• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boon to the PS3? Warner Bros goes Blu-Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snah

Banned
Blu-Ray is a much better name.

No confusion with HD upconversion players or DVDs.

Sounds more high tech.

2 syllables as opposed to 5.

Snah said:

Sounds more high tech.

No it isnt it sounds like some sort of fish i shouldnt go near.:lol

smurfx

get some go again
blu ray should change it's name to Kittonwy and then everyone would love it.
gladtomeetya.gif

I'm glad that Warner made a choice because I've been wanting to jump into high-def playback for a while, but I find it odd that you guys think this will have any significance in the long run.

The war was over not at the Warner announcement, but when Netflix/LG announced a set-top OnDemand box. Convenience will beat out cutting-edge technology any day of the week.

Snah

Banned
Battersea Power Station said:
I'm glad that Warner made a choice because I've been wanting to jump into high-def playback for a while, but I find it odd that you guys think this will have any significance in the long run.

The war was over not at the Warner announcement, but when Netflix/LG announced a set-top OnDemand box. Convenience will beat out cutting-edge technology any day of the week.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

they're not even competing for the same market.

Snah

Banned
That's true. Sony is trying really hard to corner the AVSforums and GAF markets.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Yep. Blu-Ray won, but Netflix is going to win the HD war!...err...streaming...on demand...standard definition....can't-keep-your-content...war...

B-Ri

uhhh, my on demand cable box has been doign that... for years. Too bad for the most part the signal fucks up and the cable box freezes.

does that mean DVD is TEH LOZE?!?!?!

Snah

Banned
You really think this is a "HD war?"

For people that own HDTVs and want to keep their movies in HD, not rent them, yes. :lol

On demand is nothing new. :lol

CrapSandwich

former Navy SEAL
Snah said:
For people that own HDTVs and want to keep their movies in HD, not rent them, yes. :lol

Insofar as it's an emerging technology, it is still quite new. And yes, it will win sooner or later. Whether that happens before or after BRD achieves critical mass is debatable. I'd bet on BRD, but who the fuck am I?

Downloadable content stuff wont win until you are able to back up your video files and able to share/swap movies with friends/relatives and what not.
Ohh.. and the internet bandwidth and capped limits have to not suck as much as it currently does..
IMO.

Andy787

Banned
You really think this is a "HD war?"
:lol :lol :lol :lol

Snah said:

You're a little bit mistaken about Sony's intentions. Their goal is not to find "people that own HDTVs and want to keep their movies in HD." Their goal is to convert the mass video consuming market into "people that own HDTVs and want to keep their movies in HD."

There's a huge difference there. The niche of people you describe is tiny, and it's Sony's job to expand such a market. Unfortunately for them, people rather pay for convenience and service than for physical objects. This is why Netflix boomed in popularity in the first place.

I will concede that when DVDs first took over the market, people loved forming collections. DVDs were just so different from VHS that it made them a joy to own. Over the years, however, buyers turned into renters and stopped amassing collections, outside of the same niche of geeks that you mentioned, of course.

Sony has definitely won the HD optical disk format war, but for BD to surpass DVD in marketshare, it would take an offer of convenience (or price). Within reason, formats or hardware DO NOT win wars and take over marketshare except for the reasons of convenience and price. It's why iPod won; it's why VHS won; it's why CDs took over; it's why McDonald's consistently wins; etc., etc., etc. Quality and technological advancements don't turn consumers.

The next step in convenience and service is Netflix's set-top box. For a set price that doesn't change from month to month, you'll be able to put on a movie or TV show at your will.

Cable companies don't offer the same technology or service. On Demand is messy: I pay for it on top of my cable bill? Am I subscribed to HBO On Demand? Is that separate from Showtime On Demand? How much am I paying if I want both? And each movie not on HBO or Showtime is $3.99 a pop?

It's terrible. If you want a huge package, it will probably run you $50 bucks in addition to whatever else you're paying.

And what you get is what the networks decide you get. I imagine that in time Netflix will want to offer their complete catalog, so that you can choose what you want.

As for the occasional crackling/freezing with On Demand? I used to get it with Cablevision. I don't with FiOS -- don't know what that means. I don't think it's a problem of bandwidth as much as of prioritization. The cable company has to broadcast 500 or so channels in addition to whatever you're getting On Demand. But we'll see. I can't imagine it will get in the way until the service is adopted at LARGE, and by then maybe we'll have some advances in server/bandwidth technology.
Justin Dailey said:
smart stuff 2 posts below this one
Thanks for the rational post. I think this is a highly realistic breakdown.

jmd494

CD's, which sell to a younger/more computer literate crowd than movies do, outsold digi-tracks in 2007 by a margin of 6 to 1 despite:

1. Having MILLIONS OF CUSTOMERS who are forced to use iTunes every day
2. Having VERY LOW BARRIERS to entry to download pay music (cheap PC, credit card, and at least dial-up internet).

Then really, what chance do HD movies downloads have against DVD's/Blu-Rays in the next few years? The barriers to entry are way higher (1. You need a set top box or a PC hooked up to your entertainment system; 2. You need GOOD broadband internet) and there is no precedent...no momentum.

My predictions (pretty uniformed I admit):

1. Pirates on Blu-Ray being outsold on DVD by a factor of 45 to 1 in the first week makes me think that Blu-Ray sales will not pass DVD sales until at least 2012 or later.
2. Blu-Ray sales will be significant by mid to late 2010 (maybe half of DVD sales for simultaneous releases).
3. Right around the time Blu-Ray sales actually pass DVD sales, both formats will being to become irrelevant as digi-distro finally starts to hit full stride.

In other words, Blu-Ray will do alright for the next 4 - 6 years and will make everyone some money, but it will EVENTUALLY get passed by the inevitable streaming solution.

xaosslug

so, now that HD-DVD's pretty much out of the equation as far as serious 'challengers' go, peeps are basically grasping at ANY 'up and coming' media distribution tech, so long as it isn't Blu-Ray? Is that what we've been reduced to? Sad.

Eteric Rice

xaosslug said:
so, now that HD-DVD's pretty much out of the equation, peeps are basically grasping at ANY 'up and coming' media distribution tech, so long as it isn't Blu-Ray? Is that what we've been reduced to? Sad.

I don't really get it personally. I mean, the console wars I can see because some people grew up with the companies.

But the HD-DVD vs. Blu-Ray thing is weird...

Eteric Rice said:
I don't really get it personally. I mean, the console wars I can see because some people grew up with the companies.

What's weird about it? People took sides because they want 1 format to win because until that happens many of the big movie releases aren't going to happen. Now that its out the way, BR sales can increase to the point that the big releases like LoTR and Star Wars ect. start releasing.

west

xaosslug said:
so, now that HD-DVD's pretty much out of the equation as far as serious 'challengers' go, peeps are basically grasping at ANY 'up and coming' media distribution tech, so long as it isn't Blu-Ray? Is that what we've been reduced to? Sad.

They are still in the anger phase. Don't expect to have a reasonable discussion before HD-DVD has been out of the picture for at least a couple of months, when they are in the acceptance phase.

Eteric Rice said:

Maybe it's a call to all parties to start looking at debates rationally. Maybe half of the people labeled as fanboys in console wars were not actually. Maybe some people labeled as pro-HD-DVD or anti-Sony (as I probably will be after my last few posts) are not really. Occam's razor and all that.

Personally, a change to a different kind of physical medium is ridiculous. In the long run, renting is a better financial decision. If I buy 300 on Blu Ray or on whatever it's available in HD because it looks OMG SO AWESOME, I'm still only going to watch it twice. It's an average movie at best and I don't care about it that much. Note that I'm not picking on 300 but used it as an example of my buying/viewing habits.

On the occasion that I want to watch a movie more than 3 or 4 times, it will still come out cheaper to rent it each time as part of my Netflix or Blockbuster online queue than to buy it.

I think most consumers' habits are not too different, even if their tastes in movies are.

The only bad thing about renting is the hassle of juggling, receiving, and returning disks. Once we can get rid of that, it will be perfect FOR ME.

I don't hope to convince anyone of anything than that we can have a rational discussion without calling people anti- this or pro- that.

Eteric Rice

Maybe it's a call to all parties to start looking at debates rationally. Maybe half of the people labeled as fanboys in console wars were not actually. Maybe some people labeled as pro-HD-DVD or anti-Sony (as I probably will be after my last few posts) are not really. Occam's razor and all that.

Personally, a change to a different kind of physical medium is ridiculous. In the long run, renting is a better financial decision. If I buy 300 on Blu Ray or on whatever it's available in HD because it looks OMG SO AWESOME, I'm still only going to watch it twice. It's an average movie at best and I don't care about it that much. Note that I'm not picking on 300 but used it as an example of my buying/viewing habits.

On the occasion that I want to watch a movie more than 3 or 4 times, it will still come out cheaper to rent it each time as part of my Netflix or Blockbuster online queue than to buy it.

I think most consumers' habits are not too different, even if their tastes in movies are.

The only bad thing about renting is the hassle of juggling, receiving, and returning disks. Once we can get rid of that, it will be perfect FOR ME.

I don't hope to convince anyone of anything than that we can have a rational discussion without calling people anti- this or pro- that.

I'm the same. Hell, I hardly watch TV anymore. Most companies put their episodes online, so why bother?

xaosslug

SolidSnakex said:
What's weird about it? People took sides because they want 1 format to win because until that happens many of the big movie releases aren't going to happen. Now that its out the way, BR sales can increase to the point that the big releases like LoTR and Star Wars ect. start releasing.
i can appreciate that, but it's those who are blindly scrabbling for anything that could be seen as even a remote alternative to Blu-Ray that I find weird.

Snah said:

Sounds more high tech.

This post is spot on. It boggles my mind how people thought H-D-D-V-D was ever more marketable than "blu-ray". Having the suffix DVD in the name didn't mean jack.

Eteric Rice

Defuser said:
Just get a ps3,cheapest blu ray player plus it plays games!!!

Nah, my pride and disdain for Sony prevents me from doing so.

Good news is that there's already a standalone player for $299. A few more months and it'll probably go down more. :D

supermackem said:
Would you care about this if you didnt own a ps3. This format war has no place in the console war but sony dragged it into it.:lol

Like it or not, there are games that take advantage of Blu-ray, and some could have benefited greatly from an HD format and they didn't because of DVD constraints ;-)

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Eteric Rice said:
I don't want a PS3, though.

Okay, when can I expect cheap stand alone BR players? :D

I think buying a stand alone player is pretty risky. I'm not too much into this BD stuff but it is my understanding that future Profile "upgrades" (like the recent 1.1 which "added" PiP) might force you to buy a brand new player in order to use the added funcionalities on the disc.

With PS3, since almost everything BD-related is done vis software + Cell, firmware updates will keep the PS3 always up to date. So when Profile 2.0 movies will be around (Internet Connectivity Support) the PS3 will be made compatible with the Profile 2.0 functionalities via FW upgrade.

I don't think all the BD players out there work this way. But then again I'm not expert so correct me if I'm wrong.

Eteric Rice

TTP said:
I think buying a stand alone player is pretty risky. I'm not too much into this BD stuff but it is my understanding that future Profile "upgrades" (like the recent 1.1 which "added" PiP) might force you to buy a brand new player in order to use the added funcionalities on the disc.

With PS3, since almost everything BD-related is done vis software + Cell, firmware updates will keep the PS3 always up to date. So when Profile 2.0 movies will be around (Internet Connectivity Support) the PS3 will be made compatible with the Profile 2.0 functionalities via FW upgrade.

I don't think all the BD players out there work this way. But then again I'm not expert so correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm pretty sure you'd be able to do firmware updates via USB.

At least TVs do that now adays. My Samsung HDTV did that.

patsu

Eteric Rice said:
Nah, my pride and disdain for Sony prevents me from doing so.

Good news is that there's already a standalone player for $299. A few more months and it'll probably go down more. :D

What did Sony wrong you ? Just curious :p

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
Yeah the PS3 is definitely the best BR player out there. Not only for the added "extras" of being a games console, and the added media functionality that comes with a built in HDD for storing divx video and mp3s, but also because it's one of the fastest loading BluRay players.

Really no reason to get a standalone when any model PS3 outperforms for the same or lower price and also provides a lot more functionality.

Eteric Rice said:
I'm pretty sure you'd be able to do firmware updates via USB.

At least TVs do that now adays. My Samsung HDTV did that.

Some players eimply wont do bd java stuff or internet interactive stuff as they have no ethernet port and simply wont ever support bdj.

JCBossman

Banned

I definitely can see your point, i bet you are a light packer, on vacations too am I right? I would love a box that allowed be to D/L from a giant catalog of movies for a set fee a month(like Netflix, but without the discs coming and going) BUT I also want a movie that I can play at ANY time regardless if my IP is down.Maybe a combo Netflix/Tivo box, how does THAT sound? One big issue though with Hi Def D/L's is that due to the weak pipes and storage space we currently have, Optical media most likely will have better/less compressed Video and Audio

Awntawn

The effect on PS3 sales, the relevance of HD in the mass market, the superior DD streaming methods, etc.

None of that is relevant, people. What is important is that between the two HD formats, one of them had to go. For the people who do want a physical medium for high definition movies, and these are the only people who any of this should concern, it would be nothing but good news if they were able to get every new release as they come out in HD without having to worry about format. Let's put aside "which side" for now; for both the consumers and the studios, nothing but good could come out of having one standard format.

This is not about whether or not Blu-Ray is going to overtake DVDs as the standard medium, or whether Netflix's new set top box will be the future of home entertainment. It's about the medium at hand finally getting unified, which can only be a good thing. Consumers previously unable commit to a side can finally jump in. Studios previously unable to commit to a side can finally jump in. It doesn't matter if it doesn't become the home entertainment distribution standard, all that matters is that it will get bigger than would be with a format war.

It's understandable that early HD-DVD adopters may feel bad about their "wasted investment," but...

1) Your HD-DVDs and players still work, so you didn't exactly waste your money.
2) You clearly are a fan of HD content, and in the long run a clear-cut format will result in a larger consumer base and as a result a lot more releases in HD. A small loss for a bigger win in the long run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom