• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Discussion

DSWii60

Khan's defence is poor. He will never be a successful pro without really improving it. He has the talent, but needs to improve his defence. On the other hand Prescott looks very very good. He has a suprising amount of power, but of course I've only seen him box for 50 seconds so I'll stop short of calling him a future world champion.

cthoaa

Whoa. Just watched the fight on YouTube. (All 54 seconds of it.)

Prescott was outboxed for much of his last fight against a Richard Abril on FNF and was lucky to get the better end of a split decision. So this was pretty surprising.

It could have stopped after the first knockdown, too. Khan came down pretty hard the second time, it looked like.

Quazar

Did no one watch fight tonight? WOW at that split decision on Diaz. Max ripped that official apart. Was also sad how Katsidis corner treated Katsidis. Katsidis actually shed a tear at the end when Max questioned his corners attitude.

Houston's crowd was garbage as well.

Kingpen

Awesome fight. Diaz is right back where he should have been all along. Rematch Johnson to avenge his only loss please...

cthoaa

I tried to sneak in a nap before the show and wound up sleeping straight through it. Oh, well. Trying to get it now.

The Diaz-Katsidis result isn't surprising, but the scores were really so far off the mark? And I didn't think Rocky could stop a guy like Barrios who survived three KD's vs Freitas before failing to answer in the 12th, but the pics look so bad.

6gv8y9.jpg

"Why so serious?" (sorry.)
Hopefully Barrios put on a show and can still get good opponents because he puts on such entertaining fights. And congrats to Juarez. If someone had told me the fight was stopped due to a cut, I would have expected it to be Rocky on the receiving end with the luck he's had in his career.

219qph2.gif

A.Khan vs B.Prescott (YouTube)

-Part 1: fighter entrances & introductions, referee instructions
-Part 2: fight + post-fight

Tom_Cody

Holy shit at Khan.

Diaz-Katsidis was better than I was expecting. It looks like both of them are back.

Barrios-Juarez looked like an off TV undercard fight. Barrios was open to be countered all night but Juarez was unable to do anything to him until Barrios punched himself out. I think that was one of the worst (from a technical standpoint) fights I've ever seen on HBO.

fight should have been stopped after the first knockdown on Khan. Ref should be fired for letting him back in to take another hit when he didn't have his legs under him like that.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Ninja Scooter said:
fight should have been stopped after the first knockdown on Khan. Ref should be fired for letting him back in to take another hit when he didn't have his legs under him like that.

It was the first round. There have been countless fighters that have fallen like that and then keep fighting. Notable example is Vargas vs. Trinidad. Trinidad knocked him down twice in the first minute and the guy went on to give the best fight in Trinidad's career. He still got KOed at the 12 round, but I think its more irresponsible to stop a fight right away. Some boxers have the heart and guts to stand up, Khan proved he tried but his legs didn't help.

Relix said:
It was the first round. There have been countless fighters that have fallen like that and then keep fighting. Notable example is Vargas vs. Trinidad. Trinidad knocked him down twice in the first minute and the guy went on to give the best fight in Trinidad's career. He still got KOed at the 12 round, but I think its more irresponsible to stop a fight right away. Some boxers have the heart and guts to stand up, Khan proved he tried but his legs didn't help.

he was stumbling around glassy eyed AS the ref started the fight up again. that shit is dangerous.

Quazar

Not on youtube yet but Kirkland did indeed fight on Sept. 5th. and...

Junior Middleweight James Kirkland (23-0, 20 KO’s) stopped yet another mid-range caliber opponent in Ricardo Cortes (22-3-1, 15 KO’s) when ref Gregorio Alvarez called a halt to the bout at 1:59 of round 2 in a scheduled ten round bout in Austin, Texas. In what was an exciting fight for the time it lasted, Kirkland proved to just have too much pressure and incoming for Cortes to counter.

Exciting fighter.

cthoaa

5ov6up.jpg

Guzman fails to make weight!

Joan Guzman did not come back to the scale by the prescribed time, and therefore never made the 135-pound limit for Saturday night's lightweight title clash against IBF/WBA/WBO champion Nate Campbell. It appears at this time that the fight will go on but Campbell's titles, of course, would not be on the line.

Guzman didn't get to the scales until about 20 minutes after the weigh-in had already started. He stepped on the scales at 138.5 and never returned.
Dummy! And he was the one moving up from 130. Big Floyd, Guzman's trainer, blames the team's nutritionist/strength coach, David Buer.

The fight (as of typing) is still on, but the weight issue makes the result a little suspect even before it starts. Guzman not even trying to re-weigh makes it look like he just took off instead of working to make the lightweight limit. Hopefully, Campbell is a clear winner so as to remove any doubt.

There's some out-of-ring drama in Showtime's undercard bout, too, as the title fight between champion Tim Bradley and Edner Cherry might have six judges and potentially two different decisions: one set of Mississippi Athletic Commission judges to decide the official winner, and another set of WCB-appointed judges to decide their light-welterweight champion. An obvious winner inside the distance would be optimal, but the fallout from having two different winners would be fantastic.

No weight issues here, though.

35amxhl.jpg

cthoaa

xqkket.jpg

Joel Casamayor (c, 36-3-1, 22 KOs) vs Juan Manuel Marquez (48-4-1, 35 KOs) - Ring magazine lightweight title

Sergio Mora (c, 21-0-1, 5 KOs) vs Vernon Forrest (40-3, 29 KOs) - WBC super welterweight title

This weekend's other big lightweight contest, and third in two weeks. (Diaz-Katsidis.)

The names involved make this fight look nice on paper, but the style matchup makes it potentially horrible. I think the fighters' quality will come through and the fight will be okay, especially if JMM has a semblance of a lead down the stretch, forcing Casamayor to make things happen. (Still not worth the PPV price, though.)

Undercard also has Mora-Forrest II and a showcase fight for Golden Boy's light welterweight prospect, Victor Ortiz. (Still no.)

cthoaa

After watching it, I feel Casamayor-JMM was actually really good, but I'm probably just being forgiving as the ending is kinda surprising.

Very technical fight, as was expected. Casa threw everything (including headbutts, elbows, low blows) and held liberally, but wasn't completely criminal. Marquez took a while to get started but eventually got comfortable against Joel in a way no one ever had, landing right hand leads, hooks to the body, and many of the "extra" punches in his combinations. I suppose all the signs were there to be seen in the Sta. Cruz fight and even against Katsidis where he was getting dumped left and right, but I still didn't think Casamayor would ever lose within the distance, nor did I think JMM was the guy to do it.

JMM vs. Juan Diaz is already being talked about as Golden Boy Promotions seems content to keep the Ring belt within the family. Speaking of, the production by Golden Boy wasn't bad, but their announce crew is sorely lacking. And I'm sorry to see (hear) they will be using Ray Torres for translating.

One thing I noticed from the start was the clear size difference between a JMM moving up a division and a solid lightweight in Casamayor. DLH-Pacquiao is going to look ridiculous in three months.

Joan Guzman not making weight and being unable to fight Saturday is disastrous for his career. He'll likely receive a one-year suspension at the least, after which he'll be 33 and will have been out of the ring for almost two years. (Last fought November 2007.) He will incur heavy, heavy fines and his status as mandatory to the WBO lightweight champion is gone. In the future, he'll need to completely rebuild which will be difficult as Sycuan doesn't have a deep roster with which to match him, nor do they have the promotional pull to get him the fights he'll need. If he felt avoided previously, it's going to be much, much worse down the line because it's unlikely a champion or contender will ever risk a bout with him.

cthoaa

i5dt0j.jpg

The Ring updated their ratings for the week.

Juan Manuel Marquez is the new Ring Magazine lightweight champion after his kayo victory over Joel Casamayor. Casamayor is dropped to #4 in the division.

Marquez is removed from the junior lightweight chart, as is Joan Guzman.

In the pound-for-pound chart, Marquez moves up to #2 while Joe Calzaghe moves down to #3.

Ring Magazine's Lightweight Ratings for period ending Sept 15

C. Juan Manuel Marquez MEX 49-4-1 (36)
1. Nate Campbell USA 32-5-1 (25)
2. Manny Pacquiao PHI 47-3-2 (36)
3. Juan Diaz MEX 33-1 (17)
4. Joel Casamayor CUB 36-3-1 (22)
5. David Diaz USA 34-2-1 (17)
6. Jose Santa Cruz MEX 26-3 (15)
7. Julio Diaz USA 35-4 (26)
8. Michael Katsidis AUS 23-2 (20)
9. Ali Funeka RSA 30-1-2 (25)
10. Yuri Romanov BLR 21-2 (14)

Ring Magazine's Junior Lightweight Ratings for period ending Sept 15

1. Edwin Valero VEN 24-0 (24)
2. Humberto Soto MEX 44-7-2 (28)
3. Rocky Juarez USA 27-4 (19)
4. Yodsanan Nanthachai THA 56-3-1 (45)
5. Cassius Baloyi RSA 35-3-1 (18)
6. Mzonke Fana RSA 27-4 (10)
7. Nicky Cook GBR 29-1 (16)
8. Jorge Barrios ARG 47-3-1 (34)
9. Urbano Antillon MEX 24-0 (17)
10. Roman Martinez PUR 20-0-1 (12)

Ring Magazine's Pound for Pound Ratings for period ending Sept 15

1. Manny Pacquiao PHI, jr. lightweight
2. Juan Manuel Marquez MEX, lightweight
3. Joe Calzaghe GBR, super middle/lt. heavyweight
4. Bernard Hopkins USA, lt. heavyweight
5. Israel Vazquez MEX, jr. featherweight
6. Antonio Margarito MEX, welterweight
7. Kelly Pavlik USA, middleweight
8. Cristian Mijares MEX, jr. bantamweight
9. Rafael Marquez MEX, jr. featherweight
10. Miguel Cotto PUR, welterweight

cthoaa

2hojwur.jpg

F.Arslan (c, 29-3-1, 18 KOs) vs. G.Jones (35-3-2, 27 KOs) - WBA cruiserweight title
V.Virchis (24-1, 20 KOs) vs. J.C.Gomez (43-1, 35 KOs) - heavyweight eliminator
A.Alexeev (c, 15-0, 14 KOs) vs. R.Calloway (70-7-2, 56 KOs) - WBO intercontinental cruiserweight title
F.Zuniga (21-2-1, 18 KOs)vs. D.Inkin (33-0, 56 KOs) - vacant WBO super middleweight title

Higher weights on display in Germany.

With Calzaghe's WBO belt fully vacated, the title match between Fulgencio Zuniga and Denis Inkin is upgraded from interim status to WBO super middleweight champion proper. Inkin is the hometown favorite; Zuniga is the more battle-tested of the two. (Only losses are to D.Santos, Pavlik.)

nofzm1.jpg

S.Mosley (44-5, 37 KOs) vs. R.Mayorga (29-6-1, 23 KOs) - junior middleweight bout

A.Berto (c, 22-0, 19 KOs) vs. S.Forbes (33-6, 9 KOs) - WBC welterweight title

Calling them the "welterweight elite" doesn't mean much when one of the featured fights is @ 154. Mayorga's been relatively quiet this week; his style of promotion doesn't work so well opposite Mosley's good-natureness.

Forbes belongs at 140, but he can still do this. This type of fight should have happened before Berto got his hands on a belt, but okay.

Luis Collazo and SMW prospect Danny Jacobs fight in matches off HBO television.

Kingpen

That shit made me WOO like Ric Flair out of my seat. Most deserving knockout I have seen in a long time. He just killed Mayorga with that left hook at the end.

cthoaa

263u1vs.gif

I watched a stream of the UK broadcast, and I guess their commentary really colored the fight differently because I had Mayorga up going into the last round, as did Sky Sports' unofficial scorer and just one of the judges.

Awesome finish for Mosley and great that he got it in front of the home crowd, but he looked really gassed in the second half of the fight. Hopefully that was a result of ring rust or wrestling a 170-pound Mayorga because otherwise he'll really be in for it against the big welterweights. It was a little disappointing hearing him back off of his challenge to Margarito but totally understandable given the way the fight went.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
cthoaa said:
263u1vs.gif

I watched a stream of the UK broadcast, and I guess their commentary really colored the fight differently because I had Mayorga up going into the last round, as did Sky Sports' unofficial scorer and just one of the judges.

Awesome finish for Mosley and great that he got it in front of the home crowd, but he looked really gassed in the second half of the fight. Hopefully that was a result of ring rust or wrestling a 170-pound Mayorga because otherwise he'll really be in for it against the big welterweights. It was a little disappointing hearing him back off of his challenge to Margarito but totally understandable given the way the fight went.

I had Mosley up but I thought it was close fight. I'm glad to see that Mosley closed it with a decisive win rather than going to the scorecards... that short left was just beautiful.

Berto looked good. I was conerned because as has been mentioned Forbe's has never been dropped ever, let alone been stopped.... I thought Berto was surprised in the first few rounds at how quick Forbes was but then I though he took control early in ... say about 3rd 4th round and besides trading some shots never looked bad.

He needs to work on his infighting, the right to the head followed by a right uppercut is a nice combo but he needs to develop more infighting skills.

Forbes in the 2nd half just seemed content to go the distance. Definitely a good learning bout for Berto, and I agree with the commentators, he's not ready for Margarito or Williams.... I didn't realize til the Berto fight that Margarito/Cotto II is coming.... now that Cotto knows he can't wear down Margarito will he be content to just outpoint him? (Which I think he might be able to do).

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Cotto vs Margo.... Cotto wins the second one. Third one arrives. Cotto will win. I doubt Cotto will lose against Margarito, if he does... heh... Margo is just a machine then.

Quazar

Mosley fight was pretty good. Was great when it happened.

Anyone else bother to watch Boxing last night? Fuck that Kimbo shit, Angulo slaughtered his opponent. Gamboa continues to not bother defending himself, but still looked as explosive as he always has. He sure did take a nice elbow in that knockout. Sergio Martinez looked great.

Should be interesting seeing who Sergio and Angulo fight next. I guess Gamboa as well. Great night in Boxing and LOL @ Kimbo shit.

smurfx

get some go again
Relix said:
Cotto vs Margo.... Cotto wins the second one. Third one arrives. Cotto will win. I doubt Cotto will lose against Margarito, if he does... heh... Margo is just a machine then.
margarito knows cotto will just try to out point him so expect him to go in and go crazy from the beginning. i predict an early knockout by margarito similar to the way he knocked out cintron in the rematch. cotto ain't gonna be the same after the beating margarito gave him.

cthoaa

On hearing the results, I wasn't too eager to catch up with Saturday's fights on HBO. After watching, they weren't particularly competitive and the fighters of the first two bouts put in more rounds than they should have, but some of the out-of-ring and between rounds goings-on added lots of entertainment, I thought.

-Bunema was a 4-1 underdog, but with a win against Karmazin, I thought those odds were longer than they should have been. Clearly not.

-Martinez was fantastic and put on quite a show, shimmying and shoulder shaking, strutting around the ring, and fixing his trunks. You could see people smiling and hear all the Ric Flair "woos" as the crowd was eating it up. I also appreciated getting to hear the story of his late start in the sport. I agree with the announcers who feel that Forrest won't be taking this fight, especially if something wtih Mosley comes up.

-Bunema's cornerman had great communication with him. Stuff like "I don't need to see how to tough you are", "He's tired, too, but I need to know you're okay to go", and "There are more important things than this" were not only compelling from a dramatic standpoint, but necessary to assess Bunema's desire to continue.

-There was a noticeable rustling in the front row around Gary Shaw when the Kimbo Slice fight was over. Nobody told him so he was sitting with arms crossed as always, but even Ahmet Oner next to him seemed eager to talk with someone who was on a phone.

-One of my favorite exchanges in the commentary:

Lampley: (The ringside physician) has a history with Ukranian fighters. He's the guy who had to stop Lennox Lewis vs. Vitali Klitschko in Los Angeles five years ago."

Lewis: "And let me tell you: that was a great stoppage."

Then later, when talking about fighters who felt they could finish fights in spite of damage:

Lampley: "Vitali Klitchko desperately wanted to keep going against you. It would have been the wrong thing to do."

Lewis (softly): "I totally agree on that..."

-The fighters in Angulo-Tsurkan were doing their job, but the corner, doctor, and referee failed them by not stopping the fight earlier. The ref catching the final punch on the chin was like instant karma.

EDIT:

2aj8f35.gif

Jim Lampley wants Angulo vs Tsurkan to be stopped - 10th rd (YouTube)

-Angulo's punch output was sky high: 1211 punches over 10 rounds. He's like a mix of Margarito's workrate and moderate speed with Cotto's body attack, switch-hitting ability, and amateur discipline.

-Gamboa showed off improved defense at the start, but once he got floored again (admittedly from an elbow), his hands dropped. In the final moments, he got wobbled by a stray punch. The comparrisons to Hamed are apt, but the problem is that most see the similarities in their flaws.

-The quick count on Ramirez after the second knockdown was cheap. "7... 8... 9,10." It's not too bad though: referee's discretion, as Gamboa's class was starting to show and he likely would have stopped it in the remaining 90 or so seconds.

cthoaa

There were also two scheduled PPV's this past weekend. The Abraham-Marquez PPV, which was to be distributed here by Integrated Sports (*shrug*), was cancelled when Abraham pulled out "due to flu-like symptoms". It's being tentatively rescheduled for November 8, same day as Calzaghe-RJJ.

Top Rank also had one of their "Latin Fury" PPVs, this one headlined by Juanma Lopez. YouTube link below, but the gif is pretty much everything. (Fight was only 47 seconds long.)

2iad3za.gif

Juanma Lopez vs Cesar Figueroa, 2008-10-04 - WBO super bantamweight title

Quazar

So what's your current thoughts on Pavlik-Hopkins cthoaa? You think it will be a little on the stale size? As in a slow moving fight?

cthoaa

I think it will be lots similar to Hopkins-Calzaghe, so if that was hard to stomach for free, this will be torture for $50. (I actually really enjoyed it.)

Hopkins will be circling and dancing, per always, and it could get really tedious if Pavlik fails to cut off the ring since so much of his stuff is straight-ahead. I think it will also be frustrating on the inside for Pavlik because while he's been used to having his hands free and exchanging from short range, here he's going to be held, headbutted, hit on the referee's blind side... just everything other than able to get off.

Hopkins should be able to take away Pavlik's jab and for the most part avoid the right hand while landing counters of his own, but would it really be enough the win the judges over? When he gets inevitably gets tired in the later rounds, Pavlik is going to do his best work and will likely take the majority of the final rounds while Hopkins sits on what he feels is an early lead.

Pavlik will probably carry the decision on workrate alone, but I think Bernard will make him look bad and again he'll be able to say that he wasn't really beaten. I can't really see Hopkins getting stopped since his defense doesn't ever completely falter even when his legs aren't there. Of course, I thought the same of Casamayor so maybe I'm in for another surprise in less than two weeks.

cthoaa

28mn5tw.jpg
2n16h5h.jpg

Vitali Klitschko And Samuel Peter Weigh In (ESPN)

Final weights for today's heavyweight title fight in Germany: Klitschko 246, Peter 253. You can't speak of his in-ring shape just yet, but it is impressive that Vitali made that weight seeing as how he was 250 for his last fight four years ago.

Peter is coming off what was a world heavyweight title victory in March, but he's been kicked down to interim status again after Vitali exercised his rights as "champion emeritus".

Klitschko-Peter will be shown tape-delayed before the start of tonight's main event on Showtime, Antonio Tarver vs. Chad Dawson. Dawson had to vacate his WBC title to make this fight, so it's not a unification bout; he's challenger to Tarver's IBF and IBO light heavyweight titles.

149plw5.jpg
6z2bkg.jpg

Antonio Tarver And Chad Dawson Ready To Fight (ESPN)

kojacker

I've just sat down and noticed this fight is on tonight, but I dont know much about Samuel Peter. What do yous think? Will it be a good fight and worth watching?

He's clearly a strong dude in shape, and it might be just the pic, but it reminds me a bit of an extended HGH belly on Samuel Peter on that pic above

Edit: I've just switched it on and am now being 'treated' to a group of singers i think called the Pussycat Dolls dancing around in the ring pre-fight - it's worth a watching even if the fight isn't :)

Edit: Jebus, Peter looks so short in there, and he's nearly as wide as he is tall. He's having to lunge, swing and miss wildly in an attempt to land. That's as comfortable a 1st round for Vitali as you can imagine. Vitali is in absolute charge of this fight, I'd like to see Peter land with something and make more of a fight of this.

Edit: the score carda are in, 40:36 from all 3 judges and have given all 4 rounds to Vitali. Peter needs to find a knockout out of somewhere here, or atleast rattle him a bit.

Edit: Peter has just quit on his stool at the end of the 8th round. Im sorry you have to be brave to go into a ring, but thats quitting and for a reigning champion? Not impressed by that. In my opinion he should have fought on and tried for a knock out. He was clearly outclassed, but you gotta try and retain your belt.

Vitali's the champ again, congrats to him. But i have to wonder of the quality in this division.

DarienA

Sam Peter... exposed as the untalented one shot only hack he his.
Chad Dawson... great handspeed, great combinations, good defense, and impressive showing.

Chad's display made up for the Sam Peter crap.

cthoaa

iny9p4.jpg

Over and over with some hooks for good measure. Ouch. But it was kinda funny how Vitali's chest was all red from Peter's punches.

kojacker said:
Peter has just quit on his stool at the end of the 8th round. Im sorry you have to be brave to go into a ring, but thats quitting and for a reigning champion? Not impressed by that. In my opinion he should have fought on and tried for a knock out. He was clearly outclassed, but you gotta try and retain your belt.

Vitali's the champ again, congrats to him. But i have to wonder of the quality in this division.
I was pretty surprised, too, because while that last round must have been disheartening, it wasn't particularly so in comparison to the others. He probably wasn't going to get anywhere and quitting saved him from more of the same, but not making it to the championship rounds in that type of fight in that manner showed a lack of both talent and desire.

DarienA said:
Chad Dawson... great handspeed, great combinations, good defense, and impressive showing.

Chad's display made up for the Sam Peter crap.
This, plus it puts the close call against Glen Johnson in the rear view. Really good stuff from Chad, and Tarver, while outworked throughout, showed lots of spunk at the end. (He did suffer another of those awkward, windmilling glove touchdowns in the twelfth, though.)

cthoaa

muwewg.jpg

E:60 Kelly Pavlik (ESPN)

Kelly Pavlik E:60 1/2 (YouTube)
Kelly Pavlik E:60 2/2 (YouTube)

Kelly Pavlik segment from E:60 earlier this week; Jeremy Schaap presents. The ESPN link has just the story portion; the YouTube uploads also have the "pitch" and "wrap-up" scenes. It's mainly the story up to the first Taylor fight updated with recent occurrences.

Weigh-in is in a few minutes. It will be available for streaming on Yahoo and ESPN starting at 5:00-5:15 EDT.

EDIT:

Hopkins 170, Pavlik 169.

33eu5jk.jpg

Not sure if Hopkins had his shoes on at this point, but he looked taller and little bigger than Pavlik in the face-to-face.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Hopkins just gave Pavlik a good lesson on boxing. Fuck, at the end of the fight he was telling him how to fight. Hopkins was definitely tired at R10 and R11, saving up... and exploded at R12 again. He used his techniques and showed an abnormal speed against Pavlik. Really, I am surprised. Good one Hopkins :D

DarienA

An incredible performance by Hopkins tonight.. OMG... it was incredible. Of the 3 of us watching I expected him to win by decision, but never did I expect him to control the fight, be as quick as he was and land at will.

It was awesome.

This fight is gonna crush Pavlik more than people may think, mentally. That post fight interview with Larry Merchant said it all. If I was Hopkins, I'd retire now. This is probably the most defining moment in his career, go out on top.

However, if Roy Jones Jr. defeats Calzaghe...........it'd be a nice fight to see.

Absolute master class from Bernard.

He really made Kelly look like an amateur tonight- a true boxing clinic!

Wonder why that Hopkins didn't turn up against Joe Calzaghe?

Style makes fights though!

Quazar

Good shit Hopkins. Pavlik was destroyed. I was hoping Hopkins would get the KO though.

gollumsluvslave said:
Absolute master class from Bernard.

He really made Kelly look like an amateur tonight- a true boxing clinic!

Wonder why that Hopkins didn't turn up against Joe Calzaghe?

Style makes fights though!

Cause Calzaghe is the fucking man. Very different fighter than Pavlik fight/weight wise.

Cause Calzaghe is the fucking man. Very different fighter than Pavlik fight/weight wise.

Well it certainly puts his performace against Bernard in a different light.

Bernard to fight the winner of Calzaghe Roy Jones in a super-fight? I expect JC to win a comfortable points victory against RJJ, but after that display by Bernard, I wouldn't rule out Roy turning back the clock either!

Calzaghe - Hopkins at Millenium Stadium in 2009 would surely be a monster fight!

cthoaa

I am kinda stunned and very pumped up after watching that fight. I wasn't watching when Hopkins destroyed Tito, but I imagine the feeling would have been similar.

I about lost it when Hopkins threw that bolo punch. So good.

His corner was also clowning Pavlik throughout: "Nobody's ever jabbed with this guy and they went and made him a superstar."

When he was talking to Pavlik at the end of the fight, he did have kind words for Kelly and it showed good sportmanship, but still it must have been very humbling--Pavlik could only stand there nod his head.

When he was talking to Pavlik at the end of the fight, he did have kind words for Kelly and it showed good sportmanship, but still it must have been very humbling--Pavlik could only stand there nod his head.

QFT, I thought Hopkins showed real class and offered some real advice - he told Kelly that he was a middleweight, and to not let the defeat get hime down.

He is right though - Kelly's power definitely did not come up to 170, and he seemed lethargic.

Hopefully Kelly can come back stronger having learned a ton and clean up the middle weight division.

Quazar

cthoaa said:
I am kinda stunned and very pumped up after watching that fight. I wasn't watching when Hopkins destroyed Tito, but I imagine the feeling would have been similar.

I about lost it when Hopkins threw that bolo punch. So good.

His corner was also clowning Pavlik throughout: "Nobody's ever jabbed with this guy and they went and made him a superstar."

Indeed. As excited I am for Hopkins, I just can't see what's next for him. Maybe a RJ fight?

flem1

Wow, Bhop proved me wrong. That was a great performance. He made Pavlik look one dimensional and even shut his jab and straight right.

I could only hope for a RJJ vs. Bhop match. I doubt Hopkins would fight Chad Dawson but I'll be really happy if it happens

Hopkins won?

An understatement - Hopkins DOMINATED and took Kelly to school.

I had the scores as a complete shut-out 12-0. Kelly may have sneaked 1 round when Bernard had a point deducted, but even that was generous.

Bernard really confounded everyone and came out and controlled the fight and the pace from the off and was always the aggressor, which is really bizarre as everyone was expecting KP to set the pace and show his usual workrate.

This was the most one-sided 12 round fight since Calzaghe demolished Jeff Lacey. I just hope that the loss doesn't affect Kelly Pavlik in the same way, cos Lacey was aruined by that fight.

Top Bottom