• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands the Pre-Sequel! |OT| GENDER EQUALITY!

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Was there a pre-order bonus for this? It's a bit late, and I'm only 90% sure I'll be getting it tomorrow, but I'm curious what I'm missing out on.

AndyBNV

Nvidia

Skele7on

Banned
Pretty sure Gearbox "proper" has been working on the Homeworld remakes and BattleBorn

Battleborn

Battleborn and absolutely nothing related to Borderlands 3. Absolutely.

Oh yeah I totally forgot about BattleBorn happened.....

that's the Moba X shooter game right?

A friend of mine with an old, non-gaming laptop managed to run this. If you're willing to put it on 720p and turn some settings down it probably runs fine on most anything released in recent years.

Hopefully they'll be a demo, if there is will try run that and see.
I don't get why they didn't do it for next gen too, such a shame.

Lanrutcon

A toaster could run this game. Hell, you can slap everything on low AND then alter the .ini to further disable shadows to get it to run on an electric toothbrush.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
A toaster could run this game. Hell, you can slap everything on low AND then alter the .ini to further disable shadows to get it to run on an electric toothbrush.

What if I don't have a toaster?
And my electric toothbrush only runs on dos.

Amon37

Only 10 hours for straight campaign completion? That's short. There's no way your completing BL1 let alone BL2 in that short amount of time.

Tabby

Only 10 hours for straight campaign completion? That's short. There's no way your completing BL1 let alone BL2 in that short amount of time.
Most of my time is spent on multiple playthroughs, New games and grinding to get guns.

It's the journey that counts. Besides, some of us didn't have the patience to level up all available classes on the previous games because doing the same walk to do the same objective for the fourth time can fuck right off.

maouvin

Sooo I was doing one of the first quests for Springs, took a wrong turn, fell into a cave, then two lvl 30 things showed up and blasted me dead while I tried to find an exit. Awesome.

cHinzo

It's the journey that counts. Besides, some of us didn't have the patience to level up all available classes on the previous games because doing the same walk to do the same objective for the fourth time can fuck right off.
10 hours still sounds short though. Kinda a bummer. I only play one character the whole game and spend 85 hours on Borderlands 1 with Roland and 232 hours in Borderlands 2 with only Axton. This seems like a huge step back. :/

maouvin

10 hours still sounds short though. Kinda a bummer. I only play one character the whole game and spend 85 hours on Borderlands 1 with Roland and 232 hours in Borderlands 2 with only Axton. This seems like a huge step back. :/

Well, Borderlands 1 was doable in 10 hours skipping sidequests (that's what "straight campaign completion" means, no? Might be wrong here). Also, people already have a general idea on how to play/what to do/how to be effective since there's not many gameplay differences from BL2, so it's easier to get to the point.

And well, whoever finishes a game on before launch is a rusher. I wouldn't take his "completion" time as a parameter for the game's lenght.

Trickster

So I have a gtx 970, but the physx still tanks my fps whenever the physx stuff happens, anyone else that are experiencing the same? Was really looking forward to crazy particle fun...

UnrealEck

So I have a gtx 970, but the physx still tanks my fps whenever the physx stuff happens, anyone else that are experiencing the same? Was really looking forward to crazy particle fun...

Make sure in nvidia's control panel that you have the GPU set as the physx computer.

Drazgul

Oh boy, first epic! Off of a boss too, this could be go--

8l0Lqnm.png

IgMyx.gif

Fortunately he dropped a nice blue lazors!1 weapon too. Not sure about Wilhelm though, the drones - while good - don't seem to be the gamechangers that for example Sal and Krieg's (my earlier favorites) abilities were.

Trickster

Make sure in nvidia's control panel that you have the GPU set as the physx computer.

Didn't know this, will be interesting to see if it makes a difference, kinda expect not though. Mainly because I tried rebooting the game, and that seemed to help immensely on the framerate

cHinzo

Fortunately he dropped a nice blue lazors!1 weapon too. Not sure about Wilhelm though, the drones - while good - don't seem to be the gamechangers that for example Sal and Krieg's (my earlier favorites) abilities were.

Dnno why u would expect a game changing skill from two surveyor drones lol, since they are there for support and distraction. I would say Nisha and Claptrap have the biggest game changing skills with the showdown skill and vaulthunter.exe.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

If you JUST did the campaign, you could complete BL2 in that amount of time. Quite a few parts of the game were optional.

For BL1, I am not so sure.

UnrealEck

Didn't know this, will be interesting to see if it makes a difference, kinda expect not though. Mainly because I tried rebooting the game, and that seemed to help immensely on the framerate

It probably won't help because by default, nVidia chooses whether to use your GPU or CPU itself likely based on the power of both of them. Which will typically result in the GPU being used.
But there might be a problem in which it uses the CPU instead which means really bad performance. PlanetSide 2 did this during the beta.

Drazgul

Dnno why u would expect a game changing skill from two surveyor drones lol, since they are there for support and distraction. I would say Nisha and Claptrap have the biggest game changing skills with the showdown skill and vaulthunter.exe.

Yeah it's pretty much the same issue I had with Roland and Axton and their turrets, they're nice for sure, but they just lack the oomph that the other classes get to have. Slow and steady doesn't win the race in Borderlands, you have to have EXPLOSIONS!

And Claptrap can go suck it, RNG is the devil when you only have a single skill to use. It needs to be dependable and worthwhile every time.

cHinzo

Slow and steady doesn't win the race in Borderlands, you have to have EXPLOSIONS!

That's why in Borderlands 2, I would spec into the skill trees to make a ROCKETS UNLEASHING, NUCLEAR TURRET OF MASS DESTRUCTION! Combine that with the Unkempt Harold, Ogre, SWORDSPLOSION!!!1 and the Norfleet as weapons, Meteor Shower as ur grenade of choice and the Big Boom Blaster shield and u would have explosions overload! Man, I love that build.

I'm questioning how well an explosion build will work in the pre-sequel though, since there are a lot of mobile flying enemies in the game and those Torgue guns shoot low velocity projectiles... Would be a pain in the ass to actually hit something.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
And Claptrap can go suck it, RNG is the devil when you only have a single skill to use.

Nah, Claptrap is great - I love not know what I'm going to get when I trigger my skill. A little surprise every time. I wish there was a third person camera though, I feel like it must be fun to watch as an outside observer.

I do miss not having legs though - the bouncy moon walk animations the other PCs get are hilarious.

Are people finding the oxygen limitation to be a burden? Claptrap only needs air for slams, so he doesn't take damage when he runs out of air, but I'm wondering if the other classes are finding oxygen management onerous. I feel like there's a ton of air available.

maouvin

Nah, Claptrap is great - I love not know what I'm going to get when I trigger my skill. A little surprise every time. I wish there was a third person camera though, I feel like it must be fun to watch as an outside observer.

I do miss not having legs though - the bouncy moon walk animations the other PCs get are hilarious.

Are people finding the oxygen limitation to be a burden? Claptrap only needs air for slams, so he doesn't take damage when he runs out of air, but I'm wondering if the other classes are finding oxygen management onerous. I feel like there's a ton of air available.

But isn't Clap's action skill situational? I don't think you can get the pirate ship subroutine while fighting normal mobs, since one of the "pre-reqs" is to have a badass of boss nearby.

As for O2, sometimes I find myself running low after sniping people for a while, so I run to a nearby source. At close combat it's not an issue.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
But isn't Clap's action skill situational? I don't think you can get the pirate ship subroutine while fighting normal mobs, since one of the "pre-reqs" is to have a badass of boss nearby.

As for O2, sometimes I find myself running low after sniping people for a while, so I run to a nearby source. At close combat it's not an issue.

It is, but it doesn't repeat (or at least it hasn't for me so far). If I become a gunzerker the first time I trigger my skill, I won't become a gunzerker the next time. Eventually it will cycle, but I do appreciate and enjoy not know for sure what I'll turn into.

Drazgul

I don't mind it at all to be honest, the canister drops are plentiful and outside of combat, the amount of those air vents is just perfect. You can run out if you just stand around so it does create a sense of urgency which has been pretty neat so far (who knows if later levels get more challenging when it comes to the air conservation, though).

Krakn3Dfx

About 2 hours in, and wow, this is like a mediocre Borderlands 2 DLC pack so far. There are clear improvements they could have made to the gameplay in BL2, but they basically just slapped some new textures on and gave everybody an oxygen mask and turn down the in-game gravity and called it. Expected this, but I'm still disappointed so far. Even on the PC, the game just looks kind of nasty, maybe I'm just over that art style, I dunno.

I'll keep playing a bit more, just to see if things pick up, but this feels like the cash-in I was hoping it wouldn't be. I was hoping Gearbox would put more into it given the thrashing they took on A:CM, but apparently they don't give a shit.

ObiDin

About 2 hours in, and wow, this is like a mediocre Borderlands 2 DLC pack so far. There are clear improvements they could have made to the gameplay in BL2, but they basically just slapped some new textures on and gave everybody an oxygen mask and turn down the in-game gravity and called it. Expected this, but I'm still disappointed so far. Even on the PC, the game just looks kind of nasty, maybe I'm just over that art style, I dunno.

I'll keep playing a bit more, just to see if things pick up, but this feels like the cash-in I was hoping it wouldn't be. I was hoping Gearbox would put more into it given the thrashing they took on A:CM, but apparently they don't give a shit.

If I had to guess, I would say that 2k Games wanted another Borderlands game this year and Gearbox wanted to work on Battleborn so they agreed to allow 2k Australia to do it. If I remember right, Pitchford even said that they didn't want to release this on Nextgen as they want to do the true Borderlands 3 on next gen themselves.

Still tempted to go pick this up tonight after work.

That´s what i was fearing too, sad that it seems another of randy´s exploits

Ruff

I'm about 13 hours in, missed a lot of side quests since i tend to like getting the story out of the way first. I think i'm in the final zone now, and as expected the enemies are kicking my slightly underleveled ass, so i may do a few yellows.

I have to say, at first I was thinking this that yeah, this is just DLC in space, but hell so far I've gotten more enjoyment out of this game than i did BL2 or 1 even with so little time spent. While there are practically only 2 "locations" in the game, they manage to give each zone it's own personality and i've seen quite a few vistas that have took my breath away more than I have done in a while.

The gameplay is to me is what BL2 was to BL1, nothing but improvements imo, and the new gun types are very fun to play with. (I've been using
moxxis lightning gun
for the last 10 levels and it still wrecks faces)

I'd even say the storyline was better than BL2, and certainly better than BL1.

(note: I remove the cel shading and black outlines with cfg commands, I just prefer it that way. was never a fan of the vanilla style)

-PXG-

Can you still give yourself infinite Golden Keys?

Not sure.

Is there a list of good ones? I know there was a way to skip most of those stupid intro splash screens. Anything graphics related is also a plus.

Here is mine if you want to use it.

http://pastebin.com/ZcAHdVrk

The resolution is set to 2560x1440. You can change that in the config or in game. Keep in mind I also have global Inspector settings and using a SMAA injector too.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
(note: I remove the cel shading and black outlines with cfg commands, I just prefer it that way. was never a fan of the vanilla style)

Are there any screen shots of this? Sounds interesting..

Still got 2 days until this unlocks for me
C69EFF7B1B8D5435857A21A8C9ABC8FD771DDD88

Ruff

Are there any screen shots of this? Sounds interesting..

Still got 2 days until this unlocks for me
C69EFF7B1B8D5435857A21A8C9ABC8FD771DDD88

I don't have any of TPS, but heres a before/after i could find of BL2

borderlands-2-cel-on.jpg

borderlands-2-cel-off.jpg

I think it just looks much more organic, and a whole lot less messy on the eyes without ugly black borders on everything.

Anyways, Just finished the story, and HOLY CRAP that final act was just a treat for the eyes, and pretty tough too >_<. It puts the last misson's of BL2 to shame in terms of design and scope tbh. This certainly is not "standalone DLC" in my opinion.

bronk

Banned
How is the loot handled in this game? I loved the loot system in Borderlands 1 but in 2 I hated it. Having to grind bosses and most of time guns being useless. I miss the rare guns coming from normal enemeies :/. If its the same as 2 ill definitely pass

One review said 15 hrs for main story alone, not including side quests.

Pretty good.

But as with every Borderlands game, waiting for the GOTY edition is the best way to go.

maouvin

How is the loot handled in this game? I loved the loot system in Borderlands 1 but in 2 I hated it. Having to grind bosses and most of time guns being useless. I miss the rare guns coming from normal enemeies :/. If its the same as 2 ill definitely pass

I don't think we have many people already on endgame (why farm before that, aye?), but I played just around 2h and already saw a bunch of blue items with red text (mostly from bosses and mission rewards), which is cool since special effects can make a weapon with average stats usable.

Other than that, plenty of whites and greens. You should wait a few more days for some endgame impressions before ditching the game, tough.

geordiemp

Seems 360 struggles from http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-10-14-borderlands-the-pre-sequel-review

Textures pop in slowly, visual and audio glitches are common and the game often freezes for a second when too much is going on

Shame, had enough of that last gen and its not acceptable..., so not getting this for 360.

Don't have a gaming PC, so with no Ps4 version, obviously 2K does not want my custom.

Top Bottom