• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boon to the PS3? Warner Bros goes Blu-Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eteric Rice said:
I just didn't like their attitude much early on is all.

Though I suppose they have been put in their place, but still.
Well, I'm surely glad you are doing the right thing by not getting a PS3 and giving Sony your money. That's showing them. Badd attitudes gets you no where...

Although by buying a stand alone player and Blu-Ray discs your money goes to Sony anyway, but hey, peace of mind man... peace of mind.

Eteric Rice

BlackGoku03 said:
Well, I'm surely glad you are doing the right thing by not getting a PS3 and giving Sony your money. That's showing them. Badd attitudes gets you no where...

Although by buying a stand alone player and Blu-Ray discs your money goes to Sony anyway, but hey, peace of mind man... peace of mind.

I shall find a way!

Maybe a used one? :D

this is the big win for the ps3. sony gambled by putting blu-ray in the ps3 which made it cost more but if they can get blu-ray to win and lag around 2nd place with the ps3 i'd say they did pretty well.

llTll

Banned
Eteric Rice said:
Pretty much Wii60 all the way atm. :D
thats why he called you fanboy

honestly tho. i think every system is good this gen. no system is bad choice. so if Wii360 is what u like. then i would say good for u

but you really should buy PS3 this year. try to sell some of your games you dont want and get ur self a used PS3 or something.

you really cant miss PS3 in 2008.

antiloop

Battersea Power Station said:
Maybe it's a call to all parties to start looking at debates rationally. Maybe half of the people labeled as fanboys in console wars were not actually. Maybe some people labeled as pro-HD-DVD or anti-Sony (as I probably will be after my last few posts) are not really. Occam's razor and all that.

Personally, a change to a different kind of physical medium is ridiculous. In the long run, renting is a better financial decision. If I buy 300 on Blu Ray or on whatever it's available in HD because it looks OMG SO AWESOME, I'm still only going to watch it twice. It's an average movie at best and I don't care about it that much. Note that I'm not picking on 300 but used it as an example of my buying/viewing habits.

On the occasion that I want to watch a movie more than 3 or 4 times, it will still come out cheaper to rent it each time as part of my Netflix or Blockbuster online queue than to buy it.

I think most consumers' habits are not too different, even if their tastes in movies are.

The only bad thing about renting is the hassle of juggling, receiving, and returning disks. Once we can get rid of that, it will be perfect FOR ME.

I don't hope to convince anyone of anything than that we can have a rational discussion without calling people anti- this or pro- that.

This I don't agree with. For the quality to be equal I have to download 25-50 GB. (2 Mbit connection)
No chance in hell I would count on my harddrive not to fail me. A disc (blu-ray) will survive for 20+ years. A harddrive may last 5-7 years. Plus harddrives are prone to errors in my experience.

You are the problem in the world today if you think it's a hassle to rent stuff from a real life store. It's a nice alternative though to use the Internet, especially if you don't care about the quality.

Eteric Rice said:
I shall find a way!

Maybe a used one? :D
A used PS3 is better than no PS3.

You don't even need to buy games, it's great for the functionality and the updates. It's the top rated Blu-Ray player and it loads a hell of a lot faster than the stand alone models. It's just better, plain and simple. If you get a good deal on a used one, get it.

B-Ri

or he could stop fronting and just get one.

i dont know what additude he speaks of, but its not like the other two havent made shody moves themselves.

but alas, anything that sony does on the same level is a million times worse then others apparently.

antiloop said:
This I don't agree with. For the quality to be equal I have to download 25-50 GB. (2 Mbit connection)
No chance in hell I would count on my harddrive not to fail me. A disc (blu-ray) will survive for 20+ years. A harddrive may last 5-7 years. Plus harddrives are prone to errors in my experience.

You are the problem in the world today if you think it's a hassle to rent stuff from a real life store.
I don't think he and people like him understand that having a movie streamed to your home is not good enough for a lot of people. Owning a physical copy is always better than owning it on your cable box.

What happens if your cable box fails? No more movies. What happens if your connection sucks? No movies. What happens if your connection drops? No more movies. What happens if you go to another cable company... no more movies.

A physical copy of a high def movie is always better than a digital download or a streamed one. On demand shit has been around for years and it's not close to replacing DVDs. It's more of a rental system, which is good for what it is. Still, people like having their movies on their shelves.

JCBossman

Banned
antiloop said:

You are the problem in the world today if you think it's a hassle to rent stuff from a real life store. It's a nice alternative though to use the Internet, especially if you don't care about the quality.

Thats WAY too harsh. I know ALOT of people like him, they would rent their clothes if they could, nothing wrong with that. Also having a service to D/L from a giant movie catalog is the NEXT gen in the rental market.I don't wanna waste 45 minutes going to and from a Blockbusters to find my movie out of stock, or it's snowing, or i am lazy(most likely:lol )

JCBossman said:
Thats WAY too harsh. I know ALOT of people like him, they would rent their clothes if they could, nothing wrong with that. Also having a service to D/L from a giant movie catalog is the NEXT gen in the rental market.I don't wanna waste 45 minutes going to and from a Blockbusters to find my movie out of stock, or it's snowing, or i am lazy(most likely:lol )
Yeah, but that's for rentals... people think this rental system is supposed to replace OWNING movies. That's why I laugh at people like that. Not everyone wants to rent a movie, a lot of people like to own it.

Eteric Rice

Philanthropist said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvE_dONJIWU

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

That's not a real commercial, right?

B-Ri said:
or he could stop fronting and just get one.

i dont know what additude he speaks of, but its not like the other two havent made shody moves themselves.

but alas, anything that sony does on the same level is a million times worse then others apparently.

The, "We'll sell the first 6 million with no games/ people will get a second job" attitude. Didn't care for it, voting with my wallet.

JCBossman

Banned
BlackGoku03 said:
Yeah, but that's for rentals... people think this rental system is supposed to replace OWNING movies. That's why I laugh at people like that. Not everyone wants to rent a movie, a lot of people like to own it.

Sure, I like to own 10% or so of the movies i watch, Optical discs and DD will coexist like peanut butter and Fried banana's

Eteric Rice said:
The, "We'll sell the first 6 million with no games/ people will get a second job" attitude. Didn't care for it, voting with my wallet.

But buying Blu-Ray movies and a player isn't... gotcha.

And things have changed... it's an entirely different situation right now and the person who said those things... no longer has a job.

JCBossman said:
Sure, I like to own 10% or so of the movies i watch, Optical discs and DD will coexist like peanut butter and Fried banana's
Yeah, they can and will co exist like they are now. However the DD market will never replace the DVD and High Def market. That's silly.

Eteric Rice said:
Ah, yes. But you forget that I will likely buy them used. :p
Fight the power.

Eteric Rice

BlackGoku03 said:

But buying Blu-Ray movies and a player isn't... gotcha.

Ah, yes. But you forget that I will likely buy them used. :p

(I buy a majority of my DVDs used, so it wouldn't be a big difference.)

B-Ri

Eteric Rice said:
That's not a real commercial, right?

so some pr douche said that and suddenly its all over?

I guess you took "things break" and "negligible 3-5% failure rate" in stride?

Stop fronting, seriously.

lupinko

For those that want to buy a Bluray player that is not a PS3, the best one out right now would be the Panasonic DMP-BD30.

- It is Profile 1.1 compliant.
- It can do both DolbyTrueHD AND DTS-HD Master Audio (currently the PS3 cannot do DTS-HD Master Audio and only extracts the DTS-HD core at 1.5mbps)

Generally favourable reviews and well built, not problematic like Samsung's current line of BD players.

Profile 1.1 is the final mandatory profile. Profile 2.0 which brings in internet connectivity is just optional since not everything or everyone needs / cares about internet connectivity.

Profile 1.0 players can play the movies at 1080p and all the traditional special features.

Anyway CES is in a day, so you can expect more new BD players to be announced. Funai already did so with their 1.1 player. =)

deepbrown said:
Didn't know that Fox and Warner were being groomed to be HD-DVD exclusive as near as last week. Weird

It just seems to be speculation. Though if its true it just shows how serious Sony is about winning this that they convinced both of them so quickly to stay on board.

deepbrown

SolidSnakex said:
It just seems to be speculation. Though if its true it just shows how serious Sony is about winning this that they convinced both of them so quickly to stay on board.
Things would look very different if they'd moved to HD-DVD.

chart_two-copy.jpg

http://www.ripten.com/2008/01/05/pie-charts-show-true-impact-of-warners-move/

acabado

Banned
Toshiba loss is not compared to what could be if Sony had lost. Imagine both BD and PS3 losing their appeal,these could be desastruous.

I'm really happy that's over,and I feel comfortable to buy more BD movies.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
SolidSnakex said:

I don't think anything happened so quickly, really..a lot of these insiders may have been tuned into the HD-DVD camp, getting info filtered through there, lacking the visibility of what was going on on the Blu-ray side. I would say every studio was being courted/convinced/cajoled by both sides for some time..I don't think Sony swooped in at the last minute to start making an effort.

HD-DVD insiders might have thought it a done deal, but clearly it wasn't.

gofreak said:
I don't think anything happened so quickly, really..a lot of these insiders may have been tuned into the HD-DVD camp, getting info filtered through there, lacking the visibility of what was going on on the Blu-ray side. I would say every studio was being courted/convinced/cajoled by both sides for some time..I don't think Sony swooped in at the last minute to start making an effort.

HD-DVD insiders might have thought it a done deal, but clearly it wasn't.

You're probably right. When you look at that chart that deepbrown posted, that'd basically been the nightmare scenario for everyone on board HD media in general. It would've became completely fractured and would've been drawn out for too long. With BR already having most of the support, that one move by WB pretty much seals the deal.

Apparently New Line is also BD exclusive now?

http://www.psu.com/New-Line-Cinema-abandons-HD-DVD---a0002304-p0.php

Soon after the announcement of Warner Bros. supporting Blu-ray exclusively, subsidiary studio New Line Cinema stated it will follow suit and join Warner Bros. in leaving HD-DVD.

Now even though both these studios are moving to Blu-ray only, New Line Cinema and Warner Bros. are still under contract to release titles on HD-DVD until May 2008.

For those of you with stand-alone Blu-ray players or PlayStation 3's, you can now look forward to the following releases:

- Lord of the Rings Trilogy
- Golden Compass
- Gears of War (Movie)
- Austin Powers

More on Blu-ray and its rising domination of the HD movie market soon.

Source: DVD Town

Talk about irony..

Sorry if old, just saw it this morning thanks to a friend.

gkryhewy

SolidSnakex said:
You're probably right. When you look at that chart that deepbrown posted, that'd basically been the nightmare scenario for everyone on board HD media in general.

Well, no, if fox and WB had both gone HD, Disney would have been the only BRD major aside from the Sony studios. Fox and WB both going HD would have been a relatively quick end to the war, just going the other way.

Ponn

Banned
gkrykewy said:
Well, no, if fox and WB had both gone HD, Disney would have been the only BRD major aside from the Sony studios. Fox and WB both going HD would have been a relatively quick end to the war, just going the other way.

Sony is a movie studio though. They would never drop BRD just like that. UMD movies on PSP is a good example of that.

gkryhewy

Ponn01 said:
Sony is a movie studio though. They would never drop BRD just like that. UMD movies on PSP is a good example of that.

Right, but they would not be able to prop up the format on their own. Obviously it's moot anyway.

deepbrown

DO you know what's going to end this even quicker? The PERCEIVED death of HD-DVD because of Warner's move. Paramounts move was huge but noone took that much notice - Warner moves and every site, whether interested in the format war or not, screams the death of HD-DVD.

This is what will kill HD-DVD. Perception.

HiVision

deepbrown said:
DO you know what's going to end this even quicker? The PERCEIVED death of HD-DVD because of Warner's move. Paramounts move was huge but noone took that much notice - Warner moves and every site, whether interested in the format war or not, screams the death of HD-DVD.

This is what will kill HD-DVD. Perception.

It was already dead everywhere really - I mean, if more HD-DVD movies had been selling than BD for some part of last year then I could understand a change in perception, but in reality the people buying HD-DVD were deluding themselves, week-in week-out BD was out-selling HD-DVD, for an entire year... and the hd-dvd consortium resorting to paying one of the movie companies 100s of millions of dollars to go exclusive, that was a bad sign of desperation. The WB decision is just the final nail in the coffin, it'll sink under over the next few weeks with Toshiba announcing their (contingency-planned) exit strategy.

Well.

Looks like when my dad goes to an HD set up, with the HDTV, surround sound, and HD player (and who knows what else) looks like I know what HD player to recommend.

deepbrown

HiVision said:
It was already dead everywhere really - I mean, if more HD-DVD movies had been selling than BD for some part of last year then I could understand a change in perception, but in reality the people buying HD-DVD were deluding themselves, week-in week-out BD was out-selling HD-DVD, for an entire year... and the hd-dvd consortium resorting to paying one of the movie companies 100s of millions of dollars to go exclusive, that was a bad sign of desperation. The WB decision is just the final nail in the coffin, it'll sink under over the next few weeks with Toshiba announcing their (contingency-planned) exit strategy.
Consumers don't look at sales - they look at a projected perception from the media. Before this it was generally "there are two formats, choose which you want"

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
womfalcs3 said:
Isn't the God of War movie supposed to be HD-DVD exclusive? I think it's Universal.

:lol nice try ..

but no , nothing about about God of War movie announced yet , even in his blog Jaffe didn't post the name of the producer .

and if you think Sony Picture/Colombia will let any one else to touch Kratos then you've gone all delusional.

pr0cs

supermackem said:
So he would say the same about bluray too then?? seeing as they are the same pq and aq.
Yeah, he chose a format and picked the loser. It was easier to choose for him since he had the 360 already but I told him it was foolish to invest so heavily, esp when he wasn't impressed with the HD offerings thus far.
I would have said it was a waste of money to buy that many movies in BD as well.

womfalcs3

Banned
Totobeni said:
:lol nice try ..

but no , nothing about about God of War movie announced yet , even in his blog Jaffe didn't post the name of the producer .

and if you think Sony Picture/Colombia will let any one else to touch Kratos then you've gone all delusional.

I was just amused at the fact the reverse is taking place in the movie industry as opposed to the gaming one. The exclusivity is switched.

Falagard

HiVision said:

I'm sure it's been said a thousand times already, but Blu-Ray outselling HD-DVD over the last year didn't mean much because both formats were selling insignificant numbers. Once a player came out that was in the $100 to $150 range, Joe 6 pack decides he'll buy one from Walmart and that's when the numbers start to matter.

So, let's assume that Blu-Ray has won and HD-DVD is going to silently slip away. When am I going to see a Blu-Ray player for $150? I could have picked up an HD-DVD player this weekend for that price, but Blu-Ray is $400 for the PS3 or $499 for a standalone. Now I have to wait for however long it takes for the prices of Blu-Ray players to drop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom