• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Braid (XBLA/PC/PSN/Mac) |OT|

Gowans

Costanza said:
That's what I've been trying to do :\ will not work

well you know how to do it, its just the execution then, really really odd I just synced up the plants and then when they were all down paused it and two got through , jump, jump done! hmm.

Gowans

Jtyettis said:
I put them pretty much above the cannon, but once I get past the 2nd cannon there is no way for me to get my ring back.

your placing it wrong, rethink, look around to where it could go to cover them all.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Ok I just want this to end now.

Need help world 1-3:
backwards goombas, broken ladder, I ride the goombas up to the platform near the door but given their trajectory it seems impossible to actually jump to the door. Is there some trick to this, or is it really as incredible retarded a jump as it appears. PS Fuck this game

Gowans

Sinatar said:
Ok I just want this to end now.

Need help world 1-3:
backwards goombas, broken ladder, I ride the goombas up to the platform near the door but given their trajectory it seems impossible to actually jump to the door. Is there some trick to this, or is it really as incredible retarded a jump as it appears. PS Fuck this game

I think you need to ride/(double) jump on another goomba to get up there Sin

Ben Sones

Sinatar said:
Need help world 1-3:

You can't reach the door from the platform below. You have to make a jump from the platform with the cannon on it. This requires that you ride your goomba up to the platform below the door, and then to the platform with the cannon. You will also need to have one extra goomba following behind, because you'll have to jump off the cannon platform and bounce off of him in order to reach the door.

I asked about the Level Editor that was mentioned a while ago in the Braid Blog comment section:

Jonathan Blow said:
For the PC version, I am not sure if there will be a level editor. It depends on whether I can make the game run in a reasonable way on user-created levels, without breaking everything that’s in there right now. Braid is pretty hard-coded.

As for whether it could happen on consoles — not on the Xbox 360, because Microsoft doesn’t allow people to share user-created content. On other consoles — if Braid ever gets onto one — who knows?
I find that interesting...

Chinner

Banned
I've completed world 6, and I just have to find 9 pieces and world 2-6 puzzles will be complete. I'm guessing more of the game unlocks after this?

I got past 4-7, thanks guys. I knew what to do but the execution was off.

Now I'm really stumped on 5-3, again I got the second key but the first seems impossible.

EDIT

Got it, just needed some lateral thinking.

What does the purple signify?

Sinatar

Are you kidding me? A timed wall of fire platforming sequence.

ARE. YOU. KIDDING. ME?

Did Jonathan Blow give up after world 5 and hire some homeless degenerate to design the last 2 worlds? Holy shit this is bad.

Wizpig

Am i the only one that, sometimes when playing this, goes back to World 2 just to listen to that awesome music again?

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Sinatar said:

ARE. YOU. KIDDING. ME?

Did Jonathan Blow give up after world 5 and hire some homeless degenerate to design the last 2 worlds? Holy shit this is bad.

If you're at the puzzle piece I'm thinking of, it's not that hard.

EDIT: Maybe I am thinking of a different one.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I didn't like the first 2 worlds that much. Some of the puzzles were hard only because the game didn't tell you about what its own game mechanics even were. I don't consider that to be a well thought out puzzle. Oh well, world 4 was great. hard but fair.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Ben Sones:

I asked this earlier, but to no response. You seem to be all up in the story, maybe you can explain it some more:

I read through the books outside the different worlds. Now, the first three make it sound like your ordinary kind of tale -- princess, he's looking for her and etc, just set in a strange fantastical world (that's what I assumed at first and never thought if things as "only in his head"). Nothing really that strange. It seems like you can read them in the normal order too, i.e. right to left?
Then, in the fourth (or fifth, I guess) it's getting a little more diffuse, same with the world after. Did anybody suspect what was gonna happen then? With the twist and all, him being some sort of stalker? Judging from the books I read I just thought it was some kind of sad tale about him looking for his princess and relationship difficulties and etc.
And then when you get to read the texts after the ending I don't really know what to make of it all. Some of it doesn't even seem to make sense.

By the way, just managed to finish the jumpman speed run! :D

Ben Sones

Sinatar said:
Are you kidding me? A
timed wall of fire platforming sequence.

ARE. YOU. KIDDING. ME?

Just play through it, and then see how you feel about it.

Sinatar

ICallItFutile said:
If you're at the puzzle piece I'm thinking of, it's not that hard.

I'm not, there is no puzzle piece. I've got all 60.

Just play through it, and then see how you feel about it.

Working on it, but I have to get through a tunnel filled with enemies that isn't high enough to jump in while a giant wall of fucking fire kills me over and over. Oh yea, having a riot.

INTERNET

SERIOUS BUSINESS
Sinatar said:

ARE. YOU. KIDDING. ME?

First of all spoiler that and second on the scale of punishing platforming sequences this rates about a two because of the rewind ability.

Ben Sones

ItsInMyVeins said:
Ben Sones:

I asked this earlier, but to no response. You seem to be all up in the story, maybe you can explain it some more:

I read through the books outside the different worlds. Now, the first three make it sound like your ordinary kind of tale -- princess, he's looking for her and etc, just set in a strange fantastical world (that's what I assumed at first and never thought if things as "only in his head"). Nothing really that strange. It seems like you can read them in the normal order too, i.e. right to left?
Then, in the fourth (or fifth, I guess) it's getting a little more diffuse, same with the world after. Did anybody suspect what was gonna happen then? With the twist and all, him being some sort of stalker? Judging from the books I read I just thought it was some kind of sad tale about him looking for his princess and relationship difficulties and etc.
And then when you get to read the texts after the ending I don't really know what to make of it all. Some of it doesn't even seem to make sense.

By the way, just managed to finish the jumpman speed run! :D

I've been thinking about it quite a bit, though I certainly wouldn't say that I have it all figured out. If you haven't finished the game yet, I'd avoid reading story impressions from folks who have, though. There's some really cool stuff that you'll spoil for yourself if you aren't careful, and some things about the story that will only make sense after you have finished all of the worlds.

MMaRsu

Hmm stuck in world 3..lvl is called irreversable. I got all the puzzle pieces except for one, at the start of that lvl.

Any hints?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Sinatar said:

ARE. YOU. KIDDING. ME?

:lol

I had so much trouble with that part.

MMaRsu said:
Hmm stuck in world 3..lvl is called irreversable. I got all the puzzle pieces except for one, at the start of that lvl.

Any hints?

The level is called irreversible...so try not to reverse. :p

itsinmyveins

Ben Sones said:
I've been thinking about it quite a bit, though I certainly wouldn't say that I have it all figured out. If you haven't finished the game yet, I'd avoid reading story impressions from folks who have, though. There's some really cool stuff that you'll spoil for yourself if you aren't careful, and some things about the story that will only make sense after you have finished all of the worlds.

Nah, I've finished it and all, I'm just trying to piece the stuff together now.

I'm just wondering wether I was the only one who thought it was an ordinary tale, albeit slighlty weird? The plot twist really surprised me.

MMaRsu said:

Any hints?

one platform slowing moving to left. Some special objects doesn't rewind.

Sinatar said:

ARE. YOU. KIDDING. ME?

It is worth collecting all the pieces and all that. And I agree that the later worlds are lame.

PjotrStroganov said:
When looking at that cloud, I'm thinking, have patience...

Haven't got the star yet though.
Not sure I understand that at all. I very patiently sat and watched it for a while. :lol

Ben Sones

ItsInMyVeins said:
Nah, I've finished it and all, I'm just trying to piece the stuff together now.

I'm just wondering wether I was the only one who thought it was an ordinary tale, albeit slighlty weird? The plot twist really surprised me.

Ah, gotcha.
To be honest, I'm not even convinced that there is just one "right" reading of the story. I think it might tell several different stories depending on the direction in which you read it (have you tried reading all of the entries backwards, starting from the right-most book in world 6 and finishing with the leftmost book in world 2?) and what you make of the books in world 1, which all present (seemingly) different premises. I'm not convinced that I've discovered everything in the Epilogue room, either. I figured out how to read the alternate text in the room with the raise-able time immunity platform, and also in the room just to the left of that, but what's the deal with that cloud up above the castle? There must be a reason why its there, and why the game lets you climb up to it.

The story is pretty intriguing, though, no matter how you approach it.

MMaRsu

MirageDwarf said:
one platform slowing moving to left. Some special objects doesn't rewind.

I see the platform moving left slowly, but I don't see anything else that can be manipulated to make that jump. I would figure you need to get the platform over the fire? But how do you open the barrier that blocks it?

PjotrStroganov said:
Did you see something move? Veeeeeery slowly.;)

Still figuring out what to do next.
Actually... no. I left it there for about 10 mins and rewound / ff through it too. Nothing seemed to happen other than the animation around it.

Psychotext said:
Actually... no. I left it there for about 10 mins and rewound / ff through it too. Nothing seemed to happen other than the animation around it.
re-enter the room through the door, and try that.

Psychotext said:

The cloud moves to the left and I already have it above the painting. I don't have a clue however how to get on it. There's a thread at gamefaqs were I got this clue from.

PjotrStroganov said:
The cloud moves to the left and I already have it above the painting. I don't have a clue however how to get on it. There's a thread at gamefaqs were I got this clue from.
Someone just PM'd me about this too. Sounds frustrating! :D

Cianalas

Jtyettis said:
Alright need some pro-tips for the last puzzle piece, 6-7.
Climb the ladder to the platform the key is on. Drop your time slowing ring as close to the ring on the platform as possible. Pick the ring back up and head over to the fireball ladder. Use the ring to slow the fire balls and climb the ladder. Stand on the ant-time aura and reverse time until your ring disappears from the base of the ladder and reappears near the key. Flip the switch and jump back down and wait by the fire pit. Your ring will make the platform move more slowly and will be tucked up against the key when they both fall. They will slowly fall together, giving you enough time to wait for them near the pit and catch them mid air as you jump across. When you get the key use the ring on the fireball ladder again to unlock the barrier and get the puzzle piece.

Guled

i need help on the last level
when your running with the princess and the fire is chasing you, i can't get past the part where you have to jump on the monster to hit the leaver. I do that, but I can't move on since there are always monsters in the small tunnel to move on, so I cant jump and I die

INTERNET

SERIOUS BUSINESS
Guled said:
i need help on the last level
when your running with the princess and the fire is chasing you, i can't get past the part where you have to jump on the monster to hit the leaver. I do that, but I can't move on since there are always monsters in the small tunnel to move on, so I cant jump and I die
I had the same problem, so I rewound and optimized my path a little, and the timing on that part seemed to sync up a lot better. A little bit of extra time goes a long way.

itsinmyveins

Man, the speed runs are kinda hard. I finally got through the jumpman-level, with like 0.8 seconds to spare -- and that's after several tries where I was like one second to slow.

Railer

domlolz said:
Do I buy this?
The demo was fun but 1200 points?
How long does it last typically?

Yes.
Yes.
Not sure, depends on how fast you solve the puzzles. But it's long enough imo, and totally worth the points. And after that you can do speed runs and find ze
stars.

domlolz said:
Do I buy this?
The demo was fun but 1200 points?
How long does it last typically?
Yes.
Yes.
Yes... wait. It depends how good you are. I'm currently working on the after endgame stuff so it's still going for me. :D

I give up on this speed run thing. I can't get under 54 seconds in Leap of Faith. I can't figure out where people shaved off a whole second.

itsinmyveins

Linkzg said:
I give up on this speed run thing. I can't get under 54 seconds in Leap of Faith. I can't figure out where people shaved off a whole second.

Hm, that's probably the easiest of the first three, I'd say. I mean, you just run through it and make sure you don't do any mistakes or stop at every little ledge during that ladder-part.

sweetfish

Gold Member
Did anyone notice this? (concerning the end)
In the epilogue, second "room", open the book at the bottom then walk left behind the pillars. There is some kind of hum?

Sorry if old. :)

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
OMG got it! Now someone solve the rest of 4 for me :\ I need the two pieces in each of the last three levels :(

LJ11

Y2Kev said:
I need major help in World 4. I cannot get the second piece in 4-3 "Just out of reach."

Remind me how it's set up, I did it late at night and it's not coming to me right now.

Edit: nm

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
I feel almost ashamed to say I'm stuck getting 2 pieces in World 3.

The one above the flaming spikes with the moving platform that gets stuck against the vertical platform, and the 2nd piece underground

Post Endgame:

lol... well I'm on the cloud now, and he's VERY slowly making his way across the level. I guess it's on the left hand side above the entrance.

cjelly said:
I feel almost ashamed to say I'm stuck getting 2 pieces in World 3.

The one above the flaming spikes with the moving platform that gets stuck against the vertical platform, and the 2nd piece underground

Where are you stuck in the underground, at the
three gates
?

Top Bottom