• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Braid (XBLA/PC/PSN/Mac) |OT|

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
rohlfinator said:
Though I suspect that most of the people who wouldn't get their money's worth out of this game will probably realize that after trying the demo.

Yeah, something about it just didn't click with me.
It didn't strike me as fun, at all. It's a very interesting concept and I was glad the demo showcased a few of the mechanics.. but in the end I just didn't really dig it.
So yes, I was that guy last night playing Ridge Racer 6 when everyone on your friendslist was playing Braid. :lol

Gowans

Bamboozeled again on World 6 stage 4 need a chow break.

I really don't want this game to end but each level has been a surprise with a new mechanic and just enough to keep it really concise and not dragging things out which I am really appreciating.

dralla

oh shit, didn't even know this was out, saw someone on my list playing. I'll buy it later tonight..has anyone beat it, how long of a game is it?

Some of these puzzles are utter genius and I don't think a single one has made me frustrated so far, I've certainly had a grin on my face each time I've solved them though.

The
slow-mo ring
is a great tool, it isn't so much how to use it, but where in that area.

Not trying to prevent anybody from buying this game right now, but apparently starting on August 10 Target will be selling 1600 MS Points for $14.99.

Buccket

Neo Member
dralla said:
oh shit, didn't even know this was out, saw someone on my list playing. I'll buy it later tonight..has anyone beat it, how long of a game is it?

I would like to know that too. Doesnt have to be 6 hours long, but World 2 in the demo was pretty short I think I only hear people talk about world 1-4

If you suck like me... pretty long. :lol

Other than a couple of hours of work I've been playing since 10am (about 9 hours ago). That's obviously getting all the pieces rather than just blasting through to get to the end.

AstroLad said:
I've always thought the 800 vs. 1200 thing was absurd, but I do think MS is partially to blame with their spacebucks system

Agreed, but they're also to blame for not establishing the full price space they intended to utilize on their service upfront with viable content offerings.

I personally don't see any reason why an original, digitally distributed title shouldn't sell for up to $20 (if it's in a category like XBLA defined in part by having a smaller "scope") but the value proposition needs to be defined carefully to make the various price points within that range make sense.

As it is, there isn't really anything about Braid (besides being a good game that people want to play) that actually justifies or explains the higher price. If you judge it in a vacuum, it's almost certainly "worth" $15, but there are plenty of hardcopy games that might be "worth" $90 (in that you'd feel satisfied buying them for that price on the used market years after they came out) but which one would still balk at being first-released at that price.

I'm stuck trying to get this piece on world 6-something (I don't think I can check the number right now)
It is the one where you need to drop the ladder down, then as it is bouncing you should climb it and reach the piece that way using a mixture of slowing down time with your bubble and that one platform that let you reverse time around you, but you are still. How am I supposed to do this? I am on the top of the ladder, the highest bounce it can have, yet this stupid bastard can't seem to fucking stand on the damn platform. He just fumble on the corner of it. I checked it again, this is the highest point this ladder can bounce. What the hell!?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
World 3-6, spiky pit, cannon firing bad guys, puzzle piece across the pit under the cannon. I'm feeling completely retarded here as I don't even see a possible way of doing it. There is some kind of glowing wall on the far side but I can't find any way to interact with it.

EDIT: Nevermind, I am retarded.

Linkzg said:
I'm stuck trying to get this piece on world 6-something (I don't think I can check the number right now)
It is the one where you need to drop the ladder down, then as it is bouncing you should climb it and reach the piece that way using a mixture of slowing down time with your bubble and that one platform that let you reverse time around you, but you are still. How am I supposed to do this? I am on the top of the ladder, the highest bounce it can have, yet this stupid bastard can't seem to fucking stand on the damn platform. He just fumble on the corner of it. I checked it again, this is the highest point this ladder can bounce. What the hell!?
You're doing it right, but you need to reverse time upwards to make the ladder go back up with you on it. Then it's just a case of timing running off it.

Nose Master

Sinatar said:
World 3-6, spiky pit, cannon firing bad guys, puzzle piece across the pit under the cannon. I'm feeling completely retarded here as I don't even see a possible way of doing it. There is some kind of glowing wall on the far side but I can't find any way to interact with it.

EDIT: Nevermind, I am retarded.

I still can't get that piece. I've gotten all the rest in world 3 :(

Psychotext said:
You're doing it right, but you need to reverse time upwards to make the ladder go back up with you on it. Then it's just a case of timing running off it.

but I can't. If I reverse time, I end up going back myself. The only time I seem to be able to reverse time without me moving is on that sparkling platform, then for a second when I step off, but that isn't enough time. I am having the same problem with the last level on world 6. I don't get this at all.

Fuck...I think I figured it out.

I still need help on the last in world 6 tho.

Gowans

im on the second of last stage on world 6, gutted I've had to leave 1 piece on the last three stages, which I'll go back and get but my brain will need to be on a higher level.

This level hmm I have that impossible feeling again, just waiting for the amazing sussed it feeling to start now. Such a buzz when some solution in my brain just clicks.

Linkzg said:
but I can't. If I reverse time, I end up going back myself. The only time I seem to be able to reverse time without me moving is on that sparkling platform, then for a second when I step off, but that isn't enough time. I am having the same problem with the last level on world 6. I don't get this at all.
You can reverse time while staying on the ladder. Note your glowy green outline.

Shake Appeal said:
You can reverse time while staying on the ladder. Note your glowy green outline.

Yeah, I figured it out. My problem was that I didn't realize you could
have the smaller horizontal platform move under the one with a ladder on it. That mixed me up.

Shake Appeal said:
Yes, he needs to have the platform over on the left with him otherwise obviously you're not going to get to it in time. :)

Linkzg said:
Yeah, I figured it out. My problem was that I didn't realize you could
have the smaller horizontal platform move under the one with a ladder on it. That mixed me up.
Oh,
I had the opposite problem. I got the platform out there early, but didn't realize you could reverse time on the ladder for a looong time

FFChris

I'm a bit hesitant on buying the game after the demo, I think I would if it was 800 but I got through the demo so quickly I can't bring myself to buy the entire thing, as you guys have made it seem a bit short.

Excellent music though, and the art style is fantastic. Not to mention the puzzles, really inventive stuff.

sciplore

a Master Ninja said:
Not trying to prevent anybody from buying this game right now, but apparently starting on August 10 Target will be selling 1600 MS Points for $14.99.
Thank you good sir, I have been agonizing on whether to spend my points. Now knowing that the deal is coming back I can buy this and Castle Crashers with no fear.:D

painey

I just played the trial and its a very nice game, but not worth 1200 points to me, once I beat it I would be done with it.

I need help with the last world 6 piece. This one is the only one that has stumped beyond the breaking point. It feels like I'm not supposed to get it, but obviously I do.

Nevermind. Once again I prove myself wrong here. That was actually pretty tough.

Konig94

Neo Member
I just beat world 2 (Genius last puzzle), and this game is pretty great. I have a feeling these puzzles will last me a while, because of how crazy it gets in the later worlds.

Fuck everyone in this thread.

I'm broke as SHIT and this is the first time I've ever wanted like 5 consecutive live arcade titles. Time to get to work...

Had to take a break in world 4 for my brain to coalesce.

It's like portal in that it relies on the one mechanic, but unlike portal it explores the concept much more thoroughly

I just played the trial and its a very nice game, but not worth 1200 points to me, once I beat it I would be done with it.

Not everything is a price/time equation.

Linkzg said:
I need help with the last world 6 piece. This one is the only one that has stumped beyond the breaking point. It feels like I'm not supposed to get it, but obviously I do.

Nevermind. Once again I prove myself wrong here. That was actually pretty tough.

can you give some tips please ?

I'm stuck with the last piece of the 5-4 too.

HolyStar

Banned
The Innocent X said:
Had to take a break in world 4 for my brain to coalesce.

It's like portal in that it relies on the one mechanic, but unlike portal it explores the concept much more thoroughly

Not everything is a price/time equation.

Eh, bang for your buck is the best. I want to get the most of my money.Will probably buy CC instead of this. Like most people said, at 800, I would have this game already.

Glix

I tried the demo this morning before work. Amazing. I can't wait to sink my teeth in.

I just bought 1200 exactly, from the zune store. (haha, MS, you can't get me with your inexact amounts!)

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Can someone help with 5-3 "Ground beneath her feet." How do you manipulate the lever right to get that piece?

HolyStar said:
Eh, bang for your buck is the best. I want to get the most of my money.Will probably buy CC instead of this. Like most people said, at 800, I would have this game already.

One hour playing a game is not always as much fun in one game to the next. Equation should be

price/time * fun factor.

I really want to get this game, but give me a break charging $15 for a game that can be beat in a few hours with zero replay value

Just finished it. Probably took me about 7 hours in total (I did get stuck on a few things) and it was one of the most pure, enjoyable gaming experiences I have ever had. Absolutely fantastic.

Looking forward to doing some speedruns but I'm going to leave it a week or thereabouts so it doesn't feel stale.

I just finished the game, got all pieces and gonna do speed run stuff now. First off, it is worth the money. Game is pretty great. I would say it is the best XBLA game that isn't a port, shooter, or 'classic game'. The ending:
World 1 was interesting. I liked the twist at the end and where it kind of finally showed some story other than the books. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the entire time you are playing as Tim, the psycho insane stalker who thinks he is going to save a princess or something? wtf? he was totally about to have his way with her highness before she ran away. What a creep.

Shake Appeal said:
Exactly one piece left, and it's the very last one, and I am utterly stumped.

If you need help with that one:
You have to plan ahead. That is the tip version. What you really need to exactly do is........set your time orb on the platform the key is on for a good 10-20 seconds, then remove it and go put it by the ladder and climb up. When on the sparkly platform, rewind back to when the time orb was next to the key. From there you can run and grab it. It took me a while to figure out.

just got done playing the demo and this was a no-brainer purchase for me. I fell it love with it, it's very charming :)

i look forward to playing it more after pineapple express.

i love the art style, but i REALLY love the music.

Y2Kev said:
Can someone help with 3-3 "Ground beneath her feet." How do you manipulate the lever right to get that piece?

Extend it, then wait for the enemy to drop down on it and let him walk through the hole and come out with the key. Then kill him.

Me_Marcadet said:
can you give some tips please ?

I'm stuck with the last piece of the 5-4 too.

Move that platform up there so the enemy walks and falls on the higher plane (with the small ladder), then keep letting him walk until he reaches the end. Let him jump on your head to get more air. Create yourself again and climb up and jump on his head after he jumped on your old one's.

Llyranor

The Innocent X said:
One hour playing a game is not always as much fun in one game to the next. Equation should be

price/time * fun factor.
Indeed. Fun factor should be the main deciding factor.

Unfortunately, the demo left me a bit underwhelmed. Interesting mechanics (esp. the world 4 part), but it failed to really wow me. I'm hesitant at this point. Will wait a bit.

Costanza said:
how do I get the puzzle piece above the door in the solving section of world 2?

edit:

wow

Get the enemy on the ledge in the painting, then pull the rug from under him

EDIT: too late I presume :D

I get on the leaderboard at 8th for fastest time on Leap of Faith, but then I see someone was able to do it 3 seconds faster! dammit! this is hard.

suikodan

Just bought the game but I can't seem to find how to beat the 1st boss you encounter. (the one that spits fire with spikes on its head.)

Help please? ;)

suikodan said:
Just bought the game but I can't seem to find how to beat the 1st boss you encounter. (the one that spits fire with spikes on its head.)

Help please? ;)

Hit him 5 times, with the 2 items that are heavy enough to damage him

Top Bottom