• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Braid (XBLA/PC/PSN/Mac) |OT|

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Intersted in getting this game, but can someone tell me if the puzzles are HARDER than Zack and Wiki? Along the same lines or easier? 15 bones for a 6 hour game seems much to me right now.. So I need justification to give Microsoft any more money..

Sushen

I tried the demo, and found it amusing how much they "borrowed" ideas from previous Nintendo games. Not only usual Super Mario Bros stuffs down to Gumbas in the first levels, but even Donkey Kong 64/Mario Vs Donkey Kong door & key puzzles. And then fused them with Prince of Persia time rewinder... I'm not accusing them of anything; just found it funny.

Jme

Finally got a chance to buy this last night - only had time to play through the first level... I got all the puzzle pieces except those 2 on the air bridge (?) stage. Right at the end -- I can't find a way to reach them... I'm sure as time progresses I'll figure it out.

Initiall impression? Gorgeous artwork, fitting music, great gimmick, tight controls, 10/10 game. It's unique, it's thought provoking, it gives a sense of accomplishment when a puzzle finally "clicks" (this first happened for me on the stage where you have to hunt down all of the 'goombas'). So far I love it and I cant wait to play more - that'll be this weekend! :D

Zabka

Sushen said:
I tried the demo, and found it amusing how much they "borrowed" ideas from previous Nintendo games. Not only usual Super Mario Bros stuffs down to Gumbas in the first levels, but even Donkey Kong 64/Mario Vs Donkey Kong door & key puzzles. And then fused them with Prince of Persia time rewinder... I'm not accusing them of anything; just found it funny.
It goes way beyond all of those, that's just the beginning.

zam

Sushen said:
The time-mechanics, which is so much more than just rewinding, and the puzzles make this game more than just a Super Mario-clone. Sure the similarities are there. There is even a Donkey Kong-level. But it is more of a homage, and "the princess is in another castle" really helps the metaphor of the princess.

Also where in Super Mario the objective is to just get from the start of the level to the other, this game is about solving the puzzles and getting the puzzle pieces along the way, which makes the game feel a lot different than a simple platformer.

The demo doesn't do a good job of showing off the other time-altering mechanics. In the demo it does feel like a super mario clone with watercolors and a rewind button, but this game is much much more than that.

rhino4evr

Dorfdad said:
Intersted in getting this game, but can someone tell me if the puzzles are HARDER than Zack and Wiki? Along the same lines or easier? 15 bones for a 6 hour game seems much to me right now.. So I need justification to give Microsoft any more money..

I would say they are harder. I got through most of Zack and Wiki with few problems. but it's really hard to say. Its definitely a shorter experience. but its also half the cost.

I believe Zak and Wiki was about 12 hours, and $40. This is 5-6 hours and $15

rhino4evr

Sushen said:

the mario stuff is more of a homage then a rip-off. Thats kind of the point of the game, they are taking familiar elements of 2d platformers and turning them upside down.

soco

Psychotext said:
I'm actually concerned about that. lol

so was it only for that one
star
that you had to restart? is there anything else that can't properly be undone that i should keep in mind? also is there
a list of the general locations of stars somewhere?

soco said:
so was it only for that one
star
that you had to restart? is there anything else that can't properly be undone that i should keep in mind? also is there
a list of the general locations of stars somewhere?
Yeah, just the one.

GameFAQs forum has a decent list without spoilers

Dorfdad said:
is this exclusive to 360 as I heard it will be coming to PSN as well. Any truth to that?

Exclusive to the Xbox 360 (ignoring PC) for the time being. I imagine any chance of it moving to the PSN depends on two things: Sales and what involvement Microsoft have.

FrankT

Dorfdad said:
is this exclusive to 360 as I heard it will be coming to PSN as well. Any truth to that?

Will we see Braid on any other platforms?

There will be a PC version by the end of the year. As for other platforms, I really don’t know. I was thinking of doing a handheld version maybe for the PSP, but publishers generally aren’t interested in that, and it would be a hard port to do anyway.

http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/687988/Exclusive_Interview_Jonathan_Blow_Braid_Creator.html

HolyStar

Banned
Dorfdad said:

Well, it isn't exclusive since you can get it on the PC, but for PSN, I don't think it is coming for that.

BeeDog

Dorfdad said:

The game is time exclusive to 360 for now, and there's a SLIM possibility the game will appear on PSN. But for that, the game needs to generate a bit of a money, and THEN he might pay someone to do a port to the PS3. He said the game uses a lot of physics calculations that are hard to just convert to the PS3 CPU.

INTERNET

SERIOUS BUSINESS
Psychotext said:
Yeah, just the one.

GameFAQs forum has a decent list without spoilers

Went looking and accidentally found some spoilers :(. I also found this link which may be what you are referencing - I don't know as I just wanted
a list of levels containing stars
and didn't scroll down. (if anyone else just wants that they are
2-2 3-x 4-5 4-7 5-4 6-5 6-6 1-1
)

Any ideas on how replayable this game is?

When I read "puzzle game" I think of games that will only be worthwhile on the first playthrough, and that once you "get" the puzzles they won't be fun on subsequent runs.

Any impressions on this?

rhino4evr

NullPointer said:

When I read "puzzle game" I think of games that will only be worthwhile on the first playthrough, and that once you "get" the puzzles they won't be fun on subsequent runs.

Any impressions on this?

I don't know, the puzzles in this game are so different that a few months from now you may have a hard time remembering how to solve them. The replay value isn't super high, but I could see myself playing it again. Once again, this game will probably take me 6-7 hours to finish. I don't think $15 is an unfair price.

pj

Banned
NullPointer said:

Any impressions on this?

I probably won't be playing it again until I forget all of the solutions

FrankT

Leaderboards update;

23,631 X $15=$354,465

I'm not sure what 1200 point games have done in the past, but this seems to be doing very well I would imagine.

Anyone have any reference measures for other top 1200pt games or otherwise for Live in the first two days or so?

sonicmj1

NullPointer said:

Any impressions on this?

It's not incredibly replayable. As you said, it's a puzzle game. And while the aesthetic and such make it enjoyable to be in the environment, you're still solving the same puzzles. I could imagine myself playing through it again solely for enjoyment one more time, but it wouldn't be quite as fresh.

Still, there are a few ways to keep yourself amused after your first completion, the speed runs that open up afterwards being one of them. Trying to do things in the fastest possible way is tough, but fun, and it forces you to think about the puzzles differently. You could even go for a full speed run of the entire game, and it'll time it.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
woah, just finished the game and the end was freaking amazing..

The last scenes where its quite obvious the queen is running from you, and she has her back agaisnt a gate trying to catch her breath was fucking awwesome!..

Damn I wish I could experience completing it for the first time and watching that again.

Finishing all the puzzles with no help what so ever also made it feel a whole lot better! like I actually achieved something :lol (one I thought I would never figure out)

Jtyettis said:
Leaderboards update;

23,631 X $15=$354,465

I'm not sure what 1200 point games have done in the past, but this seems to be doing very well I would imagine.

Anyone have any reference measures for other top 1200pt games or otherwise for Live in the first two days or so?
I forgot who posted this, but I saved this from the Geometry Wars 2 thread:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pTLj2bA3Ha6sqX74XbD7HWQ&gid=0 (not mine!)

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Jtyettis said:
Leaderboards update;

23,631 X $15=$354,465

Anyone have any reference measures for other top games in Live in the first two days or so?

Remember that blow doesn't get to keep it all.

He keeps 70%: $248,125
He keeps 50%: $177,232
He keeps 30%: $106,339

Regardless, since Blow did all the game design and programming himself, it seems like the game is doing well enough to justify all the months/years put into it. Even the publisher (MS published right?) takes 70%, that means in just a couple days Blow has earned 106K to split between himself and the artist. The music was just licensed, so that's not a rev split, either.

If the game would have been made by a more typical small dev team (3-8 peeps), then the game wouldn't be at the break-even point, yet. But it would certainly get there. Yay for long tails.

Hmm... I am interested in this game but I'll probably wait a while on buying it.

Between Geometry Wars 2 and Bad Company's Conquest mode I'll be busy enough for now.

Thanks for the impressions.

FrankT

dreammastah said:
Blow said he signed the contract a year ago before they changed the policies, so he's probably getting 70%.

A free promotional game from Toyota.

What is the current policy btw?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Dorfdad said:
Are you serious? I can understand why people would be concerned with throwing down $60 for a 6 hour game, but $15?! The game is cheap as hell and worth playing.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Dorfdad said:

I think they're easier then Zack and Wiki, but somewhat better. Even if the game is kinda short, I think it's worth $15.

Sushen said:

That:Braid::Casablanca:play It Again Sam

Blakero said:
Anyone know where I can get Braid Wallpapers?
They aren't technically wallpapers, but the artist, David Hellman, has a lot of good 720p screenshots on his blog. Check the bottom of his post on the title screen for a nice super-widescreen shot.

GDJustin said:
Regardless, since Blow did all the game design and programming himself, it seems like the game is doing well enough to justify all the months/years put into it. Even the publisher (MS published right?) takes 70%, that means in just a couple days Blow has earned 106K to split between himself and the artist. The music was just licensed, so that's not a rev split, either.
I wouldn't be surprised if more people than just Blow and Hellman will be taking a cut of the pay. The credits list was fairly long -- even though a lot of those were probably unpaid testers and XBLA staff, there was at least another artist (who did the initial character design) and a sound guy, off the top of my head.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
rohlfinator said:
I wouldn't be surprised if more people than just Blow and Hellman will be taking a cut of the pay. The credits list was fairly long -- even though a lot of those were probably unpaid testers and XBLA staff, there was at least another artist (who did the initial character design) and a sound guy, off the top of my head.

A lot of those people in the credits are publisher-side, though. They'll be getting paid out of the cut MS keeps. All the logistics stuff is on MS-side.

Those that are dev-side (I forgot about sound design and the original artist) were almost CERTAINLY paid up front. I mean, think about it. That initial art work was done yeeeaaars ago - wasn't Braid at IGF 2005? There's no way Blow was able to convince them to do all this work by saying "When the game is finished and comes out, I'll pay you a % of the revenue!" Yeah right. No, those original people were paid $X to provide Y assets, and that was it. That's most likely why Blow went into debt developing the game.

Top Bottom