• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bound by Flame |OT| Free the fire

DrTeflon

Great video. I was starting to think I was the only person that really enjoyed this game for what it is, sans a few blemishes or course.

I'm with you, posted my review recently. It has his fair share of issues but that is the kind of thing that drives me to play those kind of RPGs. I had a similar feeling with Gothic 4. Was it perfect? No, it has some big flaws, but still its enjoyable as hell and I would totally recommend it to someone that can look past those flaws.

Zafir

So is this game the new Deadly Premonition?
In the "unpolished-but-somehow-kinda-fun-turd" category?
Nah the game play isn't a broken mess like Deadly Premonition. The gameplay is fine, it just doesn't do anything new and has some blemishes here and there.

Tex117

Banned
I was hoping this was going to score a little better. Usually I agree with Gamespots reviews.

Not spending 50 bucks on this. 20...maybe. Dang it. I was really hoping for a decent RPG...Guess I'll wait until Fall.

Ricker

Wow,the physical copy actually has a little instruction manual lol ;) (PS4)

Going to start this up later today.

Hawk SE

Agreed. It won me over enough to play 2 total play throughs which is crazy for me.

Same here. I was insanely frustrated for a moment than realized it was more my fault than anything and then the fun began.

That's what I thought at first, until I was seeing that there were some serious design flaws in the combat. And considering that's a good majority of the game, soured my experience.

Karak

That's what I thought at first, until I was seeing that there were some serious design flaws in the combat. And considering that's a good majority of the game, soured my experience.

Man I didn't see anything that would come close to the level of flaw for me and I am ridiculously critical of games combat systems. On the other hand with 3 fighting styles and various upgrades and paths it doesn't surprise me that there may be one in there somewhat. That coupled with the insane difficulty you can get too.. In fact that is what turned me around on the experience.
2 Full play throughs so far and I haven't found one but I am going to play it again soon.

If I could change one thing about Bound in Flame: I would have had them add animations for times when your stats resistance means that you or your enemy don't move when hit. I hate that kind of shit.
One thing I love about Bound in Flame: Difficulty + Proper Companion use.

Man I didn't see anything that would come close to the level of flaw for me and I am ridiculously critical of games combat systems. On the other hand with 3 fighting styles and various upgrades and paths it doesn't surprise me that there may be one in there somewhat. That coupled with the insane difficulty you can get too.. In fact that is what turned me around on the experience.
2 Full play throughs so far and I haven't found one but I am going to play it again soon.

If I could change one thing about Bound in Flame: I would have had them add animations for times when your stats resistance means that you or your enemy don't move when hit. I hate that kind of shit.
One thing I love about Bound in Flame: Difficulty + Proper Companion use.

I think the furstration in combat strictly comes from the fact that enemies can knock you down and then hit you while your down. Which is extremely cheap admitedly. I think people that are more willing to deal with that and not get rage quit induced rage like symptoms, will most like not have as much issues with the game as other when it comes to combat problems. I mean it annoys the hell out of me and it's a stupid design, but the way combat flows and works otherwise and the brutal challenge of having to block and parry. I really, really enjoy it. This is THE surprise hit for the year so far. Admintely I had really low expectations, but I was blown away in that regard.

Karak

I think the furstration in combat strictly comes from the fact that enemies can knock you down and then hit you while your down. Which is extremely cheap admitedly. I think people that are more willing to deal with that and not get rage quit induced rage like symptoms, will most like not have as much issues with the game as other when it comes to combat problems. I mean it annoys the hell out of me and it's a stupid design, but the way combat flows and works otherwise and the brutal challenge of having to block and parry. I really, really enjoy it. This is THE surprise hit for the year so far. Admintely I had really low expectations, but I was blown away in that regard.

Hmm. Ya I could see that. I mean.enemies can hit you when you are down and you can hit enemies when they are down in various games. So the actual ability for that to happen doesn't bother me so much if a game takes that into account.

I guess a fix for that would be a game that had you have the ability to defend yourself while on the ground like a sword raised above your head or something while getting up. Would be a cool mechanic.

I honestly barely got hit while on the ground or at least so little that I really didn't get angry about it. But defenseless situations suck regardless.

Zafir

Yeah I noticed that a few times, where you can get hit while down. I wouldn't say I got annoyed at being hit when knocked down though. Coming straight from Dark Souls 2, it bugged me more that I couldn't roll as soon as I saw the animation for the knock down since it's unblockable, like of course you can just move out of the way, but that's a bit slow.

Camp Lo

Banned
This game is horrible. I can see it tries, but it just comes off as annoying. The script is silly, some characters use King's English and the main character talks like he's straight out of Gears of War. I just can't get past a lot of the modern colloquialisms used in this game along side "arsehole" and "Godsdamn".

Combat is really generic and each weapon stance limits how you move so it amps up difficulty not because enemies are just that smart but because you find yourself in the wrong stance and get SMASHED on or you're waiting for your sword animation to finish.

I tried to follow the story but by the time
I freed the Witch Edwen
, I just didn't give a shit at that point. I'm debating on shelving this game right now.

Any scores over 6 are being much too kind.

Karak

Yeah I noticed that a few times, where you can get hit while down. I wouldn't say I got annoyed at being hit when knocked down though. Coming straight from Dark Souls 2, it bugged me more that I couldn't roll as soon as I saw the animation for the knock down since it's unblockable, like of course you can just move out of the way, but that's a bit slow.

Ya. Hoping more games start offering solutions for this. My own thought is if an enemy can hit you at some point you should be able to hit them at some point.

Tex117

Banned
for some reason I was getting this game confused with the excellent looking Lords Of The Fallen.

HOLY EFF! I honestly thought this was the same game. I'm relieved because Lords of the Fallen actually looked pretty good.

Crisis averted!

HOLY EFF! I honestly thought this was the same game. I'm relieved because Lords of the Fallen actually looked pretty good.

Crisis averted!

Well ya know it could always get reviewed low as well. No game is safe these days. Just play what you want and form your own opinion is what I always tell people.

Tex117

Banned
Well ya know it could always get reviewed low as well. No game is safe these days. Just play what you want and form your own opinion is what I always tell people.
You are right of course. But Im not going to shell out 50 bucks for a game that by most accounts seems pretty rough. Im not hung up on the scores, but the reviews themselves about the combat especially is concerning.

Vooduu

No, GAF Summary - various people have differing opinions and some like it whilst some don't. Fuckin shocker.

That's not what I'm getting from this thread. A bunch of people who are saying the game stinks and a bunch of people waiting to get their copies. Then there a few PC screenshots. Yippee...

Safe from reviews? You've got to make a colossal piece of shit to get a bad review nowadays.

Really? I think you have that backwards. The fact that a game like Deadly Premonition can get away with being a game with HUGE design and peformance issues, and still be critically acclaimed and then something like this getting harped on for similar issues. Just seems a bit silly.

The point is, games have varying review scores and if you haven't seen, some major outlets are giving this 7's and 8's. So yeah. It is what it is. Like most games, people will enjoy it or they won't! Elementary my dear Watson!

Evil Beaver

It's like playing a cheesy, entertaining B-movie. I'm enjoying the hell out of it. The only gripe I have so far is that I'm playing on Captain difficulty and I'm getting my ass kicked left and right.

Gotta learn to use the right stances at the right moment and
git gud

That's not what I'm getting from this thread. A bunch of people who are saying the game stinks and a bunch of people waiting to get their copies. Then there a few PC screenshots. Yippee...

I'm with you, posted my review recently. It has his fair share of issues but that is the kind of thing that drives me to play those kind of RPGs. I had a similar feeling with Gothic 4. Was it perfect? No, it has some big flaws, but still its enjoyable as hell and I would totally recommend it to someone that can look past those flaws.

You're definitely not the only one. It's funny; I totally agree with most of the criticisms I've read so far, yet this game has totally won me over regardless.

Thanks. No I really liked it. It is more than the sum of its parts and though I am fairly hard on games I can also see when a games gameplay trumps some of its issues. The dialogue was so bad it was B grade movie but the skills and the difficulty level were just my style. Well the difficulty at times was almost too hard for me which is a rarity.

The game is a mixed bag, isn't it, but after three hours of playing it on the PS4, I haven't come across anything that strikes me as being truly awful about it. Well, except for the badly-written dialogue maybe that makes me wince at times but I find the voice-acting mostly tolerable (the lousy lip-syncing not so much though!). Combat feels OK...don't like not having a shield though...the story has its moments but is mostly forgettable...I like the upgrade system and the interface is easy to use.

I'm enjoying it so far for the mix of RPG exploration, NPC conversations (there is a surprising amount of it, though as I mentioned, it is at the opposite end to Shakespeare!) and combat. It reminds me very much of Spiders' Of Orcs and Men really and I did like that. One thing I don't like though is the unlocked framerate. Sure, there's no tearing, thankfully, but the way the framerate swings from 30 to 60 FPS and back depending on how much is going on on-screen is distracting. I would much rather have a locked 30 FPS personally.

So what were you saying again?

The game is solid, not great and not shitty. It's a good time and something that I enjoy playing with an open mind, sure there's cheesy dialogue and technical issues, but it is enjoyable.

Camp Lo

Banned
More reviews

All About the Games – 4/5
SoftPedia – 8.5/10
Eurogamer.de – 5/10
IncGamers – 6/10
Trusted Reviews – 5/10
GotGame – 1.5/5
Gamesoul.it – 6,5/10
Everyeye.it – 5

SZips

More reviews

All About the Games – 4/5
SoftPedia – 8.5/10
Eurogamer.de – 5/10
IncGamers – 6/10
Trusted Reviews – 5/10
GotGame – 1.5/5
Gamesoul.it – 6,5/10
Everyeye.it – 5

In addition to the scores already in the OP, I honestly don't recall a time where scores for a game have been as scattered as this one. Again, we all knew it was going to be a very polarizing game but I'm still legitimately surprised.

pixlexic

Banned
In addition to the scores already in the OP, I honestly don't recall a time where scores for a game have been as scattered as this one. Again, we all knew it was going to be a very polarizing game but I'm still legitimately surprised.

That not scatter they average 5 easily. Only one is high.

The game is solid, not great and not shitty. It's a good time and something that I enjoy playing with an open mind, sure there's cheesy dialogue and technical issues, but it is enjoyable.

Well you see you fit into the bracket of people in which others can't seem to fathom how someone would "enjoy" a game of this nature. I feel ya, but if anything proved to me just how off peoples views are versus mine. Was in a thread I created asking people to post their worst of worst games, games that were abysmal, and people suggest, Last of Us, LA Noir, etc. Yeah.... I rest my case.

RedAssedApe

Banned

hmm...i actually got opposite impression of the thread. decent number of gaffers posting that they are enjoying it. the negative stuff mostly seems to be comments based on seeing/reading the non-gaf review scores being posted.

seems like its an acquired taste though. i suggest that you just watch a stream and decide yourself.

Hawk SE

I can't and won't force my opinion on anyone. I will just tell you my experiences, frustrations, and overall problems I had with the game. If that's something you can ignore or otherwise work past, then yeah, go for the game.

I do feel that overall it's worth waiting for a sale, not something you necessarily need now.

Nordicus

Beyond: Two Souls scores were quite all over the place when the reviews came

Pretty much. Like I said previously, any numeric review over 6 is being far too kind.

So there's a set number this game should have? Can you show me the bar for that? Last I heard, those numbers and reviews were merely opinion, so it was okay for them to rate it whatever they wanted.

But I guess I missed the memo on subjectivity.

SZips

That not scatter they average 5 easily. Only one is high.

There's more than one "high" one.

SoftPedia is 8.5/10
All About the Games is 8/10
Game Informer is 8/10

And then there are others that are on the rather low end of the spectrum here.
Polygon, GameSpot, VideoGamer, Saving Content, GotGame are all equal to or less than a 4/10.

It seems like quite the scatter to me, especially when compared to most other games that tend to have scores clumped a lot closer together.

Beyond: Two Souls scores were quite all over the place when the reviews came

Ah yeah. Good catch on that one. I had completely forgotten about how that game fared with most reviewers and players.

Molotov Cupcake

Neo Member
I wrote the Destructoid review and scored it a 7. Based it on my fun factor, which was unusually high for what to me felt like a somewhat broken game.

SZips

I wrote the Destructoid review and scored it a 7. Based it on my fun factor, which was unusually high for what to me felt like a somewhat broken game.

Yeah, the fun I ended up having certainly factored in to my review as well. I think I also started to enjoy it more when I sometimes imagined my character as Master Miller just losing his shit in another life.

Unity2012

Polarizing game, definitely a purchase then

So I just finished the first I guess, 'boss battle' of the game, in the tutorial section on the hardest difficulty.

So far, not terribly difficult, only encounter I had to redo a couple times was the 'boss'. But the main thing is to not get hit it seems, dodge/block everything, watch attack patterns, learn when to strike and when not to. (Specializing as the Ranger class)
Game looks good on PC, nothing special, but texture resolution is above average. Runs fine maxed out on a 670.

Similar to War Logs though, you can instantly tell it's a budget title. Animations are janky, voice acting is inconsistent, dialogue writing is inconsistent... but so far, not terrible, not fantastic. I have some other games to finish up first, but I didn't have any qualms with the game to the point where I want to stop playing it, so it's definitely something I'll be playing later on.

It's a much more polished Mars: War Logs, aside from the setting of course.

Oh, another good thing so far is the soundtrack, but that's to be expected from Olivier Derivière, his scores to Remember Me and Alone in the Dark were absolutely sublime.

I think if the game appeals to you or even slightly interests you, pick it up. Do not listen to 'professional' reviews in my opinion, go with your gut, you may end up really enjoying it.

The game is a mixed bag, isn't it, but after three hours of playing it on the PS4, I haven't come across anything that strikes me as being truly awful about it. Well, except for the badly-written dialogue maybe that makes me wince at times but I find the voice-acting mostly tolerable (the lousy lip-syncing not so much though!). Combat feels OK...don't like not having a shield though...the story has its moments but is mostly forgettable...I like the upgrade system and the interface is easy to use.

I'm enjoying it so far for the mix of RPG exploration, NPC conversations (there is a surprising amount of it, though as I mentioned, it is at the opposite end to Shakespeare!) and combat. It reminds me very much of Spiders' Of Orcs and Men really and I did like that. One thing I don't like though is the unlocked framerate. Sure, there's no tearing, thankfully, but the way the framerate swings from 30 to 60 FPS and back depending on how much is going on on-screen is distracting. I would much rather have a locked 30 FPS personally.

Review for ACG Games (Recommendation Buy) Link

The game has its issues but the gameplay trumps that and the B movie dialogue is hilarious in its own way, while the skills and fighting styles and overall difficulty kept me coming back for more.

You're definitely not the only one. It's funny; I totally agree with most of the criticisms I've read so far, yet this game has totally won me over regardless.

I'm really enjoying the game so far (3 hours in) playing on highest difficulty really makes the combat much more enjoyable.

My exact feelings. After a few hours I am really enjoying it. I am actually surprise at how challenging combat can be at times. I dont enjoy xtra difficult gameplay like Dark Souls; I can appreciate it but don't enjoy it playing it myself, and this one is keeping me interested.

I hope more people give it a chance, if only to support the efforts of the developers. I know this is not a big budget game and yet, what it does well is pretty enjoyable.

My exact feelings. After a few hours I am really enjoying it. I am actually surprise at how challenging combat can be at times. I dont enjoy xtra difficult gameplay like Dark Souls; I can appreciate it but don't enjoy it playing it myself, and this one is keeping me interested.

I hope more people give it a chance, if only to support the efforts of the developers. I know this is not a big budget game and yet, what it does well is pretty enjoyable.

I got the PC and the PS4 promo review copy. I still bought a retail Ps4 version. Def wanted to give these guys the support!

Well you see you fit into the bracket of people in which others can't seem to fathom how someone would "enjoy" a game of this nature. I feel ya, but if anything proved to me just how off peoples views are versus mine. Was in a thread I created asking people to post their worst of worst games, games that were abysmal, and people suggest, Last of Us, LA Noir, etc. Yeah.... I rest my case.

I used to care about reviews way too much when I was younger, nowadays I just buy what I think I will enjoy, sure I have been burned a few times, but I would have missed out on some gems if I just listened to reviews and that's not worth it to me.

Top Bottom