• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Braid (XBLA/PC/PSN/Mac) |OT|

Psychotext said:
Post Endgame:

lol... well I'm on the cloud now, and he's VERY slowly making his way across the level. I guess it's on the left hand side above the entrance.

How did you get on it btw? I've called it quits for today but I'll give it a try tomorow.

Railer

PjotrStroganov said:
How did you get on it btw? I've called it quits for today but I'll give it a try tomorow.

You have to enter the world through the right door. Then you have to jump up on the door with a keylock and jump from that onto the cloud. It takes AGES before the cloud gets there though.

Railer said:
You have to enter the world through the right door. Then you have to jump up on the door with a keylock and jump from that onto the cloud. It takes AGES before the cloud gets there though.
I got on it by jumping on the first enemy. Just jump off the cannon to the right and spring upwards.

btw... if anyone finds more, please share. I'm loving them so far! (Well, this one is a little stupid but the others have been good)

Railer

Psychotext said:
I got on it by jumping on the first enemy. Just jump off the cannon to the right and spring upwards.

btw... if anyone finds more, please share. I'm loving them so far! (Well, this one is a little stupid but the others have been good)

Weird, thats not possible in my game at all. And i've heard several others say this too. I've tried jumping on the enemy from the cannon, and it's not enough to get up on the cloud.

Railer said:
Weird, thats not possible in my game at all. And i've heard several others say this too. I've tried jumping on the enemy from the cannon, and it's not enough to get up on the cloud.
I did it twice (I stupidly rewound and then moved). Oddly enough it only worked by holding up as I jumped on him and even that didn't always work.

Wurm

Banned
Found another one. STAR LOCATION SPOILER:

4-7. Fickle Companion. You have to first get up and above to the platform for it to register, do this by rewinding time and chain-bouncing on Noomba's above the cannon. Now that the level knows you know theres more THE REAL FUN BEGINS. You need to get that Noomba from the cannon up to the new zone WITH THE KEY. I'll let you dudes figure out the rest if you get that FAR :lol .

5 stars down, 3 to go.

Costanza

Banned
Still hopelessly stuck on the last puzzle piece at the end of "Movement By Degrees" in world 4

seriously.. someone just tell me EXACTLY what to do.

Wurm said:
Found another one. STAR LOCATION
SPOILER:

4-7. Fickle Companion. You have to first get up and above to the platform for it to register, do this by rewinding time and chain-bouncing on Noomba's above the cannon. Now that the level knows you know theres more THE REAL FUN BEGINS. You need to get that Noomba from the cannon up to the new zone WITH THE KEY. I'll let you dudes figure out the rest if you get that FAR :lol .

5 stars
down,
to go.

Fixed

Costanza said:
Still hopelessly stuck on the last puzzle piece at the end of "Movement By Degrees" in world 4

seriously.. someone just tell me EXACTLY what to do.

Do you not understand what you have to do, or is it the execution?

Won

I know it is probably just me, but I'm now in world 6 and it is completely unfun and tedious.....horrible. :(

Wurm

Banned
I don't think letting people know there is a secret quest after the main game is a spoiler. Theyre so well hidden that people wouldnt even know to go looking unless someone told you. I know I didnt.

Costanza said:
execution

This is how I did it:

Stand at the base of the ladder, the one to the left of the block just before the area with the three plants on top.

Climb up, walk across and drop down to the area below.

Walk underneath the far right plant and let the goomba pass, then walk under the plant in the middle and let the goomba pass.

As soon as he passes, immediately rewind at 8x speed. Watch closely and stop rewinding when you end up back at the base of the ladder.

Doing this will lower the plant on the left, letting the goomba pass and drop onto the lower platform. You can then jump on him to get to the higher platform with the piece.

nfreakct

For those who are searching for those extra secret stars.

There is a star in 2-2. And it's pretty crazy in a very different way.

Costanza

Banned
Opus Angelorum said:
This is how I did it:

Stand at the base of the ladder, the one to the left of the block just before the area with the three plants on top.

Climb up, walk across and drop down to the area below.

Walk underneath the far right plant and let the goomba pass, then walk under the plant in the middle and let the goomba pass.

As soon as he passes, immediately rewind at 8x speed. Watch closely and stop rewinding when you end up back at the base of the ladder.

Doing this will lower the plant on the left, letting the goomba pass and drop onto the lower platform.
that worked, thanks.

MMaRsu said:
I see the platform moving left slowly, but I don't see anything else that can be manipulated to make that jump. I would figure you need to get the platform over the fire? But how do you open the barrier that blocks it?
You have to reach platform which is above moving one and do not rewind while doing so. Start level, go right, climb ladder, go left, pass enemies. You might be dieing and rewinding. During that time barrier keep moving. It doesn't go back to its original position and ends up blocking moving platform after some time.

fernoca said:
Wel, this thread is not fun..is a spoiler-tagged fest. :/
It would be better if people put a rough description before their spoilers... but it's better this way than having everyone posting openly about solutions and ruining the game.

Damn, the last piece on 5-5 is killing me. I understand the logic, but I can't find the solution.

EDIT

Eventually got it, some of the execution is rather flaky.

Wurm said:
I don't think letting people know there is
a secret quest
after the main game is a spoiler.
Theyre so well hidden that people wouldnt even know to go looking
unless someone told you. I know I didnt.

How about waiting until someone asks? And then spoiler tag it?
I thought the stars may have had something to do with finding all of the pieces, or something. If I managed to stumble across one during normal play, it would have been a surprise. Now it won't. "secret quest" means keep it secret.

Editing your post is up to you, but I won't propagate it.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
cjelly said:
I feel almost ashamed to say I'm stuck getting 2 pieces in World 3.

The one above the flaming spikes with the moving platform that gets stuck against the vertical platform, and the 2nd piece underground (with the 3 gates)
Plz help me, I'm dumb.

Post Endgame:
Wurm said:

5 stars down, 3 to go.
Ok... I can get up to the area, I can open the door and I can pull the lever... but all I get then is the noomba on the wrong side of the gate with no key. Obviously moving left will put the key back down to the normal area and rewinding closes the gate so the noomba can't get through with the key. So confused!

[Edit - Never mind, I got it... that's awesome!]

Jasoco

Banned
Wow. This game is amazing. I am seriously impressed at how much it makes you think in four dimensions.

A few levels really impressed me when I finally figured them out.

I spent a lot of time last night on "Jumpman" and gave up. Today I start up again and when I figured it out I was like "Oh my god. How did I not think of that?" Some other ones were awesome. "Elevator Action" really had me going. Holy shit! How did they think of that? And when I figured out "Another Castle" I was so happy. Total WTF moment right there. So satisfying.

But I am a bit stumped on my last 5 pieces. If anyone has any non-giveaway slight hints for them please let me know.

A Tingling 3-8: This one has the green switch and platform but one regular key and one slowly falling blockade. I obviously need to first get the platform to the right side then rewind. But how can I get the key from the monster and still get back over to the other side, through the key door and up to the stone door in time to grab the piece of the puzzle? It seems impossible and I've looked at all my options. (I don't have a ring yet so can't use that. Would make it sooo much easier. LOL)

Crossing the Gap 5-4: I am having trouble with the third piece, which is the one above the carpet. Obviously I need to get the goomba to the other side where the switch is by having him bounce on my head or rather my shadow's head. But I guess the timing is wrong because I can't get back up there in time to jump on him to get up on top of the carpet. I already got the other two pieces.

Window of Opportunity 5-5: Both pieces are giving me brain hurting. I don't seem to be fast enough or something. Not thinking fourth dimensionally enough.

Fragile Companion 5-7: The last one. One green key. Two purple doors. Shadow land. But I can't for the life of me figure it out. I've seen some points where my shadow will also have a green key as well as me but I can't get him to use it because in order for that to happen I'd have to use it too. But once I use mine I can't even rewind to get it back and the door closes back up. WTF? HELP!!

Jasoco said:
Fragile Companion 5-7: The last one. One green key. Two purple doors. Shadow land. But I can't for the life of me figure it out. I've seen some points where my shadow will also have a green key as well as me but I can't get him to use it because in order for that to happen I'd have to use it too. But once I use mine I can't even rewind to get it back and the door closes back up. WTF? HELP!!
How can you make sure your shadow keeps moving even when you are not?

Jasoco said:
Crossing the Gap 5-4: I am having trouble with the third piece, which is the one above the carpet. Obviously I need to get the goomba to the other side where the switch is by having him bounce on my head or rather my shadow's head. But I guess the timing is wrong because I can't get back up there in time to jump on him to get up on top of the carpet. I already got the other two pieces.
You're overthinking this one if we're talking about the highest piece in the level. The goomba doesn't need to jump on your head to get over to the other side.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Jasoco said:
Wow. This game is amazing. I am seriously impressed at how much it makes you think in four dimensions.

A few levels really impressed me when I finally figured them out.

A Tingling 3-8: This one has the green switch and platform but one regular key and one slowly falling blockade. I obviously need to first get the platform to the right side then rewind. But how can I get the key from the monster and still get back over to the other side, through the key door and up to the stone door in time to grab the piece of the puzzle? It seems impossible and I've looked at all my options. (I don't have a ring yet so can't use that. Would make it sooo much easier. LOL)

I'm gonna give you a hint about this one. I know I was stuck there for a while. Here's the hint:
Look elsewhere.
Not the most clarifying hint ever, but it's just a hint. Don't wanna spoil it for ya :D

Jasoco said:

Move the platform, get the key, get over the platform through the door and ignore that wall, then go across the lattice down to the bottom left firing cannon, cross that lattice and pull the other lever. Go back on the lattice and drop down on the new green platform it will make you unaffected by rewinding while on it. Rewind time back to the start of the level (you'll still be in the same place and the wall will be back up) and then go through all the lattice back to where you entered and grab the puzzle piece.

Jasoco

Banned
ItsInMyVeins said:
I'm gonna give you a hint about this one. I know I was stuck there for a while. Here's the hint:
Look elsewhere.
Not the most clarifying hint ever, but it's just a hint. Don't wanna spoil it for ya :D
Oh god, you are kidding me! That explains that
extra switch and plaform. I did not even realize the platform was sparkly. (Kinda hard to tell when everything else in the world sparkles too.)

Also, just got 5-4. 3 more to go!

itsinmyveins

Jasoco said:
Oh god, you are kidding me! That explains that
extra switch and plaform. I did not even realize the platform was sparkly. (Kinda hard to tell when everything else in the world sparkles too.)

Mmm, I didn't notice it during my first run through that area either, only when I came back later to solve the puzzle and
saw the switch in the corner -- which I hadn't noticed before.

Jasoco

Banned
ItsInMyVeins said:
Mmm, I didn't notice it during my first run through that area either, only when I came back later to solve the puzzle and
saw the switch in the corner -- which I hadn't noticed before.
I noticed the switch before, and I even activated it.
But I didn't notice that it was a special platform. I thought it was weird and out of place. God, that'll teach me to look closer from now on.
:lol

Won

Finished it. Interesting ending.

Imo a bit disappointing on the puzzle side of things. It seemed to get easier with each world. The later gimmicks don't really worked that great, or better, didn't really provide new challanging puzzles in regard of pure brain power needed.

Overall nice little game, but it needs a song at the end!

Jasoco

Banned
Speaking of DLC, I so hope they decide to put out some free new levels to twist our brains some more.

Anyway, one more piece! One more piece! Gotta get the timing right!

Window of Opportunity piece number 2

Cianalas said:
wtf? Is this in the game already, planned dlc, or just us being fucked with?

edit: nm, saw the post date.
Yeah, sorry I've made it clear in my post.

Though who knows... maybe if we're lucky! :lol
Won said:
Imo a bit disappointing on the puzzle side of things. It seemed to get easier with each world. The later gimmicks don't really worked that great, or better, didn't really provide new challanging puzzles in regard of pure brain power needed.
Find the stars if you want more of a challenge...

itsinmyveins

Jasoco said:
Speaking of DLC, I so hope they decide to put out some free new levels to twist our brains some more.

Anyway, one more piece! One more piece! Gotta get the timing right!

Window of Opportunity piece number 2

I'm kind of sure I read a comment on the Braid-blog where Jonathan Blow said there wouldn't be any DLC, apart from the various Gamer Pics.

"I don’t have any plans for DLC; the game is what it is." - Braid-blog, comments

Would be great if it sold well enough and they started thinking about new levels.

FrankT

Jeez just got my first star and it was work. So fulfilling, double fist pump when I finally got a hold of it using no tell how many strategies. Man this game is absolutely mind-blowing amazing.

Top Bottom