• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Braid (XBLA/PC/PSN/Mac) |OT|

What the fuck!?

How are you supposed to get the first piece on the last level of world 4? There is no pattern to this. I thought the way it works was:
The key can only follow you forward, but if you go back, it rewinds, so I used the moving platform to catch the enemy to bring the key furthur behind the the second ladder, so then I could just go up and open the door and grab the piece. I do all this, but then the key teleports from the enemy to the ground below...WHAT!

Nevermind...there we go. Idea was right, execution was wrong.

Gowans

had to skip my first part puzzle piece on 4-6 now of the last stage on 7 and my key is being a son of a bitch :lol

Would appreciate a small hint for World 5:6 (Lair) if anyone can help

I can hit the boss 4 times, but I need to hit him 5 times. The chandeliers don't come back and I'm REALLY confused. lol

Gowans

just got it the last stage in world 4 done, I love it when it suddenly clicks whats going on and how you can do it to get through the stage such a great feeling.

ElNarez

Banned
Psychotext said:
Would appreciate a small hint for World 5:6 (Lair) if anyone can help

I can hit the boss 4 times, but I need to hit him 5 times. The chandeliers don't come back and I'm REALLY confused. lol
Purple colored things will react to real things and to their "time shadows". This is also why you score two points per chandelier hit instead of one.

watership

CronosBlade said:
Log in to the zune.net website. Choose Social -> My Account -> Buy MS Points. No software needed.

I don't think you can do that in Canada. I click on buy points, and it takes me to redeem code. No other option.

I just bought it after a bit of time with it.. wow, what a awesome game, the music on my home theater setup is simply amazing. The game play is wicked, i love the design of this game. This is why i pay for xbox live.. its games like this, sure more of this type of stuff is needed on XBLA but its coming and im more then happy to pay for games like that at 1200 point cost it requires.

Like someone else said..i love this gen as well. XBLA makes owning a 360 worth it in its own right the upcoming future stuff is living proof of that.

Wizpig

I'm sure these are stupid questions, but i just bought the game:

- How do i save?
- Can i complete [all puzzle pieces] World 2 without going to World 3 first?
It seems impossible though, some pieces are hard...

Something about this game that captures my childhood memories. Im 34 years old so i grew up back in the day watching Mr.Rodgers and stuff like that and for some odd reason this game pulls me into its bizzare but yet some soothing & comforting world..its very hard to explain i guess and maybe my description of what i feel when i play this game is the best way to express what i feel but hard for you to understand what i mean..regardless, its one remarkable game, i must say.

Art style is diffrent then most of this genre..think of a mixture of paper mario, mario bros on nes but with a music score thats mind blowing and so magical to the ear. The puzzle's make you have to use your brain and it sooo satifiying when you complete a puzzle..you get a feeling of genuine completness when you conquer a puzzle..

... the sound pumped up on my 3000 dollar home theater sound setup is simply brilliant. Amazing and captures the essence of what this game aims to do.. which is suck you out of your world into its own world.

5:6 (Lair) spoiler...
ElNarez said:
Purple colored things will react to real things and to their "time shadows". This is also why you score two points per chandelier hit instead of one.

Doing that but I'm still not sure what's going on. I hit the boss with the two real chandeliers, rewind and them hit him again - getting 4 hits.

But then I'm completely stuck. Nothing left to hit him with and all rewinding does is bring the chandeliers back for another 4 hits. :(

Longest... work day... ever.

I really want to play this as soon as I get home, but now that I'm already a bit LTTP, I think I'll wait until tonight when I can turn out all the lights, pop on some headphones, and chill with this game. :D

Now I am really confused. I think the stage is 5 - 7 and called
Fragile Companion. 2 Locked purple doors, one enemy, one time key....I can't figure this out at all.

Gowans

Linkzg said:
Now I am really confused. I think the stage is 5 - 7 and called
Fragile Companion. 2 Locked purple doors, one enemy, one time key....I can't figure this out at all.

The purple means
your shadow can interact with it so it can open the door then you can rewind
that should help

FrankT

Braid developer Jonathan Blow has said that he would have preferred his XBLA game Braid to cost 800 MS points instead of 1200.

Advertisement:
"My feeling was that Microsoft would price the game at 1200 no matter what I said," he wrote on his blog.

The game is drawing in rave reviews across the internet (see Xbox World 360's glowing review here) but the £10 price tag is causing some to be put off.

"I would have been perfectly happy with a launch price of 800 points," Blow added. "At 1200 points I am less happy, but I am okay with it."

Blow also said that he hoped discussion would focus more on the game than the price. "5 years from now, or 10 years from now, I hope people are talking about the game with respect to others in the history of games," he said. "That is what I care about."

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=194777

Probably old, but Braid developer would have been happier with an 800ms price point for the game, but it looks like MS had the final word there. Personally for a game of this caliber 15 looks to be a steal.

Wizpig said:
I'm sure these are stupid questions, but i just bought the game:

- How do i save?

You don't have to save it manually. It saves automatically. If you exit and load it again, it will bring you to world selection screen. Not sure if it would save your progress if you halfway through stage.

Yes. I did it couple of times. Press "Start" and then "Exit current world" or something..then you can enter again.

Gowans007 said:
The purple means
your shadow can interact with it so it can open the door then you can rewind
that should help

Yeah, but the problem is that
my shadow can't open the locked door since the key is a time key. If I rewind, former me can't open it.

Nevermind, there we go. I had the idea right, but the execution was wrong.

h3ro

This game is awesome. Great music and art style :D

Loved the little ode to SMB2 with the dinosaur...:lol

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
I beat it. It's just okay for what it was trying to be.
Also, I am not a fan of telling story in a video game through text. Especially the text in this game.

It was fun while it's lasted. Though, the puzzles that required a little bit of platforming, the ones that you knew how to complete you just had to do it a bunch of times before you got the timing just right were kind of lame. It's not this year's Portal like someone said earlier, but its good and unique, like Portal. The guy who made this (his name escapes me right now) probably learned a lot from making Braid and I'm sure his next game is just gonna be badass.

I loved the music. Definitely the best part of the game. Visuals could have used a little more variety for such a short game though.

ElNarez

Banned
Psychotext said:
5:6 (Lair) spoiler...

Doing that but I'm still not sure what's going on. I hit the boss with the two real chandeliers, rewind and them hit him again - getting 4 hits.

But then I'm completely stuck. Nothing left to hit him with and all rewinding does is bring the chandeliers back for another 4 hits. :(

Okay, let's make this a lot more obvious.

"Time Shadows" aren't effected by time, as opposed to real objects, who are dependant of time. If you jump in a pit and die, then rewind, your shadow will still jump in a pit and die. Get it ?

I feel like I did when I was playing Portal.

A) That this game is something extremely special
B) Amazed at how trusting instincts actually leads to solving puzzles.

Brilliant game.:D

Jtyettis said:
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=194777

Probably old, but Braid developer would have been happier with an 800ms price point for the game, but it looks like MS had the final word there. Personally for a game of this caliber 15 looks to be a steal.

Nice selective quoting by CVG. In the same posts, Blow said that he chose to go with 1200, and he said it multiple times. It would be one thing if he said that he pleaded for 800 and was shot down, but he has never said that and has said quite a bit to the contrary.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Kinda thinking about buying this, but I'm leery about the $15 price tag. Skip all your "don't be cheap, it could be a $30 PSP game!" comments - they won't have an effect on me. The fact is, I'm just not sure about this one, and I wanna hear the other side of the coin before making my decision.

So, is there anyone out there that *regrets* their purchase entirely? Or doesn't feel it was worth the price? Be honest, now! I'm curious to hear some balance in the overwhelmingly positive initial coverage.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Nice selective quoting by CVG. In the same posts, Blow said that he chose to go with 1200, and he said it multiple times. It would be one thing if he said that he pleaded for 800 and was shot down, but he has never said that and has said quite a bit to the contrary.

I've always thought the 800 vs. 1200 thing was absurd, but I do think MS is partially to blame with their spacebucks system, as well as peoples' not being used to DD, and also having some ridiculous notion that every DD game "should" cost 400 or 800 (because hey, some pretty good ones cost 800 so ya know). If we were talking about a widely praised new release coming out for $20, the thread would overflowing with joyous gifs, as has almost always been the case in the rare instances where that happens.

ElNarez

Banned
Anyone who says this is the new Portal is wrong. Portal grabbed you by the hand and explained you every game mechanic before throwing the big challenging puzzles at you. Braid puts you right in front of said big challenging puzzles, and lets you trying to figure it out. The lack of explainations of any kind makes it both challenging and kinda discouraging.

Dabanton

rohlfinator said:
Longest... work day... ever.

I really want to play this as soon as I get home, but now that I'm already a bit LTTP, I think I'll wait until tonight when I can turn out all the lights, pop on some headphones, and chill with this game. :D

yep that's my plan as well.:D

ElNarez said:
Anyone who says this is the new Portal is wrong. Portal grabbed you by the hand and explained you every game mechanic before throwing the big challenging puzzles at you. Braid puts you right in front of said big challenging puzzles, and lets you trying to figure it out. The lack of explainations of any kind makes it both challenging and kinda discouraging.
I was more comparing the aspects of when in Portal you stumble upon a solution. At happened to my quite a bit in Portal, and it's happening quite a bit in Braid as well.

FrankT

ElNarez said:

Sounds like my cup of tea.

rhino4evr

ElNarez said:

discouraging? I think it just makes the reward of solving the problems that much more rewarding, which is very encoruaging unless you don't enjoy puzzles.

Gowans

Linkzg said:
Yeah, but the problem is that
my shadow can't open the locked door since the key is a time key. If I rewind, former me can't open it.

Nevermind, there we go. I had the idea right, but the execution was wrong.

man Linkzg Im on the that level now, i didn't realise ?????????

edit: think Gowans think!
How can I my shadow with the shadow key to open the first door???

edit editL done :D

ElNarez

Banned
rhino4evr said:
discouraging? I think it just makes the reward of solving the problems that much more rewarding, which is very encoruaging unless you don't enjoy puzzles.
The thing is, I feel like I've abandoned by my mother in the middle of a very heavily crowded supermarket, and I'm looking for that lady at the entrance that will call mommy with her microphone. It's fun, I can go to the aisle with all the toys, but at the end of the day I need my mommy.

rhino4evr

ElNarez said:
The thing is, I feel like I've abandoned by my mother in the middle of a very heavily crowded supermarket, and I'm looking for that lady at the entrance that will call mommy with her microphone. It's fun, I can go to the aisle with all the toys, but at the end of the day I need my mommy.

I guess that's just your personality. Which is really, really strange to me.

ElNarez said:
I'm the kind of guy that knows my mommy isn't going to leave the store without me, and personally love the thrill of searching for her.

The lack of handholding is one of the things I anticipate most about this game. Too much unnecessary player guiding has all but ruined a lot of classic franchises.

GDJustin said:
So, is there anyone out there that *regrets* their purchase entirely? Or doesn't feel it was worth the price? Be honest, now! I'm curious to hear some balance in the overwhelmingly positive initial coverage.
I'm interested in hearing this too. Though I suspect that most of the people who wouldn't get their money's worth out of this game will probably realize that after trying the demo.

ElNarez said:
Okay, let's make this a lot more obvious.

"Time Shadows" aren't effected by time, as opposed to real objects, who are dependant of time. If you jump in a pit and die, then rewind, your shadow will still jump in a pit and die. Get it ?
I think I'm going to sit there and look at the screen for a while more... :lol

Thanks for trying to help. My brain isn't working so well today.

Top Bottom