• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Braid (XBLA/PC/PSN/Mac) |OT|

Psychotext said:
Post Endgame:

On the hunt for stars and I noticed that there is a gap in the wall to the right hand side of the room containing the door to world two.

See here: http://i38.tinypic.com/24qjzvb.jpg

You can use the puzzle platform trick to get on it... but I can't seem to do anything when I'm up there. It's strange though, because it's the only room to have that gap. Misdirection? Maybe.
there's a star there, I just got it but had to start a new game to do so. . .

Guess I'll be doing the entire game, including stars, again.

FrankT

GunFingers said:
there's a star there, I just got it but had to start a new game to do so. . .

Guess I'll be doing the entire game, including stars, again.

Ah jeez, so you lose all your previous stars you found if you start over?

Jtyettis said:
Ah jeez, so you lose all your previous stars you found if you start over?

I'm not certain you have to start over but I didn't see any other way to...

big spoiler for this one follows...

. . .disassemble an already assembled puzzle. Maybe if you save this as the last star something will change? It was only my third star.

Jonnyram

GunFingers said:
I'm not certain you have to start over but I didn't see any other way to...

big spoiler for this one follows...

. . .disassemble an already assembled puzzle. Maybe if you save this as the last star something will change? It was only my third star.
You can move the puzzle even after it's been completed though.

Jonnyram said:
You can move the puzzle even after it's been completed though.

Again, huge spoiler, essentially a solution. . .

but you need to take two mismatched pieces from a world puzzle and align them in a certain spot. Once the puzzle is completed, I didn't see a way to pull out two pieces and move them around, just rotate the entire board. So I just started a new game, and sure enough, you lose everything. Puzzle pieces, stars, everything except the things you learned from the previous play throughs :) !

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Is it playing the Ecco the Dolphin music?

Like the sands of time element, only played the demo so far...have to wait till tomorrow for my space bucks.

Jonnyram

GunFingers said:
Again, huge spoiler, essentially a solution. . .

but you need to take two mismatched pieces from a world puzzle and align them in a certain spot. Once the puzzle is completed, I didn't see a way to pull out two pieces and move them around, just rotate the entire board. So I just started a new game, and sure enough, you lose everything. Puzzle pieces, stars, everything except the things you learned from the previous play throughs :) !
You mean that's the only way to make the star appear? Because I got up there without disassembling the puzzle, by jumping and moving the puzzle while jumping. No star though :(

soco

ok i just finished and i had some questions...

what's up with the singing lady at certain locations in the epilogue? also what's up with the cloud and the platform&switch? is there anything to do here other than progress through it and read the books? can you somehow rewind and read the the green ones? it seems like something is missing?

and also

can someone give me a hint about the stars? can you get them before you've finished? is there something special you have to do to get each one? i'd rather not have spoilers and try to find them on my own but i don't know where to start.

Jonnyram said:
You mean that's the only way to make the star appear? Because I got up there without disassembling the puzzle, by jumping and moving the puzzle while jumping. No star though :(

I'll keep reiterating. . .I'm essentially ruining a simple but surprising puzzle for anyone who reads this spoiler. . .

getting up there is the simple part. once up there, look around. the star is visible, it's just in three different pieces for you to put back together. Once the pieces are aligned, the star will appear :)

soco said:
ok i just finished and i had some questions...

what's up with the singing lady at certain locations in the epilogue? also what's up with the cloud and the platform&switch? is there anything to do here other than progress through it and read the books? can you somehow rewind and read the the green ones? it seems like something is missing?

and also

can someone give me a hint about the stars? can you get them before you've finished? is there something special you have to do to get each one? i'd rather not have spoilers and try to find them on my own but i don't know where to start.

have a red book open then get the lady singing. more story to confuse and astound! Note that there is a way to do this for all of the red books. This is the answer to the question about the platform and switch, as well. the cloud and green books are still unknowns as far I have seen.

stars are present from the start, they are just very difficult to find and then to get to. the easiest I know of is very simple (a ladder climb and a few straight jumps), but takes a loooong time.

FightyF

Banned
Heh, there should be a story discussion thread because I can foresee the next 3 pages being all black spoiler boxes, heheh.

Could it be that the green books and the stars are related, ie. when getting a star a green one turns red or something, or has some info?

Personally I htink they were there to close the red books, to slightly increase the challenge in reading them with their secret messages.

FightyF said:
Heh, there should be a story discussion thread because I can foresee the next 3 pages being all black spoiler boxes, heheh.

No shit. This whole thread looks like a redacted CIA document about unlawful enemy combatants.

Eric WK

FightyF said:

Yeah, could this be the most oft spoiler-tagged thread on GAF? At the very least, I've never seen one like it.

Brashnir

MikeE21286 said:
am I broken inside? I played most of the demo and I guess I just don't get it....

One of the things about games designed in such a personal way is that a lot of people probably won't get them. They either hit your sweet spot or they don't. In the blockbuster-driven game world most of us are accustomed to, games are designed by committee for the masses, but these small art-house games don't have to account for everyone.

You should never feel bad for not getting a personal work. Just hope that people are able to continue making them and that some of those will be more to your liking. The world is full of pretentious pricks who pretend to like things that they think makes them seem more sophisticated. Don't be one of those guys.

GhaleonEB

GhaleonEB

Edit: I give up. For the love of god can someone tell me how to get the first piece in Fickle Companion. (4-7) I got the bottom one, to the farthest right.

Here's what I'm doing.

I use the platform to catch the goomba as he launches from the cannon. I move to the left to carry him over to the platform, where he meets the key. I then let him carry the key to the left of the ladder leading to the level with the piece. But every time I jump on him to take the key back, it teleports down to the floor rather than stay still. It's a complete violation of the rules of this level - the key not reversing but jumping to the bottom. And I have no idea how to change it, I've tried a good 30 times now.

Edit: nevermind. 34th time was the charm. :lol

GhaleonEB said:
Edit: I give up. For the love of god can someone tell me how to get the first piece in Fickle Companion. (4-7) I got the bottom one, to the farthest right.

Here's what I'm doing.

I use the platform to catch the goomba as he launches from the cannon. I move to the left to carry him over to the platform, where he meets the key. I then let him carry the key to the left of the ladder leading to the level with the piece. But every time I jump on him to take the key back, it teleports down to the floor rather than stay still. It's a complete violation of the rules of this level - the key not reversing but jumping to the bottom. And I have no idea how to change it, I've tried a good 30 times now.

you're doing it right, you just have to make sure that when you land on the goomba (or more importantly, when you make the slightest contact with the key), you're facing to the right. If you touch that key while facing left, it'll oddly teleport. I think it's actually kind of buggy here, to be honest. A little luck is required.

Edit - just saw your edit. Did a little luck kick in or did you change something?

Yeah I'm guessing that REV guy was the first to finish. His name will stay on top of the leaderboards much longer than George Castanza's 1st place.

Jackson

im stuck on the Braid level...

there's a part where i have to
jump on the goombas head to flip a switch then fall down into a tunnel the problem is a i have a goomba walking toward me if I flip the switch... if I dont flip the switch she doesnt move forward and the firewall will kill me...

what am I doing wrong?! :(

Ben Sones

GunFingers said:
you're doing it right, you just have to make sure that when you land on the goomba (or more importantly, when you make the slightest contact with the key), you're facing to the right. If you touch that key while facing left, it'll oddly teleport. I think it's actually kind of buggy here, to be honest. A little luck is required.

Fickle Companion: It's not
buggy, it's behaving according to the established rules. The key goes back in time when you move to the left, like all other normal (i.e. non-green-glowy) objects. As you move left, it travels backwards in time, following the path that over which you originally carried it.

That's why it "teleports" down ladders, even though you carried it up. Because when you are going up a ladder, you aren't moving to the left or right, and time is standing still. From the key's perspective, you carry it up the ladder instantly, because no time passes. when you roll time backwards, the key replays events (in reverse) in the exact manner in which they happened... from its perspective. Thus, it seems to jump down ladders.

With the goomba, you have a similar issue. The goomba exists independently of time, and so it can lug the key anywhere, right or left. But once the goomba drops the key, it's not shielding it any more. If you roll back time even a fraction of a second for the key, it will "jump" to wherever it was a fraction of a second earlier--from its perspective--which is very likely nowhere near where it is now.

They trick, of course, is to make sure that you only go right after picking up the key again.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
drohne said:
oh come on, nick suttner. blow designs like a genius and writes like a teenager. the enigmatic, ambiguous presentation of the story is interesting -- and i confess that i've yet to make much sense of it -- but the writing unmistakably belongs to the 'fragments beginning with the word she' genre so popular in high school literary magazines. granted that relationship angst, normally the least interesting subject in the world, is novel, refreshing material for a videogame -- but loving braid for its story is perverse. at best. it betrays an inadequate appreciation for its shit hot puzzle design

she types haltingly, in lower case, like a penguin tripping on the dapper spats of its own pretentiousness

Jasoco

Banned
I'm going for my first
star.

The one in 2-2 of course. Get it out of the way. It is taking forever for that damn cloud to move across the level. I am riding it now and down to the last few feet before I can leap for the ledge. I keep having to nudge the controller to make it not pause the game.
:lol

Fuck. I am stuck.

I am at Level 6-3.

It's the second puzzle piece. The one where you have to use the ring to slow down time so you can jump from the last second of remaining cloud to the new cloud coming at you. Then you jump to the cannon. The only problem is that no matter what I am always short of the cloud. I got so frustrated I looked up a YouTube video and it has the SAME EXACT TECHNIQUE! What am I doing wrong AND is their an easier way?

Butane123

Just got done with it. Oddly enough, the last few pieces that were giving me such a hard time the last time I played didn't take me that long to get. Only about 10 minutes. The ending was awesome as well!

snack said:
Fuck. I am stuck.

I am at Level 6-3.

It's the second puzzle piece. The one where you have to use the ring to slow down time so you can jump from the last second of remaining cloud to the new cloud coming at you. Then you jump to the cannon. The only problem is that no matter what I am always short of the cloud. I got so frustrated I looked up a YouTube video and it has the SAME EXACT TECHNIQUE! What am I doing wrong AND is their an easier way?

I think I just put the ring on the cloud and fiddled with time for a bit until the clouds lined up right.

I just finished it a bit ago; don't think I've felt like this after a game since the andrew ryan cutscene. Brilliant, truly brilliant,
though the epilogue did completely throw me off.

Jackson

ARGH!!! what is with the timing on the very last level !!! 7-4?

AAAAAAAAAHH the stupid tunnel with the goomba i cant get past him :(

Jackson said:
ARGH!!! what is with the timing on the very last level !!! 7-4?

AAAAAAAAAHH the stupid tunnel with the goomba i cant get past him :(

Heh, I got stuck on that same segment for a bit. If you can jump past the first goomba after you press the switch (the one you jump on to get onto the platform, if I'm not mistaken), then you should be fine.

Phatapata

Neo Member
snack said:
Fuck. I am stuck.

I am at Level 6-3.

Here's the technique I used.
Put the ring on the platform UP TOP -- precisely where the flower is. Now, when you jump from the right edge of the first cloud, Tim's jump will be slowed down in mid-air -- allowing sufficient time for the second cloud to line up under his feet.
Voila!

Jasoco

Banned
I just replayed the last level. Man it's so well done.
First you see it from your distorted point of view. Running to her aid as she helps him overcome all the obstacles in his path finally making it to her house he climbs the terrace up to her door. Finally, they will be together when POOF! Reality sets in. You rewind the recent events and you realize she wasn't helping him. She was trying to get him to leave her alone. Throwing things at you and removing things that could help you get to her. You realize he just can't take a hint.

Sooo good. In a creepy stand-outside-your-window-watching-you-sleep-I-Will-Possess-Your-Heart-Every-Breath-You-Take sort of way.

But while I was there I noticed something...

DO NOT CLICK THIS BEAUTIFUL IMAGE IF YOU HAVEN'T FINISHED!
http://www.jasoco.net/files/Braid Ending (SPOILER!!!).jpg

First:
Note the star hanging above her bed and more interestingly the cats and bunnies on her curtain. Then the best part, her stuffed animals by the side of the bed. A dinosaur and a "Noomba". These things become characters in his twisted world. In his demented memory. Obstacles in his quest to save his "princess".

To him she will always be his princess even though he will never have her and eventually she will probably take out a restraining order.

Second:
Did anyone notice the guy standing either inside her house or outside her other window? I took a closeup of his shadow in the above image.

Third: Is it just me or is this game so fucking beautiful it makes you wish all games looked like paintings? If it weren't so
creepy, I would want this image as a painting on my wall.
It's so beautifully painted.

Jasoco said:
I just replayed the last level. Man it's so well done.
First you see it from your distorted point of view. Running to her aid as she helps him overcome all the obstacles in his path finally making it to her house he climbs the terrace up to her door. Finally, they will be together when POOF! Reality sets in. You rewind the recent events and you realize she wasn't helping him. She was trying to get him to leave her alone. Throwing things at you and removing things that could help you get to her. You realize he just can't take a hint.

Sooo good. In a creepy stand-outside-your-window-watching-you-sleep-I-Will-Possess-Your-Heart-Every-Breath-You-Take sort of way.

But while I was there I noticed something...

DO NOT CLICK THIS BEAUTIFUL IMAGE IF YOU HAVEN'T FINISHED!
http://www.jasoco.net/files/Braid Ending (SPOILER!!!).jpg

First:
Note the star hanging above her bed and more interestingly the cats and bunnies on her curtain. Then the best part, her stuffed animals by the side of the bed. A dinosaur and a "Noomba". These things become characters in his twisted world. In his demented memory. Obstacles in his quest to save his "princess".

To him she will always be his princess even though he will never have her and eventually she will probably take out a restraining order.

Second:
Did anyone notice the guy standing either inside her house or outside her other window? I took a closeup of his shadow in the above image.

Third: Is it just me or is this game so fucking beautiful it makes you wish all games looked like paintings? If it weren't so
creepy, I would want this image as a painting on my wall.
It's so beautifully painted.

Holy shit, that's all I need to say.

GhaleonEB

GunFingers said:

Edit - just saw your edit. Did a little luck kick in or did you change something?
Luck. Hopefully that's the last level where it's such a factor.

Tiktaalik

The demo kinda underwhelmed me but I bought it anyway. I played it a ton last night and really enjoyed it. I actually think the foreground sprites are pretty ugly, but the background environments, and music are insanely nice. The puzzles are cool, and frequently satisfyingly tricky (I've already skipped a few and will go back later) but they don't really strike me as being too wildly amazing or innovative (at least yet... I'm on world 5). My mind has not been blown so far (in comparison to Portal for example). Nonetheless, I am finding the experience overall very enjoyable. The story and setting and feeling so far is fantastic and really makes it special.

I was making my way through the game without looking up any solutions, but now World 5 has me officially stumped.
331gd5g.jpg

How do I get the key to the door, hit the switch, and make it back without the fireballs killing me?

soco

a Master Ninja said:
I was making my way through the game without looking up any solutions, but now World 5 has me officially stumped.
http://i38.tinypic.com/331gd5g.jpg[IMG]
How do I get the key to the door, hit the switch, and make it back without the fireballs killing me?[/QUOTE]

[spoiler]you have to drop the ring on top of the cannon... [/spoiler]

if you need more...
[spoiler]to do that, you need to jump on a noomba's head to get there, which can be done on the right side. [/spoiler]

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Just finished it. I'm proud to say I was able to solve all the puzzles without any help. :D

The ending was...wow. Now I'm going to read all the spoiler talk.

thewesker said:
Okay, I'm done trying to bend this one around my mind.

The Hunt in World 4... HOW THE HELL

I can't explain how I did that one, but
double jumping on the same enemy is your friend. That's how I remember beating it. I think I started with the enemy to the left on the second level.

thewesker said:
Okay, I'm done trying to bend this one around my mind.

The Hunt in World 4... HOW THE HELL

Think of it like this:
The past is to the left, the future is to the right. If you go from the future to the past, then the future events will be undone. If you go from the past to the future, then you are writing those future events. Also, only worry about killing the enemies. The door will open once all 6 are dead and you don't have to worry about time nonsense.

Top Bottom