• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands the Pre-Sequel! |OT| GENDER EQUALITY!

Slayven

I still wish they'd throw in a toggle to turn off/hide white guns. Also O2 tanks having a blue glow is bullshit. It's like when mission items were green in BL1, too easy to confuse it with a gun. At least make 'em white, no one looks at white guns.

I'm pretty sure BL2 had the same deal though, I think classes of guns/elements "unlock" by level. Fire first, then other elements, and it takes a while for rocket launchers to show up (not that they don't suck because boyyyy are rocket launchers pointless)

Yeah I think there is some sort of internal switch that in the late teens is when loot gets good. I haven't even seen laser weapon yet.

Sothpaw

Yeah I think there is some sort of internal switch that in the late teens is when loot gets good. I haven't even seen laser weapon yet.

Oh I helped Torgue with the laser quest because Torgue is the best character ever and I figured I would get a laser soon anyway. Still don't regret it bc Torgue and the other option is helping that super annoying quest giver.

I loved the first 2 hours as Wilhelm. Just more solid Borderlands fun which is always welcome to me. No issues maxing everything on PC at 1080p.

SerTapTap

How bad is the physX option on AMD PCs? What's it even do? I have an AMD GPU but a great CPU (4770k @ 4.5Ghz), unsure if turning it on would be wise even then.

Lasers aren't THAT amazing, though they're closer to practicality than eridian (trash) or e-tech (mostly trash except plasma casters) guns. I've used a laser gatling gun, a laser shotgun and a regular-ish laser rifle. They don't seem to inflict elemental effects very well at all, though I finally got a maliwan one (the gatling gun) and it doesn't seem too bad, but the (shitty) fire SMG I got definitely set people on fire better. Is it too much to ask to hear people scream?

Oh I helped Torgue with the laser quest because Torgue is the best character ever and I figured I would get a laser soon anyway. Still don't regret it bc Torgue and the other option is helping that super annoying quest giver.

I loved the first 2 hours as Wilhelm. Just more solid Borderlands fun which is always welcome to me. No issues maxing everything on PC at 1080p.

Torgue is still hilarious in the laser option. Also the laser gun you get is THE MOST AMERICAN GUN EVER AND SHOOTS FREEDOM

Bz9DNK3CcAA-JxB.jpg

FREEDOM THAT BURNS PEOPLE TO DEATH

Sothpaw

Torgue is still hilarious in the laser option. Also the laser gun you get is THE MOST AMERICAN GUN EVER AND SHOOTS FREEDOM

Bz9DNK3CcAA-JxB.jpg

FREEDOM THAT BURNS PEOPLE TO DEATH

God I love Torgue. Will do that when I play through next prob as Nisha. Really liking Wilhelm so far. Just a no-nonsense badass mercenary.

maouvin

Do the echo log you start with ever go away? I had to tuck it into the bank, as it stood there after being listened multiple times.

SerTapTap

God I love Torgue. Will do that when I play through next prob as Nisha. Really liking Wilhelm so far. Just a no-nonsense badass mercenary.

Love Athena, Cold, badass, just enough of a smartass, she's perfect. Not liking that I have to switch guns to get my elemental boost though. I just wanna burn people.

Do the echo log you start with ever go away? I had to tuck it into the bank, as it stood there after being listened multiple times.

Just drop it on the ground

Experien

I found my Moonstones kept going missing, i figured i must have opened the chests that require them to open without realizing after a while. I must pay more attention haha

Some chests in the game cost moonstone to open. Maybe you opened some?

I didn't know this but I've been checking my moonstone count ever since before opening any chests and it is not changing so either I had a big string of them and now I see no chests or a bug.

Who has played the four classes?

I started as Claptrap, and is funny has hell but I want to play as other one as well. However I don't have enough time to play until friday, so I just ask GAF their opinion on each class.

What I played yesterday wasn't a lot either, just reached lvl6 and now I'll have to wait, damn it.

I started as Claptrap, and is funny has hell but I want to play as other one as well. However I don't have enough time to play until friday, so I just ask GAF their opinion on each class.

What I played yesterday wasn't a lot either, just reached lvl6 and now I'll have to wait, damn it.

I main claptrap, but it is turning out to be not for me. I just went through the intro as Willhelm for his achievement, I really enjoyed playing as him. Wolf and Saint are really cool to use and extremely helpful. I am playing through the intro as Athena right now and dont really like her skill that much.

After 8 hours, I'm really feeling silly that I thought this would be a cheap cash-in/glorified expansion pack. Yes, it's very much the same as BL2, but in the best possible way (like Assassins Creed 2 to AC Brotherhood, IMO). The changes make it fresh and the low gravity combat is FUN. I hope gearbox keeps it in future games. Doesn't have to be the whole game, just certain maps.

I have minor quibbles (save points too far apart, writing isn't as good as BL2, jumping gaps in vehicles seems like a crapshoot) but these don't really hamper the fun I'm having with this game.

Kudos to 2K Australia, they've made a great game here.

ViciousDS

Banned
After 8 hours, I'm really feeling silly that I thought this would be a cheap cash-in/glorified expansion pack. Yes, it's very much the same as BL2, but in the best possible way (like Assassins Creed 2 to AC Brotherhood, IMO). The changes make it fresh and the low gravity combat is FUN. I hope gearbox keeps it in future games. Doesn't have to be the whole game, just certain maps.

I have minor quibbles (save points too far apart, writing isn't as good as BL2, jumping gaps in vehicles seems like a crapshoot) but these don't really hamper the fun I'm having with this game.

they did.....played with 3 buddies last night and even when we hit the jump and missed the other side, we were constantly laughing and having a good time. I really love the low gravity and BUTT SLAM. Probably some of the most fun I have had from a video game in awhile. I really hope Gearbox does do something with low gravity in Borderlands 3.....maybe B3 will have jump packs on a planet instead giving the same effect.

Currently level 12 with Wilhelm. A bunch of side missions opened up so I'm going through them.

For those that want to use the Grinder, you need to complete a side mission. I did so last night but haven't had a chance to really play with it. You can add 3 weapons of the same rarity in order to get a weapon of the same (or higher?) rarity. Whether its a good weapon..who knows, lol. You can also use moonstones to add a luneshine effect. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Another new thing is being able to drink something that gives you a stat boost for 30 min. It could be increased gun damage..lower O2 depletion..etc. You can find this in town. These drinks cost a certain number of moonstones. Only one active at a time.

I'm really enjoying my time with this game. So far, I'm not feeling any "this is a cheap dlc" vibe.

SerTapTap

I love that the game finally treats characters differently and your character even talks in the story. Feels a lot more personal and more polished. All this in a "DLC expansion pack" as people love calling it.

they did.....played with 3 buddies last night and even when we hit the jump and missed the other side, we were constantly laughing and having a good time. I really love the low gravity and BUTT SLAM. Probably some of the most fun I have had from a video game in awhile. I really hope Gearbox does do something with low gravity in Borderlands 3.....maybe B3 will have jump packs on a planet instead giving the same effect.

Love the low gravity but the vehicles kinda suck, I don't think their physics are any different and on certain maps it's extremely easy to fall into pits.

Only Athena and not long enough to judge too much, but I'm really not a big fan of my elemental effect chance being tied to a 4 second "swapped weapons recently" timer

Experien

Edit: appears my game bugged, grabbed the treasure map and became SUPER SLOW, like frozen slow. Couldn't jump out of out. Had to restart the game to fix.

avelle

Neo Member
I've tried everyone but Wilhelm so far and though Claptrap is probably the funniest of the characters I seem to be having the most fun on Nisha. At first I was slightly underwhelmed by Showdown, but then I started using it while having a sniper rifle out and am having a blast.

Frogstep

Currently level 16, almost 17, with the Lawbringer and investing my talent points into Fan the Hammer tree; which is the pistol focused one.
So far I'm really liking my class choice and use of talents. I can easily clear rooms of bad guys with just one single action skill use. Easily my favorite class so far.

I haven't been using the Yoshi/Bowser butt stomp mechanic as much, I sometimes forget that it's there until an enemy does it on me.
The grinder thing has been kind of meh so far. I've used moonstones every time and haven't gotten a luneshine effect, might be small % chance, so I think just using stones guarantees that you get an item quality higher of the 3 you're putting in.

Not sure if this has also happened to anyone else, but I've been getting gold keys randomly in that new mailbox thing even after I've already accepted the ones I got for the loyalty stuff, etc.

Cat Party

Game runs fine on 360.

Was actually tough to get used to the shooting after playing Destiny for a month.

I also want to echo that jumping gaps in vehicles is needlessly tricky. Not sure why they designed what should be routine jumps to be so temperamental.

mid83

Are there any changes to solo vs group content scaling compared to bl2? I loved bl2 but I found it extremely frustrating at times as I played most of it solo. It seemed pretty obvious to me that the game was built for group play. I thought bl1 was much more solo friendly vs bl2. Any changes on that front for this game?

BokehKing

Banned
Eh Idk, got this for free yesterday with the free code from last year's pax East and some free dlc, I really don't like the 360 controller anymore, that or the controls on the game is all eh... Didn't like the song at the beginning either, I'll try giving it another shot later but so far the shooting feels dirty and wrong

Apt101

I just came up against the most difficult boss battle in my decades of gaming.

Felicity

An endless stream of enemies, shield bots, and self heals by the boss, with one-hit death maneuvers. If I can't find three over-leveled friends I may be calling this game super early. I have no regenerative or defensive skills, and I don't feel like grinding out five or six more levels to get them. Sucks, it was a pretty good game up to this point.

Kadin

Do you guys like the O2 mechanic in the game? I was playing last night with a friend of mine and we got to level 9 and so far I'm not sure I'm enjoying this part of it. It's not terribly bad in any way as the air vents and blue bottles seem to be fairly easy to find but it just seems like something that isn't really necessary.

Maybe later on it becomes more apparent why they did it? As it is right now, it just seems to be a feature that I could simply do without and was just added in due to the location.

Apt101

Do you guys like the O2 mechanic in the game? I was playing last night with a friend of mine and we got to level 9 and so far I'm not sure I'm enjoying this part of it. It's not terribly bad in any way as the air vents and blue bottles seem to be fairly easy to find but it just seems like something that isn't really necessary.

Maybe later on it becomes more apparent why they did it? As it is right now, it just seems to be a feature that I could simply do without and was just added in due to the location.

It seems pointless most of the time, just a limiting factor to prevent endless butt slams. I feel like they could have had it working in reverse, always regenerating when not boosting or slamming, and it would have been preferable.

BigDug13

It seems like it's used to limit the number of butt slams and double jumps you can do. With no resource to manage, you could do those moves all day.

Really love catching enemies near the cryo barrels...best one I had so far was when a Badass came out and jumped near me...hit the barrel beside him to freeze him then killed him...he broke into ice chunks and I went on my way

freakzilla3000

I have been using Nisha as my main but just tested out Claptrap for a bit and liked him a lot. The game is SLOW in the beginning but it's now picking up.

Who is everyone else's favorite class?

freakzilla3000

So far I'm having a great time with the game. Time for another session!

My buddy and I played until like 3 last night. It ended up being close to 5 hours total in 1 sitting. I am starting to really like it so far (I think we are just so used to BL2 that we need to get used to the new game).... We are liking it a lot so far.

Kadin

It seems pointless most of the time, just a limiting factor to prevent endless butt slams. I feel like they could have had it working in reverse, always regenerating when not boosting or slamming, and it would have been preferable.

It seems like it's used to limit the number of butt slams and double jumps you can do. With no resource to manage, you could do those moves all day.
Ah okay, that makes sense. I knew I was missing something.

Apt101

I have been using Nina as my main but just tested out Claptrap for a bit and liked him a lot. The game is SLOW in the beginning but it's now picking up.

I've only played Nisha. I feel like I have painted myself into a corner going full tilt offense, but I decided to do all side quests before picking up on the main story line again. She is absolutely vicious but the game gets tough if one passes on her defensive/healing skills early. I have a friend who plays Wilhem and he was noticeably irritated at how trivial she makes some of the content (killing five bad asses like they're nothing). He missed the part where she's a glass cannon solo.

I've played with a few people who were Clap Trap and that little bastard is a troll.

freakzilla3000

I've only played Nisha. I feel like I have painted myself into a corner going full tilt offense, but I decided to do all side quests before picking up on the main story line again. She is absolutely vicious but the game gets tough if one passes on her defensive/healing skills early. I have a friend who plays Wilhem and he was noticeably irritated at how trivial she makes some of the content (killing five bad asses like they're nothing). He missed the part where she's a glass cannon solo.

I've played with a few people who were Clap Trap and that little bastard is a troll.

Yes....He is a great support character though.... And yes *NISHA* is my man..... Stupid auto correct.

GamerSoul

I have been using Nisha as my main but just tested out Claptrap for a bit and liked him a lot. The game is SLOW in the beginning but it's now picking up.

My mind was set on Athena from the beginning. i'm trying to focus on her Melee skill tree. I have never played a Melee focused character so it has been a nice challenge.

mujun

PWEI!

petghost

Banned
Man I love pickle.hes like a riff on the artful Dodger or soelmething.Makes me wish the moon was just cockney as fuck instead of Australian.

Just a heads up: There's a side mission where you have to donate 50 white rarity weapons. Save up those whites!

Currently level 16. As much as I love Borderlands, I forgot how annoying some missions can be, lol.

MoonGred

What is everyones performance like on pc? With a gtx970 it's all over the place for me drops from 180fps down to 50fps. From what I can tell its not physx related, the drops occur in small confined spaces.

I'm liking this game so far. Decided to take a little different approach for a playthrough; I'm playing three characters. I've got a Level 11 Gladiator, Enforcer and Lawbringer. Well, Gladiator's now Level 16 after going through some more story missions. The plan is to level a class 5 or so levels, then play the other two and do the same thing. So far, this game seems more fun to replay than Borderlands 2. That may soon change, but we'll see. I like all three classes and how they play. Gladiator might be my favorite, with Enforcer as the close second.

I really like how the characters are now more vocal during the main game. They talk to quest givers, to each other(in multiplayer)...it makes the extra playthroughs with every class much more interesting in my opinion. Getting to play it from their perspective, this is a very welcome addition to Borderlands; I want to see it in all future games from now on.

I've managed to loot three legendary items so far. One Cat O' Nine Tails(picked up in the chest after RedBelly) and two Bonus Package grenades(got them in rapid succession, actually).

I think I've been more lucky here than my time in Borderlands 2.

BigDug13

I'm liking this game so far. Decided to take a little different approach for a playthrough; I'm playing three characters. I've got a Level 11 Gladiator, Enforcer and Lawbringer. Well, Gladiator's now Level 16 after going through some more story missions. The plan is to level a class 5 or so levels, then play the other two and do the same thing. So far, this game seems more fun to replay than Borderlands 2. That may soon change, but we'll see. I like all three classes and how they play. Gladiator might be my favorite, with Enforcer as the close second.

I really like how the characters are now more vocal during the main game. They talk to quest givers, to each other(in multiplayer)...it makes the extra playthroughs with every class much more interesting in my opinion. Getting to play it from their perspective, this is a very welcome addition to Borderlands; I want to see it in all future games from now on.

I've managed to loot three legendary items so far. One Cat O' Nine Tails(picked up in the chest after RedBelly) and two Bonus Package grenades(got them in rapid succession, actually).

I think I've been more lucky here than my time in Borderlands 2.

I think Borderlands as a series could due well with an "adventure mode" like Diablo 3 once you've beaten the campaign with a character. I got really tired of holding Claptrap's hand through BL2 to sanctuary as well as the rest of the Jack quest, especially when the game ended up with more DLC content then the main game, yet we still had to do that same old original story to unlock each playthrough with every single class. It made it so that I ended up playing the DLC less than the main disc content.

Top Bottom