• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands the Pre-Sequel! |OT| GENDER EQUALITY!

Yado

Sorted out the glitch, beat the final boss and got no legendary weapon. :/
Really enjoying the reward from Jack at the end though

found the room that pays homage to mario lol

Guys, knowing that we're not too many, why don't we list our ID's and system we're playing to have better co-op and not having to deal with randoms?

Also, a general question to you all, do you think the loot system is better here than previous entries?

Guys, knowing that we're not too many, why don't we list our ID's and system we're playing to have better co-op and not having to deal with randoms?

Also, a general question to you all, do you think the loot system is better here than previous entries?

I only ever played solo before (on consoles). This is my first time on PC. To me it seems the same. Stuff drops all the time which is mostly just vendor/grinder material but that's normal to me.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...

I don't usually do direct MP. Especially since the BL series are they only FPS's I play. I don't even have a headset.

Sidenote: Nyteshade517, who is that on your avatar?

Belfast

Got it today, I'm about 11 hours in. Having fun so far.

Both of us are playing as Claptrap so that has been... interesting, to say the least. I really enjoy Clap's action skill though, they way it references all the vault hunters from 2 was a nice touch.

A few things that bugged me were the voice acting and some of the quests. I find it kind of jarring that most new characters have Australian accents, not that it's bad, it's just weird. I've fond some of the side quests can drag on too, like the whole Pickle line of them. We finished the last one and goddamn I'm sick of the kid.

Waiting until we finish to see how it stacks up to 2, though.

Most of them have Australian accents because Elpis is a parody of backwoods/frontier Australia as much as Pandora is a parody of backwoods/frontier America.

BigDug13

These are the orange drops I mentioned earlier...

iXqlGvQlVDo60.jpg

iEHv1Dl6zOHAm.jpg

Those are BL2 legendaries lol. Did they just copy and paste the entire BL2 item list and just add some new ones?

petghost

Banned
I like these new classes but find myself missing zero and gaige as well. You think allowing people to play classes from older games could work in borderlands 3? Maybe with slightly modified skill trees? Kinda sad to see those unique archetypes with unique gameplay styles just get tossed out.

petghost

Banned
Boo, I always dismiss weapons that use more than 1 ammo. And 4? I'd never use it.

But it's laser ammo...that ammo pool is ridiculously deep. It's a rail gun too I doubt you gonna be burning through a ton of ammo if you are using it right.also How you gonna dismiss like 60% of the guns in the game including some of the best?

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
But it's laser ammo...that ammo pool is ridiculously deep. It's a rail gun too I doubt you gonna be burning through a ton of ammo if you are using it right.also How you gonna dismiss like 60% of the guns in the game including some of the best?
I haven't actually started TPS. The box sitting in my apartment waiting for me to play after BL2. I was just using my biases from BL2 where I refuse to use multi ammo guns (especially sniper rifles).

What I always dismiss are weapons with zoom that aren't sniper or rocket launchers (or those laser weapons that are like rail guns). I really hate when I get an awesome SMG but it has zoom, is uncomfortable.

I just got the grinder to work. How do i use it? I need 3 weapons of the same type (i.e. snipers) AND the same rarity ?

I just got the grinder to work. How do i use it? I need 3 weapons of the same type (i.e. snipers) AND the same rarity ?

3 weapons of the same rarity. If they are the same type, you'll get something better (probably of a higher rarity). Google "borderlands grinder recipes" to know more.

Still playing through the campaign with three characters. Got my Gladiator to Level 23, Enforcer to 21, Lawbringer to 19. Once I get Enforcer to 23, I'll do the same with Lawbringer.

Going to put them on hold for a bit though. Got convinced to start a Claptrap playthrough from my other friends, since none of us did one yet. So far, he's a lot more fun then I imagined. I pegged him as a character better suited for multiplayer, but he seems to be good in single player too. Going Boomtrap spec. Simple, but I want to get him up to my other characters pretty quickly.

Boo, I always dismiss weapons that use more than 1 ammo. And 4? I'd never use it.

The Excalibastard is awesome. I'm using it on my other three classes, and it does a lot of work Freeze an enemy, then melee them to death. Also, there's a chance that you'll explode with a small ice nova that freezes all enemies around you. All in all, it's a good weapon to get.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Had no idea this was even a thing until I saw an advert on tv the other night
Shame it's not on PS4 as I need a game to play with the housemates

Labrys

Most of them have Australian accents because Elpis is a parody of backwoods/frontier Australia as much as Pandora is a parody of backwoods/frontier America.

Interesting! I wasn't aware of that; I know very, very little about Australia as a whole.

We're about 22 hours in now, trying to take our time. I'm convinced the stupid grinder is rigged.

nubbe

27 hours in and I am really loving this game

Best part is that O2 really function like a power-up and never really interfere
It is quite fun to rush in and buttslam thing too

Vending machines are actually offer useful deals now, never used them in B2

It feels like story progress is more fluent than in B2

TVHM was a nice surprise too
dickalisious

OMG I LOVE YOU PICKLE!!!

maouvin

Those are BL2 legendaries lol. Did they just copy and paste the entire BL2 item list and just add some new ones?

Not the entire list, but yup. I think half of the legendaries on TPS were taken directly from BL2. And there there are some who were simply renamed (there's an SMG that is the Bitch, but with another name).

------

Hoping to finish Normal today, so I can go back to other games lol.
Or maybe I'll just try to finish TVHM to start farming, hmm.

Lethal

Neo Member
Started today. 4 hours in. Didnt activate the fast travel at Concordia so now I have to hoof back through 2 zones to get there.

Eh...tomorrow.

-PXG-

The last boss/ raid boss drops a legendary laser in reference to the Fifth Element called The ZX-1. The To Arms quest gives you a lengedary Oz Kit called Support Relay

BigDug13

It's like Borderlands 1 to Borderlands 2 all over again!

They might have copied the names from BL1 to 2, but they weren't the same thing because the entire loot system was changed.

These are literally the Borderlands 2 guns/grenades with Borderlands 2 pieces being rolled. The only change is the extreme ramping up of damage as you level has been toned down.

slop101

Banned
I'm "only" on level 13. Few things.

First, I'm really enjoying it, even with it's issues. Coming hot off of Destiny, which I sorta had to force myself to play (not because it was bad, just that I didn't feel I was accomplishing anything), I'm having a lot more fun with this, and am in the opposite predicament, where I actually have to force myself to stop playing.

I'm 50/50 on the oxygen thing. I don't like how you have to keep filling up with air, even when there are lots of places to do so. And I hate that the fire element doesn't work, even though that makes sense. I do enjoy the low gravity though.

I'm loving the Grinder (which I just opened up), and this should be game onto itself; looking for guns just to feed into this thing.

The story and characters have been pretty enjoyable too, even if they're bit too "Aussie".

I do hate that I still have only 2 weapon slots available to me at level 13. What's the point of that? I'm spending way too much time in the menu swapping weapons, when there is no reason to not allow me to equip 4 weapons right off the bat, or at least far sooner.

Anyhoo, good or bad, while it may not feel like a true sequel, it is more than just glorified DLC.

Bigby

First, I'm really enjoying it, even with it's issues. Coming hot off of Destiny, which I sorta had to force myself to play (not because it was bad, just that I didn't feel I was accomplishing anything), I'm having a lot more fun with this, and am in the opposite predicament, where I actually have to force myself to stop playing.

I'm 50/50 on the oxygen thing. I don't like how you have to keep filling up with air, even when there are lots of places to do so. And I hate that the fire element doesn't work, even though that makes sense. I do enjoy the low gravity though.

I'm loving the Grinder (which I just opened up), and this should be game onto itself; looking for guns just to feed into this thing.

The story and characters have been pretty enjoyable too, even if they're bit too "Aussie".

I do hate that I still have only 2 weapon slots available to me at level 13. What's the point of that? I'm spending way too much time in the menu swapping weapons, when there is no reason to not allow me to equip 4 weapons right off the bat, or at least far sooner.

Anyhoo, good or bad, while it may not feel like a true sequel, it is more than just glorified DLC.

I didn't like it at first, but there are so many places to refill. Now I am fond of it, it'll be shame not to have low gravity in next game.

Those slots are annoying as hell, I hate that I have to swap weapons every few seconds.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
That or the avalanche coupled with Moxxi's probe make you pretty much unstoppable.

Especially burning stuff with a hellfire.

Yeah it's never sat right with me that Gearbox decided to just make 'one version' for everyone with Borderlands 2 onwards. I mean, I understand it, but the game lives on its combat/loot and the elemental effects in Borderlands 1 are just that bit more satisfying to make things slightly more fun IMO. The death screams haven't been as good as Borderlands 1 either. Not gamebreaking by any means but to provide them and then take them away makes me disappointed regardless.

-PXG-

Oxygen is a non issue 99% of the time. There are so many O2 bubbles, vents and cans laying around. You have to be REALLY careless and straight up dumb to suffocate. It doesn't hinder exploration at all, which was my initial concern.

BigDug13

Totally agree with you on the Weapon slot complaint. By level 14 I had all 4 unlocked in BL2, but here I was level 14 on Athena and still hadn't unlocked the third slot? Ridiculous.

I think that needs to go away in general. No reason not to let the player have all 4 gun slots right away. I did like that you get to unlock your action skill at level 3 in this instead of level 5, but that's another area where I feel like they should just give you your action skill right away. Make it not even something you put a point into. If they want to wait till level 4 or 6 to start to give you more points, fine, but at least give the action skill right away. It's the defining aspect of the class. That isnt something you're supposed to "unlock" based on increased experience.

E92 M3

Oxygen is a non issue 99% of the time. There are so many O2 bubbles, vents and cans laying around. You have to be REALLY careless and straight up dumb to suffocate. It doesn't hinder exploration at all, which was my initial concern.

I am just wondering why they should included it at all. In general, I think timers (unless optional) are dumb in open world video games.

BigDug13

Is that first blue Oz canister that gives you health per O2 drop the only Oz canister with that attribute? I find myself choosing it on each character and then never replacing it. It's just so damned good. Basically it makes every enemy drop tons of health refills when outside. It's so good I actually don't activate the O2 beacons because I want to have my air depleting so I can refill health on every kill.

MattyG

Banned
What's the best build for Athena? I've been putting my points in the green one (I'm only lvl6 right now though) momostly due to the healing shield ability. Are there any better abilities I'm missing in the other two?

And how taxing is PhysX? I have the game maxed out at 1080p and running smoothly right now, but PhysX are set to medium. I'm wondering if I can keep that stability at ultra.

I've been soloing the entire time and I'm only at level 11 with Athena after 5 hours. I feel like the last two hours have been paced incredibly slow compared to the first 3, but maybe I just need to play with other people.

BigDug13

This game seems to be all level scaled. At least the vending machines. Going back to the first vending machines in the game when you're higher level and they show up with higher leveled loot. That's great.

It also seems like the sidequest exp reward doesn't quite match the amount of time it takes to do. I have a much more streamlined advancement by plowing through the main quest and getting good exp tackling the tougher enemies.

Megasoum

Banned
So I've been playing it since last night and I'm loving it.

It's obviously nothing really revolutionary (and I wasn't expecting that anyway) but it's fun. I was going in thinking that the whole Oxygen mechanic to be a real pain in the ass but it's really a non-issue. The mobility you get out of it to is amazing. It's really the year of the double jump lol (Titanfall, Destiny, BLPS, COD).

Only minor things I would have made differently.

1-It's the third game now, give me my 4 weapon slots from the beginning... come on
2-Moonstone should be picked up automatically. I'm always afraid to miss one. Especially since the color is close to the O2 tanks.

Mohasus

What's the best build for Athena? I've been putting my points in the green one (I'm only lvl6 right now though) momostly due to the healing shield ability. Are there any better abilities I'm missing in the other two?

I went with the right skill tree. The left one is mostly party based (I played solo) and the middle one is melee based.

How many chapters are there?
11, however some are way bigger than others (especially chapter 6).

hows the performance on the ps3?

I've been playing solo (lvl 10 atm) and no major issues. Some casual drops like any UE3 game in this system.

I don't know how it is when on online co-op since nobody join my game. Looks like I'm full with Claptrap like this lol

GamerSoul

Yesss, just beat the game. I was fortunate enough to get a shield that helped me near the end. Using a Melee Athena was tricky at first but after reaching that capstone it made it all worth it. I love flying through battle field. Lol. And the ending imo was great as a fan of the story. :0 now I want BL3.

Top Bottom