• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Discussion

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
WOW Cotto could not hurt Margarito and he was TAGGING Him... but Margarito just kept coming, kept landing shots, even if they werent' as clean the pressure... just too much.... god Margarito has GOT to fight Paul Williams again.

Quazar

WAHAHAHAHAHAH I fucking tried to tell people don't count Marg out. But I had Cotto winning by one point before the ya know what. I'm trashed, best PPV this year.

Quazar

Bauer Action Hour said:
The story of the fight for me is Cotto doing no body work. Hitting Margo in the face was pointless and the pressure eventually wore Cotto out. Fantastic fight, even though as Cotto fan I'm disappointed.

EXACTLY. THANK YOU.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
christ, what a fight. cotto landed big shots but margarito kept coming and coming, eventually cotto got tired from the relentless pressure and that was it.

I'm a cotto fan, but props to margarito the guy just doesn't know what giving up means. no wonder almost no one wanted to fight margarito. now I wonder where cotto goes from here... maybe a rematch? or to face the winner between clottey and judah?

puebla

dope fight, i thought Cotto would outclass Margarito through out the whole fight but Marg is like a bull with constant pressure.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
Fight of the year by far!!!

I was rooting for Margo and I never actually stopped believing in him. Oh wait, I actually did. I thought Cotto would UD him but no. He got wasted!

THE TIJUANA TORNADO!

Oh wow. I want Marg to fight Paul Williams again. But for now, I want a rematch between these two. What a WAR!

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Ninja Scooter said:
Damn, PBF staying retired CONFIRMED.

Yup Pretty much. My wife and I wanted Margarito to win this fight, but we expected Cotto to win. Technically he's so superior to Margarito and it showed early in the fight... but as the fight wore on the combo's came less and less, the running came more and more, and most dangerously the hanging on the ropes came more and more.

TheCardPlayer

Oh my. All the people at Boxingscene who thought Cotto would murder Margarito! The Tijuana Raindrop! :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

I am hammered and I have never been happier. Margo Margo Margo!!!

Honestly, Cotto fought a great fight but I knew that if he ran, he would get slaughtered. He should have used his hook to the body to wear Tony down. But he didn't!

WAR MARGARITO!

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
Wow what a fight. Damn I had wanted to start an official thread for this fight but went out of town and returned just in time for the fight. Anyways the pressure got to Cotto and the shots just kept on coming. Even though Cotto looked good early on it was a total beatdown. Like someone mentioned Cotto forgot about Margarito's body.

smurfx

get some go again
man it was an awesome fight. margarito had me worried at the end of the 6th. i thought that cotto would just cruise into an easy decision. i was hoping all those body shots margarito was landing would come into play at some point and sure enough everything started going downhill for cotto at the end of the 7th. man i was happy when cotto went down the first time in the 11th since i thought cotto would clearly take the decision now and when cotto went down the 2nd time i was jumping and cheering because i knew margarito would win by ko. i want to see margarito fight de la hoya next and beat de la hoya down and send him into retirement.

puebla

so awesome

29639776a79b35edd1249fcd499bcdd1-getty-81085414em010_miguel_cotto_.jpg

Wow!

Just watching a delayed transmission of Cotto v Margarito!

Round 4 and great stuff so far! Cotto has hit Margarito with some crackers and he just brushed them off - Margarito is a beast!

End of the 6th

Cotto showing better ring smarts and outboxing Margarito, landing the better shots, but Margarito stalking and showing no signs of being hurt at all.

Great fight.

Lookin forward to see how Margarito turns it around!

Holy shit!

That was the turnaround right there in round 7!

Great round for Margarito - 3 quality uppercuts, but Cotto showing some heart and countering with a great left!

cthoaa

Hatton & trainer Graham to split

Ricky Hatton will head into his world title clash against Paulie Malignaggi without his long-time trainer Billy Graham, his father has confirmed.

Ray Hatton said Graham, who has trained Hatton for 11 years, will retire from the sport following Ojay Abrahams's fight in Watford on Friday.

He said: "Ricky and Billy had a meeting on Monday in which Billy admitted he was not going any further.

"It was quite emotional because they've been together so long. It's a sad day."

Hatton is now likely to be trained by Graham's assistant Lee Beard for his fight against Malignaggi and will sit down with his team to discuss a permanent replacement in due course.
Last week Mayweather Sr. was saying he might be training Hatton next.

cthoaa

28o944.jpg

The Ring updated their ratings for the week.

Antonio Margarito is rated the welterweight division's top fighter following his win over previous #1, Miguel Cotto. Cotto is rated third behind Paul Williams.

In the pound-for-pound chart, Margarito enters at #6. Cotto, who was #6, falls to #10, displacing Ivan Calderon.

Ring Magazine's Welterweight Ratings for period ending July 28

1. Antonio Margarito MEX 37-5 (27)
2. Paul Williams USA 34-1 (25)
3. Miguel Cotto PUR 32-1 (26)
4. Shane Mosley USA 44-5 (37)
5. Carlos Quintana PUR 25-2 (19)
6. Zab Judah USA 36-5 (25)
7. Joshua Clottey GHA 34-2 (20)
8. Luis Collazo USA 28-3 (13)
9. Jackson Bonsu BEL 28-1 (23)
10. Andre Berto USA 22-0 (19)

Ring Magazine's Pound for Pound Ratings for period ending July 28

1. Manny Pacquiao PHI, jr. lightweight
2. Joe Calzaghe GBR, super middle/lt. heavyweight
3. Juan Manuel Marquez MEX, jr. lightweight
4. Bernard Hopkins USA, lt. heavyweight
5. Israel Vazquez MEX, jr. featherweight
6. Antonio Margarito MEX, welterweight
7. Kelly Pavlik USA, middleweight
8. Cristian Mijares MEX, jr. bantamweight
9. Rafael Marquez MEX, jr. featherweight
10. Miguel Cotto PUR, welterweight

Though the win over Cotto makes Margarito the division's de facto number one, there is a small dispute as he has an unavenged loss to Paul Williams. A rematch between the two would settle things and also officially crown a new Ring champion, but that might not happen this year as Arum has stated intentions to match Margarito with either Zab Judah or Shane Mosley.

Tom_Cody

I agree with the sentiment that Margarito should not be number one unless he beats Williams.

I would love to see Margarito against the winner of Clottey-Judah. Margarito looked terrible against Clottey despite getting the W. As far as I'm concerned that's another rematch Margarito needs to fight in order to legitimize himself. The first fight was entertaining as well, so I would love to see it.

I would like to see the Mosley fight as well, but I would prefer it if Margarito would take a few fights in between to further legitimize himself. I really give Mosley all the credit in the world if he takes that fight. I scored him narrowly beating Cotto. Margarito-Mosley would be a great showdown.

Tom_Cody

Also, Margarito's additon to the P4P rankings is the most reactionary move since Tarver was added after his victory over Jones. Margarito put on a great performance this weekend, but let's not go crazy. He recently lost to Williams and looked terrible against Clottey. Time and a few fights will strike him from this list.

cthoaa

Definitely. BBC Sport already had a pretty wonky list with Margarito P4P #9 even prior to Saturday, citing his win over Cintron. Cotto was #4 before the fight, so it's possible Tony will be in their top five when they get around to updating.

All subjective, of course, but it's hard to justify.

Tom_Cody

Great boxing weekend coming up. Kirilov-Darchinyen, Jauregui-Peterson, and Clottey-Judah are all great fights. I'm also personally psyched for Wolak-Smith. I used to train at Gleason's at the same time of day as Wolak, so I saw him a few times a week for a few months. It should be interesting to see if he breaks through in the industry.

cthoaa

I don't remember seeing Kirilov, but I'm looking forward to seeing another Vic fight, my first since he lost to Donaire. I read that he was just working on things in his return fight in Australia and was robbed of a win vs. Z Gorres, settling for a draw in the Philippines.

The promo for Judah-Clottey made it out to be some kind of thug fight, but it's really closer to the "loser leaves town" wrestling stipulation. For all his faults, I can't help rooting for Zab here. He came in really light yesterday (143 at the weigh-in) which is hopefully part of the plan and not a result of overtraining.

cthoaa

Quazar said:
So I had the fight marked as:

R1
C T C C C T M M T T

98 to 96 Cotto
Incidentally, I must have been completely distracted when they announced the official scores at the time of stoppage. It's only after however many repeat viewings of this fight that I realized Lampley was saying Margarito was leading by majority. The judges went with either Margarito's aggression/workrate or damage inflicted/damage sustained because the cleaner work was Cotto's. I had the same score as you.

Quazar

cthoaa said:
Incidentally, I must have been completely distracted when they announced the official scores at the time of stoppage. It's only after however many repeat viewings of this fight that I realized Lampley was saying Margarito was leading by majority. The judges went with either Margarito's aggression/workrate or damage inflicted/damage sustained because the cleaner work was Cotto's. I had the same score as you.

I was shocked when I saw judges cards.

Anyways, Judah fight is on!

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Judah and Cottley... it was a good fight, but I knew Cottley was doing the real damage here. Judah tried hard, but damn, what a disappointing finale. It definitely was product of the uppercut, not a headbutt. Sorry Judah

Quazar

Relix said:
Judah and Cottley... it was a good fight, but I knew Cottley was doing the real damage here. Judah tried hard, but damn, what a disappointing finale. It definitely was product of the uppercut, not a headbutt. Sorry Judah

Pretty much. Was funny when Judah was doing the step by step talk on the replay. :lol

cthoaa

Ah, well. Zab tried real hard and took some rounds. There were spurts where he looked good and put out a lot, but he could never seriously move Clottey. (*Clottey shakes head.*) In the end, he showed a lot of negative body language to go with the superficial damage. It was only a matter of time, and Clottey really should have gotten the TKO. There was also quite the roller coaster of emotions with Zab at first losing by doctor stoppage, then having a chance on the judges' scorecards, and ultimately losing a technical decision.

So that's it then. Zab loses, is out of the big picture in the welterweight division, and no longer... wait. What's that?

Judah loses to Clottey but might win Margarito sweepstakes

With his gutsy performance against Clottey, Judah (36-6, 25 KOs) remains a credible threat in the welterweight division. And because Clottey sustained a pulled biceps in the fifth round of the fight, he might get leap-frogged by Judah in a possible match against Antonio Margarito on Nov. 1 if Clottey isn't healed well enough to take the date.
Amazing. More lives than a cat. Although I don't know that Judah's cut would heal in time either. And even then, a win over Judah wouldn't really do anything for Margarito.

cthoaa

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=3555960

Oscar De La Hoya, boxing's biggest star, will announce Thursday that he will meet pound-for-pound king Manny Pacquiao on Dec. 6, two sources close to the fight told ESPN.com.

Top Rank's Bob Arum, whose company promotes Pacquiao, would not confirm a deal was in place for what would be the year's biggest fight, but he did tell ESPN.com that De La Hoya would host a media teleconference at 2 p.m. ET on Thursday to announce his opponent.

SUPREME1

Banned
Heard about it earlier in the day.

For all the power Manny packs, he won't be able to overpower Oscar. A fighter with a strong jab and some brains can challenge Manny, see Morales/Manny 1 for proof.

However, Manny can prove to be just too fast, which has always bee nOscar's achille's heel.

Go Oscar.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
It's time for Oscar to forever fade in the darkness. His glory days are behind... KILL HIM MANNY!!!

TheCardPlayer

What a stupid fight. Manny is way too small to hurt Oscar. De La Hoya justs wants to retire after beating the number 1 fighter in the game. Manny is getting KOed brutally and it's a shame.

This is the equivalent of Vitali Klitshko taking on Ivan Calderon on his comeback. Okay, not that bad , but still!

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
Well I am really disappointed with DLH with his decision to fight Manny. This is a no win situation. If he beats him then he beat up on a smaller opponent and if he loses it would be a complete embarrassment for him. I would have preferred a fight with Margarito or heck even a rematch with Mayweather would be better than this crap.

cthoaa

Any interest in these fights these weekend? There's apparently not enough for either to get picked up stateside by HBO or Showtime for the weekend, but with titles on the line both offer at least some significance, if not intrigue.

nbc105.jpg

N.Valuev (48-1, 34 KOs) vs. J.Ruiz (43-7-1, 29 KOs), vacant WBA heavyweight title

The first fight was apparently really close as lots of people thought Ruiz should have won while Valuev benifited from kind judges. This second fight takes place because of a the Ruslan Chagaev ankle injury which forced him to pull out of his own rematch with Valuev and vacate his heavyweight title.

Valuev isn't great or anything, but he can show surprising technique and has way, way more stamina than a guy his size should. Ruiz is... Ruiz.

2gxjhv7.jpg

I.Calderón (c, 31-0, 6 KOs) vs. H.Cázares (26-4, 19 KOs), WBO light flyweight title, Ring Magazine jr. flyweight title

Calderon-Cazares I was an awesome fight--a great example of big man vs. little man. Iron Boy banked a lot of the early rounds with his speed and boxing ability before Cazares caught up with him, knocking him down somewhere in the middle rounds and dealing lots of punishment in between. In the end, two judges had Calderon ahead 115-112; the other judge had Cazares winning 116-111.

Cazares has Margarito in his corner; the fight again is in Calderon's Puerto Rico.

cthoaa

Mayweather Junior losing $7 million in jewelery: not really surprising. Between the eight episodes of 24/7, the piece on MTV cribs, and the "million dollar countoff" segment on WWE, he practically invited thieves over and gave them blueprints, detailing where everything is.

Mayweather Senior getting head training duties for Hatton: though the idea had been bandied about prior the fallout with Graham, still surprising. They don't seem like a match. There will also be tight scheduling as Hatton-Malignaggi is November 22 and Oscar's fight with Pacquiao is December 6.

cthoaa

13yqu09.jpg

A.Arthur (c, 26-1, 19 KOs) vs N.Cook (28-1, 16 KOs) - WBO super featherweight title

A.Khan (c, 18-0, 14 KOs) vs B.Prescott (19-0, 17 KOs) - WBO Intercontinental lightweight title

Co-featuring Khan's first fight under his new contract with Sky. I was surprised to found out that this was PPV. It's being reported that this show has to do ~250,000 buys to break even because of Khan's salary demands--a tough task when the draw has been matched with an opponent of no name value. (Hatton-Tszyu did 200K-300K on Sky PPV way back when.)

The headliner between Alex Arthur and Nicky Cook features two more known quantities.

2zzq0rq.jpg

J.Diaz (33-1, 17 KOs) vs M.Katsidis (23-1, 20 KOs) - vacant IBO lightweight title

R.Juarez (27-4, 19 KOs) vs J.Barrios (47-3-1, 34 KOs)

Has the makings of a classic BAD. Diaz and Katsidis are both coming off their first losses: failed championship defenses on WCB to Campbell and Casamayor, respectively. Winner takes home a fringe title, but more importantly get a crack at one of the victors from next week's two lightweight championship fights. (Casa-JMM, Campbell-Guzman.)

The undercard fight between Rocky Juarez and Jorge Barrios could match the fireworks of the main event depending on which version of Rocky shows up.

Tom_Cody

Relix said:
Diaz vs Katsidis will be very good

It's always interesting to see how a fighter reacts after a first loss, or any knockout loss. Diaz got beat down by Campbell and Katsidis was the victim of a knock out of the year candidate.

I will be curious to see what happens. Just because fight fans want to see them beat the hell out of each other doesn't mean it's going to happen. This represents a must win fight for both fighters. I think it may be a lot more tactical than a lot of people think.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Tom_Cody said:
It's always interesting to see how a fighter reacts after a first loss, or any knockout loss. Diaz got beat down by Campbell and Katsidis was the victim of a knock out of the year candidate.

I will be curious to see what happens. Just because fight fans want to see them beat the hell out of each other doesn't mean it's going to happen. This represents a must win fight for both fighters. I think it may be a lot more tactical than a lot of people think.

Sometimes tactical fights are better than just straight on brawls, but I still think, considering they both are aggressive, it will turn out to be a brawl at certain points. It's still gonna be entertaining!

JimiNutz

Banned
Damn didn't expect it to be so easy

Edit: Wow that was fast :lol

Amateur boxing
2003 – Won a gold medal at the AAU Junior Olympics.
2004 – Won a gold medal at the European Student Championships and the World Junior Championships.
2004 – Won the Strandja Cup to qualify for the Olympics in Athens
2004 – Won a silver medal at the Olympics, beating Marios Kaperonis, Dimitar Stilianov, Jong Sub Baik and Serik Yeleuov. He lost to Mario Kindelan in the final.
2005 – Beat Craig Watson on points in the ABA Championships.
2005 – Won the last match of his amateur career beating Mario Kindelan 19-13 at the Reebok Stadium.
Recently got knocked the fug out because he pussay like felix the cat

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amir_Khan_(boxer)

smurfx

get some go again
damn that khan guy got ktfo. he's lucky that second shot missed when he was going down or he might of been seriously hurt.

I bet Sky are regretting signing that multi-fight deal now. I think many saw a KO coming for Khan sometime soon, perhaps not THIS soon but it was always going to happen. He'll have still got a nice pay packet I suppose.

Top Bottom