• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Discussion

jakncoke

Banned
I dunno if anyone else caught the DeMarcus Corley/Hector Sanchez fight on ESPN2 tonight but Corley got fucked over, 74-77 my ass, shitty judges

Kingpen

Even though he fought an over the hill tomato can tonight, I'm very excited for Cristobal.... He really needs some dedication in his training. Those cock diesel Klitcshko brothers will demolish him with his flabby gut.

If he lost 10 pounds though, he would give them a good run. 27 - 0 now with 24 knockouts.

I hope he gets a title fight soon.

If I was a promoter, I give him one more tune up fight, and then give him one of the Klitcshkos on Cinco De Mayo next year. Could you imagine how much money on a PPV buy they would make on that? There has never been a Mexican or Mexican/American heavyweight title holder.

h_a_t

I wonder if this will be a Hopkins like performance in the sense that Wright is trying to learn the range the first few rounds........I don't think so, but that would be cool.
:D

Quazar

haha despite tha beatdown by Paul, Winky looked pretty good for his age/time off. Chris looked good as always. I'm so hyped for Manny/Hatton. :D

So when is Ariola gonna get a shot at Klitschko? Id love to see him put a beating on him.

I have not quite seen a fighter like Williams before. He does not seem to have a lot of punching power but damn he probably could have gone 20 rounds and still been bouncing around the ring.

Kingpen

What sucks for Williams, is that people have ducked him for years since he is a mutant for his weight class with his height/reach.

His dominant performance tonight only means more ducking...

6a00d83451586c69e20115703118ea970b-pi

:lol

Haye is bringing the comedy to this promotion, pre-fight. I can't believe people think he's genuinely trying to appear 'bad'.

Quazar

lol at Spinks. Actually lol at king trying to get Mayweather with Spinks.

I'm really pissed about Kirklands run in with the law. Now he's off the Ricky/Manny undercard.

Here's a quote about Kirkland:

Ring said:
James Kirkland has been removed from the May 2 Manny Pacquiao-Ricky Hatton card after a federal judge refused Friday to release him from jail in Austin, Texas, where he is being held on a federal gun charge.

Kirkland, already on probation for a 2003 armed robbery conviction, was arrested on Sunday by Austin police and Bureau of Alcohol, Tabacco and Firearms agents after they allegedly found a loaded pistol in his car, according to ATF spokesperson Franceska Perot.

He was taken into custody by the ATF and charged Monday by a federal magistrate with illegal possession of a firearm and ammunition by a convicted felon, which carries a maximum prison sentence of 10 years, Perot said. Kirkland, 25, will next be in court to issue his plea, although no date has been set.

Also, court documents cited by the Austin American-Statesman indicate that Kirkland’s probation officer was in the process of revoking his probation over another incident, in which the fighter allegedly threw another pistol underneath a vehicle.

He was scheduled to fight Michael Walker on the pay-per-show show from Las Vegas.

“We did what we could,” said Schaefer, referring to the detention hearing. “We even submitted a letter to the court suggesting we’d assign an off-duty police officer to stay with James at all times. We had even selected an officer. The court wasn’t moved, though. They won’t let him travel.

“The fact is he got caught buying gun with his own ID. He didn’t use it, he didn’t threaten anybody, he didn’t shoot anybody, but he bought a gun. He shouldn’t have done that. That was a really bad decision on his part.”

Kirkland, THE RING’s No. 9-rated junior middleweight, was undefeated and one the fastest-rising stars in the sport because of his brawling style. He would’ve begun to make big money had he continued to win.

Now, he’s being compared to Ike Ibeabuchi, a one-time promising heavyweight whose career was destroyed when he went to prison on battery and other charges.

“We’ll see what happens,” Schaefer said. “Hopefully he’ll get through this. We’ll definitely have him move from Austin. And I would have him sit down and have a serious conversation with (ex-convict) Bernard Hopkins, to make some changes in his life.

“Look how Bernard’s life turned out. That’ll mean more to James than hearing it from you or me.”

http://www.ringtv.com/blog/596/kirkland_off_may_2_card/

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Bout time Allan Green got his ass back on TV, and didn't look at his shoes!

Taylor looking good so far... can the stamina keep up....

Kirkland is a dumb ass, but Jacobs has stepped up to take his place.

cthoaa

I'm only just catching up with some of the fights from the past few weeks. (Still getting Froch-Taylor.)

Penalosa's been a favorite of mine so it sucked seeing him rendered a non-entity in the ring. But he hung in there and did his best facing such a firepower/size/reach/everything deficit. It was nice to hear him get respect from the commentators for his toughness. And he lasted waaaay longer against Lopez than did DPDL. :lol

I like Juanma a lot and it's hard to be critical following such a performance, but he did eat quite a few right hooks. It may have just been a case where he loosened up seeing as how nothing from Gerry could hurt him, but it was jarring to see him administer such a beating on his opponent, then get his head turned out of nowhere. Vs. a naturally heavier guy I could see Juanma getting buzzed a little, but IMO (admittedly biased) none of the top guys in the division counterpunch as well or fight the same technical fight as Penalosa. (Rafa Marquez totally could, but doesn't.)

Hatton-Pacquiao weigh-in is in a few hours at 2:30PM PT/5:30 ET on HBO.com, ESPN, and Yahoo. And the last 24/7 show is tonight, too.

Kingpen

Just saw that Money Mayweather is coming back to fight Juan Manuel Marquez in July...

For some reason my gut is telling me Marquez might pull an upset....

What do you guys think of this fight.

I don't know who to predict for Hatton - Pacman as they are both some of my favorite fighters...

I think pacman will take it though

Kingpen said:
Just saw that Money Mayweather is coming back to fight Juan Manuel Marquez in July...

I don't know who to predict for Hatton - Pacman as they are both some of my favorite fighters...

Just seen this now. I called the Froch Taylor fight in my circle and I'm calling Hatton for this fight

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
i want a Hatton vs Floyd rematch with Floyds father in Hatton's Corner...

but the bank would be in the pacman vs Floyd fight... I need more 24-7

Malleymal said:
i want a Hatton vs Floyd rematch with Floyds father in Hatton's Corner...

but the bank would be in the pacman vs Floyd fight... I need more 24-7

Snr. will never do that, hence Roach being DLH's corner man....As Joy sai: "Family maaaaan"

harSon

Banned
Hatton will get destroyed, still think he's a talentless bum. Well, not talentless, simply undeserving of any spotlight.

puebla

Kingpen said:

Floyd vs Juan.... i wouldn't call it a mismatch because Juan is too good but it will obviously be a tough fight for him to win.

Hatton-Pacman, i'm excited for this fight. i've been going back and forth but i have to go with Manny by tko around the 9th-10th round in a thriller.

Quazar

harSon said:
Hatton will get destroyed, still think he's a talentless bum. Well, not talentless, simply undeserving of any spotlight.

Big words.

So....did anyone watch Carlos Abregu vs. Irving Garcia last night? Definitely fight of the year so far. That might only be matched by Miguel Cotto /Joshua Clottey.

Quazar

BakedPigeon said:
Ive watched some big fights through justin.tv but that site has super laggy channels.

Yea, I wouldn't bet on jtv. They get closed down so quickly these days. Ustream is pretty good though. Thankfully I won't have too deal with this tonight.

Quazar said:
Yea, I wouldn't bet on jtv. They get closed down so quickly these days. Ustream is pretty good though. Thankfully I won't have too deal with this tonight.

Me either, Ive already ordered it. Not long of a wait now!

puebla

Quazar said:
Big words.

So....did anyone watch Carlos Abregu vs. Irving Garcia last night? Definitely fight of the year so far. That might only be matched by Miguel Cotto /Joshua Clottey.
have you forgotten about Marquez-Diaz? i saw last night's fight and it was fun but both of them were pretty mediocre fighters. can't wait for Cotto/Clottey.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
I heard it starts at 11pm.

Any one know of a good place to see it online? justin tv is kind of fuckin' up and I'm not paying 50 bucks for this shit which might end in 4 rounds.

edit--pacquiao is gonna beat his ass. I wish hatton would win because pac beat up delahoya and he was my hero growing up. Doubt hatton will even hurt him tho

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Download TVUPlayer and watch it on channel 21501, been playing perfectly for me.

ChrisGoldstein said:
I heard it starts at 11pm.

Any one know of a good place to see it online? justin tv is kind of fuckin' up and I'm not paying 50 bucks for this shit which might end in 4 rounds.

edit--pacquiao is gonna beat his ass. I wish hatton would win because pac beat up delahoya and he was my hero growing up. Doubt hatton will even hurt him tho

Ustream has a decent stream, better than the ones on justin.tv for sure

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Purchased the fight. Sitting here with some friends and watching this over glorious HD. I am rooting for Hatton, he's a really nice guy and I like him :D

Top Bottom