• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands the Pre-Sequel! |OT| GENDER EQUALITY!

SerTapTap

Nisha went on to become the Sheriff of Lynchwood right? So that means out of four playable characters two of them are destined to die?

Yeah that's her. Not sure who the other one you're referring to though.
Claptrap is still alive, I don't think we know Athena's fate and the other dude is totally new right?

Edit: ohhhhh right now I remember Wilhelm, nevermind

cHinzo

If it's any indication of demand, the skilltree website is more or less DDoS'd right now. I was going to confirm that Nisha is the "sniper"-ish class, "point shooter" actually I believe, but I believe her class skills are most comparable to that class. I think they're shying away from weapon type specific skills, and for good reason. But I can't actually load her skills to check, I just know Athena has the elemental goodness I want.
I would say Wilhelm should be pretty good with snipers and laser weapons (laser snipers?!) in general, since he gets like 125% crit bonus from his skills when maxed out plus bonus damage when using laser weapons. Dnno if it's true, but I've read somewhere that laser weapons are getting an additional 3x crit modifier. Combine this with the bonus gun damage and it seems like a great class to use snipers with.

Also, Nisha's showdown skill doesn't work with snipers and rocket launchers. Shame.

Slayven

I want my freeze guns now!!!!

Think it will get the level of support in DLC the others got? Not those shitty challenges, but real DLC.

Having played hundreds of hours of the prior games (especially BL2), I wasn't impressed by early showings of this and had spent most of the time since the announcment of this game thinking it was a cheap cash-in but the Hammerlock/Torgue video changed my opinion.

I got the Digital Deluxe edition installed and I am HYPED to start playing tomorrow!

We should convince Gearbox to port the Athena character to BL2. She's the only Presequel character that could be added though since the others are already in the game.
Pre-sequel spoilers:
Literally the start of the game as Athena will remedy this for you.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Yeah that's her. Not sure who the other one you're referring to though.
Claptrap is still alive, I don't think we know Athena's fate and the other dude is totally new right?

Edit: ohhhhh right now I remember Wilhelm, nevermind

Oh wow. I totally hadn't made the connection there.

SerTapTap

Might be staying up to play, it unlocks midnight EST on steam?

Oh wow. I totally hadn't made the connection there.

Yeah, I'm sort of wondering if this wasn't the plan all along--I mean, there's no way they WEREN'T going to make a hyperion moon base DLC--and with each extra DLC it was a bit more odd that they hadn't done it yet.

Might be staying up to play, it unlocks midnight EST on steam?

Yeah, I'm sort of wondering if this wasn't the plan all along--I mean, there's no way they WEREN'T going to make a hyperion moon base DLC--and with each extra DLC it was a bit more odd that they hadn't done it yet.

When I check the store page that's what it seems like (12 EST)...I know before it was showing it wouldn't unlock until about 1 PM in the afternoon

Tabby

Made it through the intro and now I have class. It's amazing so far and I'm impressed with how well they captured what Gearbox established with the first two games. Playing as Athena.

Before you ask, VPN through South Korea for Steam unlock.

Also, it runs about the same as Borderlands 2 if you were wondering if you could run it.

I thought using VPN with Steam is against the SSA?

It seems like this is selling really well on Steam, it's been #1 for at least over a week now. I'm really curious at what the numbers are. I'm actually kind of surprised it's doing this well to be honest.

Experien

Ahhh, still have no idea which class I'm going to start with. Not feeling Nisha and I'm not sure how much co-op I'll get to immediately so I'm thinking no to Claptrap.

I just recieved the mail that my copy has arrived!! But damn it, I can't pick it up today :( I will be the first in line tomorrow morning lol

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Weapon XP was an AWFUL idea, I'm sorry. What it really does is strongly punish you late game when you try to use guns you rarely used before. You don't even notice the level up effects on guns you do use, but when it's playthrough 2.5 and your pistol level is still 3 you can basically just never use a pistol again because it functions like shit. Badass rank is a far superior system.
Agreed completely.

Can't escape the 'Expansion pack' feeling about it.
I really don't know why this feeling is so predominant when the game is arguably longer than Borderlands...

Don't worry. I was a bit alarmed too ,but I read the actual Destructoid review, and my fears were alleviated. The dude is kind of harsh in his score, and based on Destructoid's score guide scale and the content of his reviews I feel he should probably have given a 7 instead of a 6, but regardless of score, what he says in the review is more important than the number, and it seems like this is something any Borderlands fan will enjoy.

In fact, Jim Sterling's review on Escapist doesn't seem to disagree much with the Destructoid review in terms of general praise and criticism, but he gave 4/5. :)

Looking really forward to it myself.

Edit: oh there's one thing I disagree with Darren Nakamura (Destructoid reviewer) over, though... Athena is my girl. I called dibs first, dammit! XD

KaLJiBu.jpg

Just picked this up. Surprised to see it came with an insert. Also (kinda) surprised it came with the pre order bonus.

After some food, i'll be on this. Pretty damn excited!

Can't wait for this game! Very interested in the story. I wish we would get some back story on manufacturer S&S Munitions from the first game though, they were in power before Hyperion.

Going with PC and PS3 versions.

GavinUK86

Well after playing it on PC for past couple hours it's safe to say it's fun yet very similar to BL2. Still hilarious though. Seems like the story leans towards playing as Athena, which I am, considering how it starts. Reviews seem to be spot on. It's just as good as BL2 but nothings really changed all that much. Whether that's good or bad is entirely up the player.

BigDug13

How is the scaling btw in the game? Couldnt find anything in those reviews.

If you mean level and weapon scaling, that really didn't present itself very much in BL2 until you got to the second playthrough where each level's guns made a huge difference in damage output. So it might be hard to tell yet since it's just released.

SerTapTap

If you mean level and weapon scaling, that really didn't present itself very much in BL2 until you got to the second playthrough where each level's guns made a huge difference in damage output. So it might be hard to tell yet since it's just released.

Allegedly this one has much more linear scaling vs the exponential of BL2

cHinzo

this guy seems to think its gonna be more reasonable than bl2...which, lets be real, got pretty wacky. also mentions that its not linear ala bl1. hopefully end game doesnt become a healthgate fest again.

Yeah, it would be especially bad in this game since we don't have slag this time around. The great thing about the linear scaling in Borderlands 1 was that I could use some lowers level, but awesome guns and still be able to kill those enemies. Found an Atlas Ogre in Old Haven and used it for like 20 levels straight. Such a good gun. If u find a legendary in Borderlands 2 u can't use it after like 4~5 levels, simply because u won't be able to kill those normal mobs anymore without struggling.

BigDug13

Yeah, it would be especially bad in this game since we don't have slag this time around. The great thing about the linear scaling in Borderlands 1 was that I could use some lowers level, but awesome guns and still be able to kill those enemies. Found an Atlas Ogre in Old Haven and used it for like 20 levels straight. Such a good gun. If u find a legendary in Borderlands 2 u can't use it after like 4~5 levels, simply because u won't be able to kill those normal mobs anymore without struggling.

This is what made me question that absolutely shit drop rate as you leveled. If you want to restrict the drop rate of max level legendaries, that's one thing, but to have it be so extremely rare while you level in a game that makes the gun obsolete within 4 levels, it sucked. You didn't value the legendary because the game forced you to grow out of it fairly quickly, so I think since the legendaries themselves had limited value as you leveled, they should have dropped more often as you leveled.

The exponential leveling of weapon damage sucked for this reason because they didn't take gun drop-rate into account. When I have to pop the golden chest open for decent weapons at my level because every other rare gun becomes obsolete in a couple levels, that's garbage.

cHinzo

This is what made me question that absolutely shit drop rate as you leveled. If you want to restrict the drop rate of max level legendaries, that's one thing, but to have it be so extremely rare while you level in a game that makes the gun obsolete within 4 levels, it sucked. You didn't value the legendary because the game forced you to grow out of it fairly quickly, so I think since the legendaries themselves had limited value as you leveled, they should have dropped more often as you leveled.

The exponential leveling of weapon damage sucked for this reason because they didn't take gun drop-rate into account. When I have to pop the golden chest open for decent weapons at my level because every other rare gun becomes obsolete in a couple levels, that's garbage.

They could have implemented the damage scaling, but kept the drop system from Borderlands 1, where u had yellow, orange and dark orange coloration legendaries in which yellow were the ones with the worst parts and dark orange with the best parts. They could increase the drop chance for legendary drops (yellow and orange ones) so we could enjoy using legendary weapons, but let the players farm for the dark orange ones if u wanted to get the weapon with the max stats parts.

With the Borderlands 2 drop rates u would be lucky to see a legendary drop in the whole campaign and it would be useless after a couple of levels anyway.

petghost

Banned
Another thing that bugged me about bl2 endgame was how DoT became incredibly impotent making so many skills or even skill trees useless.like gaiges whole lbt tree was not worth the investment making all her builds wind up kinda similar. I wish that tree was good man it had some awesome ideas. Maya got hurt by this a ton as well.

GamerSoul

Just picked this up. Surprised to see it came with an insert. Also (kinda) surprised it came with the pre order bonus.

After some food, i'll be on this. Pretty damn excited!

In case anyone was wondering what kind of goodies you get from having a save file from the other games:

Yeah, I got a ton of stuff immediately after booting up the game, including 100 badass ranks.

:D so awesome. I hope Athena gets some cool gear.

d00d3n

What VPN software are people using to unlock early? Tunnelbear and VPNgate aren't doing the trick for me.

OpenVPN using one of the top korean servers on VPN Gate worked for me. Remember to run OpenVPN with administrator privileges, otherwise it may not work.

Mistel

Banned
With the Borderlands 2 drop rates u would be lucky to see a legendary drop in the whole campaign and it would be useless after a couple of levels anyway.
Plus getting the correct parts was a pain too. Always ended up getting the dahl stock when I wanted hyperion stock on a invader.

Sothpaw

Playing as Wilhelm tomorrow when I get home from work. A little disappointed to read that the later quests drag (from the Gamespot review). Still, always love Borderlands action.

Top Bottom