• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands the Pre-Sequel! |OT| GENDER EQUALITY!

BigDug13

I'm on the same page. It's a little underwhelming the low Metacritic score, but whatever, the "is not less than any other Borderlands and you'll get the same fun" is what matters.

Perspective.

An outsourced Borderlands game by a small Australian developer is only 1 metacritic point lower than Destiny.

Dazzyman

It is a game that comes alive in coop just the same as Horde on GOW. I'm lucky that 3yrs ago I got the wife into it and we have never looked back (done same again recently with Diablo). I buy a lot of games, used to do reviews and it's the only game I've ever played for this amount of time. I probably clock 52 new games a year at least, get bored easily and won't put up with meh games.

I've never laughed so much or had so much fun than when I've played Borderlands. Roll on Friday

slop101

Banned
Well, I just got to level 25 on Destiny, and I think I'm putting aside for a while, so I'm ready for this new Borderlands.

Hopefully it won't be as chintzy with the swag like Destiny is.

Perspective.

An outsourced Borderlands game by a small Australian developer is only 1 metacritic point lower than Destiny.

You're totally right. PC version just hit 75, but most it's because one 5/10. In any case, it doesn't matter, I'm waiting to recieve the email that confirms that my copy is here!

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
That's a bit strange.

One review says they put in 25 hours to complete everything. The other says 60...

over double the time is a pretty big variance to be influence by gameplay style alone. You can only run so fast through a game... so who's lying?

Also, while some parts of those reviews bum me out (short, lack of interesting environments later on, buggy) some things like no (weapon spoiler)
slag weapons
and having that loot combiner/generator sound awesome. Finally, useless loot might actually have a purpose.

edit: On the flip side, this is the first time I've legitimately been excited in a videogame in years. It feels good to have that desire back. It's going to be hard waiting 2 months to play this but hopefully they get the bugs sorted out by then.

SerTapTap

That's a bit strange.

One review says they put in 25 hours to complete everything. The other says 60...

over double the time is a pretty big variance to be influence by gameplay style alone. You can only run so fast through a game... so who's lying?

Also, while some parts of those reviews bum me out (short, lack of interesting environments later on, buggy) some things like no (weapon spoiler)
slag weapons
and having that loot combiner/generator sound awesome. Finally, useless loot might actually have a purpose.

edit: On the flip side, this is the first time I've legitimately been excited in a videogame in years. It feels good to have that desire back. It's going to be hard waiting 2 months to play this but hopefully they get the bugs sorted out by then.

100% time differential is about what I'd expect for an all sidequests vs main story only. Or did they both say they had completed all sidequests?

cHinzo

That's a bit strange.

Maybe one reviewer played the campaign fully once, while the other also went through the True Vault Hunter mode and reached the max level. Would explain the double amount of playtime.

Lanrutcon

I always wonder how they measure playtime in games like these.

It's like saying Diablo 3 is a 20 hour game.

on what planet?!

I loved b1 and b2. With a passion.

This game just seems like such a cash in though. It offers very little new. The characters are kind of dull IMO and the whole prequal thing turns me off a bit. I always prefer stories to move forward instead of backward.

It just doesn't seem to offer enough of a new experience to me to justify a day 1 purchase like the old games. Its kind of a borderlands 2.5. Should have been priced accordingly.

++

I put hundreds of hours into BL2 - loved it - but from the videos I've seen of this game I'm having trouble wanting to drop $60 for it.

ViciousDS

Banned
My Buddy, Little Brother and I traded in Destiny for this....I love the loot gameplay so much and have always had fun with Borderlands....hundreds of hours just dumped into the game and its sequel.

Can't wait till tomorrow....time to hook back up the PS3!

Picking up a copy after work today. So excited to play.

BL2 was so so good. Played most of it by myself but there was no shortage of fun. Got all the achievements as well. BL1 was awesome too.

After being disappointed with Destiny, I really want to dive into a loot game and this game is perfect right now. I'm not sure who I'll start off with but I'm not concerned with that since I'll be playing as all 4 eventually.

av2k

Can't wait to make the jump into this game. Looking forward to playing Wilhelm and seeing what happens to him at the end of the game.

just realized in the launch trailer, Jack calls them vault Hunters....this team is considered vault hunters? Thought they were more like mercenaries

SerTapTap

just realized in the launch trailer, Jack calls them vault Hunters....this team is considered vault hunters? Thought they were more like mercenaries

"Vault Hunters" has been used fairly liberally since BL2 and some DLCs. It's really fairly close to "mercenaries" at this point. (in fact I think a few bandit enemies call you "merc" in BL2)

Skele7on

Banned
Perspective.

Wait gearbox outsourced another game?

So what have they been actually doing since then? Apart from being in a court room for the last time they... Oh dear god..... outsourced a game....

Could Randy sue Himself?

OT The game looks alright, it's a shame it's not on a console or pc in my house (my pc wouldn't run this fact....)

So what have they been actually doing since then? Apart from being in a court room for the last time they... Oh dear god..... outsourced a game....

Could Randy sue Himself?

OT The game looks alright, it's a shame it's not on a console or pc in my house (my pc wouldn't run this fact....)

Pretty sure Gearbox "proper" has been working on the Homeworld remakes and BattleBorn

Could Randy sue Himself?

Battleborn

I will wait for you guys impressions, but I'm kinda meh at the game so far, not having a dedicated sniper tree like Zer0 or Mordecai severely diminished my will to play.

Also, I didn't like any of the new characters except for Claptrap.

SerTapTap

Apparently Gametap doesn't do preloads

Could Randy sue Himself?

A friend of mine with an old, non-gaming laptop managed to run this. If you're willing to put it on 720p and turn some settings down it probably runs fine on most anything released in recent years.

Made it through the intro and now I have class. It's amazing so far and I'm impressed with how well they captured what Gearbox established with the first two games. Playing as Athena.

Before you ask, VPN through South Korea for Steam unlock.

Also, it runs about the same as Borderlands 2 if you were wondering if you could run it.

Made it through the intro and now I have class. It's amazing so far and I'm impressed with how well they captured what Gearbox established with the first two games. Playing as Athena.

Before you ask, VPN through South Korea for Steam unlock.

Also, it runs about the same as Borderlands 2 if you were wondering if you could run it.

Awesome. Looking forward to hearing more impressions and (hopefully) getting in some play time tonight at 11:00 PM CST.

Halcyon

If my playstation wasn't dead I'd definitely be giving this game a go. As it is, i'll probably just youtube it.

I had endless amounts of fun with Borderlands 2.

SerTapTap

If it's any indication of demand, the skilltree website is more or less DDoS'd right now. I was going to confirm that Nisha is the "sniper"-ish class, "point shooter" actually I believe, but I believe her class skills are most comparable to that class. I think they're shying away from weapon type specific skills, and for good reason. But I can't actually load her skills to check, I just know Athena has the elemental goodness I want.

ViciousDS

Banned
If it's any indication of demand, the skilltree website is more or less DDoS'd right now. I was going to confirm that Nisha is the "sniper"-ish class, "point shooter" actually I believe, but I believe her class skills are most comparable to that class. I think they're shying away from weapon type specific skills, and for good reason. But I can't actually load her skills to check, I just know Athena has the elemental goodness I want.

She specializes it seems in non elemental weapons.....thats pretty much about it, snipers don't receive the damage buff during here skill activation,

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Nisha's is the only class that looks interesting to me, but I think I'll feel dirty playing as her. For one, I killed her in BL2, all sorts of existential issues going on there. And she has horrible horrible taste in men. I don't think I can shiver violently enough to shake off the filth of her having hooked up with Handsome Jack.

Galactic Fork

Is the Claptrap unit in this game the same one you meet in BL2? Or is it one of the many dead Claptrap units you see scattered around?

maouvin

Not quite, her rightmost tree give her some bonuses at firing from the hip and reload speed. Sniping with her might be viable with the skill that boosts damage from the last 6 bullets on the clip (middle tree), the kill skill that has a chance to make a normal shot crit and maybe some other stuff, but it's far from being comparable to Mord or Zero.

Nisha's is the only class that looks interesting to me, but I think I'll feel dirty playing as her. For one, I killed her in BL2, all sorts of existential issues going on there. And she has horrible horrible taste in men. I don't think I can shiver violently enough to shake off the filth of her having hooked up with Handsome Jack.

Well, we still don't know how he was when she fell for him. Also, Jack strongly believes that he's the hero, so maybe she went along with that.
Or, you know, she hooked up with him just for fun.

Nisha went on to become the Sheriff of Lynchwood right? So that means out of four playable characters two of them are destined to die?

Galactic Fork

Nisha went on to become the Sheriff of Lynchwood right? So that means out of four playable characters two of them are destined to die?
Killing Nisha is purely optional. It's not part of the plot. She's just an asshole.

Hmm I only got BL2 a few months ago. Maybe I shoulda waited and played this first. I wonder how different the experience would be going from 1 to the Pre-sequel to 2 would be.

petghost

Banned
think this game woulda come off a bit better if there were some noticeable visual overhaul...because mechanically they added a ton of shit so hearing that its a glorified expansion sounds like a kind of weird hangup, at least from what ive seen, and i assume what most people mean is that it is presented visually in the exact same way bl2 was.

i guess the overall structure is exactly the same too so that could be what they mean.

Galactic Fork

think this game woulda come off a bit better if there were some noticeable visual overhaul...because mechanically they added a ton of shit so hearing that its a glorified expansion sounds like a kind of weird hangup, at least from what ive seen, and i assume what most people mean is that it is presented visually in the exact same way bl2 was.

i guess the overall structure is exactly the same too so that could be what they mean.

That may be it... but I think it might be more that so often expansion packs are little "between the stories" stories. So the very idea of a game that takes place between 1 and 2 gives off a DLC or expansion pack vibe no matter how big it is.

MayMay

Banned
Played a bit of the game with a buddy of mine, we just wanted to check it out. Only way to play online atm is with a VPN (on PC/Steam) and thats really laggy so we only played the opening 30 minutes. Good so far.
Shame it unlocks on Thursday/Friday in the EU >_>

Hopefully they will get better characters as DLC, then I might get it. Someone like Handsome Jack would probably steer me to buy this. Can't grind hundreds of hours with the starting characters, unfortunately.

petghost

Banned
Hopefully they will get better characters as DLC, then I might get it. Someone like Handsome Jack would probably steer me to buy this. Can't grind hundreds of hours with the starting characters, unfortunately.

well you might be in luck....sort of.

there is a rumor that the first dlc char is gonna be handsome jacks double.

BigDug13

We should convince Gearbox to port the Athena character to BL2. She's the only Presequel character that could be added though since the others are already in the game.

well you might be in luck....sort of.

there is a rumor that the first dlc char is gonna be handsome jacks double.

Yeah, I heard that too, that's why I mentioned him. I would've bought this game if I could play as side characters like Moxxi, Torgue, Hammerlock, Marcus, Zed, etc. But that's just a dream, unfortunately.

Top Bottom