• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Braid (XBLA/PC/PSN/Mac) |OT|

soco

so some more questions about the end game and post-endgame...

has anyone gotten all the stars and tried beating the game? are there multiple endings? is there anything that can be done to affect it?

there's one room in the epilogue, the one with the 3 books right before the switch room with a big sculpture. is it possible to see an alternate story in that room? i tried jumping over the green books and could never do it. i got the one in the lift room, but not this one.

Linkzg said:
Think of it like this:
The past is to the left, the future is to the right. If you go from the future to the past, then the future events will be undone. If you go from the past to the future, then you are writing those future events. Also, only worry about killing the enemies. The door will open once all 6 are dead and you don't have to worry about time nonsense.

Got it now thanks. Just didn't realize
you should go for the one on the very top first, not last.

Jasoco

Banned
Braid Game.com seems to imply that the Bunny Cats have a name...

mimic-threaten.png

"Mimic"

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
drohne said:
oh come on, nick suttner. blow designs like a genius and writes like a teenager. the enigmatic, ambiguous presentation of the story is interesting -- and i confess that i've yet to make much sense of it -- but the writing unmistakably belongs to the 'fragments beginning with the word she' genre so popular in high school literary magazines. granted that relationship angst, normally the least interesting subject in the world, is novel, refreshing material for a videogame -- but loving braid for its story is perverse. at best. it betrays an inadequate appreciation for its shit hot puzzle design

I don't know man. You're being awfully hard on a videogame. I mean, what's the standard for video game writing? It hardly is spectacular, is it (yeah, yeah, still no excuse, I know)? Sure, it's hardly something fantastic altough it is interesting, simply because the story pieces are also working like puzzles.

sp0rsk said:
Word to this.

You're just annoyed because you didn't read any of the story and were all like "what the fuck?" during the ending, man.

OuterWorldVoice said:
she types haltingly, in lower case, like a penguin tripping on the dapper spats of its own pretentiousness

:lol

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
ItsInMyVeins said:
I don't know man. You're being awfully hard on a videogame. I mean, what's the standard for video game writing? It hardly is spectacular, is it (yeah, yeah, still no excuse, I know)? Sure, it's hardly something fantastic altough it is interesting, simply because the story pieces are also working like puzzles.

You're just annoyed because you didn't read any of the story and were all like "what the fuck?" during the ending, man.

:lol

There's a reason why I didn't read it.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
sp0rsk said:
There's a reason why I didn't read it.

It wasn't really that much text and personally, I thought it worked fine. Maybe it'd be easier if there was some voice over, telling the story. But then you can't look at the story like you can now -- reading it backwards and etc.

I don't know. Maybe it'd even work if they'd cut out like 70% of the story too, just giving you hints about what's going on.

GunFingers said:
there's a star there, I just got it but had to start a new game to do so. . .

Guess I'll be doing the entire game, including stars, again.
Ugh... I really, really hope that's not the case. I don't want to ever do some of those stars again. =/

ItsInMyVeins said:
I don't know man. You're being awfully hard on a videogame. I mean, what's the standard for video game writing? It hardly is spectacular, is it (yeah, yeah, still no excuse, I know)?
The standard for video game writing is worse than our bad movies and our worst novels. But the writing in this is not particularly good, just better than that standard.

soco

Psychotext said:
GRRRR

Post Endgame:

Yes, you have to restart... FFS. :(

that's kinda silly, why do you have to restart?
i tried jumping up there but nothing was there? when do you have to do it by? anyone know?

edit, wait i tried on my other gamertag and i still didn't get one.
when is it available and do you just have to get up there?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Well, the elephant in the room is that Braid for $15 is fine, but $15 being the new $10 is not so great, especially with all these fantastic XBLA releases coming out one after the other.

And speaking of ironic shirts:

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Anyone have a complete checklist of star locations yet? I'm more than willing to puzzle them all out for myself. I just don't want to have to comb every level high and low to FIND them all. So... can anyone give me a listing of which levels have stars?

Nikorasu

I want this game. :(

Has there been any word on how the PC version is being distributed? I wouldn't mind a Steam release. Valve and indie games are really the only titles I trust buying over steam. I won't buy anything from Ubisoft or Activision or the like because it would be way too easy for them to lock me out of my games should I move to another country (which will happen soon). In fact I think Ubisoft already does this.

sweetfish

Gold Member
Don't think this has been posted, ending discussion:
The "boss" in lair wears an armor, that I think resembles the knight's in the ending, right? I love the details!
:D

Post Ending:

So... we know where 7 out of the 8 stars are. But to the best of my knowledge no-one has found the 8th yet. Come on star hunters!

Wurm

Banned
Just woke up to the "solution" to the Star I was having trouble with, the one you have to reset for.

Pretty disappointed with that to be honest, as thats remarkably poor game design. Now when I eventually get all the stars and nothing significant happens Blow had better be watching outside HIS ocean-view window at night..

Also I am naming the Princess.: Princess Timpossible, just because I can! I am also glad I have got at least one person referring to them as Noombas as well B)

21955 on leaderboards in about 50 hours. Good going.

I don't mind at all but introductory description of each world mechanics would be helpful to many people.

What is this star thing people are talking about? Are there any secret items to collect besides 60 puzzle pieces?

Wurm said:
Pretty disappointed with that to be honest, as thats remarkably poor game design.
Yeah. If I have to do it a third time I'm going to go and have a little word with Mr Blow.

sweetfish said:
Post ending help, replaying the game:
What am I doing wrong here? Am I not seeing the rest of the star? http://md5.se/p/braidhalp2.jpg
You have a gap... once that's filled it should work. I had it right up in the top left corner.

rhino4evr

so after about an hour, i still can't figure out three of the puzzles in act 5. I don't want to cheat but im considering.

started six to ease my mind, so far i haven't had any problems.

is 5 the hardest chapter?

dejay

Banned
rhino4evr said:
so after about an hour, i still can't figure out three of the puzzles in act 5. I don't want to cheat but im considering.

Take a break and when you come back to it you'll probably figure it out straight away.

Majora

Someone on rllmukforum has all eight stars. The eighth is
above the bed of the princess. You need the other seven to activate it. It sounds like he had a hard time working out how to get it, he hasn't said how yet

SapientWolf said:
Well, the elephant in the room is that Braid for $15 is fine, but $15 being the new $10 is not so great, especially with all these fantastic XBLA releases coming out one after the other.

And speaking of ironic shirts:

You couldn't have linked that instead of posting the whole image?

I mean, it's not explicit but it certainly tells me where the game is headed.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
dejay said:
Take a break and when you come back to it you'll probably figure it out straight away.

I found that whenever I asked for help on a certain puzzle, I would turn around and figure it out myself in game almost immediately after, lol.

Sectus

ItsInMyVeins said:
It wasn't really that much text and personally, I thought it worked fine. Maybe it'd be easier if there was some voice over, telling the story. But then you can't look at the story like you can now -- reading it backwards and etc.

I don't know. Maybe it'd even work if they'd cut out like 70% of the story too, just giving you hints about what's going on.
Yes, I think that would have greatly improved the story and presentation.
I think the story would have been much better if they removed all the text which is way too ambigious or makes no sense (like the entire epilogue), and just gave very subtle hints about Tim's condition. Or gone the fantasy route and had this as a bizarre parody of Super Mario Bros where the player is a confused Mario/Bowser.

rhino4evr

rhino4evr said:

yeah Im not going to cheat just yet, i think ill go through chapter 6 first and comeback. in case you are wondering the three puzzles are:

-The stage where a puzzle piece is on a ledge above the back door. I can get the goomba to walk over there, but no matter what I can't get on top of the platform. The only way I see this as possible is somewhow getting two goombas fro a double jump, but the cannon only shoots one at a time. I thought maybe the shadow would make a duplicate monster, but that's not the case.

-The stage with the evil bunny guarding the key in that narrow passage. I had no problem getting the puzzle piece in the middle of the stage, or getting the key away from the bunny, but I have no idea how to get the key back up to the top of the platform to make it to the lock. There are two goombas on this level, but I can't figure out their purpose.

- Fianlly, the most mind numbing one of all. The stage with two switches that raise the thwo platforms. I cna figure out to get the second platform lifted, just can't figure out how to get my shadow to pull the swiitch for me.

Did any of these give you guys trouble? They are all in world 5.

After an hour I gave up and started world 6. Was able to get most of the pieces with out too many problems. then went to bed.

Sean

Banned
rhino4evr said:
-The stage with the evil bunny guarding the key in that narrow passage. I had no problem getting the puzzle piece in the middle of the stage, or getting the key away from the bunny, but I have no idea how to get the key back up to the top of the platform to make it to the lock. There are two goombas on this level, but I can't figure out their purpose.

I was stuck on that too for a bit, the solution ended up being pretty simple. (Don't highlight if you don't want the answer!)
All you have to do is jump across that big gap as far as you can - you won't make it and you'll die. Then simply rewind (to make your shadow perform the same exact action) and stand by the very edge on the other side (left) of the gap, and he will "pass off" the key to you just before he dies. Then just climb the ladder to unlock the door and get the puzzle piece.

Railer

rhino4evr said:
-The stage where a puzzle piece is on a ledge above the back door. I can get the goomba to walk over there, but no matter what I can't get on top of the platform. The only way I see this as possible is somewhow getting two goombas fro a double jump, but the cannon only shoots one at a time. I thought maybe the shadow would make a duplicate monster, but that's not the case.

Yes. But like you said,
there is only one and that is enough. Think about how jumping on a enemy gives you extra height, and then think about the worlds special theme.
(just a tiny hint, not the solution)

rhino4evr

Railer said:
Yes. But like you said,
there is only one and that is enough. Think about how jumping on a enemy gives you extra height, and then think about the worlds special theme.

LOL, that just confused me more... are you still talking about the key one? There are two goombas on that stage.

Top Bottom