• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Braid (XBLA/PC/PSN/Mac) |OT|

Jasoco

Banned
Holy mother of mercy at the ending.
It hits a little too close to home. (Except I never went so far as to do any stalking.) The whole reversal of the last level revealing that it wasn't she who was guiding you, it was you who could not take a hint.

Now all I need to do (Besides a speed run) is
find the stars. But even though I know where two are (Thanks to spoilers in the thread) I can't get them to appear. Little help? I don't care if I am spoiled on these.

Question: If I start a new game, I assume it will overwrite the one I have completed?

Wizpig

braid-snesbox-400.jpg

Awesome :D

Jasoco said:
Now all I need to do (Besides a speed run) is
find the stars. But even though I know where two are (Thanks to spoilers in the thread) I can't get them to appear. Little help? I don't care if I am spoiled on these.

From what I've read, the only known stars so far are on stages 2-2, 4-5, 4-7, 6-5, 6-6

2-2 took over an hour to get
4-5 is in the top right corner
4-7 involves double bouncing off the goomba as he comes out of the cannon
6-5 is above you at the start, but you have to get to the top right corner first
6-6 starts with climbing up one of the ladders that drops down, then bouncing off of the rabbit-cat

I can post more details if you want, but that should give you a good start.

Why do the rabbits make cat noises?

Post Endgame:

On the hunt for stars and I noticed that there is a gap in the wall to the right hand side of the room containing the door to world two.

See here: http://i38.tinypic.com/24qjzvb.jpg

You can use the puzzle platform trick to get on it... but I can't seem to do anything when I'm up there. It's strange though, because it's the only room to have that gap. Misdirection? Maybe.

Beer_Baron said:
Because they're psychopaths... and they're awesome. :D

Jasoco said:
Holy mother of mercy at the ending.
It hits a little too close to home. (Except I never went so far as to do any stalking.) The whole reversal of the last level revealing that it wasn't she who was guiding you, it was you who could not take a hint.

That was amazing. To quote a really bad song, I think the game said it best when it said nothing at all.

Iksenpets

Banned
Cataferal said:
Well, thats not bad is it?

Going by leaderboard numbers, it's one of the better XBLA debuts of the year in terms of sales, and at $15 that's even more money, so I'd say that's pretty damn good.

FrankT

Beer_Baron said:
From what I've read, the only known stars so far are on stages 2-2, 4-5, 4-7, 6-5, 6-6

2-2 took over an hour to get
4-5 is in the top right corner
4-7 involves double bouncing off the goomba as he comes out of the cannon
6-5 is above you at the start, but you have to get to the top right corner first
6-6 starts with climbing up one of the ladders that drops down, then bouncing off of the rabbit-cat

I can post more details if you want, but that should give you a good start.

Just got 6-6, what exactly do you do for 4-5?

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Iksenpets said:
Going by leaderboard numbers, it's one of the better XBLA debuts of the year in terms of sales, and at $15 that's even more money, so I'd say that's pretty damn good.

Hopefully it will continue to do well. If any XBLA-game deserves it, it's Braid. Probably gonna be in my top 3 GOTY.

Gowans

I was just clicking around while I can't sleep and saw this on 1up

Jonathon Blow Responds to Braid Pricing Criticism

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3169222

Psychotext said:
Post Endgame:

On the hunt for stars and I noticed that there is a gap in the wall to the right hand side of the room containing the door to world two.

See here: http://i38.tinypic.com/24qjzvb.jpg

You can use the puzzle platform trick to get on it... but I can't seem to do anything when I'm up there. It's strange though, because it's the only room to have that gap. Misdirection? Maybe.

Because they're psychopaths... and they're awesome. :D

my hunt stars later but hmm very interesting
had a mess around with jumping and moving got ontop of the black wall space but that was about all too

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
I spent about 4 hours doing two puzzles but I finally finished it :lol The feeling you get when you finally figure a tough one out is immense. The last level was fantastic but I'm not sure about the ending yet. I think I should go back and read all the little books again.

FightyF

Banned
Cataferal said:
Well, thats not bad is it?

Not bad really. We have no idea how much MS's cut is, but the game should hopefully sell well for the next month. If it can hit 50K in 2 months, that would be great I would think.

Iksenpets

Banned
FightyF said:
Not bad really. We have no idea how much MS's cut is, but the game should hopefully sell well for the next month. If it can hit 50K in 2 months, that would be great I would think.

Assuming the game isn't enormously frontloaded with early sales and no legs, I think 50K will happen in under a month. No worries there.

Post Endgame:

So apparently there's one on "Crossing the Gap" but I can't find it... another in world three somewhere, but I can't find that either.

I also noticed that when you get to your castle in the epilogue there is one of those clouds there, but unlike the one in 2-2 it really doesn't do anything (unless it takes a few hours to move an inch). There's also a "time immune" platform on the screen to the left with a lever... but I don't know what it's for.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Psychotext said:
Post Endgame:

So apparently there's one on "Crossing the Gap" but I can't find it... another in world three somewhere, but I can't find that either.

I also noticed that when you get to your castle in the epilogue there is one of those clouds there, but unlike the one in 2-2 it really doesn't do anything (unless it takes a few hours to move an inch). There's also a "time immune" platform on the screen to the left with a lever... but I don't know what it's for.

You can use the platform to get past those two green books and then stand behind the rock to the left for one more screen of text. You pull the switch and rewind while standing next to the red book or something like that, IIRC.

BenjaminBirdie said:
I just saw his A+ review. Hot.

I love his last paragraph:

Like Portal, Braid's short length can be disregarded in the face of its unique approach to storytelling and expansive ideas; it needn't be played through multiple times, but those looking for cognitive stimulation must experience it at least once. Excellent but intellectually limited as a puzzle-platformer, Braid is made truly divine with emotional depth and a bittersweet humanity -- a monumentally relevant game that speaks highly of its creators and their potential audience's tolerance for new ideas. To say nothing of an absolutely brilliant, emotionally devastating "ending" that proves that time isn't really that malleable after all.

Arch

The last piece in world 6, I have no idea. Unless there's some way to get back up that ladder without using the bubble. Any hints?

Edit: Got it.

I was just thinking about this now, but I no longer hate how the main character looks anymore. I hated it before playing the game, I still didn't like it during the game, but
upon seeing that ending and realizing what kind of guy this Tim is, I think the creepiness to his look is actually great.

X26

Banned
lair on the world were you have shadow. I thought I knew what to do, but no matter wha tthe boss sitll has 1 life left

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
oh come on, nick suttner. blow designs like a genius and writes like a teenager. the enigmatic, ambiguous presentation of the story is interesting -- and i confess that i've yet to make much sense of it -- but the writing unmistakably belongs to the 'fragments beginning with the word she' genre so popular in high school literary magazines. granted that relationship angst, normally the least interesting subject in the world, is novel, refreshing material for a videogame -- but loving braid for its story is perverse. at best. it betrays an inadequate appreciation for its shit hot puzzle design

Just finished it. That was cool.

Came in here thinking I wouldn't get spoiled, and the first thing I read is about the
stars

I would be curious to know if there is an extra
book in each epilogue screen. Because I think I couldn't find another one in maybe the third screen and the final one. Although I doubt the final has a hidden one, there were no red ones to begin with.

Just got to World 6. I've been finding all the pieces before progressing to the next world. 5 was tough. 6 looks harder. I love the Braidsaur.

X26 said:
lair on the world were you have shadow. I thought I knew what to do, but no matter wha tthe boss sitll has 1 life left

If you're fighting the boss in the level where your
shadow repeats your movements when you rewind time....

You sure you don't want to figure this out?

Really? The game isn't to long, take the time to enjoy it.

Alright, whatever you want. Drop the chandeliers on him. When you hit him, rewind until the chandelier REATTACHES to the ceiling. Your shadow will then drop the shadow chandelier on him, but the real thing will be fine, and ready to be used again.

Found the star on 5-4

You have to bounce the goomba onto the platform that is directly underneath the first puzzle piece. It turns into a 5 or 6 hit juggle combo.

MercuryLS

Banned
Someone explain the
epilogue to me, also what the hell are you guys talking about with these "puzzle pieces"? What do they do?

Wurm

Banned
I have 6 stars now and have reached a complete dead end. Hopefully when I wake up, some genius will have worked it all out XD

FrankT

Beer_Baron said:
Found the star on 5-4

You have to bounce the goomba onto the platform that is directly underneath the first puzzle piece. It turns into a 5 or 6 hit juggle combo.

What exactly do you do for 2-2?

As much as I disappointed myself getting hints for World 3 stuff I just ripped through a whole bunch of World 4 shit all on my own.

GO ME.

I loved the one with the three Mario Plants. When I figured that out I literally stood up and was like "I GOT YOU, PUZZLE. I FUCKING GOT YOU."

That's the level I stopped at and I only skipped that one between the two locked doors. Haven't figured that one out yet.

Butane123

Ugh, only 6 more pieces to go. 5 on world 5 and 1 on world 6.

I'm having a hard time on "Impassable Follage" with the 2nd piece.
I take it you need two of the goomba guys to make it up to the platform with the piece. I know thats it, but I just can't get the timing down on the 2nd one.

Sweet, I just cleaned up the pieces I had left on worlds 3-5... it really helped to come back to it with a fresh perspective. Such a great feeling when you figure out a puzzle that initially seemed completely impossible.

Cianalas

Jtyettis said:
What exactly do you do for 2-2?
I'm in the process of doing it now. I haven't gotten the star yet but the last cloud at the end of the stage, the one up high that seems to being sitting still, is actually moving a few pixels per second to the left. Basically I think you have to wait for it to get to the first platform in the stage and jump on it from the lock barricade (you'll need to have reentered the stage from the end to get this back up) and ride it to the little top ledge at the beginning of the stage. The thing is the cloud moves really slow so think of something else to do while you wait. This is assuming I'm right.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
rohlfinator said:
Sweet, I just cleaned up the pieces I had left on worlds 3-5... it really helped to come back to it with a fresh perspective. Such a great feeling when you figure out a puzzle that initially seemed completely impossible.

Yeah, I remember the Hunt on World 4 felt the way to me.

It's interesting what puzzles every person has trouble with. I found World 4 much harder then World 5.

Post game
stars

Anyone else think that the fact that there's a cloud at the end of the epilogue just hanging around like 2-2 and the fact that there's a green platform to avoid time rewind would lead to another star?

Cianalas

ICallItFutile said:
Yeah, I remember the Hunt on World 4 felt the way to me.

It's interesting what puzzles every person has trouble with. I found World 4 much harder then World 5.
Same for me. World 4 was the most frustrating of the world too, except for the
goomba/plant
puzzle in Impassable Foliage.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
drohne said:
oh come on, nick suttner. blow designs like a genius and writes like a teenager. the enigmatic, ambiguous presentation of the story is interesting -- and i confess that i've yet to make much sense of it -- but the writing unmistakably belongs to the 'fragments beginning with the word she' genre so popular in high school literary magazines. granted that relationship angst, normally the least interesting subject in the world, is novel, refreshing material for a videogame -- but loving braid for its story is perverse. at best. it betrays an inadequate appreciation for its shit hot puzzle design

Word to this.

FrankT

Cianalas said:
I'm in the process of doing it now. I haven't gotten the star yet but the last cloud at the end of the stage, the one up high that seems to being sitting still, is actually moving a few pixels per second to the left. Basically I think you have to wait for it to get to the first platform in the stage and jump on it from the lock barricade (you'll need to have reentered the stage from the end to get this back up) and ride it to the little top ledge at the beginning of the stage. The thing is the cloud moves really slow so think of something else to do while you wait. This is assuming I'm right.

Thanks, oh yea what is everyone getting on game-play time? With a full run and hunting down stars I'm probably somewhere between 10 and 15 hours at this point. So any regards to short length issues I'm not seeing em. Again, well, well worth it.

Top Bottom