• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands the Pre-Sequel! |OT| GENDER EQUALITY!

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I've read a few people on here saying that they think this game is worse for solo play than the first two Borderlands. Since I only really play these games solo, I was hoping to get some details on why those of you may think this. Is it the number of enemies they throw at you at one time? Is it the amount of damage enemies take to kill? Does the game get insanely bullet spongy on UVHM like in B2? Are there lots of Raid type bosses that are impossible without other people (I think I only beat one of those in B2 by myself thanks to the Bee shield being overpowered before it got nerfed, the few others I did all killed me basically instantly)?

From my experience with the series so far, I liked B1 through all the difficulty modes solo and B2 was good through the first two difficulties, but Ultimate vault hunter got way too unbalanced for me to find it enjoyable by myself, and the DLC had some raid style bosses that I straight up could not beat on my own (maybe they were possible on the first play through? Don't think I tried.). I never even finished all of the B2 DLC. Barely played Tiny Tina's and Sir hammerlocks, and only finished the Pirate one all the way through.

From what I've read about the classes, Wilhelm seems like a good blending of the soldiers turrets and the Mechromancers robot pal. Athena seems like a good tank which is always good for solo, and the shooter chick seems ok. Claptrap seems funny, but maybe better suited for coop play.

Fantastic characters for the players to choose from but the game itself feels a little barren. In regards to the enviro and how the enemies are spread out. Its quite unfortunate. Also the excessive zero G use gets old fast.

The new space looking humanoid enemies are cool though, what few new monster type of enemies in the game look pretty cheaply made...

Game to me is by far behind BL2.

The excessive Australian slang use totally ruins a lot of dialog too with the "new" characters. Since seriously if you are not familiar with the slang you will have no idea what the bloody hell they are saying. Which I reckon will be a lot of people. While its great that the game was made by a studio in Australia they really should have toned it back a bit more. Since its overboard personally. Also the VA work isnt the same and the humor kinda falls flat really with the new stuff. Huge let down is the lack of anything new with the existing weapons and things in some ways feel like a step backwards. Not enough variation at all. Its why I think its valid those who say that this should have just been some sort of massive DLC for BL2 instead. Even myself I question why I bought this at full price.

The good stuff is seeing what Jack was like (an asshole trying to be a good guy) was pretty amusing though. Also once again the 4 player characters are excellent personally. Lasers are pretty damned cool too.

With all that being said am going to go through the game once just to clear it and see how the story ends, but dont really want to play through it again. On top of the missions sucked generally. Also lack of "useful" locations for fast travel was even more irritating.

Am a pretty hardcore borderlands fan too which is why am quite let down overall. Still its not a bad game, but dont expect it to be anything mindblowing from after what one experienced in borderlands 2.

SerTapTap

Totally agree with you re the pickup thing. That really needs to go into Borderlands 3.

Re Jack's voice. The further along you get in the game, the more the VA sounds like he did in Borderlands 2. So my guess is he just had to get warmed up. (Also, woah, the VA sort of looks like Jack in the game.)

I think this might be kinda deliberate, he sounds a bit like a wuss in the start of TPS which is also how he sounds in some pre-handsome jack audio logs in BL2. And obviously the events of TPS turn him into the person he is in 2.

nubbe

I've read a few people on here saying that they think this game is worse for solo play than the first two Borderlands. Since I only really play these games solo, I was hoping to get some details on why those of you may think this. Is it the number of enemies they throw at you at one time? Is it the amount of damage enemies take to kill? Does the game get insanely bullet spongy on UVHM like in B2? Are there lots of Raid type bosses that are impossible without other people (I think I only beat one of those in B2 by myself thanks to the Bee shield being overpowered before it got nerfed, the few others I did all killed me basically instantly)?

B:pS is insanely much easier than B2 in solo mode
Sure, there are moments of frustration... but it would be to simple if you didnt have to look over you load out at times

I could solo the Raid boss and secret boss without to much difficulty in Normal mode @ lvl 33

TVHM takes the difficulty up a few notches, it feels like B2 normal mode :p

I think this might be kinda deliberate, he sounds a bit like a wuss in the start of TPS which is also how he sounds in some pre-handsome jack audio logs in BL2. And obviously the events of TPS turn him into the person he is in 2.

yeah, he just start out as a simple douchebag and progress towards the psycho douchebag

Yado

I don't get the complaints about the Australian slang. It's fairly easy to tell what they're referring to based on the context.

well that's a shame. any good drops from him/her/it?

Only one boss in my entire playthrough of normal/TVHM has dropped an orange weapon for me. Did the raid boss twice last night and got nothing. Not sure if that's normal or if I just have bad luck there, I have had good luck finding them in vending machines though. What I do like is all the unique weapons you can get from sidequests, some of which are just as good as orange weapons (most of which are useless lbr)

SerTapTap

So I played SK Versus all weekend instead of this, not looking forward to finding out how no one's level matches mine anymore. That's one issue they need to solve for games like this. In BL2 I had 3 regular-ish characters and still ended up resorting to Gibbed's save editor to match my friends' levels sometimes.

Been playing this the last couple days and I'm enjoying it. The oxygen thing is really not an issue, like I assumed it would be. The game's fun, but I'm not sure yet if I like it more than BL2, which I played the crap out of. I like the characters I've played with so far too (I've not tried Wilhelm yet), though the sheriff lady has the weakest action skill, in my opinion.

So far, the only issue I've come across was losing a bunch of moonstones once after playing split screen. And I definitely did not open a moonstone chest.

As for annoyances, I only have one. Playing as claptrap is very fun because of his action skill. Playing with him, though? Not so much, at least when his skill causes me to shoot nonstop. So much ammo wasted. It pisses me off.

I have characters at level 5, 10, and 15, and I'd love to play with any of you. Add me on psn if you like. My ID is "nsnsmj", w/o quotations, of course. I don't have a mic currently, though.

av2k

My review below

I give the game a 6.0 as a Borderlands fan.. lots of the humor I don't get and I'm not a fan of some of the level designs. Gameplay tree wise, I feel that they kind of dropped the balls in comparison to BL2 especially when everyone is skipping claptrap all together because of his randomness which only leaves 3 classes. I think the story is mediocre with barely any "WHOA" moments that BL2 had but oh well. Gameplay is still as fun as before which is the one of the few redeeming me as well as the addage of O2 mechanics. At this point, I'm unsure if I'm going to pick up the DLC or not.

Lanrutcon

My review below

I give the game a 6.0 as a Borderlands fan.. lots of the humor I don't get and I'm not a fan of some of the level designs. Gameplay tree wise, I feel that they kind of dropped the balls in comparison to BL2 especially when everyone is skipping claptrap all together because of his randomness which only leaves 3 classes. I think the story is mediocre with barely any "WHOA" moments that BL2 had but oh well. Gameplay is still as fun as before which is the one of the few redeeming me as well as the addage of O2 mechanics. At this point, I'm unsure if I'm going to pick up the DLC or not.

Jack and Lilith's clash at the end, and the build up to it, doesn't count as a "WHOA" moment to you? It was done way, way better than Roland's super obvious telegraphed death in my opinion.

av2k

Jack and Lilith's clash at the end, and the build up to it, doesn't count as a "WHOA" moment to you? It was done way, way better than Roland's super obvious telegraphed death in my opinion.

That does definitely count but it isn't as insane as Bloodwing's head exploding, Roland's death, Angel dying, Jack's outcry, flying fortress, the awakening of the warrior, Brick being the crimson raider's leader, and others that I may have forgotten to mention.

slop101

Banned
Level 40. Current spec

rPmD0xR.jpg

I turned the default effects back on too. BL2 looked better with them off, but this game has a lot more added effects, so when disable the black outlines in the config, it also turns off other shaders too which look REALLY nice. So, back on they go.

Heck, I wish my 360 version would just look like it's supposed to. I just played an entire long mission (Pity's Fall), with most of the textures not loaded. Sometimes the textures load late, but this time, they just didn't load at all. Even when the boss' title screen came up, it was just a blurry mess. And I didn't want to have to restart the level by re-loading the game. I did just instal the game on to my 360 to prevent this from happening again. Fingers crossed.

Gotta say that I am really enjoying this game. I was getting pretty fatigued with the series after blowing through BL2 True Vault hunter during the loot hunt and Ultimate Vault hunter was becoming a slog a few months back, picking up the PreSequel has completely reignited my interest.

One area that I am blown away by is the colorful and convincing space environments. Do a quick comparison between BL2 and the PreSequel's title screen (showing your character, landscape, and claptrap messing around in the background), so colorful! 2K Australia really created a world you want to spend time in.

The thing with this game is that it has "underbudgeted" written all over it. It didn't need to be as massive as BL2, but the assets, number of enemy types, and even the story missions (which are too often reduced to "we got to do this but -oh!- can't do that before doing this other thing") tell me that the team didn't have a large enough budget or time available to do what they really wanted. It's a miracle it didn't end up being a total mess, so big props to them.

slop101

Banned
Level 12 and haven't seen corrosive or ice guns yet.
I got a sweet ice-assault rifle from doing a mission for the nurse at around level 12. Not sure if it was random, but it's pretty sweet - it freezes the shit out of people, and far more effective than fire guns. Used to love using the fire guns in BL1&2, but because of space, they've pretty much become useless.

slop101

Banned
The thing with this game is that it has "underbudgeted" written all over it. It didn't need to be as massive as BL2, but the assets, number of enemy types, and even the story missions (which are too often reduced to "we got to do this but -oh!- can't do that before doing this other thing") tell me that the team didn't have a large enough budget or time available to do what they really wanted. It's a miracle it didn't end up being a total mess, so big props to them.
Still beats Destiny, which has even less enemy types, and missions that are essentially just horde modes, and Destiny had a huge budget.

nubbe

Different strokes I guess, but I am actually enjoying the pre-sequel more than B2
and I thought I was totally going to be unimpressed by it

It just feels more refined and I enjoy the low gravity gameplay, moar gamey

Hope they do a B3 PREQUEL before B3 :p

SerTapTap

I'm really surprised how few people are using Claptrap, the RNG probably was a really bad idea.

I actually really like the level design for the most part (I've gotten lost a few too many times though, and the "rover" vehicle is completely unsuited to most areas), they introduce verticality a lot better. Getting around is quite fun, though I'm a bit mixed on the extra mobile enemies--it makes certain weapons (SMGs in particular, that I usually use) very hard to use effectively, so I end up using sniper rifles more than I otherwise would.

Slayven

I got a sweet ice-assault rifle from doing a mission for the nurse at around level 12. Not sure if it was random, but it's pretty sweet - it freezes the shit out of people, and far more effective than fire guns. Used to love using the fire guns in BL1&2, but because of space, they've pretty much become useless.

Do they mention it anywhere fire weapons were going to be shit because of the lack of oxygen?

Do they mention it anywhere fire weapons were going to be shit because of the lack of oxygen?

Yes, it's mentioned on one of the loading screens.

They kind of make up for it by being excellent in oxygen environments. Fire lasers in particular are crazy in the right circumstances. That's not really because fire damage over time is high (it is!), but because lasers in general are nutso damage.

nubbe

They kind of make up for it by being excellent in oxygen environments. Fire lasers in particular are crazy in the right circumstances. That's not really because fire damage over time is high (it is!), but because lasers in general are nutso damage.

the loard giveth, the loard taketh

Slayven

I should pay more attention to load screens, but they go by so fast.

Mistel

Banned
In one of the side missions it's mentioned.
The ice scream it's a guaranteed reward from the quest bunch of ice holes it's that or the bar claptraps too scoops shotgun.

Still beats Destiny, which has even less enemy types, and missions that are essentially just horde modes, and Destiny had a huge budget.

Eh, I didn't play it, but it looks like destiny had a much more troubled dev cycle than The Pre Sequel :p There was some shady stuff going on it seems.

For BL3, I hope they shake up the formula a bit. I would like to see the leveling system revised. And of course I'm also waiting for the telltale game: the pre-sequel did a good job at solidifying the universe. I skilled writer could do a lot with this setting.

MrDaravon

Fantastic characters for the players to choose from but the game itself feels a little barren. In regards to the enviro and how the enemies are spread out. Its quite unfortunate. Also the excessive zero G use gets old fast.

The new space looking humanoid enemies are cool though, what few new monster type of enemies in the game look pretty cheaply made...

Game to me is by far behind BL2.

The excessive Australian slang use totally ruins a lot of dialog too with the "new" characters. Since seriously if you are not familiar with the slang you will have no idea what the bloody hell they are saying. Which I reckon will be a lot of people. While its great that the game was made by a studio in Australia they really should have toned it back a bit more. Since its overboard personally. Also the VA work isnt the same and the humor kinda falls flat really with the new stuff. Huge let down is the lack of anything new with the existing weapons and things in some ways feel like a step backwards. Not enough variation at all. Its why I think its valid those who say that this should have just been some sort of massive DLC for BL2 instead. Even myself I question why I bought this at full price.

The good stuff is seeing what Jack was like (an asshole trying to be a good guy) was pretty amusing though. Also once again the 4 player characters are excellent personally. Lasers are pretty damned cool too.

With all that being said am going to go through the game once just to clear it and see how the story ends, but dont really want to play through it again. On top of the missions sucked generally. Also lack of "useful" locations for fast travel was even more irritating.

Am a pretty hardcore borderlands fan too which is why am quite let down overall. Still its not a bad game, but dont expect it to be anything mindblowing from after what one experienced in borderlands 2.

This post puts together pretty well my feelings on the game. Even if it had been literally more of the same from BL2 it would have been better then this since I really dislike the gravity/O2 mechanics (other than the double jump), and I don't find the laser weapons particularly special. Also not caring at all whatsoever about what's going on story-wise, and I find the environments not particularly interesting, and this game has ridiculous BL1 levels of backtracking.

On the plus side Cyro is nice, and I like the expanded character dialogue and narration, even if I'm not really caring at all about what's happening in the game. Those two things I do hope they really carry forward to whatever Borderlands 3 is. I totally get why some people would be really into this, but as a massive massive Borderlands fan this was an enormous disappointment, and has actually put a damper on my excitement for the series in general which a subpar entry will do. I'm probably not even going to bother finishing this, I have zero interest in the story and mechanically it's doing nothing for me.

-PXG-

Heck, I wish my 360 version would just look like it's supposed to. I just played an entire long mission (Pity's Fall), with most of the textures not loaded. Sometimes the textures load late, but this time, they just didn't load at all. Even when the boss' title screen came up, it was just a blurry mess. And I didn't want to have to restart the level by re-loading the game. I did just instal the game on to my 360 to prevent this from happening again. Fingers crossed.

What's funny is that my image looks like ass. I wasn't even downsampling there. In-game looks so much better. Plus, pausing the game or viewing your inventory temporarily disables some shaders. Plus, Steam (and FRAPS) will not capture AA either.

So what you're seeing isn't what I see on a regular basis :p

E92 M3

wow...was just soloing the raid boss in true vault hunter mode. Got to his second form, a friend joined me, then he reset to his first form as if I never even started the fight. So yeah, if you ever want to completely fuck over a friend, join them when they are far into the raid boss fight...it resets the boss for some reason. Probably could have beat him too. Only needed two more transformations done

Did you still beat him?

-PXG-

Oh. I also modified the config a bit, making all shadows and textures set at 4096, among other tweaks to eliminate pop on nearly altogether.

My rig runs this all in 60 fps, only dipping to the 50s when shit gets craaaaaaaazy.

cHinzo

Really digging the weapons atm. Got Moxxi's laser weapon and a purple corrosive pistol from the Golden Key chest. Both have only 1.6s reload speed, crazy accuracy and great damage. Reached level 19 with my Wilhelm and me and my buddy are blasting through the map. The game really picked up some steam after the very slow start. Cant wait to get to lvl 50 and farm for my equip, but we dont like to rush through the story. >.> The moon environments are kinda same-y and boring though.

Not sure why but I'm really not feeling the game so far. It just seems like everything is there just to give you more bullshit to worry about. Oz? Why? Damn does this get annoying considering it acts as a double jump limit too. The floaty jumps also seem to end up getting me killed more or less consistently when I'm trying to get somewhere while being shot. The environments feel like they had very little thought put into them as I'm regularly running into invisible walls despite looking like it would be a valid way to get where I'm headed and so far all areas have looked very samey other than the city.

Now I'm stuck in the most horribly boring quest choices following the most annoying mission I've had to play in a long time thanks to a little brat named pickle. I can either do a failable timed quest (sad to see they're back) or a mission to turn in 50 damned guns. Everything else is really low level and the main quest mission is a bit much for me right now since the boss is manhandling me. All I wanna do is get back to the main characters like Jack and Moxxi to follow the story but I'm stuck in what feels like and Australian time lapse of jokes I don't even get since I'm not from Australia, and would even question if an Australian could make any sense of.

I love Borderlands but this game just ended in a quit to desktop from sheer boredom and lack of choices for anything fun to do. Never felt that in the other games but something about this game is just serving to frustrate me instead.

slop101

Banned
Now I'm stuck in the most horribly boring quest choices following the most annoying mission I've had to play in a long time thanks to a little brat named pickle.
Yeah, I just finished that, and it just didn't seem to end. That mission and going through it's levels just felt interminable. It does pick up after that, however.

And man, do I hate the failable missions, especially if they're timed.

Labrys

Yeah, I just finished that, and it just didn't seem to end. That mission and going through it's levels just felt interminable. It does pick up after that, however.

And man, do I hate the failable missions, especially if they're timed.

I do as well. There's one later on that the Hyperion President gives (Tasseter? I can't remember his name.). At least it has the decency to not make you go all the way back to the quest board to restart it.

Labrys

1) Nisha

...just reminding you that you should have rolled Nisha by now...

2) Everyone else that isn't Nisha

I'm playing claptrap right now. My next character is going to be Wilhelm and then I'm going for Nisha.

I just got the high five for Claptrap, though. It's nice... when it works. 1/2 the time the game doesn't register the high five for me.

Lanrutcon

I'm playing claptrap right now. My next character is going to be Wilhelm and then I'm going for Nisha.

I just got the high five for Claptrap, though. It's nice... when it works. 1/2 the time the game doesn't register the high five for me.

Nisha's action skill text in the game is bugged. It should read 'Press F and hold down your left mouse button to initiate the violent end of every living being in your vicinity via the excessive auto-targeted expenditure of ammunition'.

Oh, and she has skills that plants high yield explosives inside every enemy you've shot, make your bullets ricochet and give you permanent dual wield.

Just sayin.

petghost

Banned
Melee Athena looks the most ridiculous to me. Then nisha . The difference is that that roid shield might get nerfed and nisha is an inherently ridiculous design. Everyone seems solid though...hope it doesn't wind up like bl2 where some chars get a bad deal as the level cap is raised.

Claptrap is crazy if shit works out...like getting funzerker on a boss trivializes the experience even more than showdown sometimes.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Finished my first playthrough last night.

My thoughts on

Story:
Jack is my favorite character out of all the Borderlands games, so I was excited to hear that the Pre-Sequel ("BTPS") was going to be telling his story. While I appreciate the opportunity to see the circumstances of Jack's "fall" from heroism (he's betrayed once (the Meriff tries to kill him when his back is turned)), then he chooses to take the easiest way forward (erasing Felicity instead of copying her, spacing all the scientists instead of determining who is the double-agent), which leads into the final double-cross by Lilith and co. that puts him over the edge, topped off by Lililth destroying his face and shutting down his opportunity to learn from the Vault on Elpis), I was disappointed that we didn't learn more about Angel and Angel's mother and how (or if) Jack's experiences in this part of his life may have driven his overwhelming desire to unlock the secrets of the Vault. It's such a weird omission too, as he directly speaks with Angel a few times during the game. But we don't learn anything new about her and Jack's relationship with her. If you haven't played B2, you would never even know who she was (unless I missed an Echo message? I'm bad at finding these, so maybe there was some back story here that I just didn't see). I found Jack's feelings about his daughter to be probably the most interesting part of his story in B2, so BTPS's failure to involve Angel in any substantial fashion and to include any interactions between Jack and Angel (beyond Jack asking her for info on people), was disappointing. Also, I was bummed that we didn't see any of the Vault Hunters from B2. Hopefully both Angel and the B2 Vault Hunters will appear in some way in the DLC.

Gameplay: I really loved the slam and low grav mechanics, to the extent that when the game took them away in some areas, I got annoyed that I couldn't move the way I could in low gravity. I hope they figure out a way to include low grav and slam in B3, otherwise it will feel like a step back.

I love how cryo and lasers were the stars of BTPS's combat this time around. Lasers in particular were godly (the
Oz
laser saw me through the last third of the game, I hardly used anything else). That said, I was never a fan of slag in B2 and I hated having to keep a slag weapon around to do any damage in TVHM in B2. So even though the cryo effect damage is fun in BTPS (particularly with airborne enemies), I hope that you don't have to keep a cryo weapon around in TVHM in BTPS before you can start laying some hurt down.

Level Design: I usually get lost at some point during Borderlands games, due to the inability to zoom in on the minimap. Usually it's not too annoying, because the devs use non-map indicators (e.g., lighting) to show me the correct path. I thought that, generally speaking, BTPS did not do as good a job with non-map pathfinding as the other two games did. I was constantly getting lost, much more than I ever did in B1/B2. Maybe the devs were trying to force me to use my brain, which is a valid point, but I will cop to some frustration in some areas re the question of where to go next. That said, I could just be getting lazy, as I feel developers have gotten really good at non-map pathfinding in the last few years, to the extent that I rarely have to check my map/mini-map in other games. In BTPS, I'm usually checking the map every five minutes.

Otherwise, I enjoyed the environmental diversity in the maps - Elpis really has a lot of different environments for a moon, lol. My favorite map was probably the
Helios map in space - those jump pads were a lot of fun.

NPCs/Quests: The game is definitely shorter than B2 (it feels like the last act is missing), and there are some maps that seem strangely empty (e.g., the one just before you head down the
pit to the final boss
only had three side-quests on it, which is just wrong ;)). Also, I felt there were fewer memorable NPCs in BTPS, compared to the first two games. You never really got the sense that the
Meriff
is a threat or even a major character, in the way that other NPCs are in the other Borderlands games. I did like
Felicity and Tassiter
, but the other NPCs were not really that memorable to me, save for
Pickle, who is unavoidably unforgettable because his argot is so extreme he sounds like a refugee from a Dickens novel.

Things that REALLY need to be in Borderlands 3:

Dialog/Echo Log: I thought you could review dialog logs in B2, but maybe I'm misremembering. In any case, it sucks that you're not able to review quest dialog or echos in BTPS, as it would be helpful to see what you missed if you aren't playing close attention to what NPCs are telling you for whatever reason (say, bandits trying to kill you) or when you have quest overlap (due to picking up new quests in quick succession or turning in a quest when the NPC is still trying to tell you about another quest or step in the current quest).

Automatic pickup of cash and ammo: This has been mentioned previously in the thread, but it's 2014, you don't need to ask me whether I want to pickup ammo, moonstones/eridium, or cash. The answer is always yes. Guns and other items (shields/mods) should still prompt for pickup.

Gun info: The gun info screen in the bottom right-hand corner should include info re the type of weapon (shotgun/rifle/sniper), as it's not always evident from the shape of the gun on the screen (except for obvious things like rocket launchers).

Third-person viewpoint and/or camera mode: for sharing purposes (Youtube, screenshots), but mostly because I would like to see how I look like when I trigger the disco ball/duck modes as Claptrap.

In-game narrative by Player Characters: I loved the inclusion of Player Character dialog in this game. A silent PC works in some games (Dead Souls), but in nearly all instances I feel a greater, not lesser, connection with my PC if I hear their voice. If Half-Life 3 ever comes out, it will be jarring to go back to silent Gordon again.

Final ranking (best to worst): B2-->BTPS-->B1. I will definitely be picking up all the DLC as the B2 DLC is probably the best/most value-packed DLC I've ever played. I really hope rumors are true and
a Jack body-double (perhaps Timothy from the Echo recordings in Jack's office?
) is one of the new player characters.
I know he's a psycho, but I really like Jack as a character. He's such an asshole, but for whatever reason, he's a very charismatic asshole, and I would love the opportunity to play as him (also, it should be very amusing from a narrative standpoint).
And of course I'm there day one for Borderlands 3. Hopefully the rumors of a multiple-planet/multi-vault game are true!

Top Bottom