• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands the Pre-Sequel! |OT| GENDER EQUALITY!

BigDug13

Got it today, I'm about 11 hours in. Having fun so far.

Both of us are playing as Claptrap so that has been... interesting, to say the least. I really enjoy Clap's action skill though, they way it references all the vault hunters from 2 was a nice touch.

A few things that bugged me were the voice acting and some of the quests. I find it kind of jarring that most new characters have Australian accents, not that it's bad, it's just weird. I've fond some of the side quests can drag on too, like the whole Pickle line of them. We finished the last one and goddamn I'm sick of the kid.

Waiting until we finish to see how it stacks up to 2, though.

I think that's part of why it isn't as funny to me maybe. It seems too entrenched in Australian culture. And that's fine really, why not have a game that appeals more to them. They're a big country. It's just not nearly as funny to me as 2.

I think this game is the weakest solo game though. It's just not nearly as much fun as the others when alone. Guess I'll exclusively play this one with others. Not that there's anything wrong with that either. I just usually experience the story the first time alone in games like this so nothing gets skipped, but it's too laborious this time to do so.

MrDaravon

I think this game is the weakest solo game though. It's just not nearly as much fun as the others when alone. Guess I'll exclusively play this one with others. Not that there's anything wrong with that either. I just usually experience the story the first time alone in games like this so nothing gets skipped, but it's too laborious this time to do so.

Totally agree. Played for a while this morning to make some progress while no one else was on and yeaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

Neo Geo

Neo Member
Come on now Gearbox (or 2K Australia; or Iron Galaxy), announce the PS4/Xbone post of this game. It's kinda hard for me to see all those Shift Codes dropping and guns blowing.

HT UK

Wish I would've looked at the Claptrap skill tree before picking the character :p

Tempted to restart as Athena. Or is it worth just sticking it out with Claptrap?

If anyone wants to boost achievements on the PC release (
win a duel
and
revive 10 times a player with O2
as far as I know), shoot me a pm so we can arrange that for both of us.

Tabby

Wish I would've looked at the Claptrap skill tree before picking the character :p

Tempted to restart as Athena. Or is it worth just sticking it out with Claptrap?
Athena has a tree for her shield, another for melee and one for dealing elemental damage.
If that appeals to you then go ahead.

No idea how claptrap plays though so.

-PXG-

From what I saw, Claptrap has a lot of risk vs reward. Every buff comes with some sort of draw back. Choose him if you like that sort of stuff.

Full specced Riflewoman Nisha with a mix of Fan the Hammer is brooooooken.

GamerSoul

From what I saw, Claptrap has a lot of risk vs reward. Every buff comes with some sort of draw back. Choose him if you like that sort of stuff.

Full specced Riflewoman Nisha with a mix of Fan the Hammer is brooooooken.
When I play her I'm definitely using those trees. It looks fun.

So far Melee Athena has been a great experience for me. I'm still trying to get better at causing enemies to bleed and then letting them die on their own because I regain a bit of health for each enemy that is bleeding now. Can't wait to reach that cap stone.

One of my fairly personal gripes. Athena's different heads have been meh so far. The defaults are still the best.

I have to change the resolution every time I start the game up, it won't save the setting once I quit, it does for other graphics settings. anyone else experience this? Any suggestions?

Mistel

Banned

Claptrap plays pretty alright has some benefits for teams but most things are a bit of double edged sword. It's fun but randomness in your action skill can comeback to haunt you at moments.

NotLiquid

So I beat the first actual boss of the game (Deadlift) and wow did I have a lot of issues with him. I don't know if I just came in woefully unprepared but the lack of any vendors before the battle made him a real pain in the ass to deal with well after having died multiple times. His shield was kind of ridiculous and I only got pretty lucky in camping and using Athena's shield + a long distance burst fire gun. Maybe I'm still a scrub as far as this franchise goes but despite the area layout being pretty intuitive and creative, that was a really frustrating boss.

I also have to say that I'm not a very big fan of the way this game handles double jumping. Whenever you move its more like an extended hover mechanic. While its nice I really wish there was an -actual- double jump in this game since I'm quite fond of the added verticality this game has to offer.

bronk

Banned
I heard that some people were getting motion sickness playing this game. Anyone getting that? Im really sensitive to that which sucks. I played Borderlands 1&2 no prob.

BigDug13

So I beat the first actual boss of the game (Deadlift) and wow did I have a lot of issues with him. I don't know if I just came in woefully unprepared but the lack of any vendors before the battle made him a real pain in the ass to deal with well after having died multiple times. His shield was kind of ridiculous and I only got pretty lucky in camping and using Athena's shield + a long distance burst fire gun. Maybe I'm still a scrub as far as this franchise goes but despite the area layout being pretty intuitive and creative, that was a really frustrating boss.

I also have to say that I'm not a very big fan of the way this game handles double jumping. Whenever you move its more like an extended hover mechanic. While its nice I really wish there was an -actual- double jump in this game since I'm quite fond of the added verticality this game has to offer.

He's deadly from long range but pretty weak at close range.. Just take that first jump pad and hang around the stairs area between those two levels and wait for him to come to you. Do you have that Loyalty Rewards blue Hyperion shotgun? If so he drops pretty quickly to that. The stairs is a safe zone if he electrifies the floor.

He seemed impossibly difficult when I tried to fight him from long range. Don't bother. Let him fall into your close-range trap. Since doing that with each character, I've never died to him again.

PS4/XB1 release is pretty much inevitable after the new year.

It will probably be released in January like the Tromb Raider HD version was.

petghost

Banned
I heard that some people were getting motion sickness playing this game. Anyone getting that? Im really sensitive to that which sucks. I played Borderlands 1&2 no prob.

No idea what would cause that... The new movement stuff certainly isn't jarring or anything. In fact it's kinda understated Things look and feel very much like bl2 so I think you should be fine.

I also hope they keep the aerial movement stuff in the next one and make it wilder as well. Borderlands needs movement as interesting and ridiculous as the guns are.

cHinzo

Yea he was a challenge with his stupid shock platforms, but a pretty fun boss imo.

I just found my first Legendary already! It dropped during a side quest from one of those not-so-cute Torks. Pretty awesome. :D

X3UpbbU.jpg

ekgrey

hmmm...other than a few minutes messing around with BL2 on PS3 after getting it free on Plus, i've not played any of the series. definitely thinking about giving this a go now that my Destiny addiction is fading. i'd love to see that style of game "done right."

Yado

I think all of the legendaries I've found except one came from the vending machines. Got Wilhelm's legendary mod this evening. If only I found it when I was at level 50.

I've also encountered a game breaking bug that's preventing me from finishing my second playthrough. :/

BigDug13

Yea he was a challenge with his stupid shock platforms, but a pretty fun boss imo.

I just found my first Legendary already! It dropped during a side quest from one of those not-so-cute Torks. Pretty awesome. :D

X3UpbbU.jpg

Grats. I'm up to 15 hours played and have yet to see a single legendary. Feels like BL2 all over again where I get to try out maybe 15% of the total legendaries available in the game because I don't do the raids.

Maybe it will be better because the quality of vendor loot is better. At least in the special item spot.

Grats. I'm up to 15 hours played and have yet to see a single legendary. Feels like BL2 all over again where I get to try out maybe 15% of the total legendaries available in the game because I don't do the raids.

Maybe it will be better because the quality of vendor loot is better. At least in the special item spot.

I was in Outlands Canyon and had 2 orange grenade mods drop today...sadly going by the stats they weren't really any better then what I already had so I just put them in my bank

The only upgrades I'm getting for my gear is through the Golden Chest in Concordia. My luck with finding chests with better loot or getting better drops is pretty poor so far. I'm trying not to burn through my keys though so I only open 1 or 2 chests every few levels. I try and keep track of new codes added so I keep my stock as high as I can.

Mistel

Banned
anyone have any good builds for claptrap?
I've been doing quite well with something like this:

Boomtrap:
  • Killbot 5/5
  • Coincidental combustion 5/5
  • Second wind
  • Load'n'splode 5/5
  • I'm rubber you're glue
  • One last thing 5/5
  • Livin' near the edge
I love you guys:
  • Maniacal laughter 5/5
  • Through thick and thin 5/5
  • Kick him whilst he's down
  • You're going to love me
  • It's a trap card
Fragmented fragtrap:
  • All the guns
  • Fuzzy logic 3/3
  • Safety first
  • Blue shell 5/5
  • Triple clocked

If fragmented fragtrap isn't your cup of tea then just take fuzzy logic and safety first and distribute the other 7 points where you want them.

I'm glad it seems the better weapon drop rate is higher in this compared to BL2. I found my second gold in a vending machine, the first was in a slot machine.

hoggert

Random Tales of Games reference with a bonus shout-out to an old Newsgrounds flash. Super neato.
If you didn't complete the quest while you were on fire, you are an enormous baka.

Random Tales of Games reference with a bonus shout-out to an old Newsgrounds flash. Super neato.
If you didn't complete the quest while you were on fire, you are an enormous baka.

If you're talking about the
basketball quest then yes...do it on fire

The ending to that one is hilarious (least it is to me)

hoggert

If you're talking about the
basketball quest then yes...do it on fire

The ending to that one is hilarious (least it is to me)

Yup! Area and NPC names shocked me. First DOTA2, and now BL2.5? TOG is officially the Lightning of obscure indie references in triple A releases.

petghost

Banned
How does everyone feel about the absence of slag? I hardly even noticed it was gone at first which I guess is a good thing. Uvhm seemed to be balanced wholely around the concept of slag so it's nice to not have to go through a 2 step process to kill e erything again.

Liking cryo a lot though nd hope they keep it.

Also noticed that off element damage seems to be more forgiving so maybe they tweaked those numbers too.

cHinzo

How does everyone feel about the absence of slag? I hardly even noticed it was gone at first which I guess is a good thing. Uvhm seemed to be balanced wholely around the concept of slag so it's nice to not have to go through a 2 step process to kill e erything again.

Also noticed that off element damage seems to be more forgiving so maybe they tweaked those numbers too.

Didn't like Slag that much to be honest. It just forced u to use it (which means one less slot to use), else u were stuck battling those weak guys for 10 minutes each. -_-
Cryo, however is pretty awesome and I hope that element comes back in Borderlands 3.

These are the orange drops I mentioned earlier...

I loved the Bonus Package in BL2. Especially the homing ones. I used to throw them at the start of a bar brawl and just sit at the entrance watching everything get blown up.

I feel that the game improves as yo advance, it's getting better and better. Like everybody says, this isn't a revolution of the formula, but god damn is it good.

I just need someone to play with on PS3

-PXG-

Is this worth full price? I loved bl2.

I got it for $47. After beating it and playing TVH mode now, I say it's worth full price. It starts slow but picks up and doesn't stop until the end. It gets better and better as you progress.

hoggert

I don't miss slag in the slightest.

Oh god, the Boganella! Had it equipped for a couple of levels now and still using it just for the dialogue. What is with video games using the term "lady boner?" First Etrian Odyssey now BL haha

-PXG-

I got the Nukem. Awww sheeeit.

Also, doing that 50 guns mission gives you a legendary Oz kit too. It's REALLY good.

th4tguy

Is everyone playing on PC? Just wondering what version of the game is going to have the most thriving community.

REV 09

yup, i'm on pc and really liking it. Started as Athena, but found her too serious so restarted as Nisha. I like Nisha's ability a lot, but the melee's really suck in this game...especially after coming off Destiny. Not too far in, but I like the moon stuff with the change of scenery, gravity, and oxygen mechanics.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I'm not sure it was necessary to give everyone on the moon an Australian accent...
Really enjoying it though.

I usually play on english, but this one I'm going with spanish language. Not feeling anything of the australian accent that way lol

As I'm sadly playing it on solo, I get the little bastard out of the vaulthunter.exe all the time. It looks like is the best claptrap action skill

Top Bottom