• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands the Pre-Sequel! |OT| GENDER EQUALITY!

SerTapTap

Is it just me or are (some) story missions far longer than they were in prior games? I just went through about 3 missions in the moon base roughly the length of the trail to the Warrior in BL2

Not sure how I feel about weapon balance. Almost everything feels useless next to this Moxxie electric continuous laser gun

Oh hey, my character actually says words in this one.

It's so nice. Also people refer to you directly...usually. Still called "the vault hunter" (even in a group) on occasion, and enemy lines still call me "he" as Athena on occasion, but eh.

petghost

Banned
Is it just me or are (some) story missions far longer than they were in prior games? I just went through about 3 missions in the moon base roughly the length of the trail to the Warrior in BL2

Not sure how I feel about weapon balance. Almost everything feels useless next to this Moxxie electric continuous laser gun

It's so nice. Also people refer to you directly...usually. Still called "the vault hunter" (even in a group) on occasion, and enemy lines still call me "he" as Athena on occasion, but eh.

I noticed that there is hardly ever a "meet me back in Concordia" at the end of missions zo I've spent considerably less time there than I did at sanctuary. It seems like once you are done one place you just get sent off to another and God knows if there is a fast travel station in between. I used to just wind up at the hub now I gotta make an effort to get back and grind guns or whatever.

I think borderlabds narrative stuff is pretty restrained by the fact that you may be in a group or 4 different characters solo so the little lines of dialogue by vault hunters is a nice step to making it feel you are a part of the story...but it's not much.

Mohasus

I feel like I'm missing a lot because I didn't play the DLC from the first game. :(

I didn't even know Moxxi was Jack's girlfriend nor that Jack was in the first game. And it seems like Mordecai is with her now or something.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Played for about an hour or two tonight. Pretty much more of the same from Borderlands 2 which is both good and bad depending on your take on things. Not sure that I'm a big fan of the O2 thing at the moment; it doesn't realistically seem to ever be an issue, which then just begs the question why it's there to begin with? Also I really didn't like Jack's voice; not sure if it's the same actor, but sounds very different to me. Probably intentional, but it really bugged me; I actually liked his dialogue more than in Borderlands 2, but the voice itself is really outputting.

Far and away what bugs me the most is what they STILL haven't fixed - WHY DO YOU NOT AUTOMATICALLY PICK UP AMMO/MONEY/HEALTH FROM CHESTS YOU OPEN? Like, holy goddamn shit what are they doing over there. Drove me up the wall in Borderlands 2, and it's far and away my biggest complaint still. There's a million things to open, it's a completely unnecessary additional step, and I can't conceive of why it's still this way. Fucking baffling.

Totally agree with you re the pickup thing. That really needs to go into Borderlands 3.

Re Jack's voice. The further along you get in the game, the more the VA sounds like he did in Borderlands 2. So my guess is he just had to get warmed up. (Also, woah, the VA sort of looks like Jack in the game.)

BigDug13

I feel like I'm missing a lot because I didn't play the DLC from the first game. :(

I didn't even know Moxxi was Jack's girlfriend nor that Jack was in the first game. And it seems like Mordecai is with her now or something.

That wasn't in any DLC. That was all information revealed in BL2. A few missions mentioned it and Moxxi gives you a quest in Opportunity to get revenge.

-MD-

Hopefully someone can answer this for me, does Athena have better gear options for her Xiphos/melee tree than Zero had for his Bloodshed tree?

That was Borderlands 2's biggest failing (outside of the bad endgame), Zero was forced to use a specific shield and a specific gun to stay relevant.

SerTapTap

Anyone that have tried playing with friends and having the non hosts lag like unbearably bad?

I lag almost not at all with one friend, moderately with another, and someone said it was unplayable connected to the second

I noticed that there is hardly ever a "meet me back in Concordia" at the end of missions zo I've spent considerably less time there than I did at sanctuary. It seems like once you are done one place you just get sent off to another and God knows if there is a fast travel station in between. I used to just wind up at the hub now I gotta make an effort to get back and grind guns or whatever.

I think borderlabds narrative stuff is pretty restrained by the fact that you may be in a group or 4 different characters solo so the little lines of dialogue by vault hunters is a nice step to making it feel you are a part of the story...but it's not much.

I mostly enjoy the professionally smartass quips Athena makes, Maya also has some fun lines but combat-only of course.

Mohasus

Ugh, looks like I'm going to have to grind a few levels before I can take down RK5.
Any tips?

I'm in the same boat. Reached him at level 21, died so much killing the guardians that I'm almost 23.

edit: destroyed it in the second try after getting level 23.

Nokterian

Finally played a few hours,loving it soo mutch more fun with the low gravity and love the classes! Also they did a excellent job with the pc version. PhysX on ultra and everything else no fps drops. Walking on elpis looking up to the sky is amazeballs,have to say i like it more then Borderlands 2. 2k Australia did fine job of making a good and stable pc port.

Gotta say, this game is considerably more difficult than the prior games. Enemies are much more mobile and the vertical movement makes it harder to acquire targets. I don't mind the challenge, though.

It's true. It gets frustrating at times, while playing solo. They needed to tweak the difficulty better.

I'm not dying constantly, or a ton, but it's a pain sometimes. (I'm a pretty good gamer, too. Not the best in the world or anything, but I do well and play a lot of games on hard.)

I'm now level 11, and I still kind of feel the same. It's become a bit more fun, but it feels like a lot of deja-vu without a big wow factor. Still, it's a good game - just not a great one, imo. Borderlands was fantastic, BL2 was great, this is the worst one thus far.

(I also agree about no auto-pick up for things. It's annoying, especially when you're OCD about chests like I am and have to pick up everything.)

Mohasus

I thought the first 10 chapters were easy. And I was underleveled in most of them.

edit: even the last boss is easy. I was 5 levels under him and still beat it.

im on playthrough 2 right now towards the end. I skipped most side missions and am at level 40. I am fighting enemies that are level 46 and 47. Guess its time to go back and do side missions, because this just became impossible

Yado

Decided to take my points out of the skill that replaces wolf when it's destroyed. idk if it's just me but I've never seen either of my surveyors get destroyed, at this point I'm not sure if they can even be damaged.

I'm at about level 42 and I feel like I've finally hit my stride with Wilhelm. I decided to go with his left and right skill trees which cater to saint and wolf, their mid-tree skills seem more useful than the ones at the end.

Decided to take my points out of the skill that replaces wolf when it's destroyed. idk if it's just me but I've never seen either of my surveyors get destroyed, at this point I'm not sure if they can even be damaged.

I'm at about level 42 and I feel like I've finally hit my stride with Wilhelm. I decided to go with his left and right skill trees which cater to saint and wolf, their mid-tree skills seem more useful than the ones at the end.

They can get damaged (you can see their health bars on the pop-up that shows the timer) but I've never seen mine get killed yet

Also, finally finished the "To Arms!" mission so no more worrying about junk common weapons

Yado

They can get damaged (you can see their health bars on the pop-up that shows the timer) but I've never seen mine get killed yet

Also, finally finished the "To Arms!" mission so no more worrying about junk common weapons

I can understand Wolf being too fast but Saint just hangs around in front of you (sometimes blocking your line of sight), it does seem to have a shield so maybe that protects it.

Where do you get that quest?

Sothpaw

Peaked at 65K players today on Steam. Borderlands games are really huge on PC. I just finished the haunted area quest. Make sure you guy repair the quick travel station on that one...

Love playing as Wilhelm. Painting targets with Wolf makes everything a breeze.

GamerSoul

I'm actually having fun with Melee Athena. The Kenetic Aspis is perfect for approaching large groups and I finally got the Rend skill which causes bleeding. Gotta love having the ability cause enemies to freeze and bleed at the same time :p I think I'm dieing more than I'd like to some badasses lol but I'm having fun.

cHinzo

Finally got to play the game for a few hours, since my new laptop just came in today! Gotta say the moon looks pretty, but it's a bit of a boring landscape. Disliking the Oz kits and the O2 system so far. Even though there are plenty spots to refill ur oxygen, it still feels like a restriction. Enjoying Wilhelm atm though. Still don't know which tree to max first. I got my first couple of points in the Hunter Killer tree, but I feel quite squishy. Hope the game gets better... Not living up to my hype in the few hours I've played.

petghost

Banned
I'm actually having fun with Melee Athena. The Kenetic Aspis is perfect for approaching large groups and I finally got the Rend skill which causes bleeding. Gotta love having the ability cause enemies to freeze and bleed at the same time :p I think I'm dieing more than I'd like to some badasses lol but I'm having fun.

I heard there is a roid shield that makes melee Athena super broken. Think it's called the shooting star?

I think I got to the following point in Borderlands 2:

The floating city was blown up

How much do I have left, d'you think?

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Truthfully the whole space zero gravity / air system is a huge fucking pain in the ass. Esp since their jumping mechanics suck along with general geometry of level design, which causes players to first of barely make it onto some objects, next sliding off of things.

Also world is way too under populated and the "new" monsters are pretty poor quality in design compared with the actual real series.

The voice work is irritating also.

With all that asides, while its nice having a new borderlands game with a fresh cast, seriously they need to get the original team back on the project. Since this most def feels like a step backwards.

Largest reworking that needs to be done is weapon handling most def. Nothing feels satisfying to shoot as usual. Also going into aimed mode for non optical sight equipped weapons they still didnt try to improve the iron sights or make them somewhat viable.

If Borderlands 3 (big IF they even make one) is going to be made they seriously need to step up their game combat / mechanics wise.

Truthfully the whole space zero gravity / air system is a huge fucking pain in the ass. Esp since their jumping mechanics suck along with general geometry of level design, which causes players to first of barely make it onto some objects, next sliding off of things.

Also world is way too under populated and the "new" monsters are pretty poor quality in design compared with the actual real series.

The voice work is irritating also.

With all that asides, while its nice having a new borderlands game with a fresh cast, seriously they need to get the original team back on the project. Since this most def feels like a step backwards.

Largest reworking that needs to be done is weapon handling most def. Nothing feels satisfying to shoot as usual. Also going into aimed mode for non optical sight equipped weapons they still didnt try to improve the iron sights or make them somewhat viable.

If Borderlands 3 (big IF they even make one) is going to be made they seriously need to step up their game combat / mechanics wise.

I agree with you for the most part.

It's a tough game to review, because it's more Borderlands (which I loved the first two times around, especially the first) and it has more to it than Destiny. It's more fleshed out. However, I'm still only feeling a 7/10 on this, which is what I gave Destiny.

It's because it's a step backwards and feels old hat. It's still good, but nothing great. The air thing can get annoying.

If it wasn't for DLC, I'd probably beat it then return it under a satisfaction guarantee.

I posted this in the Steam OT, but I will also ask here.

When I play Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel, randoms spots on the screen flash black, or something like that. I had the game auto-adjust the settings, and they weren't set to the lowest, so my computer should be fine running it. Anyone know what the problem is?

Parakeetman

I agree with you for the most part.

It's a tough game to review, because it's more Borderlands (which I loved the first two times around, especially the first) and it has more to it than Destiny. It's more fleshed out. However, I'm still only feeling a 7/10 on this, which is what I gave Destiny.

It's because it's a step backwards and feels old hat. It's still good, but nothing great. The air thing can get annoying.

If it wasn't for DLC, I'd probably beat it then return it under a satisfaction guarantee.

It most def is a better loot game than destiny, hell it even has more actual story content to it and characters existing in the world. And as lifeless as Borderlands cities are in general, still out does destiny in that too sadly...

Though the only thing destiny has a leg up on is the gunplay. Since in general combat feels satisfying on top of melee actually feeling like you are hitting your target.

Its not a bad game by a long shot, though Id say its not 60 USD good either...

Really do dig the new characters though apparently a lot of thought went into creating them and the skills which is appreciated.

MrDaravon

Yeah, I'm about 6 or so hours in and really not feeling this very much at all, coming as a HUGE Borderlands 1 and 2 fan (both games were my GOTY their respective years), although I was kinda tired of the Borderlands style of humor by the end of all the DLC for 2.

-The O2 mechanic seems totally unnecessary as a whole. You're never really in any actual danger of dying from running out of O2, and even when you do run out it takes foreverrrrrrrrrrrr for your health to actually run all the way out. It just winds up making it totally arbitrary, so why even have it? The double jump and butt slam still could have been added as mechanics separately.

-The low gravity and verticality makes dealing with encounters and some obstacles really annoying. Outside of the subjective fact that I really don't like how your character moves in low gravity, the games seems to just throw waves and waves of enemies at you from various locations, and having to deal with enemies that are dropping off of high ledges directly above you, butt slamming you, and then having their explosions/butt slams knock you away as well as when they die sometimes having their items scatter to the winds is super annoying to deal with. The actual aiming and shooting feels fine, but everything else is just a hindrance; it's something I can deal with, but it's not really fun.

-Almost all of the quests and dialogue feel super farmed out/phoned in or just tired at this point. Like I mentioned above I love the first two games to death but by the end of everything in Borderlands 2 I feel like they really tapped the well dry in terms of humor and writing, and this is just more of the same but actually worse. Sometimes it feels like they're intentionally acknowledging it and sometimes not, but it's missing like 99% of the time. I've only laughed out loud twice at this point, and most of the dialogue or quests are getting either eye rolling or "fucking really?" out of our group.

-Still has the Boderlands problem of there being a bajillion guns, but most of them are shit, which leads to awkward phases of the game where you don't feel effective. This along with a few other mechanical things I was hoping they would smooth out in this one but apparently not (although I am glad to hear that the New Game + curve is supposedly much better in this).

At this point the whole thing just feels like an uninspired and safe continuation that is largely a chore to play, and isn't at all interesting story or dialogue-wise. I'll stick with it a bit longer, but I'm honestly not sure I will even bother beating it. Pretty disappointed, VERY glad I decided to rent this the last minute from Gamefly instead of buying it.

I can understand Wolf being too fast but Saint just hangs around in front of you (sometimes blocking your line of sight), it does seem to have a shield so maybe that protects it.

Where do you get that quest?

It's a side mission you get pretty early on in the game (I want to say it's from the Triton Flats Bounty Board but I'm not 100% sure). You have to drop off 50 white (common) weapons. After every 10 you have to do a little task and then once it's finished...well I won't spoil that part. You get an Orange quality Oz Kit as the reward.

Celcius

°Temp. member
question about the final boss:

How many times do I have to kill him? He keeps reviving...

edit: nevermind, had to kill him 3 times. A shotgun to the face does wonders.
[

Parakeetman

It's true. It gets frustrating at times, while playing solo. They needed to tweak the difficulty better.

I'm not dying constantly, or a ton, but it's a pain sometimes. (I'm a pretty good gamer, too. Not the best in the world or anything, but I do well and play a lot of games on hard.)

I'm now level 11, and I still kind of feel the same. It's become a bit more fun, but it feels like a lot of deja-vu without a big wow factor. Still, it's a good game - just not a great one, imo. Borderlands was fantastic, BL2 was great, this is the worst one thus far.

(I also agree about no auto-pick up for things. It's annoying, especially when you're OCD about chests like I am and have to pick up everything.)

seriously with how shit the sensitivity settings are on consoles esp when in aim mode on top of having humanoid enemies doing evasive dodge that players cant do its highly irritating. makes so that you need to pop off a shot to get them to dive in a direction first then start blasting them.

Parakeetman

-The O2 mechanic seems totally unnecessary as a whole. You're never really in any actual danger of dying from running out of O2, and even when you do run out it takes foreverrrrrrrrrrrr for your health to actually run all the way out. It just winds up making it totally arbitrary, so why even have it? The double jump and butt slam still could have been added as mechanics separately.

-The low gravity and verticality makes dealing with encounters and some obstacles really annoying. Outside of the subjective fact that I really don't like how your character moves in low gravity, the games seems to just throw waves and waves of enemies at you from various locations, and having to deal with enemies that are dropping off of high ledges directly above you, butt slamming you, and then having their explosions/butt slams knock you away as well as when they die sometimes having their items scatter to the winds is super annoying to deal with. The actual aiming and shooting feels fine, but everything else is just a hindrance; it's something I can deal with, but it's not really fun.

yep agreed would have quoted more but that was a long post lol.

they should have gone with jetpacks instead. since at least wd would have different colored booster exhaust. the whole zero grav and o2 system is useless and more of an irritation than anything. there is good reasons why other games keep such mechanics for just a small part of the game. shit gets old fast. its not even like we really can jump high enough to constantly take advantage of the mid air bonuses. doesnt help it that they added mobility to the humanoid enemies.

Worst idea with the writing is going way too heavy on the Australian slang. Accents are great and all but when you start to constantly use slang only someone whos actually familiar with the culture then you pretty much failed as a writer. Since so far have been seeing way too much of that. Am sure there are those who totally confused by this.

Donrule01

Banned
I continue a game with a friend who is hosting. I had 7 golden keys last save.. Start game and I have 22 keys. I only did one Shift code for one key since we last played wtf? Lol

Parakeetman

I continue a game with a friend who is hosting. I had 7 golden keys last save.. Start game and I have 22 keys. I only did one Shift code for one key since we last played wtf? Lol

pop dat loot while you can lol thats pretty awesome.

If you get homing ones they're generally the most productive of grenades or just a mirv and carpet bomb everything.

actually i prefer the longbow types as i know exactly where they will go.

Donrule01

Banned
Hopefully this isnt a game ending glitch.

My friend and I got the AI CORE...We have to catch a train and we need to get three Echo's to mimic a persons voice for the door lock. Thing is we go to the first Echo and it fell through the floor while fighting in the room. We got the other two but my friend was tired so we went to town and saved and quit.

Anybody have stuff like this happen? PS3 version btw.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Just finished it on normal. I'll start TVHM in the morning. I don't know if this is a spoiler but:
Finished it in 18 hours at lv 27

stuck on the last boss on true vault hunter mode. lvl 44 right now, it seems impossible. None of the remaining side quests I have are worth jack for xp. Guess I have to go farm random enemies some where. Killing them is faster for xp than doing most missions in the game...kind of sad

Edit: was able to beat it at lvl 45...whew

BigDug13

It's annoying when the aircraft uses bombs that blow you back behind buildings where there is no way out of it. If you lack the grenades or rockets to kill yourself, you have to exit the game and start over with a fully populated zone.

The game seems like it's going to be really long to me. I've put in 9 hours on Athena and I'm only level 14. Not sure where people were saying it's too short. Unfortunately so much of it is filled with backtracking and travel times because there's a serious lack of fast travel stations in this game. The quality of life in fast travel feels worse than even BL1.

Enjoying the game and I'm a huge BL fan, but this one definitely deserves the lowered scores it got. Needs more uniques too. Just in the Southpaw Steam and Power zone alone you had the chance at 4 unique guns. Not to mention the tons of quest reward guns. So far this game is lacking those special weapons. The only items with red writing I've gotten so far are still those first 2 I started with because of loyalty rewards and those 2 Oz canisters you get to choose from early on.

It's nice seeing more blues and purples in the vending machines too. And the complete elimination of skins being sold as the special item of the day makes me happy.

Why have they toned down the gore of the series over the years? In the first game you'd dismember and decapitate people which was satisfying, and the games are still rated M despite no longer having any of that.

Parakeetman

Why have they toned down the gore of the series over the years? In the first game you'd dismember and decapitate people which was satisfying, and the games are still rated M despite no longer having any of that.

its so they can have a single version over all regions is the official answer.

and it sucks since that was part of what was awesome with the first game.

Labrys

Got it today, I'm about 11 hours in. Having fun so far.

Both of us are playing as Claptrap so that has been... interesting, to say the least. I really enjoy Clap's action skill though, they way it references all the vault hunters from 2 was a nice touch.

A few things that bugged me were the voice acting and some of the quests. I find it kind of jarring that most new characters have Australian accents, not that it's bad, it's just weird. I've fond some of the side quests can drag on too, like the whole Pickle line of them. We finished the last one and goddamn I'm sick of the kid.

Waiting until we finish to see how it stacks up to 2, though.

SoulUnison

Banned
its so they can have a single version over all regions is the official answer.

and it sucks since that was part of what was awesome with the first game.

I miss electrocuting people and watching them crackle and sizzle until their heads exploded.

Elemental effects in BL1 were all much more varied and satisfying.

Top Bottom