• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands the Pre-Sequel! |OT| GENDER EQUALITY!

Labrys

Nisha's action skill text in the game is bugged. It should read 'Press F and hold down your left mouse button to initiate the violent end of every living being in your vicinity via the excessive auto-targeted expenditure of ammunition'.

Oh, and she has skills that plants high yield explosives inside every enemy you've shot, make your bullets ricochet and give you permanent dual wield.

Just sayin.

Holy shit.

I may go for her next then Wilhelm because that sounds incredible.

-PXG-

My overall impressions/ mini review. Spoilers ahead!!!

It’s really no secret that TPS isn’t as robust as BL2. Laser and cryo weapons were a nice and much needed addition. Oxygen and low gravity wasn’t as annoying as I thought it would be. In fact, it was quite pleasant and added a new dimension (literal verticality at times) to enemy encounters. There are new shaders and effects that make colors pop and all sorts of lighting and glowing bits more noticeable. Also, I could be wrong, but I do like how NPCs aknowledge your character by name. I don’t ever recall them doing that in the previous games. I enjoyed the interaction your character had between NPCs much more than I ever did before. Best of all, the grinder machine is closest thing to weapon crafting we have seen in a Borderlands game. Hopefully this is explored even further in the future. For me, crafting is my number one most wanted feature. It would add a lof of depth and add near countless more play time to an already long game.

Whether or not the numbers tell a different story, the game does feel shorter, emptier, has fewer things to do and lacks those levels and moments that make you say, “OH SHIT” out loud or stick out in your mind. I was really hoping Concordia would be a more interesting and bustling hub. Oh well. Pity’s Fall, Tycho’s Ribs and all of entire collection of Hyperion areas were by far the most memorable and best looking of bunch. I actually like the final boss and I think they finally got it right. I do wish there were better raid and secret bosses though. There is always DLC. However, TPS failed to do what BL2 and even BL1 did well, which was to giving you an adversary that had a constant presence throughout the game that you had to face in the very end. Zarpedon, I guess, is that figure, but the final boss is so random and out of left field, despite being a fun fight, you, as the player, have next to zero attachment to it. You don’t have any feelings. There is no history, no tension and no sense of hatred towards this figure. It felt good to finally face The Warrior and Jack himself in BL2. There was no sense of that kind of anticipation or build up in this game. The ending was good though, don’t get me wrong. But that sense of progression, and things coming full circle, in regards to the final encounter, would have been on needed cherry on top for me.

However, that is not to say the game has no sense of progression at all. TPS has a steady build up until the climax, which oddly, is at the VERY end of the game. I really like how they handled Jack’s character. I really like him in BL2 and like even more so in this game. He’s a total asshole, no doubt, but in the beginning, you actually got the impression, despite his own greed and desires, Jack wants to do something good. As things go from bad to worse and as his plan falls apart and becomes increasingly more difficult, Jack’s patience and his sense of duty towards Elpis fades. The tension and stakes keep rising and don’t let up. Things become darker and much more serious as you progress. By the time you reach the end, Jack snaps, loses his mind and finally completes his transformation to lunatic he was in BL2. After everything is said and done. You will have a good sense of who everyone is and what is going on in the game’s universe. And yes, it’s pretty obvious at this point that they’re setting everything up for the inevitable Borderlands 3.

petghost

Banned
in my dream borderlands 3 you can pick vault hunters from previous games....cuz i miss gaige and man its a bummer to see all those unique deisgns and gameplay styles just get tossed out in favor of new ones every game.

when i think about bl3 im not sure what they can really do to make quests something different from go here kill that or hey get this thing put it here, oh no we need another thing go get that and put it here. these quests are bearable because they often have a fun character talking to you whilst you go about doing the menial tasks. i'd love to see more variety in the mission types.

i wonder if they could ever manage more than one action skill per character, the action skill is definitely more all encompassing than a skill in say diablo but the build variety that would come out of multiple action skills would be ridiculous.

Mistel

Banned
i wonder if they could ever manage more than one action skill per character, the action skill is definitely more all encompassing than a skill in say diablo but the build variety that would come out of multiple action skills would be ridiculous.
Vault hunter.EXE is pretty much that in a nutshell.

petghost

Banned
Vault hunter.EXE is pretty much that in a nutshell.

That is true but it's not something you can really build around other than to add more modes to the mix . I wonder if people will be able to consistently activate a certain mode or small set of modes (like mechromagician or pirate ship) using the criteria it lists on screen.

Mistel

Banned
That is true but it's not something you can really build around other than to add more modes to the mix . I wonder if people will be able to consistently activate a certain mode or small set of modes (like mechromagician or pirate ship) using the criteria it lists on screen.
You can do that but you'd be doing it with the default action skills plus pirate ship so you'd still have the pick based around those five which probably results in a lot of over lap even with the criteria it picks them.

Dimefan3

I'm enjoying the game so far, but I have one small gripe, and I'm wondering if anyone else has found this as well...

When you join co-op mode, other players missions seem to get transferred to your log, which is fine, however the game tends to skip half of the story of not just those missions but it also seems to fast forward any missions you're on, skipping some key moments.

I switched from solo to co-op last night, and all of a sudden I had already found
Moxxi
, and ended up in the middle of one of her missions, and had no idea why.

Mistel

Banned
I switched from solo to co-op last night, and all of a sudden I had already found
Moxxi
, and ended up in the middle of one of her missions, and had no idea why.
That's the way the co-op is sometimes if the person has already done it an they're the host it will make it so it's complete on your end.

I guess I'll spend the evening levelling up, before taking on that boss. I don't mind doing side quests, but it's weird that it jumped so far ahead of me. I was playing intelligently.

petghost

Banned
I guess I'll spend the evening levelling up, before taking on that boss. I don't mind doing side quests, but it's weird that it jumped so far ahead of me. I was playing intelligently.

i also got to a point where there were a ton of skull enemies... if you dont mind a bit of grinding the darksiders in triton flat always scale to your level i think so i hung out round there and ground it out for a bit before save quitting and repeating. i think this nets you more xp per time spent than going round doing sidequests, without the benefit of quest rewards of course.

Mistel

Banned
Well, Playing as Athena and it seems as if she could be almost immortal
Keep Moxxi's probe and she pretty much is couple that with a reaping bloodthirster class mod for added melee damage and health regen much isn't going to stop you.

GamerSoul

I think overall I'll order the games like this (it could change):

BL2 > BL: TPS > BL1

Game play wise, this game is my favorite and I hope certain mechanics like double jumping and slamming return in future titles. I'll probably create a list of pros and cons down the road.

Is it just me, or is making jumps in vehicles a lot harder in this game than previous Borderlands games? I feel like 3/4 of my deaths are from missing a jump that should have been really easy.

Mistel

Banned
Is it just me, or is making jumps in vehicles a lot harder in this game than previous Borderlands games? I feel like 3/4 of my deaths are from missing a jump that should have been really easy.
The moon zoomy definitely is harder to jump stingray is about the same.

Tabby

Wow you guys weren't kidding about those power spikes in the last few missions.
From 1 quest to the next quest it jumps a few levels, it's stupid.

Also, melee Athena tree is stupidly fun.
So satisfying to just melee from one goon to the next.

I think overall I'll order the games like this (it could change):

BL2 > BL: TPS > BL1

Game play wise, this game is my favorite and I hope certain mechanics like double jumping and slamming return in future titles. I'll probably create a list of pros and cons down the road.

Because I have a love affair with Borderlands, I'd maybe go:

BL1-BL2-BL:TPS

...even though BL2 improved on things and was, itself, great.

cHinzo

Just finished the campaign and man, the last boss fight was so fcking tough, but amazing to fight against. Felt a lot more satisfying to beat than most bosses and raid bosses from the Borderlands series. It didn't have cheap one shots or gimicky ways to beat it, but just required the player to dodge his skills and to make use of the environment while trying to take him down from a particular side, which is awesome. Finished the normal mode on lvl 27. Trying to get some nice equip to jump into TVHM. Found two legendaries in de vending machines today (grenade and oz kit) and one legendary fell in a pit when that guy was floating over it and died mid-air. ;___;

The Vibra-Pulse is my favourite gun atm. Hope I can get one at lvl 50.

Megasoum

Banned
Why can't the moonstone be picked up automatically like money? Bleh

Also I've been spinning those pump valves for a good 5 minutes now.

Yado

Just finished the campaign and man, the last boss fight was so fcking tough, but amazing to fight against. Felt a lot more satisfying to beat than most bosses and raid bosses from the Borderlands series. It didn't have cheap one shots or gimicky ways to beat it, but just required the player to dodge his skills and to make use of the environment while trying to take him down from a particular side, which is awesome. Finished the normal mode on lvl 27. Trying to get some nice equip to jump into TVHM. Found two legendaries in de vending machines today (grenade and oz kit) and one legendary fell in a pit when that guy was floating over it and died mid-air. ;___;

The Vibra-Pulse is my favourite gun atm. Hope I can get one at lvl 50.

You'll get another around level 30 something but if you go to Concordia manually instead of fast traveling you can open her chest whenever you like (I feel like they're probably going to fix this in a patch). A lot of people seem to like this gun but I wasn't very impressed by it.

Apt101

At a certain point Nisha is a walking nuclear weapon, yes. I was running with two friends, one Wilheim and the other Athena, and we are pretty much unstoppable. A guy from work wants to play but he won't go Clap Trap. :(

petghost

Banned
My ranking would be BL2>BL:pS>BL1

This seems to be a lot of people's opinion and I agree as well. I hear a lot of people who think the first game was the peak but I don't see it man... Maybe they just hate where the writing went cuz the gameplay got a lot more interesting in 2 imo.

I am very confused by the grinder. I did the tutorial mission and ground(?) three weapons and completed the mission. But now after when I go to try and grind things it won't let me. I tried putting it with purples, blues, and greens. Totally confused. Do you need a certain amount of moonstone? Both the grind and moonstone grind options are greyed out. I am just being dumb and missing something?

H2Yo

There is no way I could play this game, those fucking Australian accents.... WE DON'T SOUND LIKE THAT! It's straight out racist.

I am very confused by the grinder. I did the tutorial mission and ground(?) three weapons and completed the mission. But now after when I go to try and grind things it won't let me. I tried putting it with purples, blues, and greens. Totally confused. Do you need a certain amount of moonstone? Both the grind and moonstone grind options are greyed out. I am just being dumb and missing something?

Can't grind 3 purples from what I've done, has to be 3 like colored weapons, grenades, or shields I believe. Can't mix em up. 2 pistols and a shotgun of the same color work fine, but two shotguns and a grenade won't.

Apt101

I think BL2 was a crowning achievement really, especially factoring in Tina Tiny's DLC which was so good I was legitimately shocked. It was fucking amazing. BL:pS has really good gameplay elements but it lacks character and humor.

-PXG-

After some testing...

"DefaultPostProcessName=WillowEngineMaterials.WillowScenePostProcess"

This single line here governs a lot more effects than it did in BL2. In BL2, changing this line would disable the black outline. In TPS, changing this will do the same, but, in addition, result in A LOT of shaders, bloom effects, light shafts and other various effects being disabled. So, I suggest leaving it on in this game.

I'm on my second play through and this time I left that line in the config in it's original form. The game looks sooooooooo much better and just pops. The difference wasn't this drastic in BL2. Not even close.

Again, people on PC, don't change this line in the config as you did for BL2. You will be missing out on a lot of great effects. An SMAA injector set at ultra and downsampling will do the trick and help reduce aliasing for all the black outlines.

slop101

Banned
Can't grind 3 purples from what I've done, has to be 3 like colored weapons, grenades, or shields I believe. Can't mix em up. 2 pistols and a shotgun of the same color work fine, but two shotguns and a grenade won't.
There has to be more to it than that. I tried grinding 3 blue pistols and it wouldn't accept that.

nubbe

I think BL2 was a crowning achievement really, especially factoring in Tina Tiny's DLC which was so good I was legitimately shocked. It was fucking amazing. BL:pS has really good gameplay elements but it lacks character and humor.

my braun cant comprende

i was smiling and chuckling the whole ride
Even as a Swede I get almost all of the jokes from the commonwealth

AND PICKLE IS AWESOME YOU CAN ALL GO TO HELL

Anyone want to help me kill the raid boss on normal, so I can complete the quest and get the achievement for completing all the quests? I am currently on right now on Steam. Username: ziggygod lvl 29 Athena

BigDug13

There is no way I could play this game, those fucking Australian accents.... WE DON'T SOUND LIKE THAT! It's straight out racist.

For one, Borderlands is all over-the-top. Also, this was developed by 2K Australia and voiced by Australian actors. I figured Australians would actually be more inclined to buy a game developed at home. It's supposed to be a rip on backwoods Australia like parts of Borderlands 1 and 2 was a rip on backwoods America.

Exuro

The New Directions mission is bugged. First time I killed the 3 guards and it didn't trigger the next part, so I left the area, reentered, and it triggered the next part of the question which was to go through a garage door but it won't open : / I think I need to like reset the area since I killed everyone there and only the guards respawned.

My Minnesotan relatives find Fargo offensive and think the accents are hugely exaggerated, regardless of the fact that to everyone else they (being my relatives) sound like that.

Either way, it's a 2K Australia game with Australian voice actors ripping on backwoods Australia.

Labrys

Finished it tonight. Clocked in at 28 hours after beating the
raid boss

I liked it! It wrapped up my confusion of pre-BL2 nicely and I like the
cliffhanger they added at the end. It did however actually make me kinda dislike Lillith, it showed how irrational she is and it sorta bugged me.

Gonna start my second run through sometime this week, probably. Before Bayonetta 2 comes out at any rate.

Lanrutcon

Don't take it seriously. It's Borderlands. If you're feeling offended, consider how Scooter makes Americans look.

Apt101

my braun cant comprende

i was smiling and chuckling the whole ride
Even as a Swede I get almost all of the jokes from the commonwealth

AND PICKLE IS AWESOME YOU CAN ALL GO TO HELL

Sweet, glad you liked it. I was pretty lukewarm to the whole campaign. It did have some moments though, just nothing compared to the relentless absurdity of BL2 IMO.

I just played this from 11pm until 6:30am, and finally beat it just before stopping. A lot of the time was spent grinding, doing side missions and playing with others -- many of whom I asked to join me and help me finish the game because I'd heard that the final two bosses were really difficult. Here, actually.

Anyways, I got to level 25 and then took on the boss I was stuck on. I eventually beat it, but it took a few tries, and I used one of Moxxi's tonics for a damage boost. Then, I progressed a bit myself before two others joined me for the next boss and helped out. Well, one did; the other just stood there most of the time.

Once they left, I took on the final boss and beat 1/3 of it myself. The one guy who stood there came back with a level 14 Claptrap, but didn't come in. He just stood at the entrance and trolled me like a douchebag. I couldn't change weapons and couldn't pause to take a break, which made things harder. However, I did well until he left and then another guy entered and helped me out.

I'm glad I'm finished with it, because the concluding level spike really pissed me off and made me sink more time into the campaign than I wanted to. I was hoping to finish off one or two other games I'm near the end of before today.

If it wasn't for the DLC and my completionist attitude, I'd return this in a heartbeat, because I won't play the core game much anymore. I'd rather just get my money back and put it towards something else.

It's not bad; it's just nothing special and I have the two much superior BL games.

av2k

Bah, I wish there was a way for them to have all the data server side.. I see so many duped oranges in games that it really defeats the purpose of loot hunting. :\

shiba5

Anyone else love the Hammerlock quest "Home Delivery"?

Help Hammerlock illegally export two baby Threshers (one of which is named Terry) to Pandora. What could possibly go wrong?

Top Bottom