• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bound by Flame |OT| Free the fire

KORNdoggy

N
I disagree it's very bad. It's not just going from 30 - 45. It's all over the place and with horrible stuttering.

Now I will admit to just coming off of dark souls 2 on PC with nonfaultering 60fps.so it may not be as bad for console only player who have been playing games like thief and Spider-Man .
I'm really not seeing this horrible performance on PS4. I'm not particularly sensitive to stuttering, but I would notice if it was as bad as you say. It's definitely not 60 most of the time, but it's plays pretty smooth to me; I guess I just can't see it.

SZips

its been explained to me several times but i still don't think i understand what people are able to eyeball when they say stuff like this lol

Well, it's easy to tell that it's not cel-shaded since the rest of the game under other circumstances doesn't always look like that. There are particular situations (based on lighting situations and camera angles) where the rather bad AO implementation shows up. Another quick example from a screen I took:

itqxHoSMDK09P.jpg

Note the "outlines" around the bottles on the shelves and even the darker lines around the right arm and leg for the character on the right, and a bit on the left side of the main character's left leg.

There was another big instance of this when talking to the drunk guard leader in the first town but I did not get a screenshot of that particular case.

Edit:
I'm really not seeing this horrible performance on PS4. I'm not particularly sensitive to stuttering, but I would notice if it was as bad as you say. It's definitely not 60 most of the time, but it's plays pretty smooth to me; I guess I just can't see it.

I've most certainly noticed some questionable performance issues on the PS4 version. It may not dip below 30 but the framerate drops are very noticeable here, which is unfortunate. I will say that I never noticed framerate issues in Infamous: Second Son, which also has an unlocked framerate, but I can notice it here. I'm not sure why.

SZips

^ What were they thinking?

Honestly, it's not always as apparent as it is in that shot or the other instance. Though when it's apparent, it's very apparent. For what it is (a semi-budget action-RPG) it still looks mostly good. It's not at Infamous levels of visual fidelity for console users, but then again, what is?

Corpekata

Banned
Getting a strange technical issue. At Fullscreen, I get these odd sort of micro stutters. The frame rate holds, but it's like the camera is hiccuping and resetting behind the character almost. In Windowed it doesn't happen.

ViviOggi

Honestly, it's not always as apparent as it is in that shot or the other instance. Though when it's apparent, it's very apparent. For what it is (a semi-budget action-RPG) it still looks mostly good. It's not at Infamous levels of visual fidelity for console users, but then again, what is?

Sure, but Mars: War Logs didn't have this ridiculously out of place AO despite running in the same engine and using very similar lighting. Has to have been a concious decision.

-PXG-

Watching a session of this game on Dan's Gaming stream.

The dialogue is awful but hilarious. Holy shit. Priceless

-PXG-

saw a scene where the main character calls someone a dickhead. really out of place for the setting lol

I just saw it. Another dude called an elf an ass wipe.

I tuned in when the player was thrusting a firey sword into what looked like a giant, Woolly Mammoth's gaping vagina. I don't know what's going on.

Drewfonse

I'm enjoying the game so far on PS4 but i can see it getting a lot of bad reviews for not being polish enough. Even with tecnical problems gameplay is fun ang game is a lot challenging on captain difficulty.

If they want something more Polish, they'll just have to wait for The Witcher 3. :)

RedAssedApe

Banned
also npc party members seem really dumb.

was watching realitypales stream yesterday and his npc party member (the mage chick) seemed to be acting like a tank and kept dying within like a minute of an encounter with multiple enemies lol.

also npc party members seem really dumb.

was watching realitypales stream yesterday and his npc party member (the mage chick) seemed to be acting like a tank and kept dying within like a minute of an encounter with multiple enemies lol.

You can assign your AI to do differnt things. I reccomend setting them to defend mostly unless otherwise needed. That gives you time to get behind enemies and they live a little longer in my experience.

RedAssedApe

Banned
You can assign your AI to do differnt things. I reccomend setting them to defend mostly unless otherwise needed. That gives you time to get behind enemies and they live a little longer in my experience.

ah...i was asking in the stream if you could set NPC behavior. he didn't respond so it sounds like he wasn't aware or had it in some attack mode.

Zafir

Yeah, I've been playing the PC version. While I'm enjoying it, I did come across a few oddities, and the NPC mage really does blow. She just stands there and tanks the mobs, she pretty much died 80% of battles, and I'm not even exaggerating that percentage. The only time she survives is if the mobs go for me.

One oddity I got on camera was this.

Went up to a NPC to talk to her, and she randomly jumped up into the air and started levitating, lol.

Edit: You can change party members actions. In the tactics menu (LB on the controller) you can click the trigger and do it. Alternatively you can talk to them to change it. Didn't seem to do much for me. I set her to healing, but she doesn't seem to heal herself, only me.

Corpekata

Banned
Getting a strange technical issue. At Fullscreen, I get these odd sort of micro stutters. The frame rate holds, but it's like the camera is hiccuping and resetting behind the character almost. In Windowed it doesn't happen.

Fixed. If anyone has a similar issue you'll need to disable Vsync in the game's config file, as it isn't an ingame setting. Should be under My Documents/Bound by Flame. Turning it off stopped the stutter. I haven't tried forcing it via control panel yet since I didn't have any screen tearing so not sure if it's just the game's vsync or all vsync.

JambiBum

I just saw it. Another dude called an elf an ass wipe.

I tuned in when the player was thrusting a firey sword into what looked like a giant, Woolly Mammoth's gaping vagina. I don't know what's going on.

You should play this game. I'm a few hours into it now and while it isn't some crazy AAA RPG it's still pretty fun. Plus the dialog is great. I just called this character a cry baby multiple times because she was upset about a plot event. It's got some jank to it but honestly it isn't anything close to making me not want to play more.

JPS Kai

I'm interested in this game but not sure that I will bite on it at $50 dollars (I want this on PS4).

Have I got a deal for you!

Best Buy has it for $50(If you are part of Gamers Club Unlocked, their paid membership) you save 20%. They are also giving away a $10 gift card with purchase. It was unadvertised and the game wasn't even on the shelf yet but I was able to get on this deal tonight.

It plays more like these 2 games that couldn't possibly play more differently then each other.

Wut.

Ok then let me clarify for you. Its combat plays like Witcher. With combat stances and changing those up. Yet it feels like Dragons Age sometimes with your companions and the choices you can make, plus some of the creature designs give me that vibe. I'm sure some others might be reminded of other games but it's not hard to see the comparisons in general. Just lower budget mind you.

Ricker

saw a scene where the main character calls someone a dickhead. really out of place for the setting lol

Mars was the same way,some of the replies and the main characters attitude where all over the place,it was funny...also that last screenshot reminds me of Mars a lot,almost all browns but I saw some streams(that I didnt watch too long because I want to go fresh tomorrow)that had more colors then just the browns...

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Man this game does not fuck around with the combat. I'm playing on Buffalo difficulty and it's kicking my ass! I love how considered it is, no mashing. One slip and you're fucked. Certainly enjoying it so far but yeah, as I thought, very euro RPG :p

LiK

looks like this is shit. love that it went on sale a day earlier than the embargo they gave to sites

bobot

Neo Member
So basically it's a semi linear, timing based hack and slash with some lol worthy dialogue and a rudimentary crafting and upgrade system.

I expected very little and came away quite surprised. It has a charm to it

I just wish they'd implemented and infamous or black flag style remote play button map.

Yep everyone is breaking embargo. Even though I asked about it the other day and they were pushing for Friday. This really screws with sites and their traffic, etc. This whole thing has been a mess.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Spiders' RPGs always look cool in their promotional screenshots. They are always really mediocre, though.

Despite the bad reviews this game will probably get I'm going to go against my normal ways of following reviews and pick it up. From most of the people who posted impressions in this thread the game is still fun. So fuck it, I'm in.

SZips

Yep everyone is breaking embargo. Even though I asked about it the other day and they were pushing for Friday. This really screws with sites and their traffic, etc. This whole thing has been a mess.

Sites like GameSpot and Polygon don't give a damn since they know they won't be blacklisted by breaking an embargo like this. They're too big to fall, so to speak.

Sites like GameSpot and Polygon don't give a damn since they know they won't be blacklisted by breaking an embargo like this. They're too big to fall, so to speak.

Well I'm told now, it's in the wild, can't really keep folks from reviewing it. So release the hounds I say!

I figured it would get panned, but it is still a fun little RPG for what it is.

Yep def. A great appetizer to Dragons Age and Witcher 3 for me.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
I never pay attention to Gamespot's reviews, except when Kevin Van Ord reviews an RPG. Kinda worried by that 4 but I guess I'll force myself to play it just to rack up the Playfire rewards

did google search for bound by flame review. choice box quotes ;)

still interested though

Not going to lie, the majority of folks I have on twitter that I know playing it are enjoying it. The reviews are not as cut and dry as you would think. I can see their reasons for the lower scores but I'd say others will easily rate this in the 7 category.

Quantum

I've played 2 hours, gotten through two sections of the game.

I'm really liking it.

Its not polished, and the combat is clunky - although upgrading parry seemed to do wonders with my controller based PC play - I'm hooked on the progression of the skills as the first six or so have changed my character dramatically.

The music is fantastic so far - I don't know if it becomes repetitive and I would never compare it to neir's score, but it is reminiscent to me.

the dialog is funny as hell - it borders on cringe worthy but it feels like its written that way - not too fantasy babble and not too overly emphatic. Its just working for me as I don't think I could take another bouquet of hours of self righteous serious skyrim chatter.

The graphics are good - although I think I'm playing with fire in the sense that I'm running at 2560x1600 with a 2Gb 7850 - It might just be my systems limitations but it runs very well if I flip down to 1080p (although I refuse)

at full price I donno but I picked it up for a steal at gmg.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Not going to lie, the majority of folks I have on twitter that I know playing it are enjoying it. The reviews are not as cut and dry as you would think. I can see their reasons for the lower scores but I'd say others will easily rate this in the 7 category.

i rarely go off reviews from more mainstream sites. just got a laugh out of their attempts to come up with "clever" headlines :)

Top Bottom