• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boon to the PS3? Warner Bros goes Blu-Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.

matticus

knitoe said:
Watch PE all the time on PS3. Yeah. There are difference, but nothing compare to going from VHS > DVD. If wanted to put it into relative number, VHS > DVD = 10. DVD > BR = 3-4.

The PQ on the first generation DVDs was only marginally better than VHS (save for normal analog wear). I expect Blu-Ray's PQ to get better as time goes on as well (it already has a great deal). 1080p Planet Earth on a good LCD is sex.

matticus said:
The PQ on the first generation DVDs was only marginally better than VHS (save for normal analog wear). I expect Blu-Ray's PQ to get better as time goes on as well (it already has a great deal). 1080p Planet Earth on a good LCD is sex.

When it comes to HD television shows, that's where the difference is really big. Aren't movies actually lagging behind a lot of hd television in overall picture quality? I have been holding off on purchasing Lost/House and other series because I wanted to buy them on blu ray... cause the difference is astounding.

matticus

Byakuya769 said:
When it comes to HD television shows, that's where the difference is really big. Aren't movies actually lagging behind a lot of hd television in overall picture quality? I have been holding off on purchasing Lost/House and other series because I wanted to buy them on blu ray... cause the difference is astounding.

I think so. Planet Earth is one of the best PQ I've seen.

Supposedly over-the-air HDTV is the best quality you can get if you're able to get a good signal (I am not). But it also depends much on the source at that point.

watership

Pimpwerx said:
BluRay is the better technology, period. It is capable of storing movies that support the highest resolution supported by the new generation of tvs (which will last decades thanks to broadcasters). I believe that even when deep color tvs come out, there is enough capacity to fit it all on a single disc (I think all BD players can read quad-layered discs (100GB). Fuck HD-DVD. It's inferior capacity doomed it from the start. This is storage, and fancy menus mean shit for that. I've been dancing on HD-DVD's grave before a disc was ever stamped. PEACE.

umm. Okay.

gcubed said:
yes and no though, there is a definite boost of available bandwidth to cable companies who continue to carry around 70 analog channels (simulcast in digital for those with boxes) for the people who dont want a digital box. You will start seeing in the next 3 years those channels start disappearing from the analog side and move to digital only so that the cable co's can stay compeitive with the digital only telco's that are starting to make in roads into the industry.

Doesn't have anything to do with the 2009 analog shutoff. Cable's need to optimize their bandwidth exists regardless of what happens with OTA.

HiVision

pr0cs said:
those are pretty huge advantages and easily eclipse all the advantages of going from DVD->BD or HD-DVD. This is why I think the HD movie adoption rate hasn't been high and likely won't be until the sucessor to BD comes out or they do something with BD to make it a more obvious of an upgrade.

Um.. you're living in your own world there mate, during the first year of DVD the adoption rate wasn't actually that high and everyone was saying the same thing as you are now.

I, for one, can't abide watching DVDs with their shitty 4:3 box-o-vision anymore. Once you start watching HD content you really can't go back. Even with the nice dvd up-scaler that's in the PS3 I can't stand the resolution. When watching a wide-screen movie on DVD (which pretty much all movies are of course) you are getting a vertical resolution even lower than 480p, probably closer to about 320 (now that's getting close to the old CGA resolution on PCs in the late 80s!).

womfalcs3

Banned
CcrooK said:
Off topic, when does CES start? Curious to see what people come out saying out of CES after the whole Warner talk.

Gates' keynote is tomorrow night. I love and look forward to his speeches every year. This is no exception. I have the stream webpage bookmarked.

HiVision said:
When watching a wide-screen movie on DVD (which pretty much all movies are of course) you are getting a vertical resolution even lower than 480p, probably closer to about 320 (now that's getting close to the old CGA resolution on PCs in the late 80s!).

Commercially released widescreen DVDs are invariably encoded at 720x480. You have misinformation. Some are encoded better than others, and there are certainly many that have been filtered to soften the image, but your take on the situation just isn't accurate. I can pop in Digital Video Essentials on DVD and show you that my player and TV can resolve every last pixel of 720x480.

4:3 DVDs are also encoded at 720x480, FYI.

LowParry

womfalcs3 said:
Gates' keynote is tomorrow night. I love and look forward to his speeches every year. This is no exception. I have the stream webpage bookmarked.

So it officially starts tomorrow. Good deal. Hope to see Soul Calibur 4 revealed tomorrow. But that keynote yes, that's one to watch for sure.

gcubed

beermonkey@tehbias said:
Doesn't have anything to do with the 2009 analog shutoff. Cable's need to optimize their bandwidth exists regardless of what happens with OTA.

yes true, but i think the one poster was commenting on the extra space to cable once they go all digital, which there indeed will be. The general broadcasting bandwidth used by the broadcasters OTA are supposedly being reused for emergency response/first responders and i dont believe is even being auctioned.

pr0cs

HiVision said:
Um.. you're living in your own world there mate,
Yeah it's my opinion but also what I lived through. Once I saw the significant benefits of DVD it was obvious that it was set to surpass VHS. I couldn't tell the difference on the picture (likely due to the connection and TV) but the ability to instantly seek to a chapter, not have to rewind, interactive menus, etc it was a "must have" for anyone who watched movies.

HiVision said:
during the first year of DVD the adoption rate wasn't actually that high and everyone was saying the same thing as you are now.
Care to prove that? The adoption rate wasn't high because of cost, lack of information (no internet) and a myriad of other reasons. Anyone who saw DVD for the first time could instantly see the benefits of the format, unlike the change from DVD->HD now. The cost to entry is much higher now (HD TV, movie actually that takes advantage of HD, interactive features, etc). If you don't have everything "just so" then DVD->HD seems pointless.

HiVision

beermonkey@tehbias said:
Commercially released widescreen DVDs are invariably encoded at 720x480. You have misinformation. Some are encoded better than others, and there are certainly many that have been filtered to soften the image, but your take on the situation just isn't accurate. I can pop in Digital Video Essentials on DVD and show you that my player and TV can resolve every last pixel of 720x480.

4:3 DVDs are also encoded at 720x480, FYI.

Sorry, I wasn't talking about the format it was encoded in, I was talking about the format it tends to be output in from the average dvd player, I should have been clearer. Your average dvd player outputs a boxed in 720x320 or so image. Good dvd players have component outputs, but your average consumer is watching in box-o-vision via composite.

Of course the ps3 upscaler should be giving me a better resolution.. hmm.. but when I popped in the dvd of 2001 a day or so ago I couldn't watch it because the resolution was so bad.

I think I'm just HD-spoilt now.

KINGMOKU

I dont understand this move. I just got an HD-DVD player for my 360. Does Warner not want my money? The segment of the population embracing either format is so tiny, any sales you would think would be a boon.

Makes no sense to me at all. Do I return my HD-DVD player, and just say screw it to all high def movie formats, and just do digital distribution, wich will win anyway?

Bad move imo, and makes very little sense. The market for the high def format is so tiny, jumping ship doesnt seem to make sense.

Man I want that Blade runner HD DVD SET as well.

pr0cs said:
Yeah it's my opinion but also what I lived through. Once I saw the significant benefits of DVD it was obvious that it was set to surpass VHS. I couldn't tell the difference on the picture (likely due to the connection and TV) but the ability to instantly seek to a chapter, not have to rewind, interactive menus, etc it was a "must have" for anyone who watched movies.

Care to prove that? The adoption rate wasn't high because of cost, lack of information (no internet) and a myriad of other reasons. Anyone who saw DVD for the first time could instantly see the benefits of the format, unlike the change from DVD->HD now. The cost to entry is much higher now (HD TV, movie actually that takes advantage of HD, interactive features, etc). If you don't have everything "just so" then DVD->HD seems pointless.

Hmmm... If you consider the fact that no one has ever said "I hate higher resolution and I don't want it." then I would assume you agree that adoption is inevitable as long as pricing continues to go down.

Ergo, the only question is more of "when will uptake occur" rather than a discussion of its merits.

gcubed said:
The general broadcasting bandwidth used by the broadcasters OTA are supposedly being reused for emergency response/first responders and i dont believe is even being auctioned.

That is correct for a little less than 1/3 (24mhz out of 84mhz) of the total spectrum, not the whole thing.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
moku please don't tell me you bought a 360, hd dvd player, and movies just to spite sony

i know you're going to say "of course not"

but i have a feeling you really did

moku said:
I dont understand this move. I just got an HD-DVD player for my 360. Does Warner not want my money? The segment of the population embracing either format is so tiny, any sales you would think would be a boon.

Makes no sense to me at all. Do I return my HD-DVD player, and just say screw it to all high def movie formats, and just do digital distribution, wich will win anyway?

Bad move imo, and makes very little sense. The market for the high def format is so tiny, jumping ship doesnt seem to make sense.

It makes perfect sense in that they wanted to pick "one side" to focus all their efforts on it. This is no consolation to you but you have to admit if it went the other direction you wouldn't be very upset about it.

Anyways... You are free to go the Direct Download route if you choose as an early adopter of the technology.

moku said:

It makes tons of sense. Like you said the HD disk adopters right now are a tiny segment of the market, and that will never change as long as there are 2 formats. A lot of market research shows that consumers aren't willing to adopt until there's a single format.

With 1 format there is no consumer confusion, the marketing push can be uniform, and now retailers have a format to push to their consumers without upsetting either of the format holders.

Lightning

Banned
moku said:

Warner want there to be only 1 HD format and they have decided that format to be Bluray.

So yes, I advise you get rid of your HD-DVD player.

Loudninja

moku said:
I dont understand this move. I just got an HD-DVD player for my 360. Does Warner not want my money ? The segment of the population embracing either format is so tiny, any sales you would think would be a boon.

How does it not make sense?

KINGMOKU

Crushed said:
moku please don't tell me you bought a 360, hd dvd player, and movies just to spite sony

i know you're going to say "of course not"

but i have a feeling you really did
Absolutly not. My bro got it for me, as a gift. I love the damn thing. King Kong looks amazing. I want a PS3, but having dropped the money for an Elite(It was a tough decision, but Halo3 pushed me over the 360 edge) I will wait for a 299$ version of the PS3, as there isnt a single game that I "have to have" on the PS3. LBP will push me over the edge, and I hope it will be cheap by then.

In any event, I get movies on demand in HD, so having a high def movie player, of either format was pure luxury, and it looks as if worthless.

Just seems to me that ALL studios should be happy with any sales of high-def movies, as they are so tiny.

HiVision

pr0cs said:

I can understand your point regarding ease of use - vhs->dvd was like tape->cd, but where I beg to differ is dvd->bd isn't equivalent to cd->sacd.

I only own a 720p hdmi tv set and the difference is incredible, so it must be remarkable for people with 1080p. What size TV do you own? Try watching Planet Earth and it will change your mind. (I watched it at a friend's house in 1080p and it was jaw droppingly good)

FIREBABY

moku said:

Keep it as an upconvert dvd player. All of the studios should not have backed either format until they settled it in my opinion. This is Sony and Toshiba's fault. I own both formats and only because I like movies. Already bought Warner movies on blu-ray anyway so this is no news for me. And I will continue to buy HD dvd movies as long as they are released.

j-wood

I'm confused on everyone saying that blu-ray doesn't matter, because of digital distribution.

Do you not realize HOW far off that is from becoming a major medium? Not only will you need a MASSIVE storage space if it is your only means of media, but for the picture quality to be even remote close to the quality seen on physical based media, do you know how big the download will have to be? When you add that to the fact that the United States internet speeds (compared to other countries such as Japan) are incredibly low. The highest speed offered in my area is 10 megs, which is close to 80 bucks a month for internet alone.

An entire system of digital distribution is LONG ways off. With that said, I think that Blu-Ray will be the last major disc media we see before all that changes over. I'm not saying that blu-ray will only be around for 2-3 years before this happens either. DVDs have been the main media for what, almost 10 years now? Blu-Ray will be around for at least that long, and then DD will move into place.

moku said:
Absolutly not. My bro got it for me, as a gift. I love the damn thing. King Kong looks amazing. I want a PS3, but having dropped the money for an Elite(It was a tough decision, but Halo3 pushed me over the 360 edge) I will wait for a 299$ version of the PS3, as there isnt a single game that I "have to have" on the PS3. LBP will push me over the edge, and I hope it will be cheap by then.

In any event, I get movies on demand in HD, so having a high def movie player, of either format was pure luxury, and it looks as if worthless.

Just seems to me that ALL studios should be happy with any sales of high-def movies, as they are so tiny.

Suit yourself. I just got Spiderman Trilogy and 300 on Blu-ray and am happy as punch.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
i dont like digital distrubution, i want my bluray/dvd based mediums tbfh. Digital distrubition is years old, only its free if you know how to pirate stuff :lol

KINGMOKU

Loudninja said:
How does it not make sense?
I dont know, everyone else with an HD-DVD player that will throw thier hands up, and be pissed off, and give up on high-def players that are in no way a nessecity to watch high-def content?

The fact remains that I can watch any movie, in high-def without a high-def player. I ended up with an HD-DVD player, as a gift. Now that its dead, the whole format thing dies with it. When I end up with a PS3, I guess I will begin anew. Man my brother is pissed off right now.

Good intentions. :(

Loudninja

moku said:
I dont know, everyone else with an HD-DVD player that will throw thier hands up, and be pissed off, and give up on high-def players that are in no way a nessecity to watch high-def content?

The fact remains that I can watch any movie, in high-def without a high-def player. I ended up with an HD-DVD player, as a gift. Now that its dead, the whole format thing dies with it. When I end up with a PS3, I guess I will begin anew. Man my brother is pissed off right now.

Its not like they are going to stop release Warner movies on HD-DVD right away .

pr0cs

HiVision said:
I can understand your point regarding ease of use - vhs->dvd was like tape->cd, but where I beg to differ is dvd->bd isn't equivalent to cd->sacd.
I'm not saying DVD->BD isn't a jump, just that it's no where near what VHS->DVD was and for casual people to get on board it will need to be. Eventually people will switch over, likely from pressure from the studios but it won't be anywhere near as fast as VHS->DVD.

HiVision said:
I only own a 720p hdmi tv set and the difference is incredible, so it must be remarkable for people with 1080p. What size TV do you own? Try watching Planet Earth and it will change your mind. (I watched it at a friend's house in 1080p and it was jaw droppingly good)
That is my point.
1) get a HD TV
2) watch movie X (because it's not as obvious with movie Y)
3) even better is to watch it under this circumstance for the 'best' solution.

I have a HDTV and a great setup but I haven't bought into a HD movie format because there just isn't enough reason for me to. Yeah I enjoy the movies in HD but there isn't enough reason for me to invest in it when I'm happy with DVD for now.
If I'm not buying into a format and I consider myself reasonably AV savvy you can bet that your casual joe-blow walmart shopper isn't going to give a shit at all.

FLEABttn

Banned
moku said:

Kind of like how video on demand and pay per view (which is like what, 20 years old now?) killed off the VHS and DVD.

Right?

Ponn

Banned
moku said:

It's almost like you are intentionally ignoring 40 pages of debate that has covered all these issues ad nauseum and just want to drag this thread back around into another circle.

Well Didn't MSFT mention in the past that if they wanted to they could naufacture a BluRay DVD add-on for the XBox360, if the market leaned that way. I swear I remember reading that in an interview in the spring of 2007. Can't wait to hear an MSFT response.......

HiVision

j-wood said:
DVDs have been the main media for what, almost 10 years now? Blu-Ray will be around for at least that long, and then DD will move into place.

Funny how good memories are long:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD

DVD only started beating VHS in 2003 rentals-wise, and when the PS2 was launched around 2000/2001 your average joe didn't even know what dvd was... and the majority of people started watching dvds on their ps2s.

So DVD has been successful and the "main media" for around 6 years - it was around before then but it certainly wasn't mainstream.

Looks like Harry Knowles (aintitcoolnews) finally bit the bullet and got himself a blu-ray player.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/35202

For the first 3 weeks this noob was watching blu-rays using standard-def cables: :lol

"Until 2 days ago - I had only 11 Blu Ray titles - as the player was hooked via standard def cables into an outmoded ONKYO Receiver"

2 days ago he finally gets around to getting his gear updated to true HD spec:

"First title I put in? CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND - Blu Ray... For weeks I've wanted to watch this disc, but with the ports I had available - it looked like normal broadcast fuzzy television. Sadness. Through the DENON and the EPSON projector... it sprung to life in a way I have never seen. Crystal clarity and the 7.1 surround with that sound... my god... it was beautiful. I watched the "light show" part of the film, then put in RATATOUILLE - wanting to see Pixar converted - and frankly - what blew my mind was the BLU RAY trailer for SLEEPING BEAUTY - due out Fall of 2008. GODDAMNIT, PUT IT OUT NOW!"

But fear not HD-DVD supporters - Harry thinks the format can still bounce back:

"I know the good folks at HD DVD, and it'll be fascinating to see how they bounce back from this blow. Losing WARNER BROTHERS isn't quite the kiss of death, but it is a blow that needs immediate miraculous attention. "

Rody

moku said:

wat

Every part involved in this needed a definition. If anything, having a "winner" will only make things better (for the consumers and for the studios).

B-Ri

harry should just tell his readers to drop the format, stop prolonging the war and stop teasing people who look at him for opinions and guidance.

HiVision

pr0cs said:
I'm not saying DVD->BD isn't a jump, just that it's no where near what VHS->DVD was and for casual people to get on board it will need to be. Eventually people will switch over, likely from pressure from the studios but it won't be anywhere near as fast as VHS->DVD.

That is my point.
1) get a HD TV
2) watch movie X (because it's not as obvious with movie Y)
3) even better is to watch it under this circumstance for the 'best' solution.

I have a HDTV and a great setup but I haven't bought into a HD movie format because there just isn't enough reason for me to. Yeah I enjoy the movies in HD but there isn't enough reason for me to invest in it when I'm happy with DVD for now.
If I'm not buying into a format and I consider myself reasonably AV savvy you can bet that your casual joe-blow walmart shopper isn't going to give a shit at all.

Mmm.. I think you underestimate Mr Joe-Blow and you are selling yourself short too.
1) is obvious but 2) is silly, I only suggested Planet Earth because of the superbness of it in general (not just the HD side), choose any BD you like, I haven't seen one that hasn't been amazing. 3) I didn't specify any particular circumstance.

Anyway, maybe it does depend on the content you watch? Or the distance you sit from the TV, or the size of the TV etc., /shrugs

At the end of the day you are obviously going to stick to dvds, but, and it's just my personal preference, I no longer buy dvds and am sticking to BDs.

B-Ri

HiVision said:
At the end of the day you are obviously going to stick to dvds, but, and it's just my personal preference, I no longer buy dvds and am sticking to BDs.

i bought my parents an HDTV 1080p with a PS3, surround sound, harmony and blu-ray remote, taught them how to use it.

My mom is in LOVE with her TV, she loves the picture shes getting from HD broadcasts.

Her, my aunt, and my sister are now familiar with the blu-ray cases and have come home with blu-ray movies.

this is my mother who up until recently still records on her VHS tapes. Shes in love with the quality, and i dont see her going back.

HiVision

B-Ri said:
this is my mother who up until recently still records on her VHS tapes. Shes in love with the quality, and i dont see her going back.

That's interesting - there might still be a substantial no. of people still using VHS eh? The jump from VHS to DVD wasn't enough for them but the jump from VHS to BD must be totally mind-blowing.

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
j-wood said:
Do you not realize HOW far off that is from becoming a major medium? Not only will you need a MASSIVE storage space if it is your only means of media, but for the picture quality to be even remote close to the quality seen on physical based media, do you know how big the download will have to be?

I don't know...those x264 1080p mkv files look pretty goddamn excellent--at around 8 gigs a piece. I will agree that the relatively small bandwidth available to most consumers will be a hindrance.

B-Ri

HiVision said:
That's interesting - there might still be a substantial no. of people still using VHS eh? The jump from VHS to DVD wasn't enough for them but the jump from VHS to BD must be totally mind-blowing.

no she just never wanted to give Cox communications more money for DVR, and every DVD-Recorder we tried purchasing never worked right. She works and she misses her soaps, so shes programmed VCRs to record them for her.

Thankfully HD service came with a DVR, so shes all fine now.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
I love the Campaign HD website:

Warner has been promised $500 for their support of Bluray and dropping HD DVD! Yes, that's HALF A BILLION DOLLARS!!

138049899_d8fe3f53bc_o.jpg

sakuragi

Banned
Wait a minute. So now that their format of choice is dead, they quickly changed their tunes and are now championing digital distribution :lol . This is hilarious.

People are saying that Blu-ray will take a long time in order for it to take the crown from DVD. But guess what, digital distribution will even take longer because: 1- Internet connections suck, 2- Larger hardrives are still too expensive, 3- Even if digital distribution takes off soon, a physical format must still exist for people who prefer to purchase movies physically.

The third point is very important. For example; even though we currently have steam, where people could download games via online, we still could buy those games which are offered via steam in retailers as well. It is important to give the consumers choices and different methods to purchase whatever they want. So even if digital distribution is the preferred method of purchasing high def movies ( long way off) there will always be a physical format to complement it in retails. Also, while DD is the preferred method to purchase movies in country 'X', this doesn't necessarily holds true for country 'Y'

Blu-ray is here to stay whether you like it or not, and its popularity will be further boosted with every purchase of the PS3. Blu-ray became relevant to the world the moment it was announced to come standard with the PS3. Yes it was a fucking genius decision and HD-DVD never really had a chance.

Don't know if it's been posted.

Michael Bay said:
Well another studio down. Maybe I was right? Blu ray is just better. HD will die a slow death. It's what I predicted a year ago. Now with Warner's down for the count with Blu Ray. That makes it easier for Wal-Mart to push Blu Ray. And whatever Wal-Mart pushes - wins. Hd better start giving out those $120 million dollars checks to stay alive. Maybe they can give me some so I can give it to my Make-A-Wish charity, just to shut me up. Have faith people Transformers will come out in Blu-ray one day!

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=807

M3wThr33

Banned
Mooreberg said:
I love the Campaign HD website:

From the bitchfest:
Worse, if Fox and Warner truly accepted the sums of money being indicated, then it makes a mockery of ALL of their public statements that "the consumer has chosen Bluray", in our opinion.
:lol :lol
So sad.

Also, how would have Fox handled a switch to HD-DVD? There's no region protection, something they seem to love.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom