just hoping to see the Star Trek Original Series Season 1 set to hit a firesale. I've no problem buying a few more HD-DVDs if the price is right.

Rand al Thor 19

kaching said:
It's possible but comments like yours are generally more indicative of someone who knows less about the game library in question than they claim. We all look forward to the day you actually get a PS3 and discover games you didn't even realize existed.

Is this a joke??? Go look at the neogaf Xbox 360 leaderboard and then come back here and tell me that I don't know what games are out and coming out for the 360 and PS3.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
SolidSnakex said:
Especially since many people did by HDDVD players during Christmas due to the price. So if they could atleast trade in any WB movies they bought for the same movie in BR it'd be a nice way of making sure this whole thing ends as quick as many want it to. And it helps get rid of the bad blood that might be there from some consumers for feeling like they'd been screwed over.

How about: Toshiba joins BD, makes BD players, and offers rebates to their HD-DVD customers as an apology.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
InterMoniker said:
You make no sense and sound like a whinny little kid.

DVD's are going to outlast HD-DVD Believe it! You can still buy DVD's when Blu-ray takes over it's alright.

But he can still watch his HD-DVD's too, right? See, perfect sense. He'd be an idiot to sell any HD-DVD's he got just so he can repurchase them at a loss.

See? Perfect sense.

And it's "whiny." Whinny is the sound a horse makes.

painey

kaching said:

im sure rand knows enough about consoles librarys, hell, he's played (and got 1000 gamerpoints) on more shovelware than you've probably ever heard of :lol

gofreak said:
How about: Toshiba joins BD, makes BD players, and offers rebates to their HD-DVD customers as an apology.
Something like that will happen. standard excahnge for a small fee between HD-DVD and Blu-ray version of the same movie.
it could save a lot a customers that already adopted HD.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
6jbcjdz.jpg

Yeah every time I need to explain to some why HD matter I usually just use hand gestures this should come and handy.

Davidion

urk said:

:lol Oddly enough, DVD might see a much longer lifespan going forward than HD-DVD. We'll see.

SolidSnakex said:

Well, I see it more as being able to do some good for consumers and use that to springboard the message of BD while they have an upper hand. Honestly, even if consumer were pissed, they'd have no single corporation to focus that anger on and there isn't a single particular entity that would have all that much to lose. But that's just me being pragmatic.

George Claw M.D. said:
When people talk about how the jump to DVD was so much greater, they're confusing resolution increase with the quality increase that came from going digital.
Or perhaps talking about the more meaningful changes involving menus, chapters, minimal degradation per use, no more rewind, perfect stills etc etc etc. The resolution increase was a tiny part of the difference between DVD and VHS.

kinggroin

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:
AGAIN. It's absolutely "good" fucking quality. Or are we going to start debating, instead of the gap between DVD and HD resolution, any kind of serious significant gap between my HD Cable signal and one on Disc?

Fact: Children Of Men on my HD Cable box looks better than a DVD. That's "good quality". Why on earth would anyone try and convince me otherwise?

First off, calm the fuck down partner. Let's forget mass market for a sec (because what they find to be acceptable isn't the best barometer for what's "quality") and look at what we have here.

DVD quality from an objective standpoint is decent (at least today). Suffering a bit from the move to fixed pixel displays. However, a well-mastered DVD still holds up well to a lot of the "good" fucking quality HD broadcast you're so adamant about backing. Usually, these HDTV movies are adequate at best, and a mess at worst (only getting worse as tv size and quality increases). That's not that kind of upgrade I want over my DVD collection. HD-DVD and BD are. Until we can get THAT kind of quality through my cable provider, than fuck off with that DD bullshit.

Again, resolution is one thing, but delivering these HD movies at bitrate-starved levels is not "good" fucking quality. Adequate for you and the mass market that don't take this whole HD thing as seriously, fine. Just don't make it more than what it is.

B-Ri

Xavien said:
I have a decent quality upscaling DVD-player and to be quite honest, i cant see the difference between Blu-ray/HD-DVD and DVD's.

There might be some quality increase but not enough to warrant buying my entire DVD collection again.

VHS to DVD was a much more profound leap in quality, features and technology.

Sorry, but I'm going to wait for HVD.

stop lying to yourself, stop lying to all of us

sorry, but there is a GIGANTIC differences, and visible to anyone with two eyes.

beermonkey@tehbias said:
:lol

As a format-neutral supporter, I'm just hoping to see the Star Trek Original Series Season 1 set to hit a firesale. I've no problem buying a few more HD-DVDs if the price is right.

Um, I've got a serious question about that. Honestly, I'm not trying to snark it up or anything...

Are those discs in HD? I mean, was the original series filmed and scanned, or videotaped and somehow upscaled and processed?

Tell me what the deal is with this collection and why you would want it in an HD format. I honestly don't know anything about this release, other than it's on the shelves, and I am curious what it offers over the DVD set. I'm not much of a fan of the original series, but I have a buddy who is avid.

B-Ri said:

sorry, but there is a GIGANTIC differences, and visible to anyone with two eyes.

topsyturvy said:
not with a standard def tv it is. :/
Oh brother... this is such a lame line.

Philanthropist said:
Spielberg movies are not included in the Paramount HD-DVD exclusive deal, which means they'll come to Blu-ray whenever they want to release them.

Didn't know that, but it's good to know that it won't be delayed. Can't wait for May 22nd.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
B-Ri said:

Dude, why are people so upset? I see nothing crazy about what Xavien posted. In fact, I recently watched the 300 DVD upscaled to 1080p on my buddies Samsung Blu-ray player (61" Samsung LED DLP set) and it looks fucking incredible. I bet I could walk 100 people in there and 95 or more wouldn't be able to tell the difference between it and the legit HD counterpart. What is there isn't worth replacing a DVD catalog over.

And what he's saying about the move from tape media to digital is also 100% accurate. It was a huge technological leap that required nothing more than the player and content. Blu-ray and HD-DVD don't offer anything anywhere near the technological updates DVD did and they require new, expensive television sets most people don't own in order to see any benefit whatsoever. That's not saying they don't offer any improvements or that the resolution increase isn't great for the tiny fraction of people with capable sets, but it's really nowhere near the jump that VHS to DVD was. Not even close. Not in the same ballpark, on the same planet, in the same universe.

Also, this thread isn't about gaming at all is it?

Vashu

Pristine_Condition said:
Oh brother... this is such a lame line.

Yeah, why would anyone buy anything HD, if they have no means of watching it properly? It makes no sense at all, and they should've stuck with the regular DVD to begin with. The discussion we are having is not regarding the use of an SD-TV, why would you if you plan to back a certain High-Def format.

If you have the means and finances to buy an early HD-DVD player as an early adoper, and a crapload of movies to begin with, you can also afford an HD-TV.

Kittonwy

Banned
Philanthropist said:
Spielberg movies are not included in the Paramount HD-DVD exclusive deal, which means they'll come to Blu-ray whenever they want to release them.

It's good that Senor Spielbergo haz teh foresight to know that Paramount was trying to back the losing format.
Indifferent2.gif

Crayon

Somewhere.... a nerd is literally sobbing over it right now.

Hundreds of them are never going to sign into their favorite forum again. Maybe under a different name later on...

Seriously, check yourself. If you are feeling a twinge of a "broken heart" over this news, then you are just a...

ATTENTION SAD LITTLE MAN:

You are into your toys and have been playing a little game that is not too different than fantasy football. Some of you won, some of you lost. Now it's over so you should take a second to laugh at yourself and be a good loser, even a bit of a gentleman, instead of burying us sane people all up to our asses in bitter tears and sour grapes.

Pristine_Condition said:
Um, I've got a serious question about that. Honestly, I'm not trying to snark it up or anything...

Are those discs in HD? I mean, was the original series filmed and scanned, or videotaped and somehow upscaled and processed?

Tell me what the deal is with this collection and why you would want it in an HD format. I honestly don't know anything about this release, other than it's on the shelves, and I am curious what it offers over the DVD set. I'm not much of a fan of the original series, but I have a buddy who is avid.

The Original Series was shot and produced on 35mm film (just like, you know, most movies), so you can scan it into a variety of video formats including high-definition.

By contrast, the produced episodes of The Next Generation only exist as standard-definition 480i video. The earlier seasons don't even exist in component analog video source, only composite Betacam analog video.

B-Ri

urk said:
Dude, why are people so upset? I see nothing crazy about what Xavien posted. In fact, I recently watched the 300 DVD upscaled to 1080p on my buddies Samsung Blu-ray player (61" Samsung LED DLP set) and it looks fucking incredible. I bet I could walk 100 people in there and 95 or more wouldn't be able to tell the difference between it and the legit HD counterpart. What is there isn't worth replacing a DVD catalog over.

And what he's saying about the move from tape media to digital is also 100% accurate. It was a huge technological leap that required nothing more than the player and content. Blu-ray and HD-DVD don't offer anything anywhere near the technological updates DVD did and they require new, expensive television sets most people don't own in order to see any benefit whatsoever. That's not saying they don't offer any improvements or that the resolution increase isn't great for the tiny fraction of people with capable sets, but it's really nowhere near the jump that VHS to DVD was. Not even close. Not in the same ballpark, on the same planet, in the same universe.

Also, this thread isn't about gaming at all is it?

you need to stop lying to yourself too, there are VERY visible differences.

IF HD-DVD won you wouldnt be seeing me saying dvd upscale look just as good, cause its a god damned lie, nor would i relish in DD coming soon.

Pimpwerx

watership said:
The HD-DVD group was indeed devastated by this announcement. And really Warner should have announced this better. Right After Christmas? Right before CES? Ouch ouch ouch. I'm actually really bitter about the fact that Blu-ray is winning, because it's my opinion that the Blu-ray group has caused this whole format war in the first place. And I still think that interactive features of HD-DVD far outweigh Blu-Ray's terrible BD-java.

This really sets the stage for the NEXT format war though. Because there is going to be one, since every attempt to avoid one this time failed. And It so bugs me that everyone thinks that HD-DVD is the kid who should have given up early and gone home when it really was the right choice. DVD-forum was founded to avoid future format wars by allow companies to come together with technology and ideas to avoid the format wars that plagued the 70s and 80s. DVD came out of that group, as did HD-DVD. Despite the DVD Forum's efforts to avoid a format war and broker a single format under HD-DVD, Blu-Ray split off and we were left with the mess of the past 2 and 1/2 years.

However, if you own a PS3 you're feeling pretty good right now.

Update: Let me amend this comment with saying that if the format war is now over and blu-ray is the winner, lets just move one and accept it. But I still blame Sony. :)
BluRay is the better technology, period. It is capable of storing movies that support the highest resolution supported by the new generation of tvs (which will last decades thanks to broadcasters). I believe that even when deep color tvs come out, there is enough capacity to fit it all on a single disc (I think all BD players can read quad-layered discs (100GB). Fuck HD-DVD. It's inferior capacity doomed it from the start. This is storage, and fancy menus mean shit for that. I've been dancing on HD-DVD's grave before a disc was ever stamped. PEACE.

B-Ri said:

IF HD-DVD won you wouldnt be seeing me saying dvd upscale look just as good, cause its a god damned lie, nor would i relish in DD coming soon.

Which does nothing to respond to the critical part of his post:

It was a huge technological leap that required nothing more than the player and content. Blu-ray and HD-DVD don't offer anything anywhere near the technological updates DVD did and they require new, expensive television sets most people don't own in order to see any benefit whatsoever.

This is the main hurdle between Blu-Ray and the Mainstream. It was never HD-DVD.

Feel to take that as a response to this:

Pimpwerx said:
BluRay is the better technology, period. It is capable of storing movies that support the highest resolution supported by the new generation of tvs (which will last decades thanks to broadcasters). I believe that even when deep color tvs come out, there is enough capacity to fit it all on a single disc (I think all BD players can read quad-layered discs (100GB). Fuck HD-DVD. It's inferior capacity doomed it from the start. This is storage, and fancy menus mean shit for that. I've been dancing on HD-DVD's grave before a disc was ever stamped. PEACE.

...as well.

beermonkey@tehbias said:
The Original Series was shot and produced on 35mm film (just like, you know, most movies), so you can scan it into a variety of video formats including high-definition.

By contrast, the produced episodes of The Next Generation only exist as standard-definition 480i video. The earlier seasons don't even exist in component analog video source, only composite Betacam analog video.

Cool! Thanks for the info.

B-Ri

blu-ray players require HDTVs, but no ones going out to buy blu-ray players WITHOUT an HDTV.

People are buying HDTVs, why? they want HD content. Whats the natural progression? Well once you spend all that cashload on an HDTV youre going to feed it SD content?

Guys, its a natural progression, as much as a VHS tape to DVD was a technological leap, so its the quality and storage differences in a blu-ray disc.

Stop stop stop damage controlling this. Just because blu-ray won there is NOOOO need to try and downplay it now.

What i wonder is if your stance on HD Media discs was the same while the war was still on going.

LowParry

B-Ri said:
blu-ray players require HDTVs, but no ones going out to buy blu-ray players WITHOUT an HDTV.

People are buying HDTVs, why? they want HD content. Whats the natural progression? Well once you spend all that cashload on an HDTV youre going to feed it SD content?

Guys, its a natural progression, as much as a VHS tape to DVD was a technological leap, so its the quality and storage differences in a blu-ray disc.

Stop stop stop damage controlling this. Just because blu-ray won there is NOOOO need to try and downplay it now.

What i wonder is if your stance on HD Media discs was the same while the war was still on going.

The thing is, we won't be seeing a larger hd penetration within the market til I say the end of 2009. By then HD sets will be affordable and hd content will be just the same. 2009 is my prediction of when HD really takes off.

B-Ri

CcrooK said:
The thing is, we won't be seeing a larger hd penetration within the market til I say the end of 2009. By then HD sets will be affordable and hd content will be just the same. 2009 is my prediction of when HD really takes off.

did i say it was going to defeat DVD in a day?

DVD didnt defeat VHS in a day.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
B-Ri said:

How 'bout before you go calling everyone who doesn't agree with you a liar, you read the fucking post. I clearly stated visible differences existed. You're the one being disingenuous.

Believe whatever you want. You've clearly made up your mind. There's really no point discussing it with you.

And I didn't buy either format, because I could see this kinda "fuck the old consumer right up the poopshoot" move coming from a million light years out. For that reason, I've stuck to digital downloads for almost all of my HD movie consumption and I'm more than happy with that.

My point is simply that most consumers are not going to see the chasm of difference between DVD and Blu-ray. Hell, there are STILL people watching VHS. HD adoption is picking up, but it's nowhere near mainstream yet and it won't be for several more years. Blu-ray is nice if you're looking for the elite home movie experience. No doubt. But it's not going to sell tens of millions of Playstation 3's. I think that's clear to anyone without clouded vision.

And with that, I'm out. Boon.

B-Ri

urk said:
My point is simply that most consumers are not going to see the chasm of difference between DVD and Blu-ray. Hell, there are STILL people watching VHS. HD adoption is picking up, but it's nowhere near mainstream yet and it won't be for several more years. Blu-ray is nice if you're looking for the elite home movie experience. No doubt. But it's not going to sell tens of millions of Playstation 3's. I think that's clear to anyone without clouded vision.

And with that, I'm out. Boon.

consumers wont see the difference?

of course they will. When they go get their shiny TVs at best buy, their going to get upsold and informed on HD media.

When they go home and plug it in, see SD content and call their cable provider for HD service, theyll see a difference.

When they watch TV and see commercials marketing true high def picture on blu-ray, and go in store to see the difference, theyll see the difference.

Guys, stop it.

CcrooK said:

It better because it becomes standard in 2010.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
painey said:
im sure rand knows enough about consoles librarys, hell, he's played (and got 1000 gamerpoints) on more shovelware than you've probably ever heard of :lol
That basically confirms he really hasn't paid much attention to the PS3 library then. ;)

B-Ri said:
consumers wont see the difference?

of course they will. When they go get their shiny TVs at best buy, their going to get upsold and informed on HD media.

When they go home and plug it in, see SD content and call their cable provider for HD service, theyll see a difference.

When they watch TV and see commercials marketing true high def picture on blu-ray, and go in store to see the difference, theyll see the difference.

Guys, stop it.

I understand a lot of people who invested in the other format are upset, but why are some starting to make claims that there's little difference between dvd and bd? It's not like dvd's are going anywhere anytime soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom