• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands the Pre-Sequel! |OT| GENDER EQUALITY!

Frogstep

Whait what? You're already through the game once?
How long is the story? (and did you do all the side missions?

Yep! I finished my normal run on Friday and yes, I completed every side mission. I'm at a total of 42hrs played right now but I think by the time I finished my normal run I was at maybe around 35ish hours. All side missions completed and a large amount of exploration.

Donrule01

Banned
Same Golden Key glitch happened today on my PS3 like I previous posted about. Instead of joining my friends game I wanted to do some slots. So I continued my game and went to the Shift station and there are 9 golden keys waiting to be redeemed. I have not done any codes since last glitch. Back up to 29 keys now lol.

BigDug13

So whats the overall impression of the game then? mainly interested on how the classes play

Claptrap is a bit too random for most people.

Nisha Is powerful as fuck with her shooting skill that comes back very quickly. Using something like a Jacobs pistol means lots of crits for huge damage everytime. The auto lock puts you in crit location often. My fastest advancing character so far.

Athena is the best tank that Borderlands has ever had with full immunity in the front 90 degrees during her 11 second action skill. You can spec it and add class mods to make it last 80+ seconds with less than 15 seconds downtime, so greater than 50% of the time having immunity on front quarter.

Wilhelm is powerful with 42 second reuse timer drones that seem to be better than Axton turrets while still being able to recall them early to save reuse timer like axton's turret. His protector bot is quite good.

Claptrap has the potential to be ridiculous or poor depending on what action skill gets rolled up when you use it. So he's a bit trickier and probably my least favorite for that reason. The game is quite tough and having a character with that much randomness seems even more advanced than advanced classes of prior games.

Overall great class implementation in a game that is "decent" by BL standards but might be the weakest of the three to be a solo player in.

maouvin

Just beat my first playthrough (with Nisha). I had the great idea to fast-travel back to Concordia before the final boss and then I discovered you can't go back there via fast-travel. Had to walk all the way back, and kill RK5 again. Just awesome. Thanks for putting a blue fast-travel station that only works one way, devs.

Liked the game so far, but there's some BL1 DLC level of backtracking on this one. If only we could always use vehicles, but no, go exercise, Vault Hunter.

Now to rest a bit, play some other things for a change and then come back for raids or TVHM or both.

Saprol

Multiple Claptrap parties are a hilarious mess with bombs and fiestas. Plus unfortunate funzerking in combination with anarchy, one shot wonder, or when somebody needs a revive.

Overall great class implementation in a game that is "decent" by BL standards but might be the weakest of the three to be a solo player in.

I disagree, only because of the fact that the characters are actually involved in the story with their dialogue--something that the other two Borderlands was sorely lacking in. If that's your thing, then the solo experience will be awesome, and it is for me.

This has made me much more involved in what's going on, at least from a single player perspective. This is the first Borderlands game where I'm doing multiple playthroughs of every class before actually outright beating the game first. I've spent 43 hours on the game so far, and I have yet to beat it once. My Gladiator has 16 hours, Enforcer 10 hours, and Lawbringer 10 hours as well. Claptrap is bringing in the rear with nearly three hours, but he'll be caught up to the other three before I beat the game with my Gladiator.

BigDug13

I disagree, only because of the fact that the characters are actually involved in the story with their dialogue--something that the other two Borderlands was sorely lacking in. If that's your thing, then the solo experience will be awesome, and it is for me.

This has made me much more involved in what's going on, at least from a single player perspective. This is the first Borderlands game where I'm doing multiple playthroughs of every class before actually outright beating the game first. I've spent 43 hours on the game so far, and I have yet to beat it once. My Gladiator has 16 hours, Enforcer 10 hours, and Lawbringer 10 hours as well. Claptrap is bringing in the rear with nearly three hours, but he'll be caught up to the other three before I beat the game with my Gladiator.

Wasn't talking about story. Only class implementation as well as quest implementation and enemy difficulty and quest frustration which made this game the weakest of the three as far as solo ability. Yeah it's more entertaining from a "now my character talks" standpoint, but outside of that, I feel that it is the weakest solo game of the three from a gameplay standpoint.

Sothpaw

Just finished playthrough 1, 23 hours doing every single quest as Wilhelm. Really enjoyed the game, no problems playing as Wilhelm whatsoever. 2K Australia can not make characters anywhere near as well as Gearbox can though. Still, will level to max and purchase all DLC like always.

I think this is a very fun game but the weakest of the three and miles behind the greatness of Borderlands 2.

I agree. Really glad I played the game and will continue to do so. But the previous 2 are better.

Chorazin

Is there a difficulty slider in this one? My GF is getting incredibly frustrated playing it (she loved Borderlands 2 and played through it multiple times) and I'd hate to see her quit.

Sothpaw

Is there a difficulty slider in this one? My GF is getting incredibly frustrated playing it (she loved Borderlands 2 and played through it multiple times) and I'd hate to see her quit.

No; but I will say that I breezed through as Wilhelm using the leftmost skill tree. It was super easy. She probably wants to use a girl character though; I hear Athena is also really easy.

Chorazin

No; but I will say that I breezed through as Wilhelm using the leftmost skill tree. It was super easy. She probably wants to use a girl character though; I hear Athena is also really easy.

She played through 2 as Axiom, so the gender doesn't matter much. She's around level 15 with the other girl, the gunslinger.

Now I know how she feels when I'm swearing at a game or just don't like a game!

Mistel

Banned
She played through 2 as Axiom, so the gender doesn't matter much. She's around level 15 with the other girl, the gunslinger.

Now I know how she feels when I'm swearing at a game or just don't like a game!
You could do splitscreen with her if that would help. Maybe get her to try Wilhelm if she like Axton's turrets as that's the only current pet class.

Sothpaw

So guys, same deal as BL2 when it comes to sidequests in TVHM? Wait to level 50 before you accept the quests with unique rewards (E-Gun and Oz kit from the donate 50 white guns comes to mind).

Mistel

Banned
So guys, same deal as BL2 when it comes to sidequests in TVHM? Wait to level 50 before you accept the quests with unique rewards (E-Gun and Oz kit from the donate 50 white guns comes to mind).
Pretty much yes hit 50 then complete the quests and farm the reward for correct parts if you're so inclined.

bronk

Banned
No idea what would cause that... The new movement stuff certainly isn't jarring or anything. In fact it's kinda understated Things look and feel very much like bl2 so I think you should be fine.

I also hope they keep the aerial movement stuff in the next one and make it wilder as well. Borderlands needs movement as interesting and ridiculous as the guns are.
Guy from Giantbomb said it made him sick. Something about slow movement on moon or something I dont kno lol the most random things make me sick so I was just curious

wow...was just soloing the raid boss in true vault hunter mode. Got to his second form, a friend joined me, then he reset to his first form as if I never even started the fight. So yeah, if you ever want to completely fuck over a friend, join them when they are far into the raid boss fight...it resets the boss for some reason. Probably could have beat him too. Only needed two more transformations done

Mistel

Banned
Can you please explain that real quick? Not familiar with that method.
Basically making the reward have the parts and accessories you want by quitting if it's not what you want. It's a bit of a pain but worth it in the end, easier with say a cher amie than a pimpernal the less options the better.

Level cap play is a real downer, just as it was in previous installments of the series. The Grinder helps, but they really need to do something more engaging than rush to boss, kill , reload, repeat. It's monotonous and Diablo III/PoE made it obsolete.

The other option is vending machine farming for legendary items, but that's even worse.

edit: also could they please please please put a bigger/more noticeable effect when a legendary is on the ground. So hard to see/differentiate from cash drops in some backgrounds.

Yado

I tried to grind a couple times and gave up. Maybe had the wrong recipe idk.

The raid boss in this game isn't as hard as previous games. Did it twice with a group tonight, I think I could solo it if I tried. The combination of Saint's overcharge and claptrap's gunzerker skill is so good.

I've encountered about 8 or so legendaries today in the vending machines just by chance. I think the probability of finding one in the vending machines has been greatly increased compared to past BL games.

Sothpaw

Level cap play is a real downer, just as it was in previous installments of the series. The Grinder helps, but they really need to do something more engaging than rush to boss, kill , reload, repeat. It's monotonous and Diablo III/PoE made it obsolete.

I play Borderlands, POE, D3, Grim Dawn, TL2, etc. To me, Borderlands has a much better campaign/sidequests than all of the other loot games (by an enormous margin), but farming and end game isn't anything to write home about. I don't think they could do random dungeons like POE/D3 (maybe they could, I am no technical guru). But a D3 style adventure mode would be really cool for BL3. And a "greater rift" style ranking system would be amazing. Still though, I want them to make the campaign top notch first and foremost.

-PXG-

Level 40. Current spec

rPmD0xR.jpg

I turned the default effects back on too. BL2 looked better with them off, but this game has a lot more added effects, so when disable the black outlines in the config, it also turns off other shaders too which look REALLY nice. So, back on they go.

So, I spent all night playing this thing, and put about 6 hours into it in one sitting. I'd hoped to beat it, but I still have the final part to do.

I started to enjoy this game more as I got towards the end, but now I'm just frustrated. I spent time doing side quests, searching, etc. and completed 21 side quests en route to the final area (or at least what seems to be the final area.
I'm fighting RT5, a fighter jet
).

Now, although I thought I was doing well, I'm level 22.8 and the boss is 26, not to mention his goons which are 24-25. I had a strategy that I used to get him half-way dead, but never beat him all the way and the friend I invited in never bothered.

A couple guys joined my game, but they were too low levelled and left.

I don't mind the idea of grinding, but I don't think it's good game design to force it on people all of a sudden. It's not my idea of fun.

So, I spent all night playing this thing, and put about 6 hours into it in one sitting. I'd hoped to beat it, but I still have the final part to do.

I started to enjoy this game more as I got towards the end, but now I'm just frustrated. I spent time doing side quests, searching, etc. and completed 21 side quests en route to the final area (or at least what seems to be the final area.
I'm fighting RT5, a fighter jet
).

Now, although I thought I was doing well, I'm level 22.8 and the boss is 26, not to mention his goons which are 24-25. I had a strategy that I used to get him half-way dead, but never beat him all the way and the friend I invited in never bothered.

A couple guys joined my game, but they were too low levelled and left.

I don't mind the idea of grinding, but I don't think it's good game design to force it on people all of a sudden. It's not my idea of fun.

Did you not do any sidequest? They give a lot of xp.

Did you not do any sidequest? They give a lot of xp.

I did 21 of them, and planned to do more once I finished the game. I guess I'll have to go back and do more, though.

I didn't skimp on side quests, so I was surprised when it jumped three to four levels ahead of me. I thought I'd been doing a good job of doing enough side stuff.

I did 21 of them, and planned to do more once I finished the game. I guess I'll have to go back and do more, though.

I didn't skimp on side quests, so I was surprised when it jumped three to four levels ahead of me. I thought I'd been doing a good job of doing enough side stuff.

There is definitely a weird jump in enemy level somewhere in there.

There is definitely a weird jump in enemy level somewhere in there.

I was at the missions' levels for quite a while, then fell one behind. Before I knew it, it was three to four.

I just wanted to beat it all tonight so that I could write my review, then go back and do stuff I'd missed. A friend who's level 33 was online, but he ignored my requests, else I would've.

I guess I'll just work on it tomorrow.

That's weird, I was basically overleveled for the entire vault hunter mode. Probably has something to do with the fact that I found a luneshine (xp bonus) shotgun at a certain point.

I've read a few people on here saying that they think this game is worse for solo play than the first two Borderlands. Since I only really play these games solo, I was hoping to get some details on why those of you may think this. Is it the number of enemies they throw at you at one time? Is it the amount of damage enemies take to kill? Does the game get insanely bullet spongy on UVHM like in B2? Are there lots of Raid type bosses that are impossible without other people (I think I only beat one of those in B2 by myself thanks to the Bee shield being overpowered before it got nerfed, the few others I did all killed me basically instantly)?

From my experience with the series so far, I liked B1 through all the difficulty modes solo and B2 was good through the first two difficulties, but Ultimate vault hunter got way too unbalanced for me to find it enjoyable by myself, and the DLC had some raid style bosses that I straight up could not beat on my own (maybe they were possible on the first play through? Don't think I tried.). I never even finished all of the B2 DLC. Barely played Tiny Tina's and Sir hammerlocks, and only finished the Pirate one all the way through.

From what I've read about the classes, Wilhelm seems like a good blending of the soldiers turrets and the Mechromancers robot pal. Athena seems like a good tank which is always good for solo, and the shooter chick seems ok. Claptrap seems funny, but maybe better suited for coop play.

Yado

I've played through the entire game solo and there hasn't been a single boss I couldn't handle. You can even solo the raid boss if you're good enough. He isn't as ridiculous as the ones in BL2.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
if anyone wants to downsample with Gedosato, all you have to do is add the game to whitelist. then copy over the borderlands 2 config within Gedosato and make a new folder for BorderlandsPreSeuquel and in config file just change the name to BorderlandsPreSeuquel aswell

this is to fix the mousou cursor offset which happens in this and borderlands 2

Oxygen is a non issue 99% of the time. There are so many O2 bubbles, vents and cans laying around. You have to be REALLY careless and straight up dumb to suffocate. It doesn't hinder exploration at all, which was my initial concern.

Yeah, i only started suffocating once, because i forgot about the O2 system.

Top Bottom