• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elden Ring: Shadow of the Erdtree | Review Thread

What Scores do you think Shadow of the Erdtree will get?

• 0-65%

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • 66-69%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 70-74%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 75-79%

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • 80-84%

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • 85-89%

Votes: 25 15.2%
  • 90-94%

Votes: 94 57.0%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 39 23.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Antwix

Ok dumb question i know.....the new character weapons that are in the DLC, are they useable everywhere in the game, or are they only for the ErdTree map?

Edit- new weapons not classes, sorry.....
I was gonna say there's no new character classes in the dlc til I saw your edit lol. The weapons/ashes of war/armor and stuff can be used in the base map. The new scaling system they have only applies to the DLC map.

It has a lower score than the base game on both on OpenCritic and Metacritic, so, I'm assuming it's nothing ground-breaking. Eurogamer is one of the few non-biased, trusted media outlets, so them giving it a 3/5 is rather concerning.
giphy.gif

Beat Mohg on my second attempt using the purifying crystal tear which saves you from the blood curse. I'd recommend getting this over the shackle if you're rushing to get through this boss fight as I'm sure it's the more useful item and it doesn't require you to get to the Royal Capital.

Also used Mimic Tear because I wanted an easier time. Fun fight for sure and he gives 420,000 runes. Went from level 102 to 109. Sitting at 113 now ready for the DLC, roll on Friday!

manlisten

WOw at the reviews. I'm currently on a media blackout and want to know this thing:

-I'm now at NG++ at lvl 230. How will the scaling work? I beat Mohg and Radhan with ease on NG++ so I can start the DLC when it drops. I'm way overpowered currently and I love it.

The DLC will erase my OP'ness??
One reviewer said he entered the DLC at max level (713) and got two-shotted by the first enemy he encountered. Sounds like the new scaling system will essentially nullify your base game level.

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
I'm sure Miyazaki has been coy about Shadow's size because he wants to instill the same sense of wonder and awe that we got from ER. The map just kept expanding further and further while being presented in a way as to obfuscate it's true scale. Each time I'd literally say "wait, there's MORE!?", no other game has really given me that feeling before, I couldn't get enough!

My guess is the DLC will be massive in scope and full of surprises, can't wait

Like I said...

Just a little over 48 hours until we're live boys, Praise the (Shadow of the) Erdtree!

Fake

Gold Member
Ok dumb question i know.....the new character weapons that are in the DLC, are they useable everywhere in the game, or are they only for the ErdTree map?

Edit- new weapons not classes, sorry.....

I guess so. The only thing that will not work on the base game the new level up system inside the DLC don't work on the base game.

Pachi72

I wonder if the new weapons, items and ash of war will be just in the DLC or will it be scattered also in the vanilla game.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I wonder if I'm overpowered for the SOTE or not....

eewuJgh.jpeg

That's NG, I haven't even started NG+.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I wonder if I'm overpowered for the SOTE or not....

eewuJgh.jpeg

That's NG, I haven't even started NG+.
I think you spread out your point too widely, you are Jack of all trades but master of none.

In a game when you can put points towards individual states it’s always best to specialize.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I think you spread out your point too widely, you are Jack of all trades but master of none.

In a game when you can put points towards individual states it’s always best to specialize.
You're missing the point. I love to play From games as a mixed class which can wield magic, huge weapons, shields, med / heavy armor and also can use bows effectively with highest DMG as possible. Never have I played From games as a 100% tank, 100% rogue or god forbid 100% mage. I also don't care about PvP at all in From games and Co-op is more my thing. Plus, I had to put some points here and there to use weapons / spells I like effectively, cuz they have stat restrictions.

Last edited:

J3nga

One reviewer said he entered the DLC at max level (713) and got two-shotted by the first enemy he encountered. Sounds like the new scaling system will essentially nullify your base game level.
Then it's pretty weird there are pre-conditions to starting the DLC(beating mohg), it would make sense if that'd make you ready for it but it seems somewhat unnecessary.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Not that I care about modern day "games """"""journalists"""""" " opinions, but it gave me a laugh.

0E6kZYr.jpeg
From games (aside from Sekiro) are notoriously awful at storytelling and quests designs, but here comes a huge add-on (and the main game too) where they tried to fix that, put more focus on storytelling, made quests a bit better and... How in the fuckin' fuck a shift to more storytellling approach and fixing terrible quest design in a more traditional From game can be considered a negative?

Last edited:

T-0800

I wish they would just add an easy mode so I can finally try this damn game.

Or a demo at least! Don’t want to spend $70 and not be able to get past the first 5 min.
I finished the game by summoning other people to help (do all the work) on the majority of the bosses. Did the first few myself.

GHG

Eurogamer is not impressed:

This same reviewer gave goodbye volcano high a 5/5:

Normal people can safely disregard her opinions.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Already explained.

I'll do what I think is best for what I need :messenger_relieved:
Nobody said you need to be 100% tank or rouge, there are plenty of mixed builds, but what you are doing is wasting points as you put them in all attributes.
But whatever, you do you.

To answer your initial question: with that build you wont be overpowered. And for the DLC this wont matter anyway.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Eurogamer is not impressed:

The refusal of Japanese developers to engage with the political agendas of western gaming means that Japanese games are more and more going to be handicapped, when reviewed by games journalists who put political agendas ahead of everything in terms of importance.

winjer

Gold Member
The refusal of Japanese developers to engage with the political agendas of western gaming means that Japanese games are more and more going to be handicapped, when reviewed by games journalists who put political agendas ahead of everything in terms of importance.

But a lot of gamers have caught up to the lies of modern game journalists.
A lot are now siding with companies making good games. Not with journalists.

TrebleShot

If its the same as the base game its overhyped to the point of parody and will just be another souls like but this time in OPEN WORLD WOOOAAAW.

I will wait until you nerds find all the secrets and make an in depth guide that I can follow step by step without having to worry about missing the arbitury shite that youll die doing anyway.

May hack it for easy mode too, get to experience the lore and make the combat one or two tries.

I heard one reviewer say they did 42 attempts at one of the bosses. After 10 I move on to another game. Only children have time to play that kind of game.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Nobody said you need to be 100% tank or rouge, there are plenty of mixed builds, but what you are doing is wasting points as you put them in all attributes.
Again, it's not that I did that without purpose or meaning behind it. Maybe to you (or someone else as well) it doesn't make any sense cuz you like to play differently and focus on just a few stats, weapons, armor, spells etc. with different builds, but I do what is best for what I need, be it weapon or a spell I found but can't use cuz I don't have necessary stats, I want to wear heavy armor and not get penalized by weight and slow movement, I want to try and upgrade to the max some weapon I like and use on a boss which gives me trouble, you name it. I never started a new game in From games with a completely new character, cuz I can create one with different skills and stuff via NG+ for every situation, but it's much easier in Elden Ring than in any other Souls game cuz the game is huge and there's no need for NG+ (or even multiple ones) to make the build I need. So yeah, I play traditional From games differently than probably any of you here.

But whatever, you do you.
So as you, my dude :messenger_spock: :messenger_relieved:

To answer your initial question: with that build you wont be overpowered. And for the DLC this wont matter anyway.
Yeah, I figured based on the info above. I guess they had to do something to counter overpowered builds which can steamroll through DLC in just a few hours.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

If its the same as the base game its overhyped to the point of parody and will just be another souls like but this time in OPEN WORLD WOOOAAAW.

I will wait until you nerds find all the secrets and make an in depth guide that I can follow step by step without having to worry about missing the arbitury shite that youll die doing anyway.

May hack it for easy mode too, get to experience the lore and make the combat one or two tries.

I heard one reviewer say they did 42 attempts at one of the bosses. After 10 I move on to another game. Only children have time to play that kind of game.

edgelord middle finger GIF by AOK

Jesus. Haven't you some offs to go and fuck?

Caio

From games (aside from Sekiro) are notoriously awful at storytelling and quests designs, but here comes a huge add-on (and the main game too) where they tried to fix that, put more focus on storytelling, made quests a bit better and... How in the fuckin' fuck a shift to more storytellling approach and fixing terrible quest design in a more traditional From game can be considered a negative?
Not that much to say; I would simply ban reviewers who do not have the level to do their job. These people are a joke. EMBARASSING.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife

Ambitions status = put to rest

Kamina

Golden Boy
Again, it's not that I did that without purpose or meaning behind it. Maybe to you (or someone else as well) it doesn't make any sense cuz you like to play differently and focus on just a few stats, weapons, armor, spells etc. with different builds, but I do what is best for what I need, be it weapon or a spell I found but can't use cuz I don't have necessary stats, I want to wear heavy armor and not get penalized by weight and slow movement, I want to try and upgrade to the max some weapon I like and use on a boss which gives me trouble, you name it. I never started a new game in From games with a completely new character, cuz I can create one with different skills and stuff via NG+ for every situation, but it's much easier in Elden Ring that in any other Souls game cuz the game is huge and there's no need for NG+ (or even multiple ones) to make the build I need. So yeah, I play traditional From games differently than probably any of you here.

So as you, my dude :messenger_spock: :messenger_relieved:
I get what you mean, trying out things in From Games is fun, i do it too. It would just probably be more beneficial to you maxing weapons you like when you focused on fewer stats and instead re-speced once you want to try another build.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I get what you mean, trying out things in From Games is fun, i do it too. It would just probably be more beneficial to you maxing weapons you like when you focused on fewer stats and instead re-speced once you want to try another build.
See, it's not that kind of game where you can mess up your build (unless you're an average Joe, don't know what the hell you're doing and have never played From games before in your life) and just have to do it, you know? So I see no reason to.

Say, if Elden Ring had a similar class system Dragon's Dogma has, if summons were not 100% useless and just as amazing in combat as paws are and if you could freely switch maxed out and different builds / classes (each of which just as effective in combat, but in different ways) via some altar or a request from a boss.... Now that's the SHIT! But From will never do that even as an experiment.

Top Bottom