• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Discussion

smurfx

get some go again
pavlik got exposed tonight. he needs to move back down in weight. this wasn't one of those fights where the old veteran uses his many tricks to barely beat the young fighter. this was the old veteran dominating the young fighter and proving that he doesn't deserve all the praise he was getting.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
BHop schooled Pavlik. I didn't expect Kelly to look this slow though. Was it the weight? But no matter, Hopkins would have won. The man is an all-time great. In the end, Pavlik was tailor-made for Hopkins. A power puncher against the master of the counterpunch? I should have seen it coming.

Calzaghe neutralized Hopkins because of his angles and handspeed. No one throws quite like him and he landed more punches on Hopkins that any of his other opponents. Pavlik is good but he'll never be as fast as Calzaghe.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
HOLY SHIT HOPKINS JUST MADE ME $2000 WHEN I JUST BET 500 ON HIM :lol This is better than the stock market

Great result for Kessler.
Awesome combo to end it:-
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=lOkR9ciEiqk

As far as I see it he is the man to beat at 168.

Possibilities, depending on a Bute /Andrade rematch:-

Kessler vs

Winner of Pascal v Froch
Winner of Taylor v Lacy

or Lucien Bute depending on whether there is a rematch - Kessler has already shutout Andrade so I can't see that happening.

Quazar

Watch this crazy shit from Friday: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ARs8axyaDz0

gollumsluvslave said:

As far as I see it he is the man to beat at 168.

Possibilities, depending on a Bute /Andrade rematch:-

Kessler vs

Winner of Pascal v Froch
Winner of Taylor v Lacy

or Lucien Bute depending on whether there is a rematch - Kessler has already shutout Andrade so I can't see that happening.

Yea, good shit for Kessler.

John_B

gollumsluvslave said:
I felt a bit bad for Häussler, he was totally overmatched. Thankfully he went down fast and escaped any serious harm.

Kessler's promotors are really interested in a Hopkins matchup, preferably this spring. I hope they can work out a deal quickly, because it would be an awesome fight.

cthoaa

Quazar said:
What a dip shit ref last night huh cthoaa.
I swore that this was going to be on last night, not Friday... was Bute just tired in that last round or was he beaten into such a condition?

Anyway, that ending was very reminiscent of JCC-Taylor I. Bute's pretty much propped up on the ropes when the ref was wiping his gloves. Had the referee made Bute walk towards him, he would have seen how his legs weren't there.

The ref in the post-fight interview (Showtime seems to have no problem interviewing referees after controversy) flat admitted that Bute was out on his feet at one point.

Sucks for Andrade, but he's got powerful representation in Al Haymon so he can expect to get a rematch somewhere down the line.

Speevy said:
That was like a pro wrestling match in which the wrestler shoves the referee into the ropes and he misses the heel's entourage powerbombing the opponent.
Ha, exactly. Or how about a referee who stops the counting a pin just because a manager or someone gets up onto the apron? Just finish the count!

cthoaa

e8qpty.jpg

HBO's doing three "24/7" shows for both Calzaghe-RJJ and DLH-Pacquiao. A new Calzaghe/Jones show debuts next Sunday and another next Thursday, two days before the fight.

Calzaghe/Jones 24/7 Part I (1/3)
Calzaghe/Jones 24/7 Part I (2/3)
Calzaghe/Jones 24/7 Part I (3/3)

EDIT:

Oof. HBO had those taken down fairly quickly.

cthoaa

rrl8us.jpg

F.Sturm (c, 30-2-1, 13 KOs) vs. S.Sylvester (29-2, 14 KOs) - WBA middleweight title

First German vs. German world title fight in eight years. The promotional clash pits Universum's Felix Sturm against Sauerland's Sebastian Sylvester for Sturm's WBA title. The winner can hope to unify against either Arthur Abraham (IBF) or Kelly Pavlik (WBC, WBO) but it's more likely their respective promoters will have those two fight first.

Chief support is Segei Dzinziruk vs. Joel Julio for the WBO light middleweight title.

9qjj1e.jpg

C.Mijares (c, 36-3-2, 15 KOs) vs. V.Darchinyan (c, 30-1-1, 24 KOs) - WBC, IBF, WBA super flyweight titles

115-pound unification bout. I suppose Vic could land a big left and change the fight, but it's more likely he'll get countered repeatedly and end up dropping nine rounds to Mijares.

The winner could eventually fight Nonito Donaire who is defending his own titles tonight on Top Rank's PPV. It's headlined by the JCC Jr.-Matt Vanda rematch and also features a Jorge Arce title fight.

Quazar

cthoaa said:
I swore that this was going to be on last night, not Friday... was Bute just tired in that last round or was he beaten into such a condition?

Just tired IMO. He owned the whole fight pretty much which made what happened so um....crazy.

I think I'm more interested in the undercard on Showtime tonight.

Thanks for updates as usual.

Quazar

Reneledarker said:
Mijares disappointed big time, nice punch by Darchinyan.

Yea, Darchinyan looked nice the whole fight. Another questionable ref call the fight before.

My brother: "This is why I have trouble watching showtime fights with you." :lol

Not like it mattered in the end but still.

kojacker

Hi, would anyone know any bars, etc downtown Chicago that will be showing the Calzaghe/Jones fight?

Im currently stuck here but none of the sports bars I've found are showing it because it's ppv, I might have to order it myself but would rather sink the 50 bucks into beers.

RJJ is going to win tonight. Slapboxing isn't going to get it done tonight.

I'll be the first to eat crow if that happens, but unless Roy has found the keys to a time-machine, *on paper* this is an easy UD for Calzaghe.

Calzaghe after a 3 year ring-rusty fat Tito Trinidad is a pretty big step up in class!

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
gollumsluvslave said:
I'll be the first to eat crow if that happens, but unless Roy has found the keys to a time-machine, *on paper* this is an easy UD for Calzaghe.

Calzaghe after a 3 year ring-rusty fat Tito Trinidad is a pretty big step up in class!
Manfredo.gif

I've seen the Undertaker connect more in the ring than this shit man. :lol

Fuck all the haters that said this would be dull!

Excellent stuff from both fighters!

Calzaghe down in round 1, but has won 2 & 3.

Jones starting to tire?

Slizz

god this is annoying....50 dollars jus aint worth it to see this fight, i like the price of free......but THE MAN keeps fucking with me an takin all the sites down

harSon

Banned
I'd love to see Calzaghe try and fight Roy in his prime, wouldn't even be competitive :lol RJJ looked better in his last fight with Trinidad but that's honestly not saying much, he still looked like an aging hack in the beginning of that fight.

KiNeSiS

Banned
What's wack is I can't see this fight!
Roy could be nice it's not age thats the issue it's lack of heart and work ethic after being wealthy beyond belief.... His hunger isn't the same....

No one can deny RJJ's accomplishments I think Calazaghe has this but who knows...
No one surpasses the Rocky Marciano curse....

Top Bottom